• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Beautiful galaxy and space thread

Rane1071

For the EMPEROR!!
Watch Mercury Transit the Sun on Nov. 11

On Nov. 11, Earthlings will be treated to a rare cosmic event — a Mercury transit.

Mercury transits happen about 13 times a century. Though it takes Mercury only about 88 days to zip around the Sun, its orbit is tilted, so it’s relatively rare for the Sun, Mercury and Earth to line up perfectly. The next Mercury transit isn’t until 2032 — and in the U.S., the next opportunity to catch a Mercury transit is in 2049!

The week ahead for you eye pleasures

On a side note three weeks ago I saw a star, I thought it to be venus, but perhaps it was Uranus. I don't know all the technical positions like so but what I do know is what I see on a nightsky with no city lights or my little telescope. I just love gazing the sky. I wish I could be in the pitch dark desert again and really see the wonders. But enjoy fellow FO Space Followers!

http://astronomy.com/observing/sky-this-week/2019/11/the-sky-this-week-from-november-15-to-24

Rane1071

For the EMPEROR!!
Been watching Prof Brian Coxs' wonderful documentaries this weekend. These are just a couple of my favourite parts.

Death of a star.

Death of the universe.

And something for Whimsy.

:D

Rane1071

For the EMPEROR!!
Cosmic Couples and Devastating Breakups

Relationships can be complicated — especially if you’re a pair of stars. Sometimes you start a downward spiral you just can’t get out of, eventually crash together and set off an explosion that can be seen 130 million light-years away.

When you look at a star in the night sky, you may really be viewing two or more stars dancing around each other. Scientists estimate three or four out of every five Sun-like stars in the Milky Way have at least one partner. Take our old [NOBABE]north star[/NOBABE] Thuban, for example. It’s a binary, or two-star, system in the constellation Draco.

Sometimes, though, a stellar couple ends its relationship in a way that’s really disastrous for one of them. A [NOBABE] black widow[/NOBABE] binary, for example, contains a low-mass star, called a brown dwarf, and a rapidly spinning, superdense stellar corpse called a pulsar. The pulsar generates intense radiation and particle winds that blow away the material of the other star over millions to billions of years.

Scientists have observed two types of black holes. Supermassive black holes are hundreds of thousands to billions of times our Sun’s mass. One of these monsters, called Sagittarius A* (the “*” is pronounced “star”), sits at the center of our own Milky Way. In a sense, our galaxy and its black hole are childhood sweethearts — they’ve been together for over 13 billion years! All the Milky-Way-size galaxies we’ve seen so far, including our neighbor Andromeda (pictured below), have supermassive black holes at their center!