• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The Official 2008/2009 NCAA Basketball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Georgetown leads Syracuse by 18 at the half. Freeman and Summers each with 12.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
sounds like a beatdown to me GO Hoyas

I gotta give the Orangemen credit: they didn't let it slip away any further with the Hoyas burying threes all night. Boeheim got out of that sometimes shitty zone when G'Town started running. Of course he did his usual thing and blamed his team instead of complementing his opponent. Summers is the star of the Hoya team but Thompson has this soph from the Ukraine or somewhere named Nikita Mescheriakov who looks promising.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
NC is mortal after all. Wake beats them but they lead Virginia big early. They couldn't stop Teague Sunday but they seem to be handling Landesberg tonight. The BMs struggled against NW earlier. Johnson's 14 blocks helped on the comeback. Purdue is still #19 but have four teams ahead of them in the Big10.:confused: I hope they win and maintain that ranking. They play us next.

Oklahoma beats Texas 78-63--Jeff Capel finally defeated the Longhorns with good play in the paint and 10 rebounds from sophomore forward Blake Griffin. The Sooners maintained the lead in the Big12 with Baylor in second and a date with OU Jan. 24th.

Oh yeah! My Sooners are taking it all the way to the NC this year(only to lose to UNC in title game. Will my Sooners ever win?! :( ).

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
USC upsets #16 AZ State 61-49--Freshman phenom DeMar DeRozan had 22 but Coach Floyd set the Trojan pace by denying Sun Devil star James Hardin a chance. If it wasn't Hackett in his face it was someone else. Lewis and Gibson combined for 29 points in the SC win and the Trojans won it in the stretch while only shooting 30% from the field.
While we're on the topic of the PAC10--I chose UCLA in my Final Four last year because I know what a great program they have. Ben Howland has recruited strongly in-state and has put together a well-balanced team. But Bruin fans don't blow Gabriel's trumpet yet. The Bruins have played a favorable schedule, beating a few quality teams--USC, Wyoming, and AZ--losing to a good but unranked Wolverine team. The PAC is a grueling pit this year with UCLA standing out, but let's see how it plays out in conference. Take a look at how other teams in the conference did overall against non-conference quality teams. If UCLA rises to the top at tournament time, how well do you think they'll do when every game plays against a top-tier squad?

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Oh yeah! My Sooners are taking it all the way to the NC this year(only to lose to UNC in title game. Will my Sooners ever win?! :( ).

I like the Sooners this year, and the Big12 is tight with TAM beating Baylor. I'm just afraid that opponents will find a way to neutralize Griffin and render the team damn near flat. OK has difficulty at the charity stripe. The 1-3-1 zone and the full court press are Capel's big go-to weapons. Capel hesitates to go to the bench unless there's foul trouble. Warren needs to be more consistent from the arc and Crocker has to be more aggressive in the paint. If the Sooners have a weekness, it's back court inconsistency. Capel needs to use his bench more and stop building a wall around Griffin--his opponents see that wall easily.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
It was good to see UCLA get exposed last night. That team was severely over-rated.

UCLA wasn't expecting the zone the Devils put up. That's Sendek's first win over the Bruins. Harden And Pendergraph had good games.
My team looked flat in the first half but put it together in the second. Only 40% from the field but 18 offensive rebounds. The crowd noise at The Bres was deafening according to Weber. The Illini couldn't hear the coaches from the sides yelling at them to foul at the end.
And how about those Cardinals? Williams and Clark put on a rebounding show and the team shut down the Panthers down the stretch. Pitino loves to use that full court press.

UCLA wasn't expecting the zone the Devils put up. That's Sendek's first win over the Bruins. Harden And Pendergraph had good games.

