• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

RJS13 Foodie Thread

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
You can always go to the "Red Label". Or, put an exclamation point on a big old, "get bent, I work hard, I deserve a treat", and buy a bottle of "Blue Label", and drink it REAL slow in front of her. Or, go to Dewers. For me, it wouldn't matter. For some reason, I just can't seem to tell the difference between good scotch, and cheap scotch....never could. I'm good with bourbon.

I was reading up on cheap-o whiskies last night, Old Crow and Mellow Corn look like they're worth a few shots.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/10-best-affordable-american-whiskies-4154021

there are some great canned meats canning meat is becoming trendy which is a bittersweet thing as popularity tends to over-saturate a good thing. I too loved the smoked oysters in a tin however if you even try to compare a fresh sardine or anchovy to one from a can you lose all credibility.
One of the best meals of my life was at Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal which included their famous "Duck in a can" dish. they put 1/2 of a boned duck in a can with balsamic vinegar and cabbage then cook in water for 27 minutes and open it at your table. Au Pied de Cochon ranks top 20 restaurants in the world so it's not some shit diner in bumb fuck USA. Its probably their most popular dish and it is outstanding.

But veggies from a can? No fucking way.

au-pied-de-cochon.jpg

6335894879_dee2930fd2_b.jpg

Alright, so the other day I dug up this thread (a former food related content some of you may recall), and I have been craving hardcore Petra's shitty tuna dish. That dressing shit looks good.

Totally making it. She mentioned you could use salmon, which i've done with the canned stuff like you got. It's basically cat food, but I like cat food.

tuna_patties.jpg

Look amazing. I've never had them made with tuna so I'm sitting here trying to taste it using my imagination. At first I thought using tuna would be a bit briney? But just like salmon figured the bread crumbs/cracker with spices would level it out. I'll be trying this ;)

*Edited to add--> That salad look on point too :drool2:

Here's the problem I have had with canned salmon, it has those bones ground into the mix. Am I buying the wrong brand?

Not that I've seen, any canned salmon I've ever bought always had bones. BUT, the way the fish is pre-cooked and heat packed softens the bones so you hardly can tell. They don't bother me at all. Buck up and enjoy the calcium blast mangs ;)

there are some great canned meats canning meat is becoming trendy which is a bittersweet thing as popularity tends to over-saturate a good thing. I too loved the smoked oysters in a tin however if you even try to compare a fresh sardine or anchovy to one from a can you lose all credibility.
One of the best meals of my life was at Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal which included their famous "Duck in a can" dish. they put 1/2 of a boned duck in a can with balsamic vinegar and cabbage then cook in water for 27 minutes and open it at your table. Au Pied de Cochon ranks top 20 restaurants in the world so it's not some shit diner in bumb fuck USA. Its probably their most popular dish and it is outstanding.

But veggies from a can? No fucking way.

View attachment 647220

View attachment 647221

I'd defo try it but @$30 a can it most likely won't be in this lifetime. Not that I couldn't afford but refuse to afford. I'd take the entire family to bumb fuck diner first. *kisses*

IMG_20180712_215623.jpg

I can get duck breast cheaper at my grocery store when it's in season! Daggone 30 bucks!?!?!? That's a hell of a price lol

I can get duck breast cheaper at my grocery store when it's in season! Daggone 30 bucks!?!?!? That's a hell of a price lol

Right, but now were getting back to the convenience factor of canned vs fresh. Fresh is better but with a busy schedule ain't nobody got time for all that. Like my corned beef in a can for casserole, I don't have time to roast a beef brisket for 13hrs for just a ingredient in something. I totally WISH I had that kinda time, I really do.

xfire

Right, but now were getting back to the convenience factor of canned vs fresh. Fresh is better but with a busy schedule ain't nobody got time for all that. Like my corned beef in a can for casserole, I don't have time to roast a beef brisket for 13hrs for just a ingredient in something. I totally WISH I had that kinda time, I really do.

If you're doing one of those packaged corned beef briskets do it in the crockpot, I make a Reuben casserole with those, cook the corned beef, shred it, layer it with Bavarian style sauerkraut and baby Swiss, heat it till the cheese melts. Knock your socks off.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to

I get it. It's not expenses, it's time. Time of preparation and cooking for recopies does not include the shopping time to find all of those better/best ingredients. And I'm sure that you can replicate those signature dishes from swanky/trendy restaurants. Those regional half way around the world food can be on our tables every day of the week. FIND that particular spice. FIND that vessel it's cooked in. BUILD the right kind of fire to make it authentic. Spend $200-300 to make a $60 plate you can sit down and have someone in a restaurant cook and wash the dishes? That's our choices.

Go to someplace like Croatia and ask them to BBQ a brisket. It's just like having us making tandoor chicken. Where do you get a tandoor grill? I could go on with my rant but I regress.

RJS, you are feeding a family with what you've got from where you can get it from. That's the way my dad taught me how to cook. That's the way Croatians cook. Respect and admiration to you. You throw shit into a pot and feed people.

I get it. It's not expenses, it's time. Time of preparation and cooking for recopies does not include the shopping time to find all of those better/best ingredients. And I'm sure that you can replicate those signature dishes from swanky/trendy restaurants. Those regional half way around the world food can be on our tables every day of the week. FIND that particular spice. FIND that vessel it's cooked in. BUILD the right kind of fire to make it authentic. Spend $200-300 to make a $60 plate you can sit down and have someone in a restaurant cook and wash the dishes? That's our choices.

Go to someplace like Croatia and ask them to BBQ a brisket. It's just like having us making tandoor chicken. Where do you get a tandoor grill? I could go on with my rant but I regress.

RJS, you are feeding a family with what you've got from where you can get it from. That's the way my dad taught me how to cook. That's the way Croatians cook. Respect and admiration to you. You throw shit into a pot and feed people.
^^^Yahtzee!!!

Have some rep ;)

That isn't just duck breast. Its confit which is duck encased in its fat and is far different. Can't compare the two.

No. The grocery store I go to have a lot of local suppliers with produce, meats and milk. So it's the real deal. That's why duck only comes out once a year.

Hey RJ! Your foodie thread is really starting to hit its stride. Give us a tour of the Kellogg’s plant and try some fresh Apple Jacks.You should think about making some videos of your travels to Traverse City or Ypsilanti or run over to Detroit and get some of that Detroit Style Pizza. You can film from the neck down or maybe you could wear an Obama mask or something. Maybe grab a few dogs at a Tigers game.

It’s time this thread goes to the next level. It’s a fun one.

Hey RJ! Your foodie thread is really starting to hit its stride. Give us a tour of the Kellogg’s plant and try some fresh Apple Jacks.You should think about making some videos of your travels to Traverse City or Ypsilanti or run over to Detroit and get some of that Detroit Style Pizza. You can film from the neck down or maybe you could wear an Obama mask or something. Maybe grab a few dogs at a Tigers game.

It’s time this thread goes to the next level. It’s a fun one.
Nah, I would never promote Kelloggs products, they don't need my help making money hand over fist. And the Tigers can suck big booty hole. Not a baseball fan at all and I'd NEVER spend $5 for a hotdog and $6 for a 12oz beer. For the price they want for tickets dogs and beer should be free- all you can eat. BUT, the next time I'm at a Lions game I might have time for a quick video review ;) The Detroit pizza thingy isn't a bad idea. Thinking about the food in Greek Town has got me all drooling :drool2:

dancing-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
Bought a bottle of Old Crow and a bottle of Evan Williams. So far the Old Crow is winning me over, next week it'll be Fighting Cock and Old Granddad, looks like I'm done with Scotch, at least for a while.

I have never heard of Evan Williams, or Fighting Cock. For me, if I can't have a good bourbon, I'll drink Canadian Club. I don't mean to sound uppity, but since it's my favorite, I want the best I can afford, and will drink it on Fri., or Sat. only. So, I hit the state store and get a half gal. of C.C., and a liter of Woodford Reserve. You know what C.C. is, to me, Woodford is an exceptional mid priced, 90 proof Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey....about $36 a liter. On special occasions I will buy either Rabbit Hole, or Calumet Farms...both about $55 a fifth. I only mix with water, or drink straight, so taste is still important. If it were me, I would go with Old Granddad, Wild Turkey, or George Dickle. I don't know how you drink your whiskey, but those would be what I would go with, for an everyday brand, if bourbon was my everyday whiskey.

xfire

I have never heard of Evan Williams, or Fighting Cock. For me, if I can't have a good bourbon, I'll drink Canadian Club. I don't mean to sound uppity, but since it's my favorite, I want the best I can afford, and will drink it on Fri., or Sat. only. So, I hit the state store and get a half gal. of C.C., and a liter of Woodford Reserve. You know what C.C. is, to me, Woodford is an exceptional mid priced, 90 proof Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey....about $36 a liter. On special occasions I will buy either Rabbit Hole, or Calumet Farms...both about $55 a fifth. I only mix with water, or drink straight, so taste is still important. If it were me, I would go with Old Granddad, Wild Turkey, or George Dickle. I don't know how you drink your whiskey, but those would be what I would go with, for an everyday brand, if bourbon was my everyday whiskey.

Old Crow is basically three year old Jim Beam, I've gotten quite a bourbon education over the last few days. I compare my bottle of 12 year old Johnnie Walker to both Evan Willams and Old Crow and can't really tell much difference. Woodford Reserve is made by the same company that produces Old Forester, you should buy a bottle and compare the two, Old Forester is also on my list of cheap bourbons to try, since this is RJ's foodie thread I figure low-brow would be appropriate, right there with OE 40's and Thunderbird :D . I drink whiskey straight, sometimes on the rocks, I'm not much of a mixer.

Old Crow is basically three year old Jim Beam, I've gotten quite a bourbon education over the last few days. I compare my bottle of 12 year old Johnnie Walker to both Evan Willams and Old Crow and can't really tell much difference. Woodford Reserve is made by the same company that produces Old Forester, you should buy a bottle and compare the two, Old Forester is also on my list of cheap bourbons to try, since this is RJ's foodie thread I figure low-brow would be appropriate, right there with OE 40's and Thunderbird :D . I drink whiskey straight, sometimes on the rocks, I'm not much of a mixer.
This is the right thread to talk about booze mangs, cheap, pricey, young or old. I don't discriminate if someone is on a budget and can't afford the more expensive. In fact, I would prefer the cost effective, life hacks, tips and recommendations. The majority of folks don't go out of their way to have escargot and 200yr old aged wine.

Evan Williams ain't bad at all. Put on blinders and you would think you were drinking Jack Daniels. ;)

my fave whiskey is Canadian Mist. It smooth at room temp, chilled or even warm if accidentally left in the car when brought in the groceries. And for %5.35 a pint cannot go wrong :hatsoff: