• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Does it bother anyone else that Americans call football by another name?

member006

Closed Account
I just had to share this, it reminded me of this thread. I was just watching the news and they showed a story on a Virginia Women's Rugby Team practice and a player had on a t-shirt that said ......

"Woman's Rugby is like a knife fight in a phone booth."

I have never watched rugby but they made it sound extremely rough.:dunno:

LL

I think it's silly (calling a sport 'Football' that has only one instance where the ball actually is ever kicked), but one of the more minor differences the US likes to make for itself.

The much larger, most annoying and in some cases potentially dangerous? Not using metric. Downright stupid, that.

Well actually, the ball is kicked in more than one instance in "American" Football. There is the actual kickoff, punts, and field goal attempts...

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND
I do i do*raises hand*

Why isn't football / soccer that popular in North America, United States / USA ?
http://board.freeones.com/showthread.php?t=164936

more football :)
http://board.freeones.com/showthread.php?p=1694476

I went to a good sized High School (graduating class of approximately 500). I had very little exposure to soccer. Most of the better male athletes played football in the fall. My school was in the Syracuse, NY area; so the better athletes actually wrestled in the winter and played lacrosse in the spring.

My wife played soccer through college. She was a goal keeper and went to college on an athletic scholarship. My wife starting coaching soccer when my daughter was 6 (she is now 12). I began to coach when she was 7 and I now assistant coaching on my daughters premier U14 traveling team. I played lacrosse at the college level and have found that the strategies of the two games to be very similar. Soccer is a transition game, not too unlike hockey or basketball.

We have two good colleges in the area. One has a Division I soccer program and the other is a top Division III school. I can tell you that the athleticism of soccer at this level is much more impressive than "American" Football or baseball. Since being exposed to soccer, I have grown to love the game.

If Americans concentrated on the athletic purity of sport, instead scoring, soccer would be more embraced. However, Americans are all about impact and visual stimulation... Hence, football rules all here. Additionally, soccer is like hockey; it does not translate well to TV.

It bothers the hell out of me that football has a different name in the USA. The name Americans have for it just degrades the sport. I believe the name itself does actually affect its popularity. I refuse to acknowledge that goofy sounding name and I hope somehow that the US will eventually call it by its rightful name and change the name of that other sport to tackleball or something like that.

Incidentally, what is up with MLS calling the sport by its bogus name, yet naming some of its teams "football clubs" like FC Dallas or Toronto FC. They should make up their minds and rename their league to the AFA.

sounds like you need a hobby.

Its a terrible sport anyway, i dont care if the rest of the universe calls it football and we call it soccer, i call it gay.

I'd like soccer if it was a contact sport. But it's not, and most soccer players are big pussies that go down as soon and their touched.

For the record, no - it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I don't get particularly flustered about pavements being called sidewalks, or the way they pronounce Aluminium as "Aluminum"... seems to me different folks have different ways of terming things all over the world - let them have their words.

Hmm...I've got him down as an attention seeking whore

Well said indeed, great skinny high pitched poof-faced excuse for a man. <--- becks that is, not tunsty ;)

I prefer it when it is called football, but it doesn't fuss me too much.

I believe the word 'soccer' originates from this country anyways, so it's ironic we get precious about it.

i haven't read through all the thread, but does it bother you that we we call it T.V. instead of "the tele"?

the nFl is a much bigger money maker in the US then mlS. so the name's gonna stay.

oh and reading the thread starters condescending attitude of "we're right, you're wrong you unsophisticated americans" well that just makes me wanna drink some beer, watch some nascar, then move on to some wrestling. then if i'm feeling really chipper i'll hop on a plane to europe and start talking very LOUDLY to everybody i see. and just for shits and giggles i'll remind everyone how us fat ass red-neck americans saved your asses in WWII.

i figure it'll be good to improve our tourist reputation in the world.

i haven't read through all the thread, but does it bother you that we we call it T.V. instead of "the tele"?

the nFl is a much bigger money maker in the US then mlS. so the name's gonna stay.

oh and reading the thread starters condescending attitude of "we're right, you're wrong you unsophisticated americans" well that just makes me wanna drink some beer, watch some nascar, then move on to some wrestling. then if i'm feeling really chipper i'll hop on a plane to europe and start talking very LOUDLY to everybody i see. and just for shits and giggles i'll remind everyone how us fat ass red-neck americans saved your asses in WWII.

i figure it'll be good to improve our tourist reputation in the world.

u need to have an IQ of 60 or below to enjoy nascar. you can't afford a plane to Europe and you didn't save anyone in WW2, you weren't even alive back then. Don't take credit for what others have accomplished.

Long live football!