UCLA's a very athletic defensive team but they've got virtually no low post presence. They'll live or die based on their perimiter shooting, which is no way to make a fourth consecutive final four. Tall, physical teams will be real difficult matchups for the Bruins.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
There were some good matches yesterday, with Pitt beating the yo-yo Orangemen bolstered by the resurgent Sam Young's 22; then there was Kansas busting up TAM for their 35th straight home win. But the team I want to mention are the forgotten stepchildren of the Big East. Yes, I'm talking about the Providence Friars. The team is 12-6 following the win over the Bearcats, giving coach Keno Davis a 4-2 in-conference record, in arguably the most grueling schedule in college basketball. This squad doesn't have any stars--just a cohesive team that plays well together. They have point guard Sharaud Curry and center Jonathan Kale. They have subs Marshon Brooks and Randall Hanke. They are sixth in a conference surrounded by eight other teams all of whom are ranked. Providence is not ranked. They lost to a decent Northeastern team and a one-loss St. Mary's team. They played both Marquette and Georgetown tough. Davis has a limited bench, but he rotates it pretty effectively. He keeps players fresh. If he can keep them consistent and out of foul trouble he can make strides in the conference.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Upsets...upsets...upsets...
--My Spartans finally played limp and had it come up and grab 'em. Northwestern bitch slaps us 70-63 with Kevin Coble dropping every shot he threw up. Izzo still can't beat the 1-3-1.
--VTech drops the Deacons 78-71 thanks in part to 16 turnovers. Gaudio blamed his defense.
--The Gamecocks knock off Florida 70-69 on a last second Zam Fredrick layup. If Donovan wanted to win he should have scored more points down the stretch.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
--Looks like the Sooners have found a way NOT to pile it all up on Blake Griffin's shoulders. On the other hand, maybe he likes it that way. He scored 20 with 17 rebounds in the win over Baylor yesterday. Senior forward Taylor Griffin dropped 18 and fresh Warren added 17 to the cause. How good is this team if opponents find a way to block out Johnson and limit Griffin? Who knows.
--DePaul kept with the Golden Eagles, but lost 79-70 mainly on the defensive pressure Buzz Williams managed in the second half. The Birds only shot 32% in the half but held the Demons and soph forward Dar Tucker in place. Tucker scored 18, but seven of those were from the line. Jerel McNeal scored 21 for the Eagles and Lazar Hayward had 17 boards.
--Tennessee couldn't manage a last-second offense and fell to #22 Memphis 54-52 in Knoxville. Remember the Vols gave the Tigers their only loss last season. Tyreke Evans led the Tiger scorers yesterday with 17, but I'm giving props to Tenn's Wayne Chism, the junior forward scored the final 11 for the Vols and kept them in it in the stretch.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Seton Hall Shocks Georgetown 65-60--The Pirates are having a down year...but don't tell that to coach Bobby Gonzalez. Despite missing every 3-point attempt, SH won on the mid-range shooting of usually-reliable arcman Jeremy Hazell, who scored 23. The Hoyas were miserable from the floor in the second half shooting only 25%. Gonzalez used his zone effectively as the Pirates held Monroe to 17.

I'm rooting for UCLA!

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
A couple of tonight's games:

Texas at Baylor--Although the 'Horns own the Bears, it ain't been by much lately. Normally I would say bet on the streak. But it's at Floyd Casey Stadium. And Scott Drew has a lot to prove after that Sooner game debacle. Look for Coach Drew to test that vaunted Texas D with a back court ball control attack led by Jarrells. They'll test the three, but also be wary of a Horns team that prides itself in the takeaway. Meanwhile, Texas coach Rick Barnes has employed the motion screen to give his forwards latitude to hit open mid-court shots and posts. It's working. But it takes away from the "hot player" aspect a lot. Maybe that's enough. But Baylor will look at the TAM game: and a way to hold James and Abrams.
Kentucky at Mississippi--Wildcats coach Bill Gillispie has to be watching Minnesota basketball films. He's coach Smith's heir apparent. Still, he has rising star junior guard Jodie Meeks and Ramon Harris when he's consistent. The Rebels have injury issues but they don't want to keep their current losing streak going. Coach Kennedy might rely on star Chris Warren who averages 20 a game. Maybe he should also be aware of Kentucky's prevalence for turnovers and foul trouble. If 'Ole Miss has a chance to win, that's where it'll happen.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Turns out it was junior guard David Huertas who led the team, along with Terrico White and Malcolm White, in the upset of the Cats. Warren sat out the game with a knee injury along with several other players. But who needed them? Congrats to coach Kennedy and the Rebel team.:thumbsup:

