• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Ukraine

IMF to help Ukraine with up to $18 billion bailout
Associated Press By PETER LEONARD

KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — The world rushed Thursday to help Ukraine, with the International Monetary Fund pledging up to $18 billion in loans, the U.N. condemning the vote that drove Crimea into Russian hands and the U.S. Congress backing even harsher sanctions against Russia.

Yet even with such intensive help to prop up the teetering economy, Ukraine's prime minister warned of painful times ahead from economic reforms that were sure to drive up energy prices.

Meanwhile, Yulia Tymoshenko, one of the country's most divisive figures, announced she would run for president — a move sure to impact Ukraine's turbulent politics.

President Barack Obama called the swell of international support a "concrete signal of how the world is united with Ukraine."

"The decision to go forward with an IMF program is going to require a lot of courage," Obama said, speaking in Rome. "It will require some tough decisions."

In a passionate address to parliament in Kiev, Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk warned that Ukraine was "on the brink of economic and financial bankruptcy" and laid out the fixes needed to put the country back on track.

"The time has come to tell the truth, to do difficult and unpopular things," Yatsenyuk said, adding that Ukraine was short $25.8 billion — "equivalent to the entire state budget for this year."

The IMF loan, which is expected to range between $14 billion and $18 billion, hinges on structural reforms that Ukraine has pledged to undertake.

Ukraine's new government finds itself caught between the demands of international creditors and a restive population that has endured decades of economic stagnation, corruption and mismanagement.

The reforms demanded by the IMF — which include raising taxes, freezing the minimum wage and hiking energy prices — will hit households hard and are likely to strain the interim government's tenuous hold on power.

Ukraine, a nation of 46 million, is battling to install a semblance of normalcy since President Viktor Yanukovych was ousted in February after months of protests ignited by his decision to back away from closer relations with the EU and turn toward Russia. Over the last few weeks, an interim government has formed, Ukraine lost Crimea to Russia and further possible military incursions by Russia are feared.

"This is a kamikaze government that perfectly well understands that there is no other way to stabilize Ukraine," said Viktor Zamyatin, analyst with the Kiev-based Razumkov Center think tank. "The catastrophic state of Ukraine's economy has forced the government's hand."

But he said it could pay a steep price.

"It is hard to explain to the voter that the worsening of the economy has happened not because of the revolution, but because of Viktor Yanukovych's policies," he said.

One unpredictable source of potential unrest comes from the nationalist Right Sector movement, which rallied hundreds of protesters outside parliament on Thursday in a demand for Interior Minister Arsen Avakov's resignation following the killing this week of one of their leaders. The group played a key role in bringing about Yanukovych's ouster.

"The power is trying to rob our victory from us. But it is we that should be dictating terms, and we have the means to do this," declared 31-year-old Anton Turilo, who was wearing a helmet and camouflage gear.

In Washington, Congress overwhelmingly backed legislation in the House and Senate to aid cash-strapped Ukraine and punish Russia for its annexation of Crimea.

On a voice vote, the Senate approved a measure that would provide $1 billion in loan guarantees to Ukraine and give Obama broad authority to impose more sanctions on Russia and President Vladimir Putin's inner circle.

The House endorsed a different version on a 399-19 vote that also provides assistance to Ukraine and penalizes Russia. Lawmakers hope to send a single bill to the White House for Obama's signature by week's end.

Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said the votes were "critical for President Putin to hear."

"We are in a dangerous moment in history with global consequences and the world is watching," he said.

Meanwhile, in a sweeping rebuke of Moscow, the U.N. General Assembly overwhelmingly affirmed Ukraine's territorial integrity and deemed the referendum that led to Russia's annexation of the Crimean Peninsula illegal. The vote was 100 in favor, 11 opposed and 58 abstentions.

Russia shrugged off the ******* of criticism, announcing it would set up its own payment system to rival Visa and MasterCard after the two companies pulled their services from some Russian banks in the wake of international sanctions.

Tymoshenko, who was released from prison last month following the overthrow of her fierce rival Yanukovych, is variously admired as an icon of democracy or detested as a self-promoting manipulator with a shady past.

This will be the 53-year-old Tymoshenko's second attempt to win the presidency. She narrowly lost to Yanukovych in 2010 and spent two years in jail on charges that many in the West considered politically motivated.

"I will be the candidate of Ukrainian unity," Tymoshenko said in announcing she would contest the May 25 election. "The west and center of Ukraine has always voted for me, but I was born in the east."

While western regions of Ukraine favor closer ties to Europe, the eastern part of the politically divided nation has long aligned with neighboring Russia.

Still, the dire state of the economy is an unavoidable issue: Ukraine's Finance Ministry has said it needs $35 billion over the next two years to prevent default.

The IMF said recent economic policies have drastically slowed Ukraine's growth and brought foreign currency reserves to a "critically low level."

"Ukraine's macroeconomic imbalances became unsustainable over the past year," the IMF said.

One immediate reform will be to let gas prices for households float up to become more in line with market prices. Ukraine for years has relied on discounted gas from Russia and then subsidized that further, so that residents are used to extremely low energy prices. Russia has abandoned the discounts and Ukraine's government cannot afford the extra subsidy.

Other donors, including the European Union and Japan, have already pledged further aid to Ukraine, conditional on the IMF bailout and reform package. The total amount of international assistance will be about $27 billion over the next two years.

Separately, the 28-nation EU has prepared a wider aid package including loans and grants for Ukraine expected to total more than $10 billion over the coming years.

Oh I don't disagree with you at all. I was simply answering the question.

I think the bigger point to be made is the realization that the term "international law" is a mythical one to a large degree....especially as it applies to geopolitical or military agreements. Even in other areas (like human rights, tenets of the Geneva Convention, etc) there is little evidence that would support the imposition of international law. The examples are rampant throughout recent as well as distant history, perhaps the most glaring one being the relative figurehead status and ongoing impotency of the United Nations.

At the end of many modern (and not so modern) conflicts, the victors often enjoy the spoils by putting the losing leadership on trial for "war crimes" (there's a fucking oxymoron for you!) under the pretext of imposing the standards of "international law". More often than not, it is simply a convenient rationalization for the elimination of those around whom opposition elements might find a rally point. There are more examples of this throughout history than can be counted.

I believe that, as long as Putin remains relatively unconcerned about his relationship with the West, in particular the United States, he will be free to do pretty much as he pleases as it applies to annexation of many of the former Soviet republics. I don't believe that he will be bold enough (or reckless might be a better word) to violate the sovereignty of any of the NATO members since, in my opinion, a military retaliatory response by the USA and its allies would be inevitable. As it applies to Russian expansion, he has to weigh risk versus benefit at some point and I think (hope?) it ends sooner than later. Hard to tell with Putin. He's a good poker player. Scary situation, very reminiscent of the 1960s.

Here's a very insightful article on the present situation that was written in mid-February, definitely worthy of a quick read:

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2014/02/16/russia-under-attack/

Interesting article in addition to that first Russian state and their church were formed in todays Ukraine actually in Kiev. I think that Russians dont care about conquering or rulling the world or ex USSR countries they already have some sort of Commonwealth with most of the ex USSR states. They dont even care if someone dont wont to be friend with them just as you dont interfere in there state and nation they will be totaly passive. Any way spreading paranoia between humans is the best way to gane power, money etc. "Divide at impera".

there state and nation they will be totaly passive
correction
their state and nation they will be totally passive.

An estimated 50,000 russian troops along with logistical support are amassed along Ukraine's eastern border. Putin says it's just an exercise. I think we should believe him as he's never lied about that in the past.

Do svidaniya Ukraine, you're toast.

An estimated 50,000 russian troops along with logistical support are amassed along Ukraine's eastern border. Putin says they are just doing exercises. I think we should believe him as he's never lied about that in the past.

+

Like all of places with the Russian land mass they have to hold the military exercises there.

Okay Putin :)

An estimated 50,000 russian troops along with logistical support are amassed along Ukraine's eastern border. Putin says it's just an exercise. I think we should believe him as he's never lied about that in the past.

I'm not military strategist, but if you bunch up that many troops in one place...hmmm...if there was only something that could handle them in on shot. Wouldn't be the first time.

tongue planted firmly in cheek.

I'm not military strategist, but if you bunch up that many troops in one place...hmmm...if there was only something that could handle them in on shot. Wouldn't be the first time.

tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Lesson of the day: if offered a deal by Russia and the U.S. to give up your substantial nuclear arsenal in exchange for a guarantee of territorial sovereignty, hold on to your nukes.

Lesson of the day: if offered a deal by Russia and the U.S. to give up your substantial nuclear arsenal in exchange for a guarantee of territorial sovereignty, hold on to your nukes.

No argument. Seems like Cold War 2.0.

Russia vows no Ukraine invasion as diplomacy intensifies
AFP By Stuart Williams

Moscow (AFP) - Russia on Saturday pledged it would not invade mainland Ukraine following its seizure of Crimea, favouring a federal solution for the ex-Soviet state as diplomacy with the West gathered momentum.

Tensions have run high since Moscow's lightning takeover of Crimea from Ukraine, with the United States accusing Russia of massing tens of thousands of troops on Ukraine's eastern border.

But telephone talks between Russian President Vladimir Putin and US counterpart Barack Obama late on Friday and the possibility of a new meeting between the top Russian and American diplomats were the latest signs of progress in the search for a mutual solution in what remains the worst East-West crisis since the Cold War.

Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov suggested Moscow's main demands in the talks were that Ukraine should be made into a federation, commit to not joining NATO and restore order to cities after almost half a year of street protests.

Putin also told Obama that the problems surrounding the breakaway Moldovan region of Transdniestr –- a Russian-speaking region seen by some as the Kremlin’s next target -- should be solved not by force but by talks in the "5+2" format of Moldova, Transdniestr, the OSCE, Russia and Ukraine, with the EU and US as observers.

Ukraine is now at a crossroads after the fall of pro-Kremlin president Viktor Yanukovych in February and the clock ticks down to May 25 presidential elections which are expected to cement Kiev's pro-West course.

With boxing champion turned politician Vitali Klitschko bowing out of the race, the overwhelming favourite to win the polls is pro-European confectionary tycoon Petro Poroshenko, although feisty former premier Yulia Tymoshenko is expected to mount an all-out campaign since declaring her candidacy this week.

-'No intention' to invade-

Lavrov said Moscow has no intention of ordering its armed forces to cross over the Ukrainian border and acknowledged the divisions between Moscow and the West on the crisis are narrowing.

"We have absolutely no intention and no interests in crossing the Ukrainian border," he told Russian state television.

"We (Russia and the West) are getting closer in our positions," he added, saying recent contacts had shown the outlines of a "possible joint initiative which could be presented to our Ukrainian colleagues," he added.

Lavrov made clear Russia's priorities for Ukraine were a federalisation which would allow the interests of everyone in Ukraine -- including Russian speakers in the east and south -- to be fully represented.

He said Ukraine should also commit to being non-aligned -- with Ukrainian NATO membership clearly a red line for Moscow.

"There should be no ambiguity here. There is too much 'not for the time being' and 'we don't intend' (to join NATO). Intentions change, but facts on the ground remain," he said.

He said that the West was now "listening" to Russia's idea of a federalised Ukraine and a federation (for Ukraine) "is far from being a forbidden word in our talks," Lavrov said.

- Lavrov-Kerry meeting -

The United States and European Union clearly want Russia to de-escalate tensions by removing the troops said to be surrounding Ukraine's eastern borders.

The Ukrainian government this week estimated there were now 100,000 Russian soldiers positioned around Ukraine -- a figure neither confirmed nor denied by Moscow.

Putin and Obama had earlier discussed ways to solve the crisis in Ukraine, both the White House and the Kremlin said in separate statements, although neither side gave precise details on the nature of the plan on the table.

However, in a sign both sides feel there is something to discuss, US Secretary of State John Kerry made a last-minute change of plans on Saturday to fly to Paris from Riyadh with the aim of setting up talks with Lavrov.

The Russian foreign ministry said both men spoke by phone on Saturday, adding only that they discussed a "timetable for future contacts."

A foreign ministry source told the ITAR-TASS news agency that the two men would meet "soon" and were in the process of finalising a time and place.

Russia is also feeling economic pressure, with the United States and European Union having already hit Moscow with sanctions against senior officials and markets worried about measures that could hurt the wider economy.

Moody's put Russia's credit rating on review for a possible downgrade on Friday, saying the current crisis "could significantly dampen investor sentiment for several years to come."

- Paving way for Poroshenko -

The race to take on the permanent role of Ukraine president became clearer as Klitschko announced he would not stand in the polls, leaving Poroshenko as the clear favourite in what could still be a tight race.

"We have to nominate a single candidate representing the democratic forces," Klitschko told a congress of his UDAR (Punch) party.

"This has to be a candidate who enjoys the strongest public support. Today, this candidate in my opinion is Petro Poroshenko."

This could give a clear run to confectionary tycoon Poroshenko -- the only prominent Ukrainian businessman to back the protests against Yanukovych -- who has already declared he is standing.

Tymoshenko, who was jailed under Yanukovych, has a lot of ground to make up to catch Poroshenko who leads in opinion polls but analysts see her as a wily campaigner who can make up ground.

The players

images%20%282%29.jpg

Putin- Trying to be less treacherous from Hitler

images%20%281%29.jpg

Obama - Speak loud and carry a small stick to avoid WWIII

images.jpg

Tymoshenko- Putin's secret squeeze when in Ukraine

download.jpg

Putin's way young Russian squeeze

download%20%281%29.jpg

Kerry - Trying to prove to W Bush that he is a player in a international crisis

images%20%283%29.jpg

McCain - The biggest lets use military force for everything HAWK

Ukraine did not have the money to maintain their nuclear weapons. Ukraine's military is a mess, 75% of Ukrainian servicemembers serving in Crimea defected to the Russia military.

I'll bet a night of cocktails that Putin is playing a pretty good hand here. He is going to tell Obama, "You're right. We aren't an invader. We came to the defense of Russians in Crimea and are only fulfilling their wishes." He plan was to take Crimea. Obama will sell it as, "Hey, I stopped them from going further." Putin smiles and that was his plan from day 1 and all is forgiven.

I could be wrong, but I'll put up my side of the wager.

Outside of Teddy Roosevelt and Jed Barlett, I'm not sure who would do a better job at handling this. However, it does appear to me that Obama is completely out of his league and isn't capable of deeper thought than reacting.

I'll bet a night of cocktails that Putin is playing a pretty good hand here. He is going to tell Obama, "You're right. We aren't an invader. We came to the defense of Russians in Crimea and are only fulfilling their wishes." He plan was to take Crimea. Obama will sell it as, "Hey, I stopped them from going further." Putin smiles and that was his plan from day 1 and all is forgiven.

I could be wrong, but I'll put up my side of the wager.

Outside of Teddy Roosevelt and Jed Barlett, I'm not sure who would do a better job at handling this. However, it does appear to me that Obama is completely out of his league and isn't capable of deeper thought than reacting.

If that is the case, then Putin is not done dealing and will wait until he claims again he coming to rescue of Russians in eastern Ukraine.

Putin playing the energy stick squeeze on Ukraine.

Today was day three of spike in price increases and as of today they are paying 80% above the normal market price.

Putin is waging a economic war, not a military to get what he wants.

Ukraine eyes arbitration if Russia doesn't cut gas price

Reuters
By Pavel Polityuk and Thomas Grove

KIEV (Reuters) - Ukraine warned on Saturday it would take Russia to an arbitration court if talks with Moscow failed to roll back hikes in the price of natural gas that Kiev called an act of economic aggression.

Russia nearly doubled the price Ukraine pays for its gas this week, forcing Kiev, whose economy is in chaos, to enter into emergency talks with European neighbors to boost cheaper imports from the West.

Ukraine accuses Russia of using the price hikes as a tool of

economic pressure after popular protests in Kiev ousted pro-Russian president Viktor Yanukovich in February, souring relations between the two former Soviet republics.

Russia seized Ukraine's Crimea region and formally annexed it last month widening the dispute into the biggest stand-off between Russia and the West since the end of the Cold War.

"Our Russian neighbors have carried out yet another form of aggression against Ukraine - aggression through its gas supplies. This price is the highest on European territory and it is not an economic but a political price," said Prime Minister Arseny Yatseniuk at a cabinet meeting.

Ukraine is still in talks with Russia to cut the gas price, which Moscow raised to $485 per 1,000 cubic meters from a previously discounted price of $268.50, making it now by far the highest price paid in Europe for Russian gas.

The Russian gas export monopoly Gazprom says that on average it charges its European customers between $370 and $380 per 1,000 cubic meters.

Ukraine imports more than half its gas needs from Russia.

"If we don't come to an agreement (with Russia) then there is a procedure laid out in our contract, going to the arbitration court in Stockholm," Ukrainian Energy Minister Yuri Prodan told journalists before a cabinet meeting.

"We are not trying to break our contract but to set up a fair price like in Europe," he said.

Alexei Miller, Gazprom's chief executive officer, said in a Rossiya 24 television interview recorded on Friday and aired on Saturday that Ukraine had accepted the new price.

"The gas price included in Ukraine's budget is the price that is already at work today, $485, and this confirms one more time that Ukraine recognizes it as a market (price), recognizes the current agreement and is ready to pay that price for our gas," Miller said.

According to a 2009 contract, the price is calculated on the basis of several fuel product prices and Yatseniuk said there were no economic grounds to increase prices for gas.

In raising the price, Russia scrapped two discounts. One was introduced in 2010 when Ukraine agreed to extend terms for Russia's Black Sea Fleet in Crimea until 2042 and the second was agreed in December after Yanukovich scrapped a trade deal with the EU in favor of closer ties to Russia.

Miller said that the discounts have disappeared "all strictly according to the contract" because Kiev has not paid for deliveries. He said the unpaid bill rose to $2.2 billion as of the end of March from $1.4 billion in December.

"They (Ukraine) fully understand why this discount has disappeared, they fully understand that the cancellation of the discount is Ukraine's fault," Miller said, adding: "We cannot supply gas for free."

Armed men seize eastern Ukraine police station
51 minutes ago

SLOVYANSK, Ukraine (AP) — Several dozen armed men seized a police station in a small town in eastern Ukraine on Saturday morning and hoisted the Russian flag above the building as tensions in the country's Russian-speaking regions intensify.

The town of Slovyansk is about 90 kilometers (55 miles) south of the regional center, Donetsk, where pro-Russian protesters have occupied a government building for nearly a week.

About 20 men in balaclavas armed with automatic rifles and pistols were guarding the entrance to the police station, and another 20 were believed to be inside. They wore St. George's ribbons, a symbol of the Soviet Union's victory in WWII, which has become a symbol of pro-Russian protesters in eastern Ukraine.

Eastern Ukraine, which has a large Russian-speaking population, has seen waves of protests since Kremlin-friendly president Viktor Yanukovych was ousted in late February. The protesters allege that the authorities who took over are nationalists and "fascists" who aim to suppress the ethnic Russians in Ukraine.

The predominantly ethnic Russian region of Crimea voted in a referendum last month to split off from Ukraine and was subsequently annexed by Russia in moves that West has denounced as illegitimate.

A masked attacker in Slovyansk, who gave his name only as Sergei, told The Associated Press they have "only one demand — a referendum and joining Russia."

The man said they seized the building because they wanted to protect it from radical nationalists from western Ukraine and "the junta who seized power in Kiev."

"We don't want to be slaves of America and the West," he said. "We want to live with Russia."

Interior Minister Arsen Avakov pledged a "very tough response" to the seizure while local media reported special forces dispatched to the area.

Local sympathizers brought tires to the police station to start building barricades.

Gunshots rang out in a video from the scene after an armed man shouted to a cameraman to stop recording. No casualties were immediately reported.

The Kiev authorities and the United States have accused Russia of fomenting the unrest in the east and seeking to use it as a pretext for sending in troops. Russia has massed forces in areas near the Ukrainian border.

But mayor Nelya Shtepa told the AP that she held talks with the protesters and said they were local residents, not Russians.

"They told me: we don't have anything against you," she said, adding that the men said they "want to be heard, want a dialogue with authorities in Kiev."

Protesters who have held the administration building in Donetsk since Sunday initially called for a referendum on secession but later reduced the demand to a vote on autonomy within Ukraine with the possibility of holding another later on whether to join Russia.

Russia's Foreign Ministry on Friday warned the Ukrainian government against using force against protesters, saying that such action would derail the talks on settling the crisis between the United States, the European Union, Russia and Ukraine set for next week, as well as any other diplomatic efforts. It lashed out at the U.S. warning to slap more sanctions on Russia in case of an escalation of the conflict, saying that "an escalation is only and exclusively possible if Kiev dares to do so, relying on massive support of the U.S. and the EU."

Philbert

Banned
Armed men seize eastern Ukraine police station
51 minutes ago

SLOVYANSK, Ukraine (AP) — Several dozen armed men seized sksjkfhgh jgkgk ljfoieoe mnbmbf mkurk opkokg; jfim ur hgt djii kkksoosososo pjij jokk , skfdjrrji kijis gtart rth kskojkg ..............of the US and EU."

:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Ukraine: Special forces sent to eastern city
AP By Peter Leonard

SLOVYANSK, Ukraine (AP) — Ukrainian special forces have been sent to an eastern city where armed pro-Russia men seized a police headquarters and the Security Service office a day earlier, the interior minister said Sunday.

The unrest in Slovyansk and the nearby major industrial city Donetsk were the latest shows of spiraling anger in eastern Ukraine, which has a large Russian-speaking population and was also the support base for Viktor Yanukovych, the Ukrainian president ousted in February following months of protests in Kiev, the capital. Ethnic Russians in Ukraine's east widely fear that the new pro-Western Ukrainian government will suppress them.

Arsen Avakov wrote on his Facebook page that the men who seized the buildings in Slovyansk had opened fire on the approaching troops and described the unrest as "Russian aggression." Avakov called on local residents to remain calm and stay at home.

An Associated Press reporter saw no signs of any shots fired at the police station which was surrounded by a reinforced line of barricades. Unlike on Saturday, the men patrolling the barricades were largely unarmed. One of the guards who asked not to be identified denied reports of fighting at the police station.

Armed camouflaged men were guarding a checkpoint at the main entrance into the city, not allowing anyone to enter. The claims of gunfire inside Slovyansk couldn't be immediately verified, and.

In a phone call with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry "expressed strong concern" that the attacks "were orchestrated and synchronized, similar to previous attacks in eastern Ukraine and Crimea," according the State Department. Kerry "made clear that if Russia didn't take steps to de-escalate in eastern Ukraine and move its troops back from Ukraine's border, there would be additional consequences," the department said.

The Russian Foreign Ministry debunked Kerry's claims while Lavrov blamed the crisis in Ukraine on the failure of the Ukrainian government "to take into account the legitimate needs and interests of the Russian and Russian-speaking population," the ministry said. Lavrov also warned that Russia may pull out of next week's Ukraine summit if Kiev uses force against "residents of the southeast who were driven to despair."

Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt, who is in Ukraine this weekend, condemned the unrest in a Twitter post as "a coordinated armed action to seize control over key parts of Eastern Ukraine" which "would not have happened without Russia."

In Slovyansk, the mayor said Saturday the men who seized the police station were demanding a referendum on autonomy and possible annexation by Russia. Protesters in other eastern cities have made similar demands after a referendum in Crimea last month in which voters opted to split off from Ukraine, leading to annexation by Russia.

The interior minister overnight reported an attack on a police in the nearby city of Kramatorsk. A video from local news web-site Kramatorsk.info showed a group of camouflaged men armed with automatic weapons storming the building. The news web-site also reported that supporters of the separatist Donetsk People's Republic have occupied the administration building, built a barricade with tires around it and put a Russian flag nearby.

Regional news website OstroV said three key administrative buildings have been seized in another city in the area, Enakiyeve.

In the regional capital Donetsk on Saturday, witnesses said the men who entered the police building were wearing the uniforms of the Berkut, the feared riot police squad that was disbanded in February after Yanukovych's ouster. Berkut officers' violent dispersal of a demonstration in Kiev in November set off the mass protests that culminated in bloodshed in February when more than 100 people died in sniper fire. The acting government says the snipers were police.

It wasn't immediately clear if the men who occupied the Donetsk police building had made any demands, but the Donetsk police chief said on national television that he was forced to offer his resignation.

Nataliya Vasilyeva in Kiev and Lynn Berry in Moscow contributed to this report.

- - - Updated - - -

Ukraine: Special forces sent to eastern city
AP By Peter Leonard

SLOVYANSK, Ukraine (AP) — Ukrainian special forces have been sent to an eastern city where armed pro-Russia men seized a police headquarters and the Security Service office a day earlier, the interior minister said Sunday.

The unrest in Slovyansk and the nearby major industrial city Donetsk were the latest shows of spiraling anger in eastern Ukraine, which has a large Russian-speaking population and was also the support base for Viktor Yanukovych, the Ukrainian president ousted in February following months of protests in Kiev, the capital. Ethnic Russians in Ukraine's east widely fear that the new pro-Western Ukrainian government will suppress them.

Arsen Avakov wrote on his Facebook page that the men who seized the buildings in Slovyansk had opened fire on the approaching troops and described the unrest as "Russian aggression." Avakov called on local residents to remain calm and stay at home.

An Associated Press reporter saw no signs of any shots fired at the police station which was surrounded by a reinforced line of barricades. Unlike on Saturday, the men patrolling the barricades were largely unarmed. One of the guards who asked not to be identified denied reports of fighting at the police station.

Armed camouflaged men were guarding a checkpoint at the main entrance into the city, not allowing anyone to enter. The claims of gunfire inside Slovyansk couldn't be immediately verified, and.

In a phone call with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry "expressed strong concern" that the attacks "were orchestrated and synchronized, similar to previous attacks in eastern Ukraine and Crimea," according the State Department. Kerry "made clear that if Russia didn't take steps to de-escalate in eastern Ukraine and move its troops back from Ukraine's border, there would be additional consequences," the department said.

The Russian Foreign Ministry debunked Kerry's claims while Lavrov blamed the crisis in Ukraine on the failure of the Ukrainian government "to take into account the legitimate needs and interests of the Russian and Russian-speaking population," the ministry said. Lavrov also warned that Russia may pull out of next week's Ukraine summit if Kiev uses force against "residents of the southeast who were driven to despair."

Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt, who is in Ukraine this weekend, condemned the unrest in a Twitter post as "a coordinated armed action to seize control over key parts of Eastern Ukraine" which "would not have happened without Russia."

In Slovyansk, the mayor said Saturday the men who seized the police station were demanding a referendum on autonomy and possible annexation by Russia. Protesters in other eastern cities have made similar demands after a referendum in Crimea last month in which voters opted to split off from Ukraine, leading to annexation by Russia.

The interior minister overnight reported an attack on a police in the nearby city of Kramatorsk. A video from local news web-site Kramatorsk.info showed a group of camouflaged men armed with automatic weapons storming the building. The news web-site also reported that supporters of the separatist Donetsk People's Republic have occupied the administration building, built a barricade with tires around it and put a Russian flag nearby.

Regional news website OstroV said three key administrative buildings have been seized in another city in the area, Enakiyeve.

In the regional capital Donetsk on Saturday, witnesses said the men who entered the police building were wearing the uniforms of the Berkut, the feared riot police squad that was disbanded in February after Yanukovych's ouster. Berkut officers' violent dispersal of a demonstration in Kiev in November set off the mass protests that culminated in bloodshed in February when more than 100 people died in sniper fire. The acting government says the snipers were police.

It wasn't immediately clear if the men who occupied the Donetsk police building had made any demands, but the Donetsk police chief said on national television that he was forced to offer his resignation.

Nataliya Vasilyeva in Kiev and Lynn Berry in Moscow contributed to this report.

Philbert

Banned
Typical non-response from Failbert Philbitch. I used to think you were smarter than Sam Fisher and Will E. Worm, but really, you're more like their dumber bastard child.

Why am I not surprised you find MustBeStupid interesting, knowledgeable, and just ever so smart?
Do you have software to translate his posts into comprehensible statements, or are you just on his level and it's easy?

You are degenerating again, I feel another "you live under a bridge and eat birds" post is just moments away.
:confusedcow:
:rofl: