• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

BlkHawk

Closed Account
Im not a bison fan. too lean and not enough fat. I havent tried the brisket on a buffalo but I'm going to a ranch in Montana in March where they raise deer, bison and emu so Ill be doing a lot of experimenting with different things and will try it out!

brisket isnt my favorite meat to cook, but I like it occasionally. I usually make it if I'm having a group of people over and it makes great leftovers. I have bought a 2 pound flat brisket and ground it into burger which was fantastic.

Have you ever tried beefalo? It is not as lean as buffalo, not as fatty as beef, and has a sweeter taste. Though it is hard to find unless you raise it yourself, which is how I had it. It is actually my favourite, though I haven't had it since I stopped farming.

Little more info on it if you haven't heard of it:
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/breeds/cattle/beefalo/index.htm

I highly recommend you give it a try if you get the chance. Unfortunately some people sell regular beef, and label it as beefalo, so you can only reliably get it from a registered breeder.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
I don't just want this, I NEED this. And it's healthy too. Use turkey bacon. You can fill it with egg whites or a crispy salad. Plus we can collect the fat.

that is pretty cool :) not the healthiest thing lol and turkey bacon is NOT nearly as good as regular bacon. what's sad is that so many people have never had REAL bacon. they've only had that processed crap from a grocery. there are a few places to get real bacon which is pork belly. My favorite brands are Lobel's Double Hickory Smoked Slab and Wright's Applewood bacon. both are thick sliced and delicious but if you want it real, you HAVE to get it from someone who actually cuts the belly, smokes it and sells it whole for YOU to slice. I went to this place in Louisiana that did all of their own slaughter and smoking and sold the entire belly smoked. it was fucking AMAZING. changed my opinion of bacon forever.

if you want to try some RIDICULOUS bacon checkout Dartagnan.com I have bought the duck bacon a few times and its so good it will blow your mind, but their applewood bacon is fucking outrageous. Seriously, it is so worth the experience.

bobjustbob

Thanks for that link. I have heard about the magical qualities of duck fat but duck bacon is something I definitely have to check out. Thanks for the link. Here's one for you. I've spoken about this place before and here's their bacon pages below. 10 minutes from my place. I get my kielbasy and other stuff that floats to their butcher.

http://www.pulaskimeats.com/loins2.html

http://www.pulaskimeats.com/loins3.html

bobjustbob

Nice to see the dogs but they were being very, very bad.

I knew that today would be cold outside so I decided yesterday to soak some pink beans. I've done black beans with bacon before but this is my first time with pinks. Those little pink fuckers swelled in no time. I've got some roasted turkey wings and drums to toss into the pot for a slow and low. Football games on today so I can tend and smell for hours and hours. Garlic, don't forget the garlic. Quarter some onions and toss them in too. I'm hoping that the pinks can absorb the flavor of the turkey just like the blacks soak in the bacon. In the end I expect (hope) for a nice flavorful mix of pink beans and turkey meat pulled from the bones to drop on rice. Wish me luck.

On Saturday morning I was at the market trying to think up something to make for a little TV party I was having that afternoon with some girl friends. I didn't want anything heavy because we're all pretty much watching what we eat. So I found these delicate little pastry cups that were adorable! Here's what I came up with:

I put 6 eggs in a bowl and whisked them until they were starting to fluff and then poured them into a skillet with melted butter. I whisked them the entire time until they were scrambled and they were REALLY fluffy. So scooped a spoonful of those into each of my little tart cups then topped it with some wild caught smoked salmon. the salmon that is natural color, not that dyed bright red crap sold at the grocery. then a dollop of whipped cream cheese (whipping it makes it MUCH lighter and easier to work with!) then some diced red onion and finally topped with a triangle of fresh beefsteak tomato.

whatya think? they were out-fucking-rageously delicious!

IMG_3435.jpg

salmon-egg-cups.jpg

Then with the leftover scrambled eggs and salmon I mixed it together and gave it to my puppies :) here is my Sophia pissed I am taking photos :)

sophia.jpg

Went to a VERY nice brunch yesterday the food was eh eh nothing ground breaking but I discovered something that I am going to be making for the rest of my life. First let me say that the place I went is the Rusty Pelican in Tampa. Beautiful restaurant on the water with giant windows overlooking Tampa Bay. I would bet it's beautiful at night as well. They have the absolute BEST Belgian Waffle I have EVER had in my life. Crispy on the outside, fluffy inside. But they topped it with vermont syrup mixed with warmed clover honey AND a whiskey butter sauce that made my knees weak! It was so creamy and nearly a glaze. I am going to figure this one out and film it. I would have taken a photo of the waffle but they weren't anything special to look at.

But here's a pic of the place if you are ever in Tampa I highly recommend this place for the view alone. And the waffles!

brunch2.JPG

brunch4.JPG

bobjustbob

The bean and turkey thing brought out surprises. I was hoping for a more flavorful bean but that could be for 2 reasons. Either I shouldn't have soaked the beans overnight before cooking or the milder flavor of the turkey didn't do justice to the milder pink bean. Still good but not what I was expecting. However, the broth is amazing. The turkey was still not decomposing so there was still more flavor left to get from that. Add more water with more onion and garlic. Total time was about 14 hours slow and low. Yea, I know that's crazy. But there was enough in those beans to thicken up a batch twice my anticipated size.

Portion that shit out into plastic. A little beans and meat that I can thaw when I get home from work. Get the rice cooker going while I shower, dinner served. Broth alone to thaw and just add noodles, bang. Pack that shit together in a tub for lunch at work. You want to call this peasant? It sure as hell is. I also know what exactly is in there (plus cooking keeps me off the streets for a day). People need to spend more time in their kitchens.

I've seen mini quiches and other such appetizers with that puff pastry that you described in the frozen department. Pillsbury has a roll out puff dough in the dairy section to bake but isn't that just for deserts? I've never seen the pre-made cups. Did you find them in the fresh bake section or...where?

bobjustbob

PIMQ, I am having a DP (dinner party) I want to cook a pork joint with lots of crackling. Can you advise please?

Kisses

miss h

Oooh, Oooh, can I come in here?

Get your oven to 475. Take your roast and put it fat side up in the roasting pan. Score that fat up part deep and insert some onion and apple wedges. Push them in there and rub the roast with salt. pop into the oven high on the rack for 25 minutes. Turn it down to 375 and let it go for 2 1/2 hours. Test it by sticking a knife in. When the juices run clear with no pink then it is done.

Remove it and let it sit. You can now make your grave in the roasting pan on the stove. Remove the fat from the pan, not the juices. Pick those apple and onion slices out and place them into your pan. Sprinkle some flour in and start whisking. Add some potato water in since you are probably going to have potatoes to serve with this. Keep whisking till you see that gravy come to what you want. Strain off the apples and onions and you are done.

I was rather hoping to read on more about you having a DP :)

Bob nailed it. I would cook it very high for the first 12 minutes as high as your oven will allow. then turn the oven off but do NOT open the oven door. let it continue like that for 1 hour. then turn the oven on to 160 celsius and use a meat thermometer getting the pork internal temp to 70 Celsius. remove and let it sit for at least 20 minutes before carving.

do as bob said for the gravy :) I would also remove the skin before carving and throw that in some oil to deep fry it til crispy.

please post photos of this you sultry slut :)

I was rather hoping to read on more about you having a DP :)

Bob nailed it. I would cook it very high for the first 12 minutes as high as your oven will allow. then turn the oven off but do NOT open the oven door. let it continue like that for 1 hour. then turn the oven on to 160 celsius and use a meat thermometer getting the pork internal temp to 70 Celsius. remove and let it sit for at least 20 minutes before carving.

do as bob said for the gravy :) I would also remove the skin before carving and throw that in some oil to deep fry it til crispy.

please post photos of this you sultry slut :)

I love it when our American friends talk in Celsius. :)

bobjustbob

I'll do this at my card game this weekend. Salami and egg in a puff. For my veg friend it will be egg, cheese, and a sun dried tomato. All with onion. I've got the Super Bowl coming and need to bring a signature dish. My curry battered shrimp can be prepared and travel but I want to top that. Plus they are a bunch of gavones that just suck down food without ever tasting it. Maybe some tuna and egg sliders thing I can put together. Decisions, decisions.