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Hottest Teams Heading Into The Stretch

--Louisville: They've won nine straight. Their most pronounced loss of the three they have was against Western Kentucky, who leads the Sun Belt East. Unheralded forward Terrence Williams is the bulwark to Pitino's team, leading in rebounds, assists and steals. Pitino has a deep bench featuring Knowles and Jennings.
--Providence: I warned you about these guys. They've climbed to fifth place in the Big East. They are a strong, cohesive, fast team led by--well, everybody on the roster. Coach Davis has all stars, but watch out for Curry and Efejuku. They face UConn at Gampel Pavillion Saturday, where the Friars are winners of four straight.
--Wake Forest: The Deacons shook off a loss to VTech by beating Duke and coach K 70-68. They have scored 80 or more 12 times this season, led by soph guard Jeff Teague. If Aminu can stay out of foul trouble he'll give coach Dino Gaudio a good one-two.
--Memphis: The Cats have faced a favorable schedule in a year that is down for Conference USA. Their remaining schedule is relatively favorable, with some decent but beatable teams in their conference. They face the Zags in a week--their biggest test of the back half. Calipari plays a strong motion game in transition. Keep an eye on freshman Tyreke Evans.
--Butler: Talk about favorable schedules! But the Dogs are talented. Coach Brad Stevens has two big weapons in Hayward and Howard, plus a bench that works as cohesively as any. Their arc shooting and fast play will IMO push them deep into the tournament.

Skyraider22

The One and Only Big Daddy
Hottest Teams Heading Into The Stretch

--Louisville: They've won nine straight. Their most pronounced loss of the three they have was against Western Kentucky, who leads the Sun Belt East. Unheralded forward Terrence Williams is the bulwark to Pitino's team, leading in rebounds, assists and steals. Pitino has a deep bench featuring Knowles and Jennings.
--Providence: I warned you about these guys. They've climbed to fifth place in the Big East. They are a strong, cohesive, fast team led by--well, everybody on the roster. Coach Davis has all stars, but watch out for Curry and Efejuku. They face UConn at Gampel Pavillion Saturday, where the Friars are winners of four straight.
--Wake Forest: The Deacons shook off a loss to VTech by beating Duke and coach K 70-68. They have scored 80 or more 12 times this season, led by soph guard Jeff Teague. If Aminu can stay out of foul trouble he'll give coach Dino Gaudio a good one-two.
--Memphis: The Cats have faced a favorable schedule in a year that is down for Conference USA. Their remaining schedule is relatively favorable, with some decent but beatable teams in their conference. They face the Zags in a week--their biggest test of the back half. Calipari plays a strong motion game in transition. Keep an eye on freshman Tyreke Evans.
--Butler: Talk about favorable schedules! But the Dogs are talented. Coach Brad Stevens has two big weapons in Hayward and Howard, plus a bench that works as cohesively as any. Their arc shooting and fast play will IMO push them deep into the tournament.

I like where you are going with this maildude these are some great team right now when March rolls around they could be even dangerous Good call

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Some surprises:
Butler is dropped by Wisconsin Green Bay--Senior guard Ryan Tillema scored 21 and the Phoenix was 32-35 from the line(!). Remember...WGB is 10-2 in the Horizon League. The 75-66 win was heralded by the Dogs' propensity for fouls--and the Birds' ability to convert. Congrats to coach Kowalczyk and the team.:thumbsup:
--UConn had an easier time with Louisville than most expected, bolstered by a team effort led by senior forward Jeff Adrien, who scored 18. Despite the Huskie's lack of a perimeter game, they managed to stop the Cards, with the exception of Williams who netted 26. Louisville killed themselves with fouls, and the Huskers jumped on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.