• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Sports Teams That Should Just Go Away

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
To add to the original point of this thread, I would absolutely love it if the Calgary Flames folded or moved to Kansas City or something. I hate them so much. The Oilers can stay in Edmonton if they want, but the Flames have to go.

Bigger fan base.Sorry but the LA Kings thing is just my perspective.The NHL in general isn't doing as good as it should,and with a team like the Kings,I just don't see that one marquee player that they can showcase like a Crosby or Ovechkin,but I guess truth be told,not many teams do have players like that anyway.Again,just my perspective,but the Kings are the 3rd most popular team in CA in the 2nd largest city in the US.Something doesn't seem right about that.

I get where you are coming from, and if the team didn't do so good this year I would probably agree with you. Anaheim won a Cup and San Jose has been one of the best teams in the league for years, but out of every team in California, it's the Kings that have the brightest future. Drew Doughty isn't going to be an Ovechkin, but he's going to be one of the best players in the league really soon. The team is going to be a contender in the next couple of years, so don't pull the plug just yet. :2 cents:

To add to the original point of this thread, I would absolutely love it if the Calgary Flames folded or moved to Kansas City or something. I hate them so much. The Oilers can stay in Edmonton if they want, but the Flames have to go.

I get where you are coming from, and if the team didn't do so good this year I would probably agree with you. Anaheim won a Cup and San Jose has been one of the best teams in the league for years, but out of every team in California, it's the Kings that have the brightest future. Drew Doughty isn't going to be an Ovechkin, but he's going to be one of the best players in the league really soon. The team is going to be a contender in the next couple of years, so don't pull the plug just yet. :2 cents:

Gotcha.

Vlad The Impaler

Power Slave
Let me start by saying I am a New York Yankee fan. I agree 100 percent there should be a salary cap. But equally important, there should also be a salary bottom. And there shouldn't be a huge gap between the two.

Worse than spending too much money, are these cheapskate owners who won't spend any. Those are the assholes that everyone should be hating on.
new_york_yankees_logo-12559.jpg

PlasmaTwa2

^ That reminds me of another team that should just be wiped from the history books: The Los Angeles Clippers. The entire franchise is a blueprint on how not to run a professional sports team.

Vlad The Impaler

Power Slave
^ That reminds me of another team that should just be wiped from the history books: The Los Angeles Clippers. The entire franchise is a blueprint on how not to run a professional sports team.

Yeah, talk about the red headed step child. The Clippers got no chance.

Let me start by saying I am a New York Yankee fan. I agree 100 percent there should be a salary cap. But equally important, there should also be a salary bottom. And there shouldn't be a huge gap between the two.

Worse than spending too much money, are these cheapskate owners who won't spend any. Those are the assholes that everyone should be hating on.

This man is a genius. One of the biggest reasons for lousy franchises are lousy owners. Some are just downright cheap, and others are just stupid. When I saw this thread I had thought about commenting on BSS's picks as to which should go away and then I thought, no...ownership should be held accountable for such debacles in every major sport. Players and coaches are fired or released every season for ineptitude, why can't some sort of measure be held for ownership. A salary bottom would take care of the cheapskates. Other measures could be in place for the stupid ones. Just my :2 cents:.

Don't forget that in addition to having a salary cap and salary floor the league also needs very extensive and near complete revenue sharing and to base the cap numbers on what each team brings in.

The reason why the NFL has overtaken baseball as the biggest sport has a lot to do with the NFL implementing those things like that. (Although with the new labor dispute they might through that away.)

Why get rid of the Marlins? They consistently win and have 2 titles. They do so much with so little. Like the Mets, but the exact opposite. How about getting rid of the Rays and moving the Marlins to Tampa.

How much do the Yankees have to alocate to the rest of the league every year?

I swear on Mike and Mike one day they said that like the bottom I think 10 or so teams in the MLB are being given money that is supposed to be toward their payroll but they just pocket it. This is true but I don't feel like digging right now. Google it.

PlasmaTwa2

I swear on Mike and Mike one day they said that like the bottom I think 10 or so teams in the MLB are being given money that is supposed to be toward their payroll but they just pocket it. This is true but I don't feel like digging right now. Google it.

If the Blue Jays are on that list I wouldn't be surprised. The fucking owners are more interested in bringing the Bills to Toronto than trying to rebuild the Jays.

If the Blue Jays are on that list I wouldn't be surprised. The fucking owners are more interested in bringing the Bills to Toronto than trying to rebuild the Jays.

