• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

NHL '11/'12 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
2011/2012 NHL Thread

I guess the puck drops tonight to open the season. I'm a long-suffering Blues fan so not sure how much smack I'll be talking here but I love hockey so here goes another season. Who is your opening favorite to win the Cup this season?

Re: 2011/2012 NHL Thread

Go Blackhawks!

Like many of the analysts, id love and can see Chicago and Pittsburgh in the finals.

Ahhhhh. Hockey is back. <3

What do we know so far?

Toronto is on pace for 82 wins and Reimer is the run away winner for the Vezina.

Jon S.

Banned
Nothing better than a little extra hockey in the 1st game of the season. It looked like my Pens might skate away with a fairly easy win initially, but the Canucks gave us a game of it. Gotta love the way it ended though......with Geno beating Luongo like a rented mule......he was down and out, and Malkin gently lifted it up and over...and into the net. Good to start the season with a win.....the big question still is when Sid is going to return?

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
Anyone else wonder what lengths the Penguins will go through to protect Crosby when he comes back? He is going to shy away from all contact and a team like the Flyers aren't going to shy away from hitting him just because he is the league player. It takes just another big check before he enters the "could have been one of the best" discussion alongside Lindros.

Marlo Manson

Hello Sexy girl how your Toes doing?
Anyone else wonder what lengths the Penguins will go through to protect Crosby when he comes back? He is going to shy away from all contact and a team like the Flyers aren't going to shy away from hitting him just because he is the league player. It takes just another big check before he enters the "could have been one of the best" discussion alongside Lindros.

Indeed.. That's exactly what I've been saying the whole time he's been out, when he does decide to comeback, he gonna be timid and hesitant to go into the corners or in front of the net where he would get clocked for sure, I seriously doubt he plays as aggressive as he used to PRE concussion, I just don't see it, its all a mind game from now on everytime he steps onto the ice. :uohs:

On top of all that, no teams are gonna take it easy on baby sid... every team with half a brain, are gonna be trying to hit crysby as hard as they can everytime he's on the ice (legally of course) but I'll tell what, I'd hate too be the next player that's gonna get disciplinary action/judgment against them if they deliver a dirty or illegal hit against baby sid, that is when & if baby sid every comes back.
:2 cents::dunno:

Predictions (one day late):

Western Conference:

1. Los Angeles Kings (Pacific Division winner)
2. Vancouver Canucks (Northwest Division winner)
3. Nashville Predators (Central Division winner)
4. San Jose Sharks
5. Detroit Red Wings
6. Chicago Blackhawks
7. Anaheim Ducks
8. Edmonton Oilers (I know, I'm a homer, but I'll explain this pick in a bit)

9. Dallas Stars
10. Calgary Flames
11. Phoenix Coyotes
12. Colorado Avalanche
13. Minnesota Wild
14. St. Louis Blues
15. Columbus Blue Jackets

The Kings improved more than any other team in the offseason (with the additions of Mike Richards and Simon Gagne) and have all the depth in all the right places. A brilliant starting goaltender (Jonathan Quick) with a future superstar as a backup (Jonathan Bernier), ridiculous depth in forwards (Anze Kopitar, Richards, Gagne, Dustin Brown, Justin Williams, Dustin Penner (who I despise, but I hear he's been working really hard this offseason and lets face it, he has all the tools to be a dominant power forward), and really good defence (not great, but really good: Drew Doughty, Jack Johnson, Matt Greene, Rob Scuderi).

The Predators are a really good team. Pekka Rinne is arguably the best goaltender in the world right now and this team just has a bunch of guys who play well; they don't have all that many superstars (pretty much just Shea Weber), but their team is deep top-to-bottom.

Now my Oilers: There is one guy who is gonna be the reason why this team will overachieve this season and squeak in with the eighth seed (like we did year after year in the 90s): Ryan Smyth. You may ask why an aging player who has never scored more than 70 points in a season in his career and only scored 47 last season while playing in all 82 games will make that much of a difference to this team. Let me explain: as a fan who has been following this team forever, I can tell you that what we've been lacking ever since we traded Smyth has been leadership, guts, grit, determination,... balls. All of our young and immature players have been playing for themselves, not buying into the system, not playing to win. All Smyth has to do is play the way he's always played and all of our players will follow, and they won't even do it consciously. When Smyth is your teammate he just makes you want to go beyond your limits for the team. Our team has holes, no doubt; our defence is very thin, our goaltending is questionable (although I think Nikolai Khabibulin has it in him to have one last good year and Devan Dubnyk has potential), but our forwards are sick, as deep as they come in this league. Once the forwards develop some chemistry, the Oilers will be a scoring machine. Imagine these lines: 1st line: Jordan Eberle, Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. 2nd line: Smyth, Shawn Horcoff, Ales Hemsky. That leaves Sam Gagner (injured right now), Magnus Paajarvi, Eric Belanger (a great offseason pickup), Ben Eager (a tough guy who can actually play hockey, something the Oilers haven't had since Georges Laraque), Ryan Jones, Linus Omark, and Anton Lander to fill out the remaining lines. That's wow!

Eastern Conference:

1. Washington Capitals (Southeast Division winner)
2. Boston Bruins (Northeast Division winner)
3. Pittsburgh Penguins (Atlantic Division winner)
4. Tampa Bay Lightning
5. Philadelphia Flyers
6. Carolina Hurricanes
7. New York Rangers
8. New Jersey Devils

9. Buffalo Sabres
10. Montreal Canadiens
11. Toronto Maple Leafs
12. Winnipeg Jets
13. New York Islanders
14. Florida Panthers
15. Ottawa Senators

The Washington Capitals are gonna have a monster year. Ovechkin is gonna lead the league in scoring again (after what some would call an off season last year, even though he scored 85 points). Tomas Vokoun in net is gonna be a game-changer for them. I see this team making it to the Cup, finally, although I don't see them winning it.

A lot of people have been picking the Flyers after they acquired Ilya Bryzgalov to solve their goaltending issues. However, this team hasn't improved, it's regressed. They lost their two best players, Jeff Carter and Mike Richards. Say what you want about them partying and drinking off the ice, but they were by far the two best players (especially on both sides of the ice) on this Flyers team. The depth is still there, but they're not a Cup contender anymore.

Watch out for the Lightning and the Hurricanes. If Roloson can stay healthy for the Lightning we could very well see them playing for the Cup. And Cam Ward is poised for a monster year for the Hurricanes. He will compete with Quick and Rinne all year long for the Vezina. However, the Hurricanes aren't deep enough even with Ward to be considered a true Cup contender.

Some people are expecting big things from the Leafs and Sabres. Don't hold your breath. These two teams are not that good. (If Ryan Miller plays like he did two years ago, then I can see him carrying the Sabres into the playoffs, but not beyond that).

Awards:

Hart Trophy (awarded to the league's most valuable player in the regular season): Alexander Ovechkin (WAS)
Art Ross Trophy (awarded to the league's leading scorer in the regular season): Alexander Ovechkin (WAS)
Maurice 'Rocket' Richard Trophy (awarded to the league's leading goal scorer in the regular season): Alexander Ovechkin (WAS)
Vezina Trophy (awarded to the league's best goaltender in the regular season): Jonathan Quick (LAK)
William M. Jennings Trophy (awarded to the goaltender(s) for the team with the fewest goals scored against in the regular season): Pekka Rinne (NAS)
James Norris Memorial Trophy (awarded to the league's best defenceman in the regular season): Shea Weber (NAS)
Calder Memorial Trophy (awarded to the league's best rookie in the regular season): Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (EDM)
Frank J. Selke Trophy (awarded to the league's best defensive forward in the regular season): Pavel Datsyuk (DET)
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (awarded to the player who best exemplifies sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct in the regular season): Martin St. Louis (TBL)
Ted Lindsay Award (awarded to the league's best player as voted by members on the NHLPA (the players)): Alexander Ovechkin (WAS)
Jack Adams Award (awarded to the league's best coach in the regular season): Barry Trotz (NAS)
Presidents' Trophy (awarded to the team with the best regular season record): Washington Capitals
Prince of Wales Trophy (awarded to the Eastern Conference Champions): Washington Capitals
Stanley Cup and Clarence S. Campbell Bowl (awarded to the Western Conference Champions): Los Angeles Kings
Conn Smythe Trophy (awarded to the most valuable player in the playoffs): Jonathan Quick (LAK)

Predictions (one day late):

Western Conference:

1. Los Angeles Kings (Pacific Division winner)
2. Vancouver Canucks (Northwest Division winner)
3. Nashville Predators (Central Division winner)
4. San Jose Sharks
5. Detroit Red Wings
6. Chicago Blackhawks
7. Anaheim Ducks
8. Edmonton Oilers (I know, I'm a homer, but I'll explain this pick in a bit)

9. Dallas Stars
10. Calgary Flames
11. Phoenix Coyotes
12. Colorado Avalanche
13. Minnesota Wild
14. St. Louis Blues
15. Columbus Blue Jackets

The Kings improved more than any other team in the offseason (with the additions of Mike Richards and Simon Gagne) and have all the depth in all the right places. A brilliant starting goaltender (Jonathan Quick) with a future superstar as a backup (Jonathan Bernier), ridiculous depth in forwards (Anze Kopitar, Richards, Gagne, Dustin Brown, Justin Williams, Dustin Penner (who I despise, but I hear he's been working really hard this offseason and lets face it, he has all the tools to be a dominant power forward), and really good defence (not great, but really good: Drew Doughty, Jack Johnson, Matt Greene, Rob Scuderi).

The Predators are a really good team. Pekka Rinne is arguably the best goaltender in the world right now and this team just has a bunch of guys who play well; they don't have all that many superstars (pretty much just Shea Weber), but their team is deep top-to-bottom.

Now my Oilers: There is one guy who is gonna be the reason why this team will overachieve this season and squeak in with the eighth seed (like we did year after year in the 90s): Ryan Smyth. You may ask why an aging player who has never scored more than 70 points in a season in his career and only scored 47 last season while playing in all 82 games will make that much of a difference to this team. Let me explain: as a fan who has been following this team forever, I can tell you that what we've been lacking ever since we traded Smyth has been leadership, guts, grit, determination,... balls. All of our young and immature players have been playing for themselves, not buying into the system, not playing to win. All Smyth has to do is play the way he's always played and all of our players will follow, and they won't even do it consciously. When Smyth is your teammate he just makes you want to go beyond your limits for the team. Our team has holes, no doubt; our defence is very thin, our goaltending is questionable (although I think Nikolai Khabibulin has it in him to have one last good year and Devan Dubnyk has potential), but our forwards are sick, as deep as they come in this league. Once the forwards develop some chemistry, the Oilers will be a scoring machine. Imagine these lines: 1st line: Jordan Eberle, Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. 2nd line: Smyth, Shawn Horcoff, Ales Hemsky. That leaves Sam Gagner (injured right now), Magnus Paajarvi, Eric Belanger (a great offseason pickup), Ben Eager (a tough guy who can actually play hockey, something the Oilers haven't had since Georges Laraque), Ryan Jones, Linus Omark, and Anton Lander to fill out the remaining lines. That's wow!

Eastern Conference:

1. Washington Capitals (Southeast Division winner)
2. Boston Bruins (Northeast Division winner)
3. Pittsburgh Penguins (Atlantic Division winner)
4. Tampa Bay Lightning
5. Philadelphia Flyers
6. Carolina Hurricanes
7. New York Rangers
8. New Jersey Devils

9. Buffalo Sabres
10. Montreal Canadiens
11. Toronto Maple Leafs
12. Winnipeg Jets
13. New York Islanders
14. Florida Panthers
15. Ottawa Senators

The Washington Capitals are gonna have a monster year. Ovechkin is gonna lead the league in scoring again (after what some would call an off season last year, even though he scored 85 points). Tomas Vokoun in net is gonna be a game-changer for them. I see this team making it to the Cup, finally, although I don't see them winning it.

A lot of people have been picking the Flyers after they acquired Ilya Bryzgalov to solve their goaltending issues. However, this team hasn't improved, it's regressed. They lost their two best players, Jeff Carter and Mike Richards. Say what you want about them partying and drinking off the ice, but they were by far the two best players (especially on both sides of the ice) on this Flyers team. The depth is still there, but they're not a Cup contender anymore.

Watch out for the Lightning and the Hurricanes. If Roloson can stay healthy for the Lightning we could very well see them playing for the Cup. And Cam Ward is poised for a monster year for the Hurricanes. He will compete with Quick and Rinne all year long for the Vezina. However, the Hurricanes aren't deep enough even with Ward to be considered a true Cup contender.

Some people are expecting big things from the Leafs and Sabres. Don't hold your breath. These two teams are not that good. (If Ryan Miller plays like he did two years ago, then I can see him carrying the Sabres into the playoffs, but not beyond that).

Awards:

Hart Trophy (awarded to the league's most valuable player in the regular season): Alexander Ovechkin (WAS)
Art Ross Trophy (awarded to the league's leading scorer in the regular season): Alexander Ovechkin (WAS)
Maurice 'Rocket' Richard Trophy (awarded to the league's leading goal scorer in the regular season): Alexander Ovechkin (WAS)
Vezina Trophy (awarded to the league's best goaltender in the regular season): Jonathan Quick (LAK)
William M. Jennings Trophy (awarded to the goaltender(s) for the team with the fewest goals scored against in the regular season): Pekka Rinne (NAS)
James Norris Memorial Trophy (awarded to the league's best defenceman in the regular season): Shea Weber (NAS)
Calder Memorial Trophy (awarded to the league's best rookie in the regular season): Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (EDM)
Frank J. Selke Trophy (awarded to the league's best defensive forward in the regular season): Pavel Datsyuk (DET)
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (awarded to the player who best exemplifies sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct in the regular season): Martin St. Louis (TBL)
Ted Lindsay Award (awarded to the league's best player as voted by members on the NHLPA (the players)): Alexander Ovechkin (WAS)
Jack Adams Award (awarded to the league's best coach in the regular season): Barry Trotz (NAS)
Presidents' Trophy (awarded to the team with the best regular season record): Washington Capitals
Prince of Wales Trophy (awarded to the Eastern Conference Champions): Washington Capitals
Stanley Cup and Clarence S. Campbell Bowl (awarded to the Western Conference Champions): Los Angeles Kings
Conn Smythe Trophy (awarded to the most valuable player in the playoffs): Jonathan Quick (LAK)

Well said. :clap:

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
Whoa I like the Kings my second favorite team but, LA taking the Stanley Cup? Like the people that live there really care about hockey? Unless they have Kobe Bryant playing, a Kardashian dating one of the players, or Jack Nicholson having permanent season tickets. They are not going to give a shit.

PlasmaTwa2

Whoa I like the Kings my second favorite team but, LA taking the Stanley Cup? Like the people that live there really care about hockey? Unless they have Kobe Bryant playing, a Kardashian dating one of the players, or Jack Nicholson having permanent season tickets. They are not going to give a shit.

If locals caring about the team winning the Cup mattered then there would be more than a few teams having to give their Cups back. LA winning the Cup this year would probably the best case scenario for the league, in my opinion, especially if the entire NBA season is cancelled.

Fuck the Penguins being in the final, I bet Bettman has wet dreams over a potential King-Rangers final.

PlasmaTwa2

Mine predictions:

Western Conference
1. Vancouver Canucks
2. San Jose Sharks
3. Chicago Blackhawks
4. Los Angeles Kings
5. Detroit Red Wings
6. Nashville Predators
7. Anaheim Ducks
8. Columbus Blue Jackets
9. St. Louis Blues
10. Minnesota Wild
11. Edmonton Oilers
12. Colorado Avalance
13. Calgary Flames
14. Phoenix Coyotes
15. Dallas Stars

It is going to be really close between Vancouver and San Jose this year for the top spot, I think. The reason I'm picking Vancouver over San Jose is because they have the FAR easier division. They should be able to dominate any team in the Northwest, except for the Wild (maybe). San Jose will have a tougher year with Anaheim and Los Angeles, but I think their new upgrades on defence will keep them on top, at least for this year.

Like usual, spots 4-12 are going to be a complete clusterfuck. I'm just going to go with Columbus in eighth on the off chance Mason gets his shit together. Unlike you, farva, I don't think a single player will be enough to push the Oilers into the playoffs, but they will be better than the Flames this season (prediction: Iginla or Kip are traded this year). At the ass-end are the two teams that lost their best players.

Eastern Conference
1. Washington Capitals (Presidents' Trophy)
2. Pittsburgh Penguins
3. Buffalo Sabres
4. Boston Bruins
5. New York Rangers
6. Tampa Bay Lightning
7. Philadelphia Flyers
8. New Jersey Devils
9. Montreal Canadiens
10. Carolina Hurricanes
11. Florida Panthers
12. Toronto Maple Leafs
13. New York Islanders
14. Winnipeg Jets
15. Ottawa Senators

Washington will dominate the regular season like they did two years ago... I think the addition of Vokoun makes this the best team ever assembled in Washington and from all accounts Ovechkin is going to be a monster this year again. Pittsburgh is a great team, but Washington is a bit better and I don't see Crosby coming back as a point-per-game player, especially when you will probably be able to stop him by charging him.

I completely disagree with rodfarva's idea of Buffalo. I think they have done nothing but improve this year and I could really see them making a move at the deadline for a major name (Iginla). They'll be neck-an-neck with Boston, but they'll come out on top.

