• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

horror movies

In my eyes it's like comparing Iron Maiden to Metallica.

Iron Maiden being the Kurt Russell version and Metallica being the prequel. I know some will think that's a good thing. But to me I would piss on one if they were on fire so as to save it... and I'd let the other fucker burn till there was nothing left then piss on the ashes and laugh.

LOL That's an interesting analogy ! To me, a big difference between the Kurt Russel Thing and the Prequel is the special effects ...Animatronics, special costumes, prosthetics vs. the overuse, in my opinion, of CGI digital animation which detracts from the overall creative presentation and makes the monster look more cartoonish ...

I think "The Thing" prequel repreasents some of the best of todays combination of all aspects of movie monster creation, but still, in my opinion, there was a little bit too much CGI digital animation which makes the monster look less real, and thus less scary

I am not suprised that Harley, and others, prefer the CGI dominant special effects in the Prequel over the Kurt Russell version,...but I'm old school on this issue and I prefer '80's and '90's special effects like HellRaiser, Poltergeist, Demon Night, Night of the Demons, The Blob, etc......before CGI became so prevalent.

Also I agree about the plot in the Prequel not being that original...I think that is what kind of confused me originally. In that the Prequel claims not to be a copy of the Kurt Russel version, but the story was similar enough to that version to make it actually seem like a re-make, with just some minor changes to character and plot....

But I still think "The Thing" Prequel is a pretty good movie overall...especially if you like CGI, and you haven't seen the original.

BCT

Pucker Up Butter Cup.
I need some help here from you horror fanatics, whats the movie with Deborah harry where its kind of like a "Creephow" type flick where this kid is telling her these different horror stories? Damn I can't remember the fucking name but I remember it was pretty damn good. :(

I need some help here from you horror fanatics, whats the movie with Deborah harry where its kind of like a "Creephow" type flick where this kid is telling her these different horror stories? Damn I can't remember the fucking name but I remember it was pretty damn good. :(

you mean blondie? and the kids stalling to save a trip to the oven? if so, its tales from the darkside youre looking for. i saw it in the drive in, and its good enough to own :thumbsup:

Hondarobot

Banned
You can join me anytime :) Next up is Grave Encounters.

It is a nice TV.

Yeah, it was HondaRobot's idea.

That couch is really comfortable! It's super soft, but sometimes the seat cushion parts slide out too far from getting too comfy on it and the back cushions fall back. It's hard to explain, but it's really annoying.

First time I've had J&B! It's not so bad. I'm not a fan of whisky, but it's not too bad. It'll take me a good while to finish off the bottle. Probably a year or so.

I'm glad you like the photos :) Hey, if you can make your thing entertaining enough, my eyes will be glued. And maybe more than just my eyes ;)

Sweet! What an awesome girl. I'm honestly busy right now but I'll read the whole thread later.

Harley is cool as fuck. :)

Hondarobot

Banned
She sure is.

I'm Jeff Anderson from Minneapolis, USA. Who are you? I don't like anonymous people following me around on forums.

I watched Rogue a few days ago. Very pleasantly surprised. It's a giant killer crocodile movie, which sounds bad right away, but it's not. It actually had a 26 million dollar budget and the Croc was mostly CGI, but looked good because it was mostly put to use in the dark/water. Plus it had pretty decent acting (Sam Worthington was in it for those who care, personally I think he is a bad actor but some people seem to like him). Check it out! And the Australian scenery is amazing during the first part of the movie.

Harley, glad you're getting around to Grave Encounters, I really hope you like it!

Patrick_S

persona non grata
I watched Rogue a few days ago. Very pleasantly surprised. It's a giant killer crocodile movie, which sounds bad right away, but it's not. It actually had a 26 million dollar budget and the Croc was mostly CGI, but looked good because it was mostly put to use in the dark/water. Plus it had pretty decent acting (Sam Worthington was in it for those who care, personally I think he is a bad actor but some people seem to like him). Check it out! And the Australian scenery is amazing during the first part of the movie.
You forgot the most important reason to watch the movie. Radha Mitchell plays the female lead in it!!!

I watched Pontypool last night. For those unfamiliar, it's about this small town Canadian radio shock jock and his crew of two female producers during a mysterious outbreak of something that turns people into mindless, zombie-like savages. It might sound like a typical zombie-esque/infected movie, but the majority of the story takes place in the empty radio station with eye-witness callers and news feeds providing the intense atmosphere.

If I said any more, I'd risk spoiling it. But it's a heavily character driven film that manages to convey utter chaos via clever dialog and emotional responses. There are scenes where we see the threat up close and personal..and it's chilling and it looks great, but it's not what the film is about. This goes a lot deeper than anything else pinned to the genre. Not perfect, but certainly worth a watch.

I also watched I Sell the Dead. This is a horror comedy set in pre-Victorian Ireland. It stars Dominic Monaghan and Ron Perlman and follows the accounts (via flashbacks) of a grave robber about to be beheaded for crimes he didn't commit. Technically, it is horror..there's heaps of gore, murder and twisted macabre themes, but it's more fun and comedic than anything. There is an over-arcing story and a satisfying conclusion, but the laughs and giggles is where it truly delivers. A Black Comedy that might be appreciated to fans of movies like, say, Shaun of the Dead or Evil Dead 2.

Patrick_S

persona non grata
I also watched I Sell the Dead. This is a horror comedy set in pre-Victorian Ireland. It stars Dominic Monaghan and Ron Perlman and follows the accounts (via flashbacks) of a grave robber about to be beheaded for crimes he didn't commit. Technically, it is horror..there's heaps of gore, murder and twisted macabre themes, but it's more fun and comedic than anything. There is an over-arcing story and a satisfying conclusion, but the laughs and giggles is where it truly delivers. A Black Comedy that might be appreciated to fans of movies like, say, Shaun of the Dead or Evil Dead 2.
I found I Sell The Dead to be a bit disappointing, i just didn´t think it was all that funny. I think Burke & Hare was a better "graverobber" comedy.

I found I Sell The Dead to be a bit disappointing, i just didn´t think it was all that funny. I think Burke & Hare was a better "graverobber" comedy.

I can appreciate that. I didn't go into the movie expecting a comedy, so I found a lot of the dark humor to be a nice little bonus to the overall macabre story. I'll have to give Burke and Hare a try...I haven't heard of it until today.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil (available on Netflix Instant ) was one that I enjoyed, but can understand why some wouldn't. It's a slapstick black comedy that turns the backwoods slasher genre on its head. It's over the top and the very end was unnecessary, but it's full of crazy kills and a real abundance of gore. It's silly and it's meant to be, but it still acts as a love letter to 80s era horror. A true comedy of errors which, at a few points, is actually kind of clever.

Another one some might not be familiar with is Stake Land. An orphaned teenage boy is taken in by a battle-hardened vampire hunter with a rough and tough exterior and a reluctant heart of gold. The two trek across the post-Apocalyptic countryside in search of a rumored sanctuary from the undead.

Sounds familiar, right? It could be said that Stake Land is essentially Zombie Land, but with vampires. But, honestly, it's a whole different animal. There is no comedy in Stake Land. Instead it's dark, bleak and chilling. The main protagonist, Mr., is essentially Wolverine; a heard drinking, women-loving badass who is great at killing, but not expressing his emotions. The kid is an innocent blank canvas, ready to be molded by the world around him.

The vampires are pretty grizzle. They kind of resemble modern error "zombies" or infected types. They are animalistic and think only of draining your blood into their bellies. And there are several species of them; ranging from childlike pushovers to armored berserkers.

It's grim, almost nihilistic and yet fun. Not a masterpiece, but still a movie that didn't deserve to be relegated into Direct-to-DVD territory. And it's NOT a Zombie Land ripoff.

although i havent watched "i sell the dead" yet, i will agree that burke & hare will be hard to beat... it was directed by landis.

Another one some might not be familiar with is Stake Land. An orphaned teenage boy is taken in by a battle-hardened vampire hunter with a rough and tough exterior and a reluctant heart of gold. The two trek across the post-Apocalyptic countryside in search of a rumored sanctuary from the undead.

Sounds familiar, right? It could be said that Stake Land is essentially Zombie Land, but with vampires. But, honestly, it's a whole different animal. There is no comedy in Stake Land. Instead it's dark, bleak and chilling. The main protagonist, Mr., is essentially Wolverine; a heard drinking, women-loving badass who is great at killing, but not expressing his emotions. The kid is an innocent blank canvas, ready to be molded by the world around him.

The vampires are pretty grizzle. They kind of resemble modern error "zombies" or infected types. They are animalistic and think only of draining your blood into their bellies. And there are several species of them; ranging from childlike pushovers to armored berserkers.

It's grim, almost nihilistic and yet fun. Not a masterpiece, but still a movie that didn't deserve to be relegated into Direct-to-DVD territory. And it's NOT a Zombie Land ripoff.

"stake land", just like burke &hare is an ifc film, and in the past few years i havent been terribly disappointed with what theyve been making/producing. when i first read about it, i instantly thought what you said. "zombieland ripoff", but it was actually decent. AND danielle harris is in it as well.

your description was pretty much spot on though :thumbsup:

and as far as it going straight to dvd, its not necessarily a bad thing.

although i havent watched "i sell the dead" yet, i will agree that burke & hare will be hard to beat... it was directed by landis.

"stake land", just like burke &hare is an ifc film, and in the past few years i havent been terribly disappointed with what theyve been making/producing. when i first read about it, i instantly thought what you said. "zombieland ripoff", but it was actually decent. AND danielle harris is in it as well.

your description was pretty much spot on though :thumbsup:

and as far as it going straight to dvd, its not necessarily a bad thing.

I wrote "grizzle" instead of "grizzly" and "error" instead of "era". I hate that. I blame the rum.

Thanks and, you're right, I totally left out the fact that Danielle Harris is in it. I was a bit bummed to see that she was portraying a pregnant woman in the movie though.

I heard that she's in Hatchet 2. I also heard that she's kind of awful in it. I wasn't a fan of the first one, but I'll check out the sequel when it hits Netflix Instant. I'm curious to see what a "bad" Danielle Harris performance looks like. She was the ONLY good thing about Zombie's Halloween II.