They're going to do something about, as far as the expert on the panel that morning said. Or at least they implied the owners/organizations that don't take steps toward improvement should be dealt with.

Vlad The Impaler

Power Slave

The Yankees pay the most. I don't know how much. But this is what I'm talking about, these fucking owners that just pocket the frigging money. I can't believe the league just lets this happen. The Steinbrenner's aren't even the richest owners in the league. Personal wealth wise. Because they put most of the money they make back into the team.

PlasmaTwa2

Don't even get me started on owners. I would kill for MLSE (the company that owns the Maple Leafs, Raptors and Toronto FC) to actually give a shit about their teams (Well, not the Leafs). I don't understand why someone would want to own a team and not put the money in and make them a winner. Sure, you make money off of the team (usually) whether or not they are doing terrible or not, but you can make so much more if your team is a winner. I would love for MLSE to actually put some effort into owning the Raptors and make a serious attempt at building a champion-calibre team, but they are never going to do that. They don't put the effort into running the team and then when they don't make money off of it they have the nerve to ask why not. You have the fucking money to put a winning team on the court, and considering you will make millions more if you do, I honestly have no idea why you wouldn't want to. Especially with the Raptors. You have an entire fucking country. You have one of the largest markets in North America. So fucking do it already.

The same thing applies to Rogers and the Blue Jays. Put a quality team on the field and it could be 1992-93 all over again.

Vlad The Impaler

Power Slave
Don't even get me started on owners. I would kill for MLSE (the company that owns the Maple Leafs, Raptors and Toronto FC) to actually give a shit about their teams (Well, not the Leafs). I don't understand why someone would want to own a team and not put the money in and make them a winner. Sure, you make money off of the team (usually) whether or not they are doing terrible or not, but you can make so much more if your team is a winner. I would love for MLSE to actually put some effort into owning the Raptors and make a serious attempt at building a champion-calibre team, but they are never going to do that. They don't put the effort into running the team and then when they don't make money off of it they have the nerve to ask why not. You have the fucking money to put a winning team on the court, and considering you will make millions more if you do, I honestly have no idea why you wouldn't want to. Especially with the Raptors. You have an entire fucking country. You have one of the largest markets in North America. So fucking do it already.

The same thing applies to Rogers and the Blue Jays. Put a quality team on the field and it could be 1992-93 all over again.

Ex-fuckin-actly. I do not understand. Is it incompetence or just fuckin lazy?

You are correct. Under MLB's current CBA, all teams pay 31 percent or their revenue into a pot which is then evenly split among all the teams. In addition to this, a huge chunk of MLB's Central Fund, the revenue from the national TV contracts such as the ones with FOX and ESPN, is disproportionately passed out to teams based on their revenues, so teams like the Pirates or Marlins get the most out of this.

But what is happening is that some teams are gaming the system by simply pocketing the money they receive from the revenue sharing system to enhance profits instead of using it to improve the team by acquiring on the field talent. I remember reading that one year the Marlins received around 70 million or so in revenue sharing yet they still had an opening day payroll of around 40 million.

What I think should be done is that MLB should be checking these teams that just pocket the money. MLB should force these teams to actually spend the money on improving their ball clubs by forcing them to spend say 40-50% of the money they receive from the revenue sharing system or force them to spend all of the money received from the system.

I knew I heard it.

The Twins had the lowest payroll of all post season teams last year. They were I think in the 70mill range which was around the middle of the league. I love the Twins because of shit like this. They actually have a scouting and front office system that does their jobs and doesn't just buy a team. They develop players and we make our teams champions because of this. Because of the new stadium we are at around 100mill this year but a damn fine team indeed. I fully expect this Twins team to win the division and get past the first round of the post season this year. There is talk we might get Cliff Lee. I swear to Christ they are one ace away from being the best team in the league. Expect them to sign a piece somewhere down the road and run at the penant. Other teams need to shape up.

PlasmaTwa2

^ Strange to think that a decade ago they were talking about getting rid of the Twins.

They were. A lot of that saber rattling was due the stadium demands. I've seen the Homer dome at times in the past with a consistent 14K attendance record. They've had their issues. But if you see the Wild have sold out every game since first drop I see the Target Stadium packed for many years now.

PlasmaTwa2

Makes me wonder what could have been if the Expos had gotten their new stadium.... Awe damn, I just got depressed.