• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

love guns?

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
"Hell, I would even go so far as to say a revolver for a first gun"

What's the difference between a revolver and a gun?? Is it the difference between a barrel (see pic) and a clip (as in Fac's image)?? :o

http://vision.stanford.edu/projects/OPTIMOL/main/revolver.jpg

Any firearm can be called a gun, unless you are in the military, then it's called a rifle, or weapon...unless you want to stand in the rain, holding your package in one hand, and your rifle in the other, reciting the following, over and over, and over'''

"This is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for killing, this is for fun."

All firearms can be called a gun, whether long or hand. The difference between a revolver and a PISTOL is this, in the picture your link leads to, you see a revolver, it's called this, because the bullets are put into the cylinder, which is the round thing, that rotates as the trigger is pulled. A pistol, such as the Kimber, is magazine fed, and the rounds are fed into the breach, as the weapon fires, and ejects the spent case, a new round is striped off of, and re loaded into the breech for firing. The revolver is easier to clean, and virtually never jams, but takes longer to load, and holds less rounds. The pistol requires field stripping to clean, which is a minor dis assembly, and they can miss feed or jam, but are much quicker to reload, and can hold up to 3 times as many rounds. All guns have barrels, whether they're handguns, or long guns. What you are referring to as a clip, is actually called a magazine, it's what holds the rounds, in an auto loading pistol. A clip, is something used to load some rifles, it holds the bullets in line, so you can push them into the guns internal magazine.

jasonk282

Banned
Any firearm can be called a gun, unless you are in the military, then it's called a rifle, or weapon...unless you want to stand in the rain, holding your package in one hand, and your rifle in the other, reciting the following, over and over, and over'''

Only in the movies does that happen, if you call it a gun you just have to do push ups, but damn some soldiers did A LOT of push ups.

Anbything bigger than a pistol is a rifle, anything having 100 or more rounds is a weapon.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
I would go with a revolver for a first gun. Mine is a .38 snub nose Colt

I agree with that^^^ - especially if it'll (potentially) be used for home defense. When you have a learner's permit, you don't get a Z06 Corvette as your first car.

All firearms can be called a gun, whether long or hand. The difference between a revolver and a PISTOL is this, in the picture your link leads to, you see a revolver, it's called this, because the bullets are put into the cylinder, which is the round thing, that rotates as the trigger is pulled. A pistol, such as the Kimber, is magazine fed, and the rounds are fed into the breach, as the weapon fires, and ejects the spent case, a new round is striped off of, and re loaded into the breech for firing. The revolver is easier to clean, and virtually never jams, but takes longer to load, and holds less rounds. The pistol requires field stripping to clean, which is a minor dis assembly, and they can miss feed or jam, but are much quicker to reload, and can hold up to 3 times as many rounds. All guns have barrels, whether they're handguns, or long guns. What you are referring to as a clip, is actually called a magazine, it's what holds the rounds, in an auto loading pistol. A clip, is something used to load some rifles, it holds the bullets in line, so you can push them into the guns internal magazine.

Thanks rev for the clarification:thumbsup:. Yes, I'm a little bit green with regards to the terminology used:o

Anyone know of a decent book on firearms/guns?? Thanks :)

Facetious

Moderated
Love guns. A guy is bringing a Glock model 29 for me to look at tonight. I may purchase it from him as he needs the cash. 10mm is something I haven't tried yet.

Today's commercial 10mm loadings are just a tad hotter than the hottest .40 S&W loadings you will find and that's a good thing for self def purposes.
When the first loadings of 10mm entered the market in approx 1983, they were sizz ling hot- too hot for public safety work, that's for certain: A 200 grainer @ 1200 fps at the muzzle ? That's damn close to 200 grain 44 mag ballistics !
Check this out on 10 mm. *Further down the page in the article you'll see the glock 29 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10mm_Auto

