• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

World Cup 2006 thread

Who is going to win the World Cup 2006 in Germany?

• Brazil

Votes: 77 26.1%
  • Argentina

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • England

Votes: 39 13.2%
  • Germany

Votes: 49 16.6%
  • Italy

Votes: 22 7.5%
  • Holland

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • USA

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • Portugal

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • South Korea

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Other (state country in your answer)

Votes: 40 13.6%

• Total voters
as always i will support germany,but i think brazil have the best team out there although u cant know what will happen in the world cup.ithink it will be between one of those teams:brazil,italy,germany(only cause the wc is there,too much young sqaud),holand,argintina.

Everyone I know always rules Germany out of the cup, saying they're not the team they once were, but they do consistantly well - I mean, they got the the final of the last one. I reckon they'll at least hit the final again this year.

Calm said:
I agree on Dafoe and even Bent should have been called, IMO. Crouch is not bad at all, people have been dissing him when he started playing but he proved he can put the ball in the net.
England still has Gerrard and Lampard (most goal in Chelsea, impressive for a midfielder that has Drogba and Crespo in front of him); even if Eriksson "interrupts" Gerrard and Lampard with defensive instructions, they're still both capable of bombing from 30-40 meters (see Liverpool vs Westham).

Congrats on the cup, by the way, poggy. :hatsoff:

Bent massively out of form and IMO still not ready for the full England squad. Right Crouch can't put the ball in the net 6 goals from 47 games this season. He can't head the ball and thats what he's been taken for. Gerrard and Lampard never play well for England, as Eriksson won't let them just play. I've said it for a while it's not the players that won't win us the cup. It's going to be Eriksson and his inability to change tactics during a game or just let players play.

Thanks on the cup, they did it the hard way and didn't play well.

om3ga

It's good to be the king...
You'd think we'd learned our lessons after the hype on David Beckham's metatarsal injury in the last world cup (Korea/Japan 2002):

WAYNE ROONEY sparked massive celebrations by revealing he could be fit for England’s OPENING World Cup game.

Details:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006230273,00.html

Last edited:
I'm still sceptical about Wayne Rooney being fit for us at the World Cup. The Sun is hardly a reliable source now is it? Really for the first time I can remember, I felt 'confident' about us doing well at this tournament, until he got injured.

The fact that the manager is talking about deploying Gerrard as a frigging stiker speaks volumes, we actually have no-one especially in comparison to France, Brazil or Argentina :bawling:
I know deriding him is a sport in itself, but I never imagined Liverpool could find a worse striker than Djibril Cissé - looks like they succeeded with Peter 'I couldn't score in a brothel' Crouch. And with Owen having had very little match practice, it looks bleak doesn't it... Proud Gooner that I am, I still can't see Walcott setting the tournament ablaze. I was mystified by Defoe's exclusion - OK he hasn't been getting in the Tottenham team, but neither has Walcott at Arsenal. He can be selfish at times, but at least he's a player for whom you'd have no doubts about their ability to finish the ball. Even though he plies his trade in the Championship, I still would have picked Andy Johnson over Walcott.

And if Theo Walcott is good enough to play for England on the biggest stage of all, then why was Arsene Wenger happy to say to Sven that he did not require Theo's services for the Champions League Final? :wtf:

I hope I'm really fucking wrong.

Last edited:
LOL GO AUSTRALIA!!!!

i feel 100% confident that we can make it to the last 16.

I'm pretty sure I'm just being pessimistic about our chances at the World Cup but c'mon:

********** said:
I think you're DEAD wrong about Cisse (watch him displace Trezeguet from the French starting 11 and score three or four)

:rofl: Are we talking about the same player? I watched the cup final in the bar at my Hall, among the people gathered there, there must have been 20-odd keen Liverpool fans, and for the entire game they were bemoaning his absolute lack of talent. He took his goal well, but did nothing else all game. He's done nothing all season either: I guess he's Liverpool's top striker but has only managed 9 goals all season...

I mean the man spends more time offside than Ruud Van Nistelrooy, and that's saying something.

********** said:
I think you're wrong about Crouch (watch him come on and score at the World Cup), I think you're DEAD wrong about Cisse (watch him displace Trezeguet from the French starting 11 and score three or four), I think you're wrong about England not having anyone compared to those others... no-one in this tournament has a better squad than England, I think you're wrong about Gerrard as striker (he played the same position for Liverpool in some of their best victories), I think you're wrong about Defoe (Bent is much better and has played regularly) and I think you're wrong about Walcott (with his pace, why not gamble on him). Finally, I think you're wrong about who you support (Liverpool are better than Arsenal). ;)

So as far as I'm concerned, your hope came true. You're really fucking wrong. If Holland or Italy don't win this World Cup, England will.

Fox

Agreed on Crouch, he's better than what people give him credit for. Even I hated him at first and wondered what the hell is doing in Liverpool but that's different now.
Cisse over Trezeguet? I sincerely doubt it. Besides the fact that Trezeguet is the best finisher in the world, France doesn't need Cisse as much as they need Trez. Henry to create chances and Trez to finissh them off is perfection.
Agreed about Gerrard, Defoe and Bent but let's be honest, Brazil and Italy has a better roster than England's and, with all do respect, England always comes on as a favorite and never come through.
I wouldn't put my money on Walcott, he might be a great player with a big future in front of him but he's only 17.
Last but not least, Arsenal > Liverpool. :p

om3ga

Caught a couple of shows lately about one of England's World Cup's rivals, Trindad & Tobago.
The usual patronising dross about how plucky the underdogs are, how getting to the World Cup finals is a privilege in itself, playing England is the highlight of their World Cup, blah, blah blah.

Trinidad & Tobago might only have a snowball in hell's chance and may be better known for calypso and cricket, but to belittle them because they are not a major fottball power, reminds me of two things:

1) The British media's jokey treatment of Lordi - before the Eurovision Song Contest started (humble pie time, folks)

2) Senegal given no hope against France in the last World Cup tournament.

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8283/trinidadandtobago6lj.gif

If you want my 2 cents, Italy will win the cup, Argentina will be the disappointment of the year, England will lose in the semis at the last minutes, Ivory Coast will be the surprise of the year.

Calm said:
If you want my 2 cents, Italy will win the cup, Argentina will be the disappointment of the year, England will lose in the semis at the last minutes, Ivory Coast will be the surprise of the year.

hmm i think you are right there but i think Australia will also 'suprise' people due to our 2nd outing in the cup.

I'm backing France. I know that they havent been up to scratch recently but if they can pull themselves together, they can go very far. They have a great squad and the best striker in the world. In fact, I just bought the France away jersey yesterday for £10. What a bargain.

om3ga

I've backed Brazil from the start of this thread, but I'd be happy to see Sven go out on a high (sometimes though the man makes a rod for his own back, imo).