Rest of the playoff teams are pretty straightforward. Unlike everyone else I don't think New Jersey is a bad team, their performance during the second-half last season proved that. If they can actually gel with a new coach this year they will do alright.

Toronto... will not make the playoffs, it will be close, but I don't think Reimer is the savior everyone wants him to be. Winnipeg's first season will be a joke but at least they'll be able to say they aren't the Senators.

As for the final... Way to early to make a guess and I have no clue but seeing as how I successfully picked last year's NBA final, my unofficial, not-binding-so-you-can't-hold-me-to-this-at-the-end-of-the-year pick is San Jose vs Buffalo.

They will have to let Steve MacIntyre play fulltime.:clap:

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
If locals caring about the team winning the Cup mattered then there would be more than a few teams having to give their Cups back. LA winning the Cup this year would probably the best case scenario for the league, in my opinion, especially if the entire NBA season is cancelled.

Fuck the Penguins being in the final, I bet Bettman has wet dreams over a potential King-Rangers final.

Last night's Kings win over the Rangers may be a precursor to said wet dream of Gary Bettman.

Don Cherry calls out former tough guys Stu Grimson, Chris Nilan and Jim Thomson for their outspoken criticisms of fighting in the NHL:

Several ex-NHL tough guys have dropped their gloves - and their target is Don Cherry.

The outspoken hockey personality singled out former players Stu Grimson, Chris Nilan and Jim Thomson in a Coach's Corner rant Thursday, calling them a "bunch of pukes" for publicly suggesting those who fight in the NHL are more likely to turn to substance abuse.

"(They say) 'Oh, the reason that they're drinking, (taking) drugs and alcoholics is because they fight.' You turncoats. You hypocrites," an animated Cherry said during CBC's Hockey Night in Canada game between the Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs.

"If there's one thing I'm not, it's a hypocrite," added Cherry, whose comments come after three former NHL players known for fighting died over the summer. "You guys were fighters, and now you don't want guys to make the same living you did."

In response to Cherry's name-calling, retired forward Grimson said he thinks Cherry's rant went too far.

"He's edging ever closer to the line ... and I think there will come a point when he steps over that line and CBC decides it's time to shut the senile old uncle down," Grimson said.

Grimson also denied ever having said anything publicly about NHL players who fight being prone to substance abuse.

"Nothing could be farther from the truth," a calm and level-headed Grimson said. "I don't think there's an article out there that can point to a quote where I say anything like that."

Although he said he never particularly idolized the hockey commentator before, Grimson said he doesn't hold a high opinion of Cherry after his remarks.

"(He's) entertaining, but a lot of what he says completely misses the mark," Grimson said. "I've never put a whole lot of stock in anything he's ever said, and I certainly place less stock on anything he says going forward."

With Cherry's colourful language in Thursday's rant, Grimson said he doesn't think the opinions will carry any weight in the NHL community's ongoing debate about fighting in hockey.

"If you're going to go on national television to enter into this debate, and at the same time call people pukes and hypocrites ... I think the well-informed viewer understands that and doesn't put a whole lot of stock in what he says," Grimson said.

Immediately following Cherry's rant, which set off a firestorm across social networking websites, Nilan, a former Hab, also quickly took to Twitter to defend himself.

"I guess those who can't play, coach, or just had a show called coaches corner (sic). Pretty sad he has to say that to get ratings. Guess he sees the writing on the wall with CBC losing market share to Bell and TSN," Nilan wrote.

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Cherry+rant+ticks+tough+guys/5522245/story.html#ixzz1aCuFp2Rs

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Cherry+rant+ticks+tough+guys/5522245/story.html

Wild may have one of the most premier offensive lines in the league this year in Koivu, Heatley and Setoguchi:

Goaltender Josh Harding and winger Dany Heatley stood head to head near the end of a recent Wild practice. A whistle had sounded and most players skated toward the sideboards for a water break, but not Harding and Heatley.

The puck was on Heatley's stick. Harding crouched in front of Heatley, the glove on his right hand at the ready. Heatley deftly slid the puck to his right, to his left, back to his right and back to his left.

He whipped a bull's-eye of a shot under Harding's glove and into the corner of the net.

Then both players glided over to the water bottles, Harding delivering a little rap on Heatley's shin pads with his big goalie stick in mock frustration.

"He has some good moves," Harding said. "He's definitely one of the best in the league."

The Wild have had great players and outstanding performances in their 10 seasons, but not until now have they had a bona fide No. 1 NHL line in Heatley, Mikko Koivu and Devin Setoguchi.

"I can't remember the last time they had the legitimacy of a top line," said Darren Pang, a network TV analyst. "The big, prototypical power center who can make a play and the guys who can come off the wing and score goals."

Harding sees the top line as a game-changer for Minnesota, likening its explosiveness to that of the St. Louis Cardinals' Albert Pujols.

"A different sport," Harding said, "but he strikes out three times in a game and in that fourth at-bat, he can still hit a home run."

Koivu, Heatley and Setoguchi, Harding added, "are always dangerous every time they go on the ice."
After finishing 26th of 30 NHL teams in goals last season, that's precisely what the Wild needed. General manager Chuck Fletcher acquired Heatley and Setoguchi in separate trades this summer with San Jose, sending Brent Burns, Martin Havlat and a future draft pick to the Sharks.

Wild winger Pierre-Marc Bouchard was excited by the moves, which also landed San Jose's 2010 first-round pick, Charlie Coyle, and this year's 28th overall selection, Zach Phillips.

"They went out and got some really good players, guys that can score," Bouchard said.

Former NHL executive Lou Nanne says the mixture and level of skills brought by Koivu, Heatley and Setoguchi is a rarity.

Koivu is a bull with the puck "and just a tremendous all-around player," he said, while Heatley is "a natural" goal-scorer with terrific hands and excellent instincts for making plays along the wall. "And Setoguchi has great speed and a great shot."

Heatley brings the credentials of a two-time 50-goal scorer. Placing him and Setoguchi on either side of Koivu, Nanne said, should allow the Wild's captain to become one of the premier scorers in the NHL.

Koivu produced 67, 71 and 62 points over the past three seasons. He came to training camp saying he missed departed linemates and good friends Andrew Brunette and Antti Miettinen, his wingers for the previous three seasons. It didn't take long, however, for him to adapt.

Koivu, Heatley and Setoguchi collected three goals and eight points in their first game together, a 4-3 exhibition victory over Columbus last month.

After that game, even the reserved Koivu was smiling.

"There are a lot of new things going on," he said, "and everyone is very excited. Everybody is working."

Koivu, 28, has 96 goals and a franchise-high 221 assists in 433 games for the Wild, while Setoguchi is a 24-year-old with lightning quickness who bagged 31 goals for the Sharks three seasons ago and is considered a player whose best years are still ahead.

That leaves Heatley, the key acquisition in franchise history and the player counted on to propel the Wild offense to new heights.

"Dany's scored a lot of goals in this league," Wild assistant general manager Brent Flahr said, "and every time he gets the puck in the offensive zone, he's a threat."

He might not make people forget about Marian Gaborik, Nanne says, but one thing's for sure: "He's been more durable."

Only 30, Heatley has 689 points in 669 career NHL games.

Flahr watched the No. 1 line deliver 11 points in its first two exhibition games. The line finished the preseason with 20 points in five games.

"It's just the tip of the iceberg now," he said. "They've had some offensive success in a couple of preseason games, but they're still getting to know each other, tendencies and where to be. Mikko likes to distribute the puck and Dany and Seto like to shoot it, so it's just getting their timing and getting used to each other and where to be on the ice. That'll take a little bit of time, but with their talent levels, it's exciting for us."

NBC and Versus TV commentator Ed Olczyk, who scored 342 goals in his NHL career, likes the way Heatley and Koivu work together. But he also said to not forget the other guy.

"I think Devin Setoguchi really is, to me, I think he's the key addition for the Minnesota Wild," Olczyk said.

Like Heatley, Setoguchi should complement Koivu well, according to Olczyk.

"Mikko Koivu who probably, in my opinion, has been the most underrated player in the entire National Hockey League for his years of service in Minnesota, I mean (now) he's got some guys that can skate and have the ability to be able to finish," he said.

Setoguchi was sitting in the Wild dressing room the other day talking about how outstanding the team's goaltending is when goalie Niklas Backstrom walked past. Setoguchi spotted him and announced that when he was with San Jose, Backstrom stopped him some of the time but that he beat Backstrom numerous times.

Backstrom laughed, raising his arms above his head.

"His arms were tired from celebrating," Backstrom said.

That's exactly what the Wild are hoping for from him and his linemates this season.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19059454

I'm looking forward to getting down to a few games this year. Especially if this team doesn't sniff jockstrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.