• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

World Cup 2006 thread

Who is going to win the World Cup 2006 in Germany?

• Brazil

Votes: 77 26.1%
  • Argentina

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • England

Votes: 39 13.2%
  • Germany

Votes: 49 16.6%
  • Italy

Votes: 22 7.5%
  • Holland

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • USA

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • Portugal

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • South Korea

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Other (state country in your answer)

Votes: 40 13.6%

• Total voters
Civickiller80 said:
Just a thing some friends and I were talking about...and I wanted to see what people think

Do you think that Fifa should rank the teams as they enter the knock out round?..such as based on world ranking after the qualifying rounds?
or even have the teams ranked from 1-32 as per world rankings somehow...I like the current way how it is as it creates som very very hard groups..

...I know its a bit weird if say Brazil Finshes second in there round and then they have a better second round draw then another team but it was just us talking the wind and it was interesting to see what they thought...

I don't exactly know what you mean, but the groups now don't make sense. Holland and Czech Republic are ranked #2 and #3 on the FIFA list, but both aren't group heads.

I think that every team in group C is better than any team in group A for instance. With the exception of Germany maybe, because it's Germany and you'll never know how far they come in these tournaments. Everyone said they were crap 4 years ago, still they managed to reach the final.

Jagger69 said:
When will America realize it SUCKS at "football".

I'm rooting for Mexico

Which was why it was USA 2 - Mexico 0 in World Cup 2002?

I guess mexico just sucks at football...

They lost a game. So did the USA. So did every team in the World Cup. That means they all suck at football?

This seems to be a matter of personal prejudice and not sportsmanship. People are entitled to their opinions, but such negativity toward the US team that is not being directed toward anyone else that qualifies just as much is unfair and hypocritical.

calpoon said:
Which was why it was USA 2 - Mexico 0 in World Cup 2002?

I guess mexico just sucks at football...

They lost a game. So did the USA. So did every team in the World Cup. That means they all suck at football?

This seems to be a matter of personal prejudice and not sportsmanship. People are entitled to their opinions, but such negativity toward the US team that is not being directed toward anyone else that qualifies just as much is unfair and hypocritical.

No kidding. Most of the hatred in sports is not necessarily related to the way the team/player is playing the game, that's how it goes.
The last sentence you said pissed me off, of course he's gonna target ONE team when the topic is THAT ONE TEAM.

Anyway, back to Germany.

Croatia held Brazil off well for 43 minutes but Kaka scored with a brilliant shot from outside the box.

I don't know why but I get mad when commentators and people overrate teams, when he scored the commentator said something like "This is the World Cup opening goal" like the entire cup revolves around Brazil. They are a good team, yeah, but gosh, it's too much.

Last edited:
Kroatia deserved a point against Brazil. Brazil wasn't any better.

I don't understand why the Americans are complaining so much about their loss. Don't they realize that the Czech Republic is one of the strongest teams of the tournament?

Calm said:
No kidding. Most of the hatred in sports is not necessarily related to the way the team/player is playing the game, that's how it goes.
The last sentence you said pissed me off, of course he's gonna target ONE team when the topic is THAT ONE TEAM.

Anyway, back to Germany.

Croatia held Brazil off well for 43 minutes but Kaka scored with a brilliant shot from outside the box.

I don't know why but I get mad when commentators and people overrate teams, when he scored the commentator said something like "This is the World Cup opening goal" like the entire cup revolves around Brazil. They are a good team, yeah, but gosh, it's too much.

You're right, Calm. Im a brazilian. Our team shame ourselves against Croatia. The kaka goal saved us, but the team played like real dumbs. Besides the world's newspaper, today, was a sad game, all brazilian TV Station's is saying how badly our team played today.

That's all marketing fault. Ronaldo isn't a good player anymore, his time has gone, but the Nike and others sponsors pay too much to make the coach let him play more than half time. It's a shame the corruption. Our team just played on the last 20 minutes when Robinho entered, and start to play less weak than before, but still weak. If Brazil still playing like that Argentina, Italy or another team will beat us soon or later.

I expect the team will show the real Brazilian's game on the next game or we gonna lose it, to the market. Sadness :( We deserved to lose this game to learn a real life's lesson.

Great game of Croatia against Brazil. It looked like as if Ronaldo was not really eager to play. When Robinho entered the game, the Brazilians played much better. Kaka and Ronaldinho saved Brazil from losing. The defense of Brazil was also not that good. I'm not so sure if they will win the games against the Aussies and Japan without problems.

From a stateside standpoint, today's Brazil-Croatia game helped show the biggest difference between Brazil and USA soccer:
With Brazil, you expect golden moments from magical players...
With the US, you hope that they play well, regardless of their FIFA ranking...

The Brazillians looked a bit out of sorts, but I think Croatia took too long to realize that could beat them, rather than wonder when the big guns of Brazil were going to score...

Each team's next game may be the one to watch; I don't think this group isn't so easy of a walkthru for Brazil....and I am all geeked for them!