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
Today's commercial 10mm loadings are just a tad hotter than the hottest .40 S&W loadings you will find and that's a good thing for self def purposes.
When the first loadings of 10mm entered the market in approx 1983, they were sizz ling hot- too hot for public safety work, that's for certain: A 200 grainer @ 1200 fps at the muzzle ? That's damn close to 200 grain 44 mag ballistics !
Check this out on 10 mm. *Further down the page in the article you'll see the glock 29 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10mm_Auto

When they first came out, I really wanted one, then I heard the horror stories coming out about the Colt Delta Elites. I guess if I were to come across a really good deal on one, I would snag it, if it were the right brand. As you said, a hot .40 is very close...close enough, and I carry a .40, co I'm good. If I were to actively go on the prowl for one, I think I might look very hard at the new S&W tactical revolver, chambered for 10mm/.40S&W...best of both, and about as reliable as it comes. But it would be VERY far down the list.

bump :bigear:

Sweet! Awesome thread! Glad you bumped it! :D

I just "built" a 3rd AR with an Olympic Arms 9mm upper and S&W M&P lower. Right now it has an old pre-ban A2 stock and pistol grip. I'm gonna fit it with a Magpul MIAD grip and stock after Chri$tmas.

I'm gonna go test it out this weekend with my buddy, who's bringing is KRISS Super V. I'm eager to see how both of them shoot.

A Glock in 10mm still scares me. I saw my first and only kB with a G20. The guy claimed he wasn't shooting reloads. It blew the magazine and magazine release out, but thankfully he still had all ten fingers.

I've put 3,000 rounds through my G17 and over 1,000 through my G38...never a problem. But I don't trust it in 10mm.

Anybody here carry? If so, what?

I bought a Taurus PT145 Pro figuring it'd be a fun .45 plinker and after about 400 rounds of zero FTFs and damn fine accuracy for a compact, I decided to use it for my carry gun.

I like the idea of 10+1 rounds of 230gr HydraShok on my hip.

Marlo Manson

Hello Sexy girl how your Toes doing?
After shooting my bro's G22 I have convinced myself I am buying 1, but then I saw some ballistic's figures between .40, .45, & 10mm & the 10mm impact force was like 600+ lbs/???

I can't find the ballistic figures again, & don't quite don't know exactly how too write or how its said. but the .45 & the .40 had impact force of only 4hundred or so NO where near the 10mm readings. :shock:

Now I am seriously thinking about finding a 10mm. opposed to a .45 in the future..

and the only reason I don't get a 10mm glock. is I found a gunbroker thats selling G22 w/2 15 rd. mags. night sights for $330.00 & they were "Police issued turn ins as they are marked (so & so) police department." my brother has a DPD he bought from a former Detroit Police Officer.. granted mine won't be from the DPD... but for 2nd gen. night sites for 330.00 + FFL fee's I am getting a great deal..

Matter of fact I was just reading in a gun forum that the old S & W metal frame 10mm can be found for cheap.

So I am gonna explore that avenue after I buy my G22. I have caught Glockitis.. after shooting my brothers glock I am addicted to squeezing off 15 in a tight grouping. :D

His glock makes my Taurus 24/7 Pro not even fun too shoot. I think I am gonna ditch the Tauras.. & buy a 10mm. :2 cents::thumbsup:

p.s. whats a heavier more lethal caliber .44 mag or 10mm? :dunno:

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.

The same general rule of thumb applies to firearms as engines: there's no replacement for displacement. Assuming we're not talking about specialty loads or some kind of exotic firearms, the .44 Mag is going to have more punch than a 10mm. Just looking at those two for a personal defense weapon, I'd choose the 10mm though. You can find a high capacity autoloader in 10mm for a reasonable price. But if I was hunting I would (and do) go for the .44 Magnum.

As for lethality, I always go back to what a person can best shoot. A .380 that hits someone in the heart is more lethal than a .500 S&W Magnum that hits someone in the kneecap. Right? :1orglaugh

Love them. Thats not a bad looking gun.
I prefer a higher caliber though; I've always been fond of AK-47's and their variants. 7.62x39 is the way to go.

I don't love guns but I know;

A heavier projectile and less velocity equal a shorter effective range, a less flat trajectory. (I am aware a 55 or 62gr. projectile in a 5.56mm is more effected by wind). Also a much shorter sight radius, (in addition to shorter barrels), on most all the 7.62x39 equipment used to fire a round can't but decrease accuracy and ability to group. However I have also read arguements that 16" is the optimum barrel length and is more able to reverberate the natural harmonics of the barrel than a 20 or 24".

An 8mm Mauser puts both to shame.

jasonk282

Banned
As for lethality, I always go back to what a person can best shoot. A .380 that hits someone in the heart is more lethal than a .500 S&W Magnum that hits someone in the kneecap. Right? :1orglaugh

The heart shot will be leathal everytime. The kneecap will just imbolize the attacker till police can arrive, which is why I perfer body shots.

Side note. If you hit someone's kneecap with the .50 S&W Magnum, they ain't gonna have a knee or lower leg left. Ever see what a .50 cal does to a limb in real life.

After shooting my bro's G22 I have convinced myself I am buying 1, but then I saw some ballistic's figures between .40, .45, & 10mm & the 10mm impact force was like 600+ lbs/???

I can't find the ballistic figures again, & don't quite don't know exactly how too write or how its said. but the .45 & the .40 had impact force of only 4hundred or so NO where near the 10mm readings. :shock:

Some figures I saw for USA Brand, (Windchester), had a .40 up close to 700f/lbs.

.44 Rem Mag is fairly inefficient I think in a short barrel but will produce 700-1600 f/lbs and 1100-1700fps. The higher figures in a rifle of course.

Marlo Manson

Hello Sexy girl how your Toes doing?
The same general rule of thumb applies to firearms as engines: there's no replacement for displacement. Assuming we're not talking about specialty loads or some kind of exotic firearms, the .44 Mag is going to have more punch than a 10mm. Just looking at those two for a personal defense weapon, I'd choose the 10mm though. You can find a high capacity autoloader in 10mm for a reasonable price. But if I was hunting I would (and do) go for the .44 Magnum.

I don't love guns but I know;

A heavier projectile and less velocity equal a shorter effective range, a less flat trajectory. (I am aware a 55 or 62gr. projectile in a 5.56mm is more effected by wind). Also a much shorter sight radius, (in addition to shorter barrels), on most all the 7.62x39 equipment used to fire a round can't but decrease accuracy and ability to group. However I have also read arguements that 16" is the optimum barrel length and is more able to reverberate the natural harmonics of the barrel than a 20 or 24".

An 8mm Mauser puts both to shame.

Well thanx for the leg work guys, very interesting & I appreciate the info. I had a feeling the 44 mag was a heavier shot.

But my real questions are mainly concerning the 10mm & its comparison to the .45, is the 10mm superior caliber, more powerful, more lethal, & overall deadlier than the .45?

To be honest if I wasn't getting a ".40 cal g22 for $330.00" as of lastnights findings I would be seeking either a 10mm or a .45 instead of the .40 cal. but the deal for those glocks is too good to pass up. & really now that I think of it makes me less interested in my Taurus which I have now. :eek:

I have the Taurus 24/7 pro DS. but shooting the taurus compared to the glock is like renting a ford focus instead of taking the caddilac when they're being offered for the same rate. :rolleyes:

The glock is allot more fun, I love the trigger feel opposed to that of the taurus. :yesyes:

So now my plans are to buy the glock 22 for the good price, then like immediately replace the .40 cal taurus, by trading for a 10mm pistol.

but the question is do I go with glock again? is that trigger the key to happy shooting? will I find that all other DAO pistols will be no fun shooting compared to the glock style trigger? which I LOVE shooting?

Until I read the ballistics figures for the 10mm yesterday I was led to believe the .40 cal was the equivlent of the 10mm according to the FBI. Now I read that the impact power of the 10mm is far greater than both the .40 & .45 cal.:confused:

p.s. I know 10mm ammo will be just as hard if not harder than .45 to keep in stock & more expensive price wise. but for self defense. does it get any better than the 10mm? :dunno: