• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The Official 2008/2009 NCAA Basketball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Okay guys March is coming up and where do you see your team being seeded and where do you think they will be placed I think Duke will be a 2or 3 seed adn will say in the east.......Watch out for Memphis since Evans has started they are 14-0 they play Southern Miss this afternoon on CBS college sports channel that is channel 222 for comcast users:thumbsup:

Nobody knows the brackets and regions for sure until Selection Saturday. I see Seton Hall gave UConn a scare, as did Georgetown to Syracuse. I watched the game Jodie Meeks had for Kentucky, and I caught the UCLA crumble over another Arizona school. Hard to call anything at this point. Memphis looks good but during their streak their only impressive wins have come in a close one at Tennessee and a good win against Gonzaga. Pitt at UConn is the game to see next Monday. The Sooners and Griffin are playing as well as anybody right now. LSU looks good but has enjoyed a pretty favorable schedule. We'll see how they do come the SEC tournament.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Things are tightening up as March draws closer. I've noticed the favorites are playing their benches more and some of the scores are narrowing. But I was surprised at what Louisville accomplished so easily against Providence. Williams being back was a big bump.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
...and Oklahoma drops #2 in a row, this time to the Jayhawks 87-78--again without Griffin. I said it before: with Griff out of the picture, the Sooners are a different team. Cole Aldrich of Kansas had 20 rebounds as he was able to dominate inside, OK coach Jeff Capel knows what he needs to do as long as his top player is sidelined with a concussion: consistent play from Warren and Pattillo and a tougher press late in the game--when Sooner reserves tend to peter out. Next up for Kansas is Missouri, a home game for the Hawks which well could determine the Big12. Two of OK's three final regular-season games are on the road, including one game at the Tigers of Mizzou.

is it me or is everyone who plays against blake griffin tries to knock him out? there was that usc guy who nut punched him (rofl material) and well the concussion he recently received. is it because he's a dirty player, or do players just don't like him?

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
is it me or is everyone who plays against blake griffin tries to knock him out? there was that usc guy who nut punched him (rofl material) and well the concussion he recently received. is it because he's a dirty player, or do players just don't like him?

Same as the NFL. Take out the star player...especially when he's practically the whole team himself.
Fucking Providence. Louisville rips the hell out of them, followed by an ass-whipping at the hands of the Irish, then they turn around and wallop Pitt. Keno Davis got a good effort from senior guard Weyinmi Efejuku with 16 and Curry with 15, but the Friars are inconsistent against ranked teams, in or out of the Donuts Center. If Prov wants to make the Tourney, they have to beat Rutgers and probably Villanova, both on the road.
LSU beat Florida to claim at least a share of the SEC championship. They won the West already, and the East is a dog fight. I'm starting to wonder what kind of shape a lot of the SEC'ers will be in come the Tourney.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
As we creep closer to Bracket Bananasville very few surprises...a couple of not-so-shocking upsets:
Florida State beats Clemson 73-66--Tiger coach Oliver Purnell ought to worry about being 3-4 in their last seven, especially with Potter and Sykes playing so inconsistently. K.C. Rivers cannot single-handedly hold up this team. They have Wake coming and the danger of damaging their seeding. The Seminoles were not overly remarkable despite Douglas' 23 points. The Tigers did foul a lot especially late--duh!--but the 'Noles hit 67% from the stripe. Clemson had 23 turnovers but outrebounded the Seminoles. The two teams are now tied in the ACC.
Georgetown Unceremoniously Upends Villanova 56-54--It didn't take a lot of fireworks, just the Wildcats' 33% from the floor, 19% from the arc, and uncharacteristic sloppy play overall for the Hoyas to come away with a tough win. Thompson and Co. won't be making the tournament, but they didn't give a damn, forcing a season high 20 turnovers and getting a tip-top game from sophomore guard Chris Wright. The Cats face both Notre Dame and Providence ahead--two teams fighting for a tournament seeding.

As we creep closer to Bracket Bananasville very few surprises...a couple of not-so-shocking upsets:
Florida State beats Clemson 73-66--Tiger coach Oliver Purnell ought to worry about being 3-4 in their last seven, especially with Potter and Sykes playing so inconsistently. K.C. Rivers cannot single-handedly hold up this team. They have Wake coming and the danger of damaging their seeding. The Seminoles were not overly remarkable despite Douglas' 23 points. The Tigers did foul a lot especially late--duh!--but the 'Noles hit 67% from the stripe. Clemson had 23 turnovers but outrebounded the Seminoles. The two teams are now tied in the ACC.
Georgetown Unceremoniously Upends Villanova 56-54--It didn't take a lot of fireworks, just the Wildcats' 33% from the floor, 19% from the arc, and uncharacteristic sloppy play overall for the Hoyas to come away with a tough win. Thompson and Co. won't be making the tournament, but they didn't give a damn, forcing a season high 20 turnovers and getting a tip-top game from sophomore guard Chris Wright. The Cats face both Notre Dame and Providence ahead--two teams fighting for a tournament seeding.

Clemson's seeding will not be a problem. For whatever reason, they play to the level of their competition. So having a higher seed might be a disadvantage for them. As for KC carrying the team, he is the captain, and he likes having the guys on his back. But yes, TO needs to start getting open more and Stitt desperately needs to cut down on the turnovers.

The Tigers will be fine (I hope). At least they're getting it out of their system now instead of waiting until the tourney.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Michigan State Earns At Least A Share Of The Big 10, Beating Illinois 74-66--Tom Izzo played giant-killer, by putting in his own giant: 7'0 260-lb sophomore center Idong Ibok, to face Illini big threat Mike Tisdale, and it worked, as the seldom-used Nigerian student held Tisdale scoreless in the last 7 minutes. Kaylin Lucas' 18 coupled with Raymar Morgan's 14 paced the Spartans and the Izzo transition game proved enough to seal the victory. MichState's 11 steals, 17 turnovers, and Goran Sutton's 10 boards added to the tempo.

I think it's time for my USC Trojans to shitcan Tim Floyd. The team has been garbage every year he's been coach. Even last year the team was nothing because we basically featured OJ Mayo 100%. If Mayo was on, we won. If he wasn't we lost. It's the same thing over again with DeMar DeRozen. Except DeRozen actually sucks, might be a bust, and has no business heading off to the NBA this year.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
DeRozen leaving early--if it happens--smells of mistakes. He was a HS star at Compton but his college numbers as a freshman aren't overwhelming: 50% FG and averaging 1 assist and 2 PFs a game points to lack of experience. Taj Gibson is playing as well as anybody right now, but the Trojans lack two crucial things: size and consistency.
The Huskies should beat Seattle in a What-The-Hell outer conference game tonight. They have to win that and at home against WashSt to win the title. Why? Because UCLA has O and O State left--two games they ought to win.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Statement-Making Time:

Gonzaga Upends S.C.-Upstate 90-40--The 'Dogs decided to schedule the WhodaHell Spartans, who happen to be eighth in the powerhouse Atlantic Sun Conference, just before the WCC tourney. Not a bad idea considering St. Mary's is no pushover, although the Zags beat them twice this season in close games. Coach Mark Few watched as his team bull-dozed the overmatched Spartans, causing 26 TOs resulting in 37 points. Kudos to everybody on the team...and to SCUU coach Eddie Payne, "Welcome to Division 1."
Washington Wallops Seattle(?) 87-60--In a similar vein, the Huskies handled the Redhawks in a make-up game that ended up being more physical than coach Lorenzo Romar likely expected. Senior forward John Brockman led the way with 16 nets and 10 boards. Seattle missed 18 0f 21 to start the game--probably not too long before the 250 Seattle fans left the complex. Hawks coach Joe Callero wrote it down as a "learning" experience.
Syracuse Stymies Rutgers 70-40--The Orangemen got spurned by the Selectors the last two seasons for the tourney, so they wanted to give their status a little boost. With the Friars on their heels who could blame them? After a necrotic first half, Syracuse exploded for 51 in the second, led by junior guard Andy Rautins' 11 and Paul Harris's 18. Knights coach Fred Hill got a good game from Mike Rosario with 16, but the match still resulted in Rutgers' eighth straight loss.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Some of the key games:
Syracuse Upends Marquette in OT 86-79--Buzz Williams has had to deal with the season loss of senior guard Dominic James since late February, but now his team has lost four in a row heading into the tournament. Boeheim and the Boys hit the Golden Eagles with 56% from the floor vs 39% and the fine play of soph Jonny Flynn who dropped 24. Marq rallied late but the Orange tied it up to force OT.
Pittsburgh Beats UConn For Second Time 70-60--Despite Louisville's season win of the conference, the Panthers don't mind settling for #2 heading into the conference tournament, not if they can get a repeat performance from senior forward Sam Young who had 31-10. Neither team was exceptional from the floor, but Pitt's Levance Fields and the team combined for 18 assists.
Auburn Tops LSU 69-53--In a year where the LSU Tigers have shown critics their grittiness, coach Trent Johnson finds his team with two straight losses headed into post season. Led by senior forward Korvotney Barber's 16-17 double-double, the Auburn Tiges used the inside game to control the LSU pace and star Tasmin Mitchell.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
I'll take my medicine: College of Charleston Eliminates Davidson from Southern Conference Tournament 59-52--Neither team shot well, but Davidson shot worse--31% from the field and just 13% from the arc. Much of this was to do with sophomore forward Antwaine Wiggins who covered Wildcats star Stephen Curry like a glove. The Cougars face Chattanooga Monday for the SoCon championship and an auto-bid to the tournament. We'll see if coach Bobby Cremens' half-court defense works again. In any case, Davidson is likely gone from the big dance since no SoCon team has ever received an at-large bid.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Horizon League final tense. Butler down by 2 with the ball and :43 left...sloppy, sloppy ball-handling and missed shots by Butler. Cleveland State 57-54. Cedric Jackson with 19-7. The Dogs hit just 39% from the field and the Vikes hit from over 50% from outside. Nored looked like hell for the Dogs. I'd love to see Brad Stevens' post game comments.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Impossible to call...--Get your brackets ready. And maybe a rabbit's foot. Calling this season's 64 is gonna be like doing calculus. There are NO teams that I would consider locks. Hell...I'm not even confident about 50% of the top seeded teams, whoever they may be. I was on cbssports.com the other night "watching" the Horizon League final. Two good teams pitted against one another in tournament heat. Then it occurred to me: Have I ever seen a year like this? Probably not. So, get out your 8-Ball and dust off your Ouija board. It may end up being like the time a few years back, when I participated in a group bracket pool. As many of you know, I follow sports very closely. But did I win that pool? Nope. That pool was won by some ten-year-old kid who filled the whole bracket out with a grease pencil. Be prepared.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
We won't know who the #1 seeds will be until tomorrow night. But in my mind, USC has the top-seeded cheerleaders in the NCAA. That blond has my furnace firing. :eek: In other news, the Trojans are keeping it close against AZ State.

We won't know who the #1 seeds will be until tomorrow night. But in my mind, USC has the top-seeded cheerleaders in the NCAA. That blond has my furnace firing. :eek: In other news, the Trojans are keeping it close against AZ State.

Do you remember where earlier in this thread I wrote that it was maybe time to fire Tim Floyd...and that DeMar DeRozen had the look of an overhyped bust...well...let's all feel free to disregard that:thefinger

FIGHT ON USC! Take that bubble teams--harharharhar:thefinger

Status
Not open for further replies.