• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

What a good day to have current technology (just for fun)

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Yup. Tech standard DVD9, dual layer discs.

At my local best buy it was only 10$ to get a 50 pack, most of the time. Thats almost free.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Good lord. This takes me back.

Canon.mid
pachelbel.mid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZNvMJjKSis&list=PL432255B9A5F9C786&index=5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

98: (Or was that xp? Sure TF wasnt Win ME)

My first upgrade was a .. well ya know what, it isnt spot-on, but.. some HP
B00318CG82-2.jpg

Jet black HP with the front slider, 2 USB ports (EXTERNAL BURNING BOOYAKA.. actually more like WHY TF ARE YOU GETTING BUFFER UNDERRUNS, I'm burning at 2x!) A celeron 600 with 64 mb SDRAM and I dont even remember the storage. I mighta had 20 gigs to work with, but games started being multi-disc cuz FMV's werent outta style, yet. (Anyone remember the baldur's gate foldover special edition with, like, 5 discs? Sword coast and all)

I remember mp3's dropped playback if I was browsing thru IE6 on the 133 but the 600 was almost the ideal 'multitasking' machine. Cable/DSL was feasible and 3d cards finally made it past the damned proprietary bullshit phase. (S3, 3DFX glide, etc) I think I dropped a radeon 64 meg card in, on this one. AGP slots > PCI with the vga pass thru)

Last edited:
I remember mp3's dropped playback if I was browsing thru IE6 on the 133 but the 600 was almost the ideal 'multitasking' machine. Cable/DSL was feasible and 3d cards finally made it past the damned proprietary bullshit phase. (S3, 3DFX glide, etc) I think I dropped a radeon 64 meg card in, on this one. AGP slots > PCI with the vga pass thru)
Imagine trying to play a video while doing anything else!
Now you're web-browsing while recording your video game plays and video chatting with hundreds of people.

Canon.mid
pachelbel.mid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZNvMJjKSis&list=PL432255B9A5F9C786&index=5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

98: (Or was that xp? Sure TF wasnt Win ME)

My first upgrade was a .. well ya know what, it isnt spot-on, but.. some HP
View attachment 1149268

Jet black HP with the front slider, 2 USB ports (EXTERNAL BURNING BOOYAKA.. actually more like WHY TF ARE YOU GETTING BUFFER UNDERRUNS, I'm burning at 2x!) A celeron 600 with 64 mb SDRAM and I dont even remember the storage. I mighta had 20 gigs to work with, but games started being multi-disc cuz FMV's werent outta style, yet. (Anyone remember the baldur's gate foldover special edition with, like, 5 discs? Sword coast and all)

A celeron 600

JUST SAY NO TO CELERY!! (I always paid for a premium chip / CPU.)

I wasn't sure WHERE to post this. This thread seemed appropriate:

On Oct. 14, 2025, Microsoft will officially end public support for Windows 10 - that means no more software updates, security patches, or technical support for your Windows 10 computer, no matter how well it still works.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/windows-10-best-date-support-153249277.html
Yeah. They sent me that message. The first thing I thought was, "Hell...you didn't support the damn thing in the first place!" I can get 11 on my lap but I won't. I'll wait for when I get a new computer. Next stop is SSD. Can't wait to see how long it takes before THAT'S obsolete.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
When they announced they're going to integrate Copilot/Bing AI into the win 11 OS, I immediately downgraded to 10.

It isnt that I dislike using the AI, it's rather the INTENSELY forced updates for win11 that were a near-daily issue. The forced online activation simply to boot into the OS for the first time was a sour taste, too. I have a microsoft/live acct, that isnt the issue. The lack of connectivity certainly was! Not to mention I cant 'quick share' unless I'm online. TF?

Small nitpicks and praises: Win 11's MS paint had a few more features reminiscent of photoshop, like layers, transparency and intelligent 'select all' within a few shades' difference. Win 10 STILL has right-click to select, which I've been using for decades. Ex: Right click on desktop for context menu, right click on an option to choose. 11 did away with that. Boo.

I wasn't sure WHERE to post this. This thread seemed appropriate:

On Oct. 14, 2025, Microsoft will officially end public support for Windows 10 - that means no more software updates, security patches, or technical support for your Windows 10 computer, no matter how well it still works.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/windows-10-best-date-support-153249277.html
I have a 8+yr old i7 upgraded with SSD and 64GB of RAM. I'm pretty sure it can handle Win11, so MS's forced obsolescence is a dick move. It should be up to the consumer to decide if the hardware can't handle it.

The Identifier

Administrator
Staff member
Platinum Member
I need to research this some more but I don't currently understand why my machine is "not eligible" for an upgrade because it is a decent spec. What do they mean when they say it's not eligible?

I need to research this some more but I don't currently understand why my machine is "not eligible" for an upgrade because it is a decent spec. What do they mean when they say it's not eligible?
I'm on my front of the apartment 2in1 HP now, in the mornings. Mine says "I don't meet the system requirements" but my back of the apartment evening lap says I do. The front one is an oldie:

Device name DESKTOP-xxxxxxxx
Processor AMD A9-9425 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G 3.10 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.45 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

I have the cash for a new one, but that means I can't afford anything else...like a new mattress, sudden medical bills, car repair.......

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
I'm on my front of the apartment 2in1 HP now, in the mornings. Mine says "I don't meet the system requirements" but my back of the apartment evening lap says I do. The front one is an oldie:

Device name DESKTOP-xxxxxxxx
Processor AMD A9-9425 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G 3.10 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.45 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

I have the cash for a new one, but that means I can't afford anything else...like a new mattress, sudden medical bills, car repair.......
It might simply be the ram. If 7.45 is usable, i assume the radeon is internal, and thus uses system memory as vram?

It really doesn't matter, I've had 11 on a 6 gig craptop and it wasn't an issue.

Then again if they've turned up the security after crowd strike.. yeah, i could see why they'd quote\unquote require more resources.

One supposes they just dropped in more speculative execution protection (Which had already been enabled since OOBE for years, and most ppl would be wise to disable it and just jam up their browsing security higher and not download rando executables) and hotfixes that means more cloud based antimalware and realtime monitoring of the system.

Not that it much matters, but the average user will just plunk down a few hundred more for a new pc and MS gets a better system to datamine.

Suggestion to all MS users: try using O&O shutup 10 or 11 (respectively) to turn off that insane amount of data collection in-between patches. (OS-level insecurities for the purpose of demographics? That is a false requirement that bogs down the system, when it could run just as well as win 8.1 did)

Suggestion to all MS users: try using O&O shutup 10 or 11 (respectively) to turn off that insane amount of data collection in-between patches. (OS-level insecurities for the purpose of demographics? That is a false requirement that bogs down the system, when it could run just as well as win 8.1 did)
And this is exactly why every MS PC bogs down like a mule in mud every time there is an MS update. It's not just me. Read all of the negative comments about it that appear on the MS help boards. You know...the forums that MS shut down further comments on because of the flood of complaints. BTW...8.1 was the last decdent OS that MS put out...and likely the last.

The Identifier

Administrator
Staff member
Platinum Member
Usually it's the processor.
I downloaded the PC Health Check tool and the problem for me is it can't detect TPM.

I think it is just a case of turning it on in the BIOS rather than the machine physically not supporting it. I did go into the BIOS and there seems to be the option to enable it so all should be well hopefully even though I didn't actually attempt it yet.

Let's just say if I was to find it was an issue then I wouldn't be best pleased cos I don't wanna buy a new PC just to accommodate the latest OS.

But all folks need to do is download that PC Health Check app and it'll tell you what the problem is if you have one. In fairness, Windows does point you towards it when you go into your system settings which I didn't realize at first.

When I received the on-screen prompt about the end of support for Windows 10 like I have a couple of times now, it just said "your PC s not eligible" with no further explanation which is what made me wonder until now.

I downloaded the PC Health Check tool and the problem for me is it can't detect TPM.

I think it is just a case of turning it on in the BIOS rather than the machine physically not supporting it. I did go into the BIOS and there seems to be the option to enable it so all should be well hopefully even though I didn't actually attempt it yet.

Let's just say if I was to find it was an issue then I wouldn't be best pleased cos I don't wanna buy a new PC just to accommodate the latest OS.

But all folks need to do is download that PC Health Check app and it'll tell you what the problem is if you have one. In fairness, Windows does point you towards it when you go into your system settings which I didn't realize at first.

When I received the on-screen prompt about the end of support for Windows 10 like I have a couple of times now, it just said "your PC s not eligible" with no further explanation which is what made me wonder until now.
Yeah, it's a BIOS thingy that you have to change to upgrade. I went in there and turned on TPM 2.0 support over there.

I own Laptop from 2010-2011 and seems no significant difference after I change the storage to SSD and upgrade the RAM, only use it for office or light/non-heavy task, it keep run slowly,seems I need to download PC Health Check tool to see the problem,my big guess is the air circulation to processor

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Well, from my own experience... circulation has to be consistent over the years.
One bad summer and you take a good bit of longevity off your processor.
I've had capacitors fizzle out and 60 fps games slowly drag over the course of a few years.
I usually stay on top of the whole fan cleaning and good ventilation bit.. even got to the (bad) habit of putting an entire box fan pointing at the tower just to keep it reasonably cool during the 90 degree days in a brick building without A/C.

Overall, tho.. it is a depreciating asset, no?