• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Ukraine

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
I feel another "you live under a bridge and eat birds" post is just moments away.

Apparently, being the mentally challenged offspring of two developmentally stunted idiots, you lack the basic comprehension to understand that you were being called a troll. That you don't understand is supposed to reflect poorly on me only works in the fantasy world of your diseased and feeble brain, what little of one you possess.

Philbert

Banned
Apparently, being the mentally challenged offspring of two developmentally stunted idiots, you lack the basic comprehension to understand that you were being called a troll. That you don't understand is supposed to reflect poorly on me only works in the fantasy world of your diseased and feeble brain, what little of one you possess.
:crybaby:
:rofl2:

Philbert

Banned
Posts like these are what cause people to correctly call you stupid.

Amazing how exactly perfectly that flame describes your new position as a 'Stooge...maybe Ace could help you out with a bit more subtle photoflames; that one is as basically childish as it gets...:facepalm:

Misfire the Clown said:
. Apparently, being the mentally challenged offspring of two developmentally stunted idiots, you lack the basic comprehension to understand that you were being called a troll. That you don't understand is supposed to reflect poorly on me only works in the fantasy world of your diseased and feeble brain, what little of one you possess.

Although one might ask if this is so, what does that say about you when you've devoted literally thousands of words and several posts describing how low my intelligence is but can't come up with anything showing just how this is? Or any way to crush me with wit and logic once and for all?:rofl:

I find your frantic efforts to avoid the facts and keep trying to find that perfect putdown in tweenieland grin-producing; You are a clown to me. :yahoo: Amuse me some more...
Troll is thy name, and thine words produce puffs of dust signifying nothing.:D

:booty:

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
Amazing how exactly perfectly that flame describes your new position as a 'Stooge...maybe Ace could help you out with a bit more subtle photoflames; that one is as basically childish as it gets..

Although one might ask if this is so, what does that say about you when you've devoted literally thousands of words and several posts describing how low my intelligence is but can't come up with anything showing just how this is? Or any way to crush me with wit and logic once and for all?

I find your frantic efforts to avoid the facts and keep trying to find that perfect putdown in tweenieland grin-producing; You are a clown to me. Amuse me some more...
Troll is thy name, and thine words produce puffs of dust signifying nothing.

One only need read the bile you constantly spew to see a full demonstration of your low intelligence and lies. You couldn't recognize facts if they bitch slapped you with a brick. You've had every opportunity to contribute but the best you can muster is your usual ducking, stalling, and name calling, your trifecta of dumb. Keep replying, Failbert, prove just how fragile your ego really is.

Philbert

Banned
One only need read the bile you constantly spew to see a full demonstration of your low intelligence and lies. You couldn't recognize facts if they bitch slapped you with a brick. You've had every opportunity to contribute but the best you can muster is your usual ducking, stalling, and name calling, your trifecta of dumb. Keep replying, Failbert, prove just how fragile your ego really is.

While you keep saying the same things, over and over.
You do seem to be having a major pscychological shutdown; are you really having a breakdown online?
Seems like it...
You haven't made any "contributions" to the vague discussion going on at all, Ukraine is not an issue anyone can "solve", so you just post here to troll (while hijacking the thread to accuse me of being a troll, you and your new posse do nothing else).:facepalm:
You can't see it, apparently, which proves your constant attempts to convince yourself you're the man, are puerile and silly...you are a pisant poopslinger who refuses to look in the virtual mirror and accept your failings...still a loser and still trying the find the lowest level you can to win some sort of contest you have started with MustBeDumb and the chickenman...who's the silliest fool in the land.
You may have a chance to be that guy, chickenman is not real smart and we ALL know how stupid MBD is...
Good luck with that, being an internet asshole is a category you can surely continue to dominate...while spending a great deal of time telling me how useless it is to deal with me, you keep trying to keep your posts down to 20 or so...trolls are like STDs, your type is always around ready to infect a thread at first chance.
I still find you amusing, and can't wait for your next long rant about how I'm the troll and you're just a thread hijacker who has a lot to flame; kinda stupid but that's how you roll.
Sad.

At least you have the Koch Bros to fall back on if nothing else...:rofl2:

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5173559.html

Here's Why Putin Calling Eastern Ukraine 'Novorossiya' Is Important

The Huffington Post | by Nick Robins-Early

Posted: 04/18/2014 9:47 am EDT Updated: 04/18/2014 11:59 am EDT

A casual listener may have missed it, but many Ukraine-watchers raised their brow when Russian President Vladimir Putin used the weighty term "Novorossiya" or "New Russia" to refer to some regions in Ukraine on Thursday. "It's new Russia," Putin told the audience during his nearly four-hour long televised Q&A. "Kharkiv, Luhansk, Donetsk, Odessa were not part of Ukraine in czarist times, they were transferred in 1920. Why? God knows."
To give you a little background, "Novorossiya" is an archaic term for an area that was controlled by Russia during the imperial czarist times of the 19th century. In The New Republic, Linda Kinstler explains that the name referred to "the formerly Ottoman territory that Catherine the Great conquered in the Russo-Turkish Wars," an area that is mostly comprised of what is now southern and eastern Ukraine.
When Putin chose to use this specific term to describe Ukraine's east on Thursday, many worried he was openly embracing the notion of an old imperial Russia, one which held control over what is now a sovereign country.
But Putin hasn't been the only one taking up the term recently. Rather, the president played into the slogans pro-Russia activists in eastern Ukraine have been chanting in recent weeks.
Reporting from Eastern Ukraine for Foreign Policy, Christian Caryl writes that some of the protesters in the region have been using the term "Novorossiya" to refer to an autonomous region they want to create, one with strong Russian allegiances. Caryl adds that given the importance of these regions for the Ukrainian national economy, such a move would be a gigantic blow to the already cash-strapped government in Kiev.
In order to really understand why the use of "Novorossiya" is causing many to take note, it's also helpful to understand one more term: Irredentism. As political scientist Stephen Saideman defines it, "irredentism is the effort to reunify a 'lost' territory inhabited by ethnic kin with either a mother country or with other territories also inhabited by ethnic kin."
By using the term "Novorossiya," Putin sounds like he's making exactly such a claim on the regions of eastern Ukraine, and even if it may be just a piece of political theater on his part, it's enough raise alarm.

New_Russia_on_territory_of_Ukraine.png

Speaking of Eastern Ukraine, watching Al Jazeera America, they had a story about how the majority of the residents in eastern Ukraine want to remain with Russia.

Reason, they feel more protected by the Russians.

Putin has also allowed open immigration into Russia for anyone who was a citizen in the former Soviet Bloc at birth.

We need to stop believing that the world revolves around us(the U.S).
The problem continues to be existing US treaties, including with the Ukraine.

We need to stop thinking that if bad things are happening around the world, it's one that we caused and one that we can fix.
Unfortunately, prior administrations, often going back decades, made many guarantees to many allies. Most Americans don't recognize the geo-politics involved, from North Korea to the Russians. Every time we fail to back our promises, we actually cause more destablization.

The Ukraine is already talking of pulling out of the NPT and kickstarting a program.

The U.S is irrelevant in the Ukraine.
Except for the very important security treaty we signed, whereby the Ukraine gave up its nuclear weapons.

We have no good cards to play in Ukraine.
The same could be said for the Middle East, and most areas outside of the Americas. Other than some metals in China, a policy of non-interference outside of the Americans would be quite achievable. And since the Chinese have a policy of non-interference already, it would only appease them more.

The US is now, once again, the world's #1 petroleum producer, and has such a glut of natural gas as a by-product, that we are exporting coal, heavily, as much higher prices than it can be sold for in North America. The US has been reducing its dependence on Middle East oil over the last few decades, as long been under 40%, and now hitting only 20%, easily displaced by either more domestic production and/or South America. The EU and Japan are over 80%.

Natural gas doesn't travel by tanker very well, so prices of coal outside of North America are very high, unlike in North America where natural gas prices can compete with coal. Many fossil fuel power plants are designed to utilize either. With the Russians over doubling their prices on natural gas, where the EU gets 80% of theirs, this is really squeezing them hard, and only pushing the more to US coal. And they are competing with the Chinese for US coal as well, so it's a sellers market, unlike the glut of supply here in the US that has lowered prices drastically.

Britain and France decreased their militaries in the '60s, and can no longer secure the lands and, increasingly since the '80s in the UK, not even the seas. So the question isn't just the Ukraine. It's how many allies and how much security does the US want to give up? It's not only a pre-Shan Iran question, but the original George Washington warning. Do not get involved in European affairs. Even Clinton dealt with that during Bosnia, twice no less.

Obama's policies are irrelevant just as Bush's were in 2008 when Russia invaded Georgia.
W. was also powerless to gain support, having decided to invade Iraq. Of course, even if he had not invaded Iraq, Afghanistan is a study of failed foreign policy going back to Reagan and even post-Soviet pull-out.

A lot of the media was lambasting W. for merely sending Coast Guard Cutters into the Black Sea to deliver humanitarian aid. All while W. never once violated the Black Sea treaties limiting the number of NATO warships, even withdrawing ships for each Cutter.

Just like the media used to lambast W. over North Korea, even though W. followed the Carter-brokered 1994 deal that the Clinton administration signed, to the letter. Eventually North Korea just went full tilt, as even the Clinton administration also charged them of doing in 1999, in total violation of the 1994 agreement. And that's when the US removed itself, and the 6-party talks resulted in everyone agreeing North Korea has been and always will be its own problem.

Every time the media plays politics, they limit the President's options. I am increasingly becoming an isolationist American, because we no longer seem to be able to support our own treaties, and only appease every aggressor. Might as well give it up, before we go bankrupt. Adopt a Chinese-like policy, don't take any stances, avoid direct interference, all while getting cheap resources from dictators.

Durfar is a sad situation so few know about, and many oil companies -- many not US-based -- are more than willing to cut the Chinese a deal at half the price of the US, for their backing. Just one example. Heck, the US fought the first 6 years of the Iraq conflict with its military paying full price -- locally in Iraq -- for gasoline, diesel and kerosene, while Iraqi citizens paid about 1/5th the same price, even from the same pumps. The US paying "fair market value" for the US, locally, until an "agreement" was reached to actually have the US military -- those deployed in Iraq -- actually get to pay local prices.

How many "imperialist" nations have done that? I say ... time to go non-interference. Kinda harder to blame the US for things it's not directly involved with.

Speaking of Eastern Ukraine, watching Al Jazeera America, they had a story about how the majority of the residents in eastern Ukraine want to remain with Russia. Reason, they feel more protected by the Russians.
Yep. It's reached the point where the "farce" that most eastern Ukrainians, like those in Crimea, feel they are more Russian than Ukrainian, has pretty much been debunked.

But it is very much true that at this point, they are willing to side with the Russians for security. The US defense agreement is pretty much paper at this point. So I don't blame them.

Putin has also allowed open immigration into Russia for anyone who was a citizen in the former Soviet Bloc at birth.
He also stated a lot of things for Georgians too. Most of which he didn't follow through on. The only thing the Russians followed through on is utterly failing to prevent genocide in Georgia, as a result of their taking control of most of the country.

As much as people blame the US for infighting in Iraq as a result of occupation, the US never ignored the UN mandate that an occupying power becomes responsible for the coordinated actions of those people under the occupation, and tried to prevent all sides from in-fighting. The Russians gave South Ossetians a "blank check" to the point that, despite many conflicting views and reports on what kind of war crimes went on, they all agreed the Russians did nothing to stop the geocides committed by the South Ossentians allied with them, overwhelmingly.

I'm sure that's also part of the contributing factor in why most Ukrainians are identifying themselves as Russian in Crimea, and now in portions of the eastern Ukraine like Donetsk. People aren't stupid. They'll let the Ukrainian security forces "try," but they aren't going to tell militants what they don't want to hear. If they are lucky, they are actually unmarked, but active Russian special forces who usually don't kill civilians as policy. And if not, well, they know from what the Russians let the South Ossentians do.

^^^

Ukraine after going independent made a big mistake not joining NATO.

But at the same time if they tried to join NATO, Putin would of then at that point made a power move.

Ukraine's Pro-Russia 'Militia' Look Suspiciously Like Veteran Russian Soldiers
The Atlantic Wire By Danielle Wiener-Bronner

In a totally unsurprising development, there seems to be mounting and significant evidence that pro-Russia Ukrainian separatists are probably actual Russian soldiers.

The New York Times reached this conclusion after comparing a number of photographs of the militia to those of "activists" in Crimea and Russian soldiers who fought in the Chechen war.

The Times analysis reveals that one bearded gentleman bearing a Russian Special Forces patch in one photo, taken in Georgia in 2008, looks suspiciously like a "Ukrainian" separatist seen in the east Ukrainian cities of Kramatorsk and Slovyansk. Other photos show men who appeared in a military group photo, taken in Russia, in those two cities as well.

The Times also points out that the Ukrainian separatists use the same helmets as Russian troops, and that the armed men in Crimea and east Ukraine dress in basically the same way.

Also, Russia has a penchant for waging "special wars" in just this way. The Times explains:

class="story-body-text story-content">Masking the identity of its forces, and clouding the possibilities for international denunciation, is a central part of the Russian strategy, developed over years of conflict in the former Soviet sphere, Ukrainian and American officials say. John R. Schindler, a former National Security Agency counterintelligence officer who now teaches at the Naval War College, calls it “special war”: “an amalgam of espionage, subversion, even forms of terrorism to attain political ends without actually going to war in any conventional sense.”

NATO's General Philip Breedlove offered his own analysis last week, saying that "the pro-Russian 'activists' in eastern Ukraine exhibit tell-tale military training and equipment and work together in a way that is consistent with troops who are part of a long-standing unit, not spontaneously stood up from a local militia." He also said that "the weapon handling discipline and professional behavior of these forces is consistent with a trained military force."

Back to the war games and Putin threatening intervention if Kiev uses force on the Russian born hooligans that are taking over government buildings in the east.

Russia is excising war games in the east near Ukraine and NATO is doing the same in the Baltic.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/opini...-no-economic-shape-to-fight-a-war/498728.html

Last Friday evening, the Russian Security Council met. In attendance were 12 men — almost all of whom are around 60 years old and who once worked in the KGB in St. Petersburg — and one woman. Many have speculated that they might have agreed on a plan to invade eastern and southern Ukraine after Putin revived the term "Novorossia," or New Russia.

None has significant economic insights. In the U.S., by contrast, the slightly larger National Security Council includes several economic officials, starting with the treasury secretary because the U.S. considers national security decisions economic issues as well.

Not surprisingly, the Kremlin seems oblivious to Russia's economic weakness. In his marathon television show last week, Putin said: "There are certain apprehensions [from the West] with regard to Russia itself — its huge territory, potential growth and power. This is why they prefer to cut us to size and take us to pieces."

But Russia has only a 2.9 percent share of global gross domestic product. This is only 6 percent of NATO's GDP. In 2012, Russia's defense expenditures corresponded to one-tenth of NATO's defense expenditures. A country so economically weak would be well advised not to challenge far wealthier and stronger neighbors. To make matters worse, Russia has few allies.

In particular, Russia is likely to be highly vulnerable to financial sanctions. One month ago, the Western discussion on possible sanctions against Russia focused on whether they could be effective. During the spring meeting of the International Monetary Fund in Washington April 12 to 13, the question was turned around: Do we really want to destroy Russia that fast? The dominant theme was that geopolitical risk is back, and Russia is seen as the main risk.

Official Russian reactions to the Western threat of sanctions have been that Russia's state corporations would invest in Russia and that Russia would establish its own payments system, making itself independent of the Western financial system. But none of this is realistic.

In its March report on the Russian economy, the World Bank showed that the country's total foreign debt at the end of January was $732 billion. The distribution between public and private debt is only available from October last year. Then, state banks had $128 billion and nonfinancial state corporations $164 billion of foreign debt. Adding $80 billion of government foreign debt, Russia's total public foreign debt was $372 billion, while its international currency reserves are $477 billion, but much of those can be frozen as well.

This makes Russia highly vulnerable to international financial sanctions. In an insightful article in Foreign Affairs magazine on April 10, Robert Kahn argued that "Russia's relationship to global financial markets — integrated, highly leveraged and opaque — creates vulnerability, which sanctions could exploit to produce a Russian 'Lehman moment': a sharp, rapid deleveraging with major consequences for Russia's ability to trade and invest."

That could mean a "sudden stop" of international finance to Russia, which would have devastating consequences for its economy. State banks and other state-controlled corporations are not creditors to the West but big borrowers. Companies such as Rosneft have larger debts than their market capitalization, and their debts are held abroad. If they are not able to roll over their large foreign debts, they will be starved of capital.

In recent weeks, the discussion in Washington has hardly been about whether to sanction Russian state banks but rather which ones and when is the best time to do it. Any significant bank that established itself in Crimea would be sanctioned. Gazprombank appears a prime target since its beneficiary owner, Bank Rossiya, is already sanctioned. In addition, it is relatively small and not that well connected with the rest of the financial system, so it could be used as a trial balloon.

Ukraine's Prosecutor General's Office has just initiated a criminal case against Sberbank, and probably will for other Russian state banks, for "financing terrorists," which is considered an extremely serious crime in the U.S.

Based on recent U.S. statements, it would be surprising if Washington does not sanction one or several Russian state banks this week.

Moreover, Kahn writes, "The West can mete out some degree of financial punishment without even explicitly sanctioning Russian banks." This can be accomplished by simply tightening rules governing due diligence and money-laundering activities. Usually, sanctions are only effective if European countries apply the sanctions as well, but given the dominant role of the U.S. in the regulation of global finance, little can be done without the approval of U.S. authorities. Recently, U.S. law enforcement fined British bank HSBC $1.2 billion for having laundered drug money in Mexico.

Putin's idea of a Russian payment system is a pipe dream. Who would accept Russian credit cards abroad? The big Russian state banks have already problems maintaining elementary correspondent relations because of their opacity. VTB Capital, for example, has complained about regulatory problems in London.

To judge by growth forecasts, JP Morgan and Finnish BOFIT assess that sheer market volatility in March alone shaved off 2 percentage points from Russia's expected economic growth this year. In the first quarter, Russia's GDP contracted by half a percent. In March, the World Bank presented a "high-risk" scenario in which Russia's GDP would decline by 1.8 percent in 2014, capital flight may reach $133 billion, and investment may fall by one-tenth. At present, that looks like a low-risk scenario.

The IMF and the Washington-based Institute of International Finance have recently produced much more pessimistic scenarios, which have not been published as yet. Both consider stress scenarios with a decline of Russia's GDP this year of about 4 percent, capital outflows in $150 billion to $180 billion and sharply falling exchange rates. Similarly, former Finance Minister Alexei Kudrin predicts a capital outflow of $160 billion this year. GDP could fall more because the risks are many, and they are nearly all on the downside.

The impact of the Kremlin's aggression against Ukraine on the Russian economy will be powerful and multifaceted. The country's international currency reserves will fall, but probably not below $350 billion. The ruble exchange rate will plunge, while inflation and interest rates will rise, reducing investment and consumption. The main positive effects will come from the cheaper ruble that will boost exports and improve the current account as well as the budget balance. The central problem will be falling standard of living, which is vital for Putin's power.

If Russia's National Security Council had invited one of the country's many good economists, it would probably have heard that Russia is in no shape to carry out an aggressive war in Ukraine.

The author's articles makes much sense in economic terms fro Russia. But he should leave the defense side of things to defense professionals. The Russian military has much top of the line equipment that it inherited from the Soviet Union. The Soviets spent 20% of their GDP on defense. The Russians have done a great job upgrading their air defenses.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/opinion/article/russia-is-in-no-economic-shape-to-fight-a-war/498728.html

Last Friday evening, the Russian Security Council met. In attendance were 12 men — almost all of whom are around 60 years old and who once worked in the KGB in St. Petersburg — and one woman. Many have speculated that they might have agreed on a plan to invade eastern and southern Ukraine after Putin revived the term "Novorossia," or New Russia.

None has significant economic insights. In the U.S., by contrast, the slightly larger National Security Council includes several economic officials, starting with the treasury secretary because the U.S. considers national security decisions economic issues as well.

Not surprisingly, the Kremlin seems oblivious to Russia's economic weakness. In his marathon television show last week, Putin said: "There are certain apprehensions [from the West] with regard to Russia itself — its huge territory, potential growth and power. This is why they prefer to cut us to size and take us to pieces."

But Russia has only a 2.9 percent share of global gross domestic product. This is only 6 percent of NATO's GDP. In 2012, Russia's defense expenditures corresponded to one-tenth of NATO's defense expenditures. A country so economically weak would be well advised not to challenge far wealthier and stronger neighbors. To make matters worse, Russia has few allies.

In particular, Russia is likely to be highly vulnerable to financial sanctions. One month ago, the Western discussion on possible sanctions against Russia focused on whether they could be effective. During the spring meeting of the International Monetary Fund in Washington April 12 to 13, the question was turned around: Do we really want to destroy Russia that fast? The dominant theme was that geopolitical risk is back, and Russia is seen as the main risk.

Official Russian reactions to the Western threat of sanctions have been that Russia's state corporations would invest in Russia and that Russia would establish its own payments system, making itself independent of the Western financial system. But none of this is realistic.

In its March report on the Russian economy, the World Bank showed that the country's total foreign debt at the end of January was $732 billion. The distribution between public and private debt is only available from October last year. Then, state banks had $128 billion and nonfinancial state corporations $164 billion of foreign debt. Adding $80 billion of government foreign debt, Russia's total public foreign debt was $372 billion, while its international currency reserves are $477 billion, but much of those can be frozen as well.

This makes Russia highly vulnerable to international financial sanctions. In an insightful article in Foreign Affairs magazine on April 10, Robert Kahn argued that "Russia's relationship to global financial markets — integrated, highly leveraged and opaque — creates vulnerability, which sanctions could exploit to produce a Russian 'Lehman moment': a sharp, rapid deleveraging with major consequences for Russia's ability to trade and invest."

That could mean a "sudden stop" of international finance to Russia, which would have devastating consequences for its economy. State banks and other state-controlled corporations are not creditors to the West but big borrowers. Companies such as Rosneft have larger debts than their market capitalization, and their debts are held abroad. If they are not able to roll over their large foreign debts, they will be starved of capital.

In recent weeks, the discussion in Washington has hardly been about whether to sanction Russian state banks but rather which ones and when is the best time to do it. Any significant bank that established itself in Crimea would be sanctioned. Gazprombank appears a prime target since its beneficiary owner, Bank Rossiya, is already sanctioned. In addition, it is relatively small and not that well connected with the rest of the financial system, so it could be used as a trial balloon.

Ukraine's Prosecutor General's Office has just initiated a criminal case against Sberbank, and probably will for other Russian state banks, for "financing terrorists," which is considered an extremely serious crime in the U.S.

Based on recent U.S. statements, it would be surprising if Washington does not sanction one or several Russian state banks this week.

Moreover, Kahn writes, "The West can mete out some degree of financial punishment without even explicitly sanctioning Russian banks." This can be accomplished by simply tightening rules governing due diligence and money-laundering activities. Usually, sanctions are only effective if European countries apply the sanctions as well, but given the dominant role of the U.S. in the regulation of global finance, little can be done without the approval of U.S. authorities. Recently, U.S. law enforcement fined British bank HSBC $1.2 billion for having laundered drug money in Mexico.

Putin's idea of a Russian payment system is a pipe dream. Who would accept Russian credit cards abroad? The big Russian state banks have already problems maintaining elementary correspondent relations because of their opacity. VTB Capital, for example, has complained about regulatory problems in London.

To judge by growth forecasts, JP Morgan and Finnish BOFIT assess that sheer market volatility in March alone shaved off 2 percentage points from Russia's expected economic growth this year. In the first quarter, Russia's GDP contracted by half a percent. In March, the World Bank presented a "high-risk" scenario in which Russia's GDP would decline by 1.8 percent in 2014, capital flight may reach $133 billion, and investment may fall by one-tenth. At present, that looks like a low-risk scenario.

The IMF and the Washington-based Institute of International Finance have recently produced much more pessimistic scenarios, which have not been published as yet. Both consider stress scenarios with a decline of Russia's GDP this year of about 4 percent, capital outflows in $150 billion to $180 billion and sharply falling exchange rates. Similarly, former Finance Minister Alexei Kudrin predicts a capital outflow of $160 billion this year. GDP could fall more because the risks are many, and they are nearly all on the downside.

The impact of the Kremlin's aggression against Ukraine on the Russian economy will be powerful and multifaceted. The country's international currency reserves will fall, but probably not below $350 billion. The ruble exchange rate will plunge, while inflation and interest rates will rise, reducing investment and consumption. The main positive effects will come from the cheaper ruble that will boost exports and improve the current account as well as the budget balance. The central problem will be falling standard of living, which is vital for Putin's power.

If Russia's National Security Council had invited one of the country's many good economists, it would probably have heard that Russia is in no shape to carry out an aggressive war in Ukraine.

The author's articles makes much sense in economic terms fro Russia. But he should leave the defense side of things to defense professionals. The Russian military has much top of the line equipment that it inherited from the Soviet Union. The Soviets spent 20% of their GDP on defense. The Russians have done a great job upgrading their air defenses.

Ukraine's restive east slipping from government's grasp
Reuters By Marko Djurica

HORLIVKA, Ukraine (Reuters) - Pro-Moscow separatists seized government offices in more Ukrainian towns on Wednesday, in a further sign that authorities in Kiev are losing control of the country's eastern industrial heartland bordering Russia.

Gunmen who turned up at dawn took control of official buildings in Horlivka, a town of almost 300,000 people, said a Reuters photographer. They refused to be photographed.

The heavily armed men wore the same military uniforms without insignia as other unidentified "green men" who have joined pro-Russian protesters with clubs and chains in seizing control of towns across Ukraine's Donbass coal and steel belt.

Some 30 pro-Russian separatists also seized a city council building in Alchevsk, further east in Luhansk region, Interfax-Ukraine news agency said. They took down the Ukrainian flag and flew a city banner before allowing workers to leave.

Attempts to contain the insurgency by the government in Kiev have proved largely unsuccessful, with security forces repeatedly outmaneuvered by the separatists. The West and the new Ukrainian government accuse Russia of being behind the unrest, a charge Moscow denies.

Daniel Baer, the U.S. ambassador to the OSCE, a European security watchdog which has monitors in the region, told reporters in Vienna: "I think it's very clear that what is happening would not be happening without Russian involvement."

A police official in Donetsk, the provincial capital where separatists have declared a "People's Republic of Donetsk", said separatists were also in control of the Horlivka police station, having seized the regional police headquarters earlier in April.

The murder of a town councilor from Horlivka who opposed the separatists was cited by Kiev last week among reasons for launching new efforts to regain control of the region.

Wednesday's takeovers followed the fall of the main government buildings on Tuesday further east in Luhansk, capital of Ukraine's easternmost province, driving home just how far control over the densely populated region has slipped from the central government in Kiev.

"They've taken them. The government administration and police," the police official said of Horlivka.

SECESSION REFERENDUM

The town sits just north of Donetsk, unofficial capital of the whole Donbass area, where mainly Russian-speaking separatists have called a referendum on secession for May 11.

Many hope to follow Crimea's break from Ukraine in March and subsequent annexation by Russia, following the overthrow of Ukraine's Moscow-backed president Viktor Yanukovich in late February in a tug-of-war between the West and Russia over the strategic direction of the former Soviet republic.

The Donbass region is home to giant steel smelters and heavy plants that produce up to a third of Ukraine's industrial output. An armed uprising began there in early April, with Kiev almost powerless to respond for fear of provoking an invasion by tens of thousands of Russian troops massed on the border.

Many Russian-speaking business "oligarchs" from the Donbass backed Yanukovich and exercise great influence over the region.

On Wednesday, the most powerful of these, Ukraine's richest man Rinat Akhmetov issued a formal statement saying he remained committed to his investments in the Donbass and to keeping the region as part of Ukraine.

Oleksander Turchynov, Ukraine's acting president until after an election on May 25, reiterated on Wednesday that police were incapable of reasserting control in the region.

"Our main task is to prevent the terrorist threat from spreading to other regions of Ukraine," he told a meeting of regional governors in Kiev.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/30/russia-ukraine-war-kiev-conflict

It's not Russia that's pushed Ukraine to the brink of war

The threat of war in Ukraine is growing. As the unelected government in Kiev declares itself unable to control the rebellion in the country's east, John Kerry brands Russia a rogue state. The US and the European Union step up sanctions against the Kremlin, accusing it of destabilising Ukraine. The White House is reported to be set on a new cold war policy with the aim of turning Russia into a "pariah state".

That might be more explicable if what is going on in eastern Ukraine now were not the mirror image of what took place in Kiev a couple of months ago. Then, it was armed protesters in Maidan Square seizing government buildings and demanding a change of government and constitution. US and European leaders championed the "masked militants" and denounced the elected government for its crackdown, just as they now back the unelected government's use of force against rebels occupying police stations and town halls in cities such as Slavyansk and Donetsk.

"America is with you," Senator John McCain told demonstrators then, standing shoulder to shoulder with the leader of the far-right Svoboda party as the US ambassador haggled with the state department over who would make up the new Ukrainian government.

When the Ukrainian president was replaced by a US-selected administration, in an entirely unconstitutional takeover, politicians such as William Hague brazenly misled parliament about the legality of what had taken place: the imposition of a pro-western government on Russia's most neuralgic and politically divided neighbour.

Putin bit back, taking a leaf out of the US street-protest playbook – even though, as in Kiev, the protests that spread from Crimea to eastern Ukraine evidently have mass support. But what had been a glorious cry for freedom in Kiev became infiltration and insatiable aggression in Sevastopol and Luhansk.

After Crimeans voted overwhelmingly to join Russia, the bulk of the western media abandoned any hint of even-handed coverage. So Putin is now routinely compared to Hitler, while the role of the fascistic right on the streets and in the new Ukrainian regime has been airbrushed out of most reporting as Putinist propaganda.

So you don't hear much about the Ukrainian government's veneration of wartime Nazi collaborators and pogromists, or the arson attacks on the homes and offices of elected communist leaders, or the integration of the extreme Right Sector into the national guard, while the anti-semitism and white supremacism of the government's ultra-nationalists is assiduously played down, and false identifications of Russian special forces are relayed as fact.

The reality is that, after two decades of eastward Nato expansion, this crisis was triggered by the west's attempt to pull Ukraine decisively into its orbit and defence structure, via an explicitly anti-Moscow EU association agreement. Its rejection led to the Maidan protests and the installation of an anti-Russian administration – rejected by half the country – that went on to sign the EU and International Monetary Fund agreements regardless.

No Russian government could have acquiesced in such a threat from territory that was at the heart of both Russia and the Soviet Union. Putin's absorption of Crimea and support for the rebellion in eastern Ukraine is clearly defensive, and the red line now drawn: the east of Ukraine, at least, is not going to be swallowed up by Nato or the EU.

But the dangers are also multiplying. Ukraine has shown itself to be barely a functioning state: the former government was unable to clear Maidan, and the western-backed regime is "helpless" against the protests in the Soviet-nostalgic industrial east. For all the talk about the paramilitary "green men" (who turn out to be overwhelmingly Ukrainian), the rebellion also has strong social and democratic demands: who would argue against a referendum on autonomy and elected governors?

Meanwhile, the US and its European allies impose sanctions and dictate terms to Russia and its proteges in Kiev, encouraging the military crackdown on protesters after visits from Joe Biden and the CIA director, John Brennan. But by what right is the US involved at all, incorporating under its strategic umbrella a state that has never been a member of Nato, and whose last elected government came to power on a platform of explicit neutrality? It has none, of course – which is why the Ukraine crisis is seen in such a different light across most of the world. There may be few global takers for Putin's oligarchic conservatism and nationalism, but Russia's counterweight to US imperial expansion is welcomed, from China to Brazil.

In fact, one outcome of the crisis is likely to be a closer alliance between China and Russia, as the US continues its anti-Chinese "pivot" to Asia. And despite growing violence, the cost in lives of Russia's arms-length involvement in Ukraine has so far been minimal compared with any significant western intervention you care to think of for decades.

The risk of civil war is nevertheless growing, and with it the chances of outside powers being drawn into the conflict. Barack Obama has already sent token forces to eastern Europe and is under pressure, both from Republicans and Nato hawks such as Poland, to send many more. Both US and British troops are due to take part in Nato military exercises in Ukraine this summer.

The US and EU have already overplayed their hand in Ukraine. Neither Russia nor the western powers may want to intervene directly, and the Ukrainian prime minister's conjuring up of a third world war presumably isn't authorised by his Washington sponsors. But a century after 1914, the risk of unintended consequences should be obvious enough – as the threat of a return of big-power conflict grows. Pressure for a negotiated end to the crisis is essential.

The Russians offered the Ukraine a aid package of $15 billion plus major natural gas discounts. The IMF aid package of $17 billion was expected by Ukraine's interim government. US and EU loans and loan guarantees will enlarge the deal to over $30 billion. The Russian deal may have been larger, but that depended on how much natural gas Ukraine bought from Russia. The IMF EU, and US package included many painful austerity measures. The Russian deal did not have austerity measures. GRU Spetsnaz operatives are in Ukraine, but no one has come forward with any concrete evidence yet. I hope the interim Ukrainian government stops its operations in Eastern Ukraine, and waits for new elections. I hope the people of the Ukraine elect a good leaders in the coming elections. Yanukovych was a crook just like the majority of Ukraine's past leadership.