The Satyr Icon
*still having fun saying "KAKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!*

sexmadwife said:
I thought Brazil were lucky tonight - wasn't samba footy!

Indeed, Brazil were extremely lucky.

Lucky that the Croatians didn't realise that hitting the ball at the goalkeeper is bad.

DO NOT KICK THE BALL AT DIDA, HE WILL CATCH IT!

Also, Ronaldo is fat and slow, and probably won't start in a match again if the coach knows what's good for the team.

*EDIT*
Ronaldo also had the cheek to wipe some sweat off his brow when he was substituted. It can't have been hard earned sweat.

Last edited:
Syncmaster said:
Indeed, Brazil were extremely lucky.

Lucky that the Croatians didn't realise that hitting the ball at the goalkeeper is bad.

DO NOT KICK THE BALL AT DIDA, HE WILL CATCH IT!

Also, Ronaldo is fat and slow, and probably won't start in a match again if the coach knows what's good for the team.

It's not that simple, Brazil has players that are icons.
Thsi match, for example, I thought Juninho would have made a difference and would help Brazil take over midfield, only problem is Kaka was too good to sub and Ronaldinho is too famous and liked to sub.

My hubby told me the France/Switzerland game was bad. Well since we (Ireland) didn't qualify out of the group it says it all. We played our first ever game of cricket today - didn't even realised we had a team :)

********** said:
I disagree with a lot of you about today's games:

First, I fully expected France and Switzerland to play out a 0-0 draw. I'm surprised no-one else saw that coming. The next two games will determine how good the French are, not that one.

Secondly, Brazil........

They were great! Why are you ashamed of them! Why are you all dissing Brazil???

Certainly, Ronaldo was not even in the game, but he almost scored. And sure, Croatia had a lot of chances, but THEY'RE A GOOD SIDE! Their players all play for top European sides. They beat Sweden home and away in qualifiers. They have a phenomenal defence, like Switzerland.

I expected it, as well as all my friends; I think since I've seen both those teams in the qualifying rounds I knew what they had to show.

I wouldn't diss Brazil, Dida played good, Lucio played good, Kaka played good etc, thing is, Crotia played good. Brazil made the ultimate mistake of making us expect of them something they can never fulfill and instead of giving Croatia a round of applause we're dissing Brazil.

********** said:
It was bad cause no-one could score. Ireland were unlucky to be in a group with Switz, France, Israel. All had great defences, all games between the four were draws - ALL. Until, unluckily for Ireland, Henry returned from injury just in time for the Landsdowne Road game, and scored a wonder goal to win it 1-0. That was the only decisive result in the group. Then Ireland had to beat the Swiss, and as they did today, the Swiss, who make a lot out of a little bit, ground out a 0-0. It could easily have been Ireland instead of Switz or France. It was all so close.

Fox

It could just have easily been Israel. if it weren't for a boring disappointing 1-1 game betwee, you guessed it, France and Switzerland, they'd make their premier appearance in the World Cup.

Hey guys, looking forward to the Australian game Vs Brazil. What are your thoughts on the game, and how Australia will be able to match them, if at all. I am predicting a very close and physical game because i have heard on the grapevine (not giving away too much info as i know personally know a support staff member of the camp who has just been brought over as a fitness guy) but Australia will defend early and not allow Brazil to get any space "Close marking and physical Play" and then in the last 20 minutes go for it " Attack on every possible chance and bring the ball in long at every chance" as they believe Brazils defence is their weakness and can be caught offgaurd as they are not normally put under immense pressure, also that Australia has had 3 very strenuous training camps leading up to the cup where on some days they have trained twice a day for 2 -3 sessions and so they believe they can press hard at the end of the game due to their fitness and larger bodies.

They are very excited about this game, as they have only played Brazil 2 times in the past 5 years and never beaten them.

I am predicting a couple of Aussie red cards in the game against Brazil if they play the same way as they did against Japan. They have no hope in hell of getting such a lenient ref again. Hope Aussie's beat them though, just can't see them getting any better than a draw.

Spain were excellent.

Senna, Villa and Torres were sublime and the star was Xavi for me.

One of the best passers in the world.

So far they are only behind Argentina and on a par with Czech Republic as the most impressive side.

********** said:
What a phenomenal performance by Espana... brilliant... they're right behind Holland, Italy and England in my list of favourites, and they have a much better chance than the latter do if today is anything to go by.

Ukraine weren't even bad... Spain were just THAT good. Ukraine were unlucky on the free kick deflection and the red card was NEVER a red card and hardly a penalty, but it wouldn't have changed the outcome, in all likelihood.

Stupid American man of the match award went to David Villa. He was good but not great. He had a free kick go off the wall and had a penalty which Torres won (unjustly). Puyol was absolutely amazing, as was Xabi Alonso, Luis Garcia, Xavi, Marcos Senna, Sergio Ramos, and the absolutely thrilling Wayne Rooney of Spain, Fernando Torres.

It was as hot as all the other day games ,and Torres ran full speed all out for 90 minutes. He's the Spanish superstar of tomorrow. He's one of my 5 favourite players in the world. He was my man of the match. I was rooting for him to score after all his great runs and passes...

Then Raul, the ultimate unselfish star comes on, and makes Spain even better... and then Torres gets the goal he deserves...

Man I was cheering SO hard... and WHAT A GOAL! Won by Puyol, who fights and spins round his man, plays it into Torres, who plays it to Raul, who plays it to Puyol, who heads it PERFECTLY into the path of the man Torres, and he SMASHES it into the bottom corner with conviction...

There's a reason they call EL NINO the Spanish Wayne Rooney. Yay! So Torres is hot, and Spain are on fire, but just wait and watch: Ukraine are a GOOD TEAM, wait and see what they do when they have a decent referee, 11 men on the field, and they're facing Tunisia and Saudi.

Well, congratulations to Espana, and that was the best team goal of the tournament, we may not see a better one... best individual goal? Hard to pick just one, although both Lahm and Frings have a claim to it.

Sincerely
Fox

I wouldn't go that far and judge by their game that England are favorites.
The teams that impressed me so far are Spain, Czech Republic, Italy and Argentina.

I only saw the first 3 goals because I had to go, I wished it would be lame but you make it sound like it was awesome, I'll have to find a way to watch the game highlights.

Ukraine are still favorites to make it from the second spot in this group; Tunisia could be tough but they'd make it.

Best individual goal is, in my opinion, Rosicky's followed by Lahm's.

********** said:
I wouldn't say that about Argentina. I don't think they were so impressive, really. Great result, but I didn't like the way they played, or who they left on the bench. Plus, did you see the way Italy played? :)

Anyway, yes, Spain were awesome.

Did you see the Saudi-Tunisia game just now? WHAT A GAME!!! What a thrilling, exciting game. Absolutely phenomenal. The second half was a riot. The Saudis did themselves proud, and hitherto I was breaking my golden rule and disliking them for their politics, but when I saw how brave they were and how passionate, I was with them all the way. I was rooting for a win, and the emotion when their hero Al Jaber came on and scored that 83rd minute goal... WOW... I was so into it.

Then, of course, as fate would have it, Jaidi (who had been very bad) of Bolton pops up in the 93RD minute, and keeps Tunisia's world cup hopes barely alive with a 2-2 draw.

I was a bit heartbroken, but in retrospect, it's the best result for a wonderful Ukraine side that had a bad game today, and will probably beat both Tunisia and the Saudis. If Spain and Ukraine win their next games, the table will look exactly the way it was "supposed" to, and Spain's 4-0 may as well have been a 1-0. We'll see. But FANTASTIC effort by the Saudis, and they can hold their heads high.

Fox

Walking off the pitch with pride is good but I'd rather get a good result and play poorly than have pride and no point(s) that I deserved (ie Brazil vs Croatia). But from a football fan point of view, it's great to have a good game rather than a poor game.

At any rate, I didn't watch it since I had to go for a while, I'm getting ready for Germany vs Poland now. A few days ago I was sure Poland would take second place and that they are the biggest threat to Germany in this group but after Ecuador beat them 2-0 and Costa Rica snuck a couple of goal against the mighty Germany, I'm not so sure they are favorites.

They have a tough trial today, if they win they can make it from this group, maybe even as #1 if Ecuador surprise Germany, and if they lose they will go home.

********** said:
You HAVE to find a way to watch that goal... it's an absolutely BLISSFUL goal. Don't just watch the highlight where he smashes it home... watch the one right from where Puyol wins it... then spins past a man, then gets it to Torres, to Raul, to Puyol, a PERFECT header into the path of the man Torres, and WHAT a first time finish.

When I said England were favourites, oh no, I meant they're my favourite team. They were pretty damn POOR in their game and I don't expect them to win at all. But I'm English, so they're still my 3rd favourite behind the wonderful Dutch and Italians and just in front of the excellent Spaniards. Not favourites to win! Germany have a much better chance... and Portugal... based on the first game.

Yes, Ukraine will get 2nd I believe.

Now for Germany's second game... VERY excited... oh hell yes. I have the whole Spain match on tape so if you ever need to borrow it I can mail it to you and you can mail it back when you're done... but just watch the highlights tonight at midnight or a little after on ESPN or ESPN 2.

Fox

If it was only as simple as watching it on ESPN...
I don't know how it goes in the rest of the world but here you have to pay an outrageous price of about 70 euro to order the entire World Cup pack. A public channel purchased a few games, like Brazil Croatia and Holland Argentina next week, and those are free, but for most games you have to pay. I stretched my wallet a bit and payed it, I have to, it's the world cup!

That's not the worst thing, the outrageous part is that they are blackening channels that broadcast the games, such as ESPN; ESPN is in cable and I PAYED to have it and now I have to pay MORE to watch something that there is on a channel I payed for.

This case was the first time ever we had a consumers' ban and almost 200,000 signed a petition to cancel this, we got the price down from 100 euro to 70. Oh well, money comes and goes, World Cup memories stay forever.