• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Does it bother anyone else that Americans call football by another name?

Well why do the Brits call an elevator a "lift", cigarettes = fags, apartment = flat, french fries = chips, garbage can = dustbin, lawyer - barrister, etc.

Lift, because it lift things up.
Fags, I honestly haven't a clue :dunno:
Flat, because that is what it is. All on the same level. Where as a apartment can have a upstairs level too.
Chips, because they are chipped out of a potato.
Dustbin, is because that is what it is for, dust and other rubbish. Which goes into a bin.
Actually we have solicitors and barristers. The barrister is the case expert that fights a case in the crown court or above. But not in a magistrates court or below. As a solicitor will fight your case there.

Now I've answered your questions. How about I reverse them and ask you why you call them what you Americans do?

Here another question for you then. What is English? As the language is never used anymore as the queens English and there are many accents and variations.

a fagot (or faggot) is a bundle of twigs or sticks used for fuel via fire, thus it's association with smoking

dictionarydotcom on its use to describe a male homosexual:

[size=-2]1914, Amer.Eng. slang (shortened form fag is from 1921), probably from earlier contemptuous term for "woman" (1591), especially an old and unpleasant one, in reference to faggot (1) "bundle of sticks," as something awkward that has to be carried (cf. baggage). It was used in this sense in 20c. by D.H. Lawrence and James Joyce, among others. It may also be reinforced by Yiddish faygele "homosexual," lit. "little bird." It also may have roots in Brit. public school slang fag "a junior who does certain duties for a senior" (1785), with suggestions of "catamite," from fag (v.). This was also used as a verb.

Other obsolete senses of faggot were "man hired into military service simply to fill out the ranks at muster" (1700) and "vote manufactured for party purposes" (1817). The oft-heard statement that male homosexuals were called faggots in reference to their being burned at the stake is an etymological urban legend. Burning was sometimes a punishment meted out to homosexuals in Christian Europe (on the suggestion of the Biblical fate of Sodom and Gomorah), but in England, where parliament had made homosexuality a capital offense in 1533, hanging was the method prescribed. Any use of faggot in connection with public executions had long become an English historical obscurity by the time the word began to be used for "male homosexual" in 20th century American slang, whereas the contemptuous slang word for "woman" (and the other possible sources or influences listed here) was in active use.[/size]

The only solution is to have all Britons fight all Americans, heads-up with no weapons. There's alot of hatred that has to be let out and that is the only way to do it.

I say we all meet in a huge field in Delaware to settle our differences, a fight to the finish.

it is confusing why we call american football football and worldwide football soccer. worrldwide football is definate foot to ball contact and american foot ball involve throwing passing and catching the ball w/only an ocassional kick involved

Lift, because it lift things up.
Fags, I honestly haven't a clue :dunno:
Flat, because that is what it is. All on the same level. Where as a apartment can have a upstairs level too.
Chips, because they are chipped out of a potato.
Dustbin, is because that is what it is for, dust and other rubbish. Which goes into a bin.
Actually we have solicitors and barristers. The barrister is the case expert that fights a case in the crown court or above. But not in a magistrates court or below. As a solicitor will fight your case there.

Now I've answered your questions. How about I reverse them and ask you why you call them what you Americans do?

Here another question for you then. What is English? As the language is never used anymore as the queens English and there are many accents and variations.

Actually my question was a rhetorical one. An attempt to point out that different people call things by different names.

Actually my question was a rhetorical one. An attempt to point out that different people call things by different names.

Well as I've said on here more than once, that's a accent thing. Even in Britain things aren't called the same from place to place. So why would you expect them to be called the same from country to country?

Facetious

Moderated
Here, if one were to use the expression "She's got a bee in her bonnet" it means she's pissed, agitated, on the rag etc etc.

In the UK it would mean that said woman has a bee stuck into the grille of her car (?) :confused:

:tongue:

yeah it really bothers me, in fact i can't sleep at night

*Has a bee stuck into the grille of her car* what the hell are you talking about

Here, if one were to use the expression "She's got a bee in her bonnet" it means she's pissed, agitated, on the rag etc etc.