• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

2010/2011 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the University of Florida's choice in hiring Will Muschamp. I wish him luck.

I'm just glad they didn't come after Gus Malzahn! I know he won't be at Auburn forever, but next year is gonna be rough for the Tigers. I would say it's a given that Cam will go pro and losing all those seniors is gonna hurt as well.

Congratulations to Cam Newton winning the 2010 Heisman Trophy award.
(The implosion continues at Bama and how their season last year has been completely overshadowed.)

I like the University of Florida's choice in hiring Will Muschamp. I wish him luck.

MM, true the kid had a great year, but as a Bama alum, trust me when I say that most of us are not jealous at all... we had ours last year, and AU will more than likely get everything stripped from them once the FBI investigation is over of their "pay for play" scam. Winning isn't everything when it's done the wrong way... GO DUCKS! :)

If you are interested, a Buckeye fan summarized why AU is doomed in this posting (below), and why the story didn't explode a few weeks ago (evidence in the case aonnot be released until indictments are handed out). If I was an AU guy, I'd be completely pissed at what has been going on at my university...

http://theclevelandfan.com/ohio-sta...all-of-bobby-lowder-and-the-fallout-at-auburn

AU will more than likely get everything stripped from them once the FBI investigation is over of their "pay for play" scam. Winning isn't everything when it's done the wrong way... GO DUCKS! :)

If you are interested, a Buckeye fan summarized why AU is doomed in this posting (below), and why the story didn't explode a few weeks ago (evidence in the case aonnot be released until indictments are handed out). If I was an AU guy, I'd be completely pissed at what has been going on at my university...

http://theclevelandfan.com/ohio-sta...all-of-bobby-lowder-and-the-fallout-at-auburn

First off, I'll agree that Auburn needs to rid itself of Lowder. His actions before the 2004 season when they met privately with Petrino were truly despicable.

Second, I began reading the story in the link you provided and quickly realized the author was an ignorant buffoon. I get extremely pissed off when people spread stories based on wrong information. When I got to the part of the story where he brought up Eric Ramsey, I realized his ignorance and here is why: The NCAA investigated Auburn based solely on the Ramsey tapes. The NCAA turned over the tapes to the FBI to have them verified, and while the FBI did that, the NCAA continued their investigation and ultimately discovered some issues, but here's the part most people conveniently forget. The FBI's report on the Ramsey tapes concluded that the tapes were FAKE! Also, at that time, the NCAA had made copies of the tapes, gave them to Auburn and they also had some experts check them. Both the FBI and Auburn reports on those tapes were identical in where the tapes had been faked.

Lastly, here's something to think about... Jackie Sherrill once said, "Give me a team of investigators and 6 weeks, and I will find wrongdoing at any college in the country." Sadly, that's probably true and will remain true until the NCAA revises some of it's outdated rules and their draconian methods of investigation/enforcement.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Sorry to see Muschamp go but I can't blame him for taking the offer. He's a terrific defensive coach. He'll do well.

In the meantime, keep an eye on ex-Miami HC Randy Shannon to become the new defensive coordinator to replace Muschamp. Hopefully, Mack Brown can talk Major Applewhite into staying as OC unless somehow Norm Chow makes himself available. Let the merry-go-round begin.

First off, I'll agree that Auburn needs to rid itself of Lowder. His actions before the 2004 season when they met privately with Petrino were truly despicable.

Second, I began reading the story in the link you provided and quickly realized the author was an ignorant buffoon. I get extremely pissed off when people spread stories based on wrong information. When I got to the part of the story where he brought up Eric Ramsey, I realized his ignorance and here is why: The NCAA investigated Auburn based solely on the Ramsey tapes. The NCAA turned over the tapes to the FBI to have them verified, and while the FBI did that, the NCAA continued their investigation and ultimately discovered some issues, but here's the part most people conveniently forget. The FBI's report on the Ramsey tapes concluded that the tapes were FAKE! Also, at that time, the NCAA had made copies of the tapes, gave them to Auburn and they also had some experts check them. Both the FBI and Auburn reports on those tapes were identical in where the tapes had been faked.

Lastly, here's something to think about... Jackie Sherrill once said, "Give me a team of investigators and 6 weeks, and I will find wrongdoing at any college in the country." Sadly, that's probably true and will remain true until the NCAA revises some of it's outdated rules and their draconian methods of investigation/enforcement.

While the blog is certainly one guy's take on what has been going on, I only provided the link because it's the best overall summary of what seems to be an institutionalized system of pay-for-play going on at Auburn, and it's history dates back to the 80s if not before... There are some "opinions" in the blog, but the facts are there too.

Does anyone except maybe the biggest Auburn fanatics out there REALLY believe that Cam didn't know that his dad asked for money from MSU? Does anyone REALLY believe that AU didn't pay after his dad at first denied anything, then said yes, but he didn't get any money to send Cammy to AU? How does the Rev. Newton explain his sudden financial success last year? Does anyone really believe that the institutionalized cheating ever stopped? I mean, how does a school with a 7-5 record pull in a top 5 recruiting class with an unproven head coach?

Again, the facts won't come out until the FBI investigation is over, but I'm hearing from people that know a little about it and they claim that AU paid not just Cammy, but 17 players currently on their roster. And given the circumstantial evidence that we know, it's not a stretch to believe it.

Someone just said this to me about Cam N.:

Be involved in theft at college, cheat in a class, have your dad shop you around for big bucks, throw touchdown passes, win the Heisman. The new ladder of athletic success.

Be involved in theft at college, cheat in a class, have your dad shop you around for big bucks, throw touchdown passes, win the Heisman. The new ladder of athletic success.

Sadly, is he a reflection of society? Win, achieve success, and all is forgiven?

Or will this all come crashing down eventually? :dunno:

... I only provided the link because it's the best overall summary of what seems to be an institutionalized system of pay-for-play going on at Auburn, and it's history dates back to the 80s if not before... There are some "opinions" in the blog, but the facts are there too.
You can't trust that blog as fact when the author put so much emphasis on the Eric Ramsey tapes and the FBI proved those tapes were fake.
Does anyone except maybe the biggest Auburn fanatics out there REALLY believe that Cam didn't know that his dad asked for money from MSU? Does anyone REALLY believe that AU didn't pay after his dad at first denied anything, then said yes, but he didn't get any money to send Cammy to AU? How does the Rev. Newton explain his sudden financial success last year? Does anyone really believe that the institutionalized cheating ever stopped? I mean, how does a school with a 7-5 record pull in a top 5 recruiting class with an unproven head coach?
How did Auburn pull in a top 5 class? Quite simply, Gus Malzahn! Offensive players want to go to a school with a high-octane offense, and Auburn's offensive coordinator has a proven track record at every school he's ever coached at.

As for the Cecil Newton's supposed windfall, if that is even true, it could be from his church, but I doubt that. It is possible that it may have come from Cam's brother, Cecil Jr., an offensive lineman for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Again, the facts won't come out until the FBI investigation is over, but I'm hearing from people that know a little about it and they claim that AU paid not just Cammy, but 17 players currently on their roster. And given the circumstantial evidence that we know, it's not a stretch to believe it.
I would say it's an extreme stretch! I can't say with absolute certainty that Auburn didn't pay a player here or there, just as you can't say that about whatever team you pull for.

As for your sources, I have my own, one of them with an inside line to the athletic department and they don't seem worried at all. Although, I will add there hasn't been any talk about Bobby Lowder, so maybe the FBI does have something on him. If so, there's no word if it could be connected to Auburn. From the info I know of, the FBI seems to be focusing on Milton McGregor for possibly bribing politicians to repeal the gambling laws in Alabama, and the reason Auburn was brought up was because Milton donated 1 million to the university.

First, the cheated in class allegation was miconstrued. From the info I was given, he bought a couple of term papers, not cheated on a test. As for the theft charge :dunno: His explanation does seem plausible.

Sorry to see Muschamp go but I can't blame him for taking the offer. He's a terrific defensive coach. He'll do well.

In the meantime, keep an eye on ex-Miami HC Randy Shannon to become the new defensive coordinator to replace Muschamp. Hopefully, Mack Brown can talk Major Applewhite into staying as OC unless somehow Norm Chow makes himself available. Let the merry-go-round begin.

Golden hired as Hurricanes coach

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP)—Al Golden led a turnaround at Temple. He now has a chance to engineer another at Miami.

Golden was hired as the Hurricanes’ coach Sunday. He replaces Randy Shannon, fired Nov. 27 after Miami completed a 7-5 regular season and fell to 28-22 in his four seasons at his alma mater.

Golden received a five-year contract. Financial terms were not disclosed, but the total value of the deal was expected to be worth up to $2 million annually.

“From the beginning of this process, one candidate stood above the rest as the right fit,” athletic director Kirby Hocutt said in a statement. “We are proud to welcome Al Golden to The U. His desire, leadership, communications skills and preparedness stood above the rest, and he is the right man to meet the championship expectations of this program.”

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-miami-golden

Muschamp is a great coach. He did a great job at Auburn during his tenure there, and did even better at Texas. If he can find a great offensive coordinator like Chizik did, Florida will be contending in no time.

:rolleyes: It still baffles me why people think Auburn did something wrong. The fact is, Cam Newton did make some minor mistakes at Florida. Who hasn't made mistakes. As for the pay-for-play crap, Mississippi and yes, Cam's stupid father did commit a serious infraction, but Auburn knew nothing about that. The SEC was informed of the scandal before the season even began, but as the allegations were against Mississippi, they had no reason to tell Auburn that Cam should not play. Everyone should also remember, Auburn declared Cam ineligible and the NCAA cleared him to play! What really pisses me off is all those idiot Heisman voters who intentionally left Cam off their ballots. Personally, I didn't care if he won it or not, but those voters allowed themselves to be swayed by hearsay and ignorance. As such, those 100 or so moronic voters should never again be allowed to vote on anything to due with college football! The same goes for those fools of the FWAA and leaving Cam off the All-American team. These are the same idiots who rescinded USC's national championship from the 2004 season and stated that there would be no champion for that year. :rolleyes: My overall point here is this, let the NCAA do their job and stop listening to all the gossip the media spreads. The fact is, the media never wants a story to die. The longer they keep it alive, then the majority of the gullible public will tune in, and just give their hard-earned money to the media business.

Holly Newton and Auburn apologist Batman. Somebody not giving a crap about the NCAAs rules or thinking they're stupid is one thing. To not care one way or another for some other reason is one thing also, but to somehow try and make it out like Cam Newton or Auburn are getting a raw deal anywhere with the media or the people around the country is laughable. In the end no matter what he's going to cash out big, and anybody with a shred of common sense knows the overwhelming amount of circumstantial evidence points to him being not only guilty, but not that great of a person either even if it's not yet proven in a beyond reasonable doubt court of law type of way...yet. Luckily people's opinion and even the NCAA isn't a court of law. It's just too bad the NCAA let profit and prestige override common sense or the integrity of the game. The fact the NCAA twisted it's own rules to let him play with just the violations we know about is absurd. The media gets stupid in a lot of things, but this isn't one of them. Newton deserves not only all the flak that comes his way, but a lot more.

Lets see. Cam's father was shopping him around. It would be almost impossible for him to do that and be successful without Cam in on it somehow. Only the most hardcore naive Auburn fan or the most naive people could ever really believe Cam was innocent of that. Somebody has stated Cam went to Auburn because the "money was too good". His father seems to have gotten an influx of cash. After being shopped around I have a hard time believing Cam then suddenly went somewhere out of the kindness of his heart or because he thought it was a good program and for free, at Auburn no less. At Florida Cam had to know he had a stolen item at Florida just using the reasonable person standard and that's why he threw it out the window. I also can't think of any other way to describe what he did there other than cheating. Yeah, somebody would have to be delusional at this point to think Auburn didn't pay for him and probably other people to. People think Auburn did something wrong because they probably did something wrong. It's not that hard to figure out. People would also have to be delusional to think either Newton or his father are nice decent people.

As far as the voters that left him off go, while voters often make stupid or highly unethical decisions this isn't something like somebody purposely leaving another player off the ballot of putting them artificially low so a player they like or who plays for a team they are a fan of gets ahead. I also don't see it as them just screwing up in determining who really is the best. I don't see any problem with voters using issues of whether they think the person should actually have been eligible at all in the first place, whether they think the candidate broke the rules of the sport and award he's up for, or taking into account if a person's personal conduct to be so incredibly poor as to detrimentally tarnish the award and their being a good chance to have it tarnished in the future when there is a good chance more is going to come about the candidate. While a good amount of voters might be stupid a lot of the time they aren't going by rumors and innuendo here they are going by commons sense and the evidence that is already out there. (Not to mention the stuff that has a good chance to already come out.)

Cam Newton and Auburn haven’t gotten a raw deal. They have lied, cheated, gotten huge amounts of money, will get huge amounts of money in the future, and have gotten way ahead especially Cam Newton. Beyond the next game nothing can really happen to him that he really cares about.

If I were Muschamp I'd go for Major Applewhite (Texas) and Trooper Taylor (Auburn) to be co-offensive coordinators as well as position coaches. And Kirby Smart (Alabama) for the defense. That one could be tough to pull off.

As for Miami hiring Al Golden, I think they coulda did better. I've heard that Golden, though a good recruiter and motivator, is average at actually coaching. I heard somewhere that he never won a conference game against teams with a winning record while at Temple. Not a terrible choice, certainly better than the rumored Marc Trestman.

If I were Muschamp I'd go for Major Applewhite (Texas) and Trooper Taylor (Auburn) to be co-offensive coordinators as well as position coaches. And Kirby Smart (Alabama) for the defense. That one could be tough to pull off.

As for Miami hiring Al Golden, I think they coulda did better. I've heard that Golden, though a good recruiter and motivator, is average at actually coaching. I heard somewhere that he never won a conference game against teams with a winning record while at Temple. Not a terrible choice, certainly better than the rumored Marc Trestman.

Trestman probably would have been the best they could have done if they couldn't get Gruden. I'm surprised they couldn't pull that one together but I don't know how close or far the prospects for him actually were. After the Gruden thing fell through...as I understood it the Trustees felt it was somewhat of an embarrassment and Hocutt was 'advised' to keep close to the vest and settle the vacancy as soon as possible.

Back to Trestman...he was actually a Miami assistant under Johnson (I believe), a protege to Gruden and has just lead Montreal to back to back championships.

I would have thought he'd have actually been perfect for them. How hard of a sell could it be? After all, with the weather and taxes in Canada...how hard could it be to convince him to come to state income tax free Florida to coach in Miami for 3 or 4 million???

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
--Considering Vandy's new coach, VC Williams is tight-lipped. But Auburn OC Gus Malzahn is being whispered around. The Washington Post might have a lotta birdies working for them. But let's wait and see.
--I love the way Gil Brandt is practically pushing Cam into entering the draft early. What...does GilB get a commission from whoever Newton's agent is gonna be?
--Turns out Wisconsin DC Dave Doeren is IN as NI Huskies head coach. Kill went to Minnesota. A lotta Big 10/MAC shifting going on here. What's next? Toledo and Kent State in the Big14?
--Since we're talking coaches, what about OK State OC Dana Holgorsen as Pittsburgh general? Some other personalities--namely, Teryl Austin, Frank Cignetti, and Tom Bradley--are in the mix. Plus, Florida is courting Holg as OC under Muschamp.
--Congrats to Badger J.J. Watt for winning the Lott Trophy for defensive excellence. But Watt better deserves an award for his self-created charity benefiting local schools. For that more than anything, kudos!:bowdown:

886248.jpg

"Leaders" and "Legends"?
:2offtopic:lame:

Lust

Lost at Birth
If that turns out to be true, in the end, I'm sure he'll regret taking that job and end up leaving there within 3 years.

well now it looks like Auburn convinced him to stay. I thought that would have been a weird move had he gone to Vandy.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...AjqGnDzG6wKX56ulZrRyKHscvrYF?urn=ncaaf-295421

You'd think the Washington Post would be a little more reliable but then again, the coaching carousel this year has been one topsy turvy ride

Status
Not open for further replies.