• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

World Cup 2006 thread

Who is going to win the World Cup 2006 in Germany?

• Brazil

Votes: 77 26.1%
  • Argentina

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • England

Votes: 39 13.2%
  • Germany

Votes: 49 16.6%
  • Italy

Votes: 22 7.5%
  • Holland

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • USA

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • Portugal

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • South Korea

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Other (state country in your answer)

Votes: 40 13.6%

• Total voters
from what I've heard, Rooney will be out for 6 weeks.
so he'll still probably be able to go to Germany, but maybe just miss the first one or two games.

om3ga

It's good to be the king...
stek1983 said:
from what I've heard, Rooney will be out for 6 weeks.
so he'll still probably be able to go to Germany, but maybe just miss the first one or two games.

Hmm...

Sven-Goran Eriksson has confirmed he plans to take Wayne Rooney to the World Cup despite his foot injury.

details:
Rooney will be in England squad

om3ga said:
Hmm...

Sven-Goran Eriksson has confirmed he plans to take Wayne Rooney to the World Cup despite his foot injury.

details:
Rooney will be in England squad
even though i disagree with what Gerrard is saying.
Steven Gerrard said:
(that's right, Stevie G is a member at FreeOnes)
it would be "impossible" for England to succeed in this summer's World Cup without striker Wayne Rooney
i kinda agree with him, we need Rooney.
that's why i'm happy to hear...

... Eriksson set to gamble on Rooney

Last edited:

om3ga

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says he doubts Wayne Rooney will play in this summer's World Cup.

Ferguson told United's website: "You never know, but at the moment I doubt that he will take part because of the recovery time. Without doubt it is a crippling blow for England."

Ferguson queries Rooney Cup role

om3ga

Probably posted elsewhere (but this IS the World Cup thread):

McClaren named next England manager

Whatever the opinions of McClaren, he deserves to be given a chance before being judged....:angels:

England's squad announced today.

Keepers: Robinson, Green, James

Defenders: Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, A. Cole, Campbell, Carragher, Bridge

Mifield: Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Downing, J. Cole, Carrick, Hargreaves, Jenas, Lennon

Attack: Rooney, Owen, Crouch, Walcott

Stand-by: Carson, Young, Reo-Coker, Johnson, Defoe

A few shocks there, why has he put a player who has 0 minutes of Premiership football in a squad for the world cup?

In a lot of ways being the favorite has some drawbacks for sports teams. If the team wins they are only doing what everybody expected them to do, but if they lose they will have to hear about how they blew it for a long time. That can put more pressure on some people.

The day that squads had to be named was yesterday and all countries named the players who hope they will win them the world cup.

Me personally, I am gutted that Jose Quitongo has not been selected by Angola.

Argentina have surprised many by leaving Javier Zanetti out of the squad. Messi is included despite being injured. As for some unknown reason is Lionel Scaloni of West Ham.

Injured players Shevchenko (Ukraine) , Koller (Czech) and Totti (Italy) have all been selected in there countries squads.

Freddy Adu has missed out in the USA squad. I bet he wishes he accepted the offer to play for Ghana in the World Cup.

I'm probably the only one who thinks Brazil isn't a favorite.
Le'ts review their roster.

Dida: Very weak this season, has A LOT of problems with high balls.
Cafu and R. Carlos: Geniuses of Football, one of the best defenders of all times, but, rather old and young players can give them alot of problems.

Kaka: Brilliant player but, as proved when Milan played Barcelona, if the opposing team can guard him well he will be out of the game and will have trouble jumping back in.

Ronaldo and Adriano: Very very weak season for Adriano and even Ronaldo, although Ronaldo knows what to do in these events.

Calm said:

Cafu and R. Carlos: Geniuses of Football, one of the best defenders of all times, but, rather old and young players can give them alot of problems.

Kaka: Brilliant player but, as proved when Milan played Barcelona, if the opposing team can guard him well he will be out of the game and will have trouble jumping back in.

Ronaldo and Adriano: Very very weak season for Adriano and even Ronaldo, although Ronaldo knows what to do in these events.

Well from what I've been reading Calm, Dida isn't first choice, Ceni is Sao Paulo keeper. As for Cafu, he said already he won't play in most the games, but felt he'd accept the call up to help the younger players. Kaka not the only midfielder they've got, in fact just about any of there midfielders would get a certain starting place in just about every other countries midfield. That is except very few countries. Ronaldo out of shape and been playing for Brazil anyway.

The second eleven would beat most countries in the world, hell so would there third choice eleven.

French squad if now out :
Barthez will be our first goal instead of the favorite G.Coupet...
and newcomers are Pascal Chimbonda (the best right-defence of the premiership) and Franck Ribéry, a great player actually at Marseille and elected in france "best hope of 2006"...

The plays are made, then wait and see if at least we are able to win against switzerland... ;)

Well I will say this, at least everyone elses squads have a striker. England have Rooney (injuried and IMO not going to be fit for any of the world cup), Owen (been out since december and not proven if fit), Crouch (no comment and he plays for my club), Walcott (a untried 17 year old, who's a winger and is somewhat of a talent, but not a striker). So there you have it, who's going to score the goals. IMO we should have picked Dafoe instead of having him on the reserve list.

Good job theres Gerrard, oh no wait Sven's in charge so he'll be held back by instructions.

poggy1 said:
Well I will say this, at least everyone elses squads have a striker. England have Rooney (injuried and IMO not going to be fit for any of the world cup), Owen (been out since december and not proven if fit), Crouch (no comment and he plays for my club), Walcott (a untried 17 year old, who's a winger and is somewhat of a talent, but not a striker). So there you have it, who's going to score the goals. IMO we should have picked Dafoe instead of having him on the reserve list.

Good job theres Gerrard, oh no wait Sven's in charge so he'll be held back by instructions.

I agree on Dafoe and even Bent should have been called, IMO. Crouch is not bad at all, people have been dissing him when he started playing but he proved he can put the ball in the net.
England still has Gerrard and Lampard (most goal in Chelsea, impressive for a midfielder that has Drogba and Crespo in front of him); even if Eriksson "interrupts" Gerrard and Lampard with defensive instructions, they're still both capable of bombing from 30-40 meters (see Liverpool vs Westham).

Congrats on the cup, by the way, poggy. :hatsoff:

darkman

Retired Moderator
Calm said:

All the above players had a weak season at their clubs BUT when they are playing for our national team the history changes... They have never played bad in a game (except in 1998 - final). I can guarantee to you that Dida, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Kaka, Ronaldo and Adriano will start the first game in Germany. Lets bring one more trophy Brazil !! :nanner: