• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

World Cup 2006 thread

Who is going to win the World Cup 2006 in Germany?

• Brazil

Votes: 77 26.1%
  • Argentina

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • England

Votes: 39 13.2%
  • Germany

Votes: 49 16.6%
  • Italy

Votes: 22 7.5%
  • Holland

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • USA

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • Portugal

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • South Korea

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Other (state country in your answer)

Votes: 40 13.6%

• Total voters
[QUOTE=gaunameister]i´m from Argentina and i think that my team got greats players but brazil wiil be the winner[/QUOTE]

The problem they could have is they may have to many great players and could end up with a team unable to find the balance. Kaka, Ronaldinhio, Ronaldo & Adriano all in the same team sounds excellent, however its abit like the Lampard and Gerrard problem, to much attack can lead to imbalance in a team.

The closer we get the more I think Argentina could be winners. Cambiasso, Demichelis and Mascherano are 3 great anchors and any two of them would be superb. Added to your defence will mean your defensive side is very, very strong. Then in attack you have the likes of Riquleme, Messi, Tevez & Crespo.

Australia, its simple :nanner:, nah i think Brazil will win it again, or maybe England be the suprise packet

Think it could be Holands time. A very good team with great players, plus Van BAsten seems to have sorted out the ego problem certain players had. For an outsider I for some weird reason think the USA could surprise a few.

Feelie said:
Kaka, Ronaldinhio, Ronaldo & Adriano all in the same team sounds excellent, however its abit like the Lampard and Gerrard problem, to much attack can lead to imbalance in a team

Well not really, Kaka and Ronaldinho are able to play in midfield where Ronaldo and Adriano will play as strikers...i dont think this will imbalance the team because the good old 4-4-2 attack formation could be used

pussypoppa said:
Well not really, Kaka and Ronaldinho are able to play in midfield where Ronaldo and Adriano will play as strikers...i dont think this will imbalance the team because the good old 4-4-2 attack formation could be used

Yeah but the problem is (and this has been said both Kaka and Ronaldinho) that for their respective clubs they are the sole playmakers in midfield, and they usually have three players defensively minded midfielders behind them so they don't have to cover. At Barca you have any combo of Motta, Xavi, Van Bommel, Edmilson and even Deco who plays a much more restrained role for them than he did at Porto. At AC Milan there's Gattuso, Seedorf, Pirlo, Ambrosini etc.
With Brazil's national team setup, there are only two - Emerson and Juninho. And therefore Kaka and Ronaldinho have to defend more, so they have less impact in the game as a whole.

Ze Roberto and Emerson do the defensive work whilst letting Kaka and Ronaldinho do the creating. It is quite a narrow midfield but they have used a similer formation for a few years now and it has always worked quite well.

I hope f.Ribery will explode in the world cup and become the natural substitute for Zidane :)
gogo french squad, at least beat the swiss, that's a matter of honor ! :D

Todays International Matches

Chile 1 - 1 Ivory Coast
Czech Republic 1 - 0 Costa Rica
England 3 - 1 Hungary
Germany 2 - 2 Japan
Libya 1 - 2 Uruguay
Poland 1 - 2 Colombia
Tunisia 3 - 0 Belarus

Brazil 8 - 0 FC Lucerne

Traning match for Brazil against a 2nd division team from Switzerland.

Goals:
Kaka
Adriano
Ronaldo
Ronaldo
Lucio
Juninho
Robinho
Adriano

Calm said:
Brazil 8 - 0 FC Lucerne

Goals:
Kaka
Adriano
Ronaldo
Ronaldo
Lucio
Juninho
Robinho
Adriano

close one :1orglaugh

Well we just beat Hungary 3-1, and lets just say I was hardly filled with confidence.

Beckham played a blinder, Joe Cole was good and OK I admit, Crouch was pretty impressive when he came on (loved the celebration :rofl: ), but the rest of the midfield/strikers completely failed to perform.
I thought Lampard was woeful. I counted at least 10 passes he sent astray, he missed the penalty badly, and for someone who scored so many league goals for Chelsea, he looked ineffectual throughout.
Owen still looked rusty from his lay-off. His first touch was pretty shoddy all evening, he put his free header from a perfect cross straight at Kiraly. Crouch overshadowed him. That in itself terrifies me.
Gerrard is world class, but he hardly proved to Eriksson that he'll make an acceptable second striker.

It's OK, if I'm this pessimisstic we'll definitely exceed expectations at the World Cup. Super.

********** said:
The problem they could have is they may have to many great players and could end up with a team unable to find the balance. Kaka, Ronaldinhio, Ronaldo & Adriano all in the same team sounds excellent, however its abit like the Lampard and Gerrard problem, to much attack can lead to imbalance in a team.

The closer we get the more I think Argentina could be winners. Cambiasso, Demichelis and Mascherano are 3 great anchors and any two of them would be superb. Added to your defence will mean your defensive side is very, very strong. Then in attack you have the likes of Riquleme, Messi, Tevez & Crespo.

If Argentina can get through that horrendous group from which I'll be supporting Holland and the Cote D'I, but which also has the HORRIBLY DANGEROUS Serbians who may well top the group, then they can win the whole thing. Don't count out Brazil. That would be very foolish. I vote for Holland to win the whole thing; if not, then Italy. If not Italy, then England.

Fox[/QUOTE]

I feel that Brazil knows who will do what and who will carry the weight of winning on his shoulders. The general feeling is that Kaka will be the star, the person that assissts and scores when needed and not Ronaldinho. Ronaldinho can't and won't be the sole star people expect him to be. The feeling is, also, that Ronaldo will be the one to finish the plays and score. After winning the world cup 5 times Brazil know how to handle with these situations.

As of the imbalance, this year it's different since Brazil has 3 GREAT defensive midfielders (Emerson, Gilberto Silva and Edmilson) who can hold the midfield from the back. Dida seems to be improving and putting this horrible season behind him.

My only concern is the center backs. Lucio spends way too much time in the opposing team's half and Juan isn't good enough to stop strikers such as Luca Toni or Henry.

thesafestplace said:
Well we just beat Hungary 3-1, and lets just say I was hardly filled with confidence.

Beckham played a blinder, Joe Cole was good and OK I admit, Crouch was pretty impressive when he came on (loved the celebration :rofl: ), but the rest of the midfield/strikers completely failed to perform.
I thought Lampard was woeful. I counted at least 10 passes he sent astray, he missed the penalty badly, and for someone who scored so many league goals for Chelsea, he looked ineffectual throughout.
Owen still looked rusty from his lay-off. His first touch was pretty shoddy all evening, he put his free header from a perfect cross straight at Kiraly. Crouch overshadowed him. That in itself terrifies me.
Gerrard is world class, but he hardly proved to Eriksson that he'll make an acceptable second striker.

It's OK, if I'm this pessimisstic we'll definitely exceed expectations at the World Cup. Super.

As I've said for years Beckham has one thing he can do and thats cross a football, other than that "nothing". Sven will never ever get Gerrard and Lampard right, reason why he "clueless". He gives them too many instructions to play with, all you need to say to them is "go out and play your normal game, but one goes forward the other sit back" simple. Gerrard is worldclass bursting from midfield to attack the other team and have long range shots. But playing as striker is most certainly not his postion, he doesn't know how to break free of a man marker. You should just let him roam like he does for Liverpool.

Owen needs 5 or 6 games to get back in the grove and I think the world cup will have come just too early. Crouch isn't and never will be any good and he plays for the team I support. His problem he can't head the ball or shoot very well, just once in awhile he gets lucky. this season for us he scored 12 goals out of 127 shots, is this a quality striker ?

Sorry but as I've said all along why the hell has he picked all these injured players ? Isn't a player whos fit and just slightly below the quality of the other player, better than one who isn't playing. Why isn't Dafoe in the squad already, Rooney is not going to be fit as I've said all along. Going against doctors orders hasn't helped. Walcott isn't a striker, but a winger! So that leaves just the two above.

I've said it before, England will not win anything with Sven in charge!

Brazil as I've said all through this thread will win without any competion.

Last edited:
I think the key to England doing well at this competition is Joe Cole. I am of the opinion that he is a brilliant player who will burst on to the world scene and show the rest of the world what we in Britain know which is he is world class and can provide that little spark out of nothing. Due to Rooney not being fit I think Cole should be played in the withdrawn striker's role with Downing on the left as Cole is the closest to the type of player Rooney is, in the squad. Downing then goes in to where Cole has been playing and provide's natural width and can deliver quality crosses and beat a man.

jumbo_jim said:
I think the key to England doing well at this competition is Joe Cole. I am of the opinion that he is a brilliant player who will burst on to the world scene and show the rest of the world what we in Britain know which is he is world class and can provide that little spark out of nothing. Due to Rooney not being fit I think Cole should be played in the withdrawn striker's role with Downing on the left as Cole is the closest to the type of player Rooney is, in the squad. Downing then goes in to where Cole has been playing and provide's natural width and can deliver quality crosses and beat a man.

That was my gut reaction when I was watching the United game in a bar and saw Rooney get injured. Joe Cole is a pretty good alternative for a second striker. However we've been blighted with problems down the left wing for as long as I can remember, and it's just amazing that Joe Cole has been able to do so well there, that I'd be nervous of changing it... Downing or even Lennon have yet to prove themselves as world-class.

Wouldn't go on left Lennon as he doesn't have much of a left foot. As a gamble you could even put Beckham over the left as his game involves getting it then passing or crossing which he can do brilliantly from deep both inswing or out swing. So because he doesn't take players on or run with the ball he could be switched sides. Never gonna happen but it could be worrth a gamble in the game with Jamacia at the weekend.

darkman

Retired Moderator
Calm said:
Brazil 8 - 0 FC Lucerne

Goals:
Kaka
Adriano
Ronaldo
Ronaldo
Lucio
Juninho
Robinho
Adriano
Yes... and I have an statistic for you all...
Always when Brazil was considered favorite in WC tournaments we lost.
I hope it doesn't happen aggain :tongue:

Training match and they scored 8. Didn't Germany score 10 in a 40min each way game against a German second division side. Could be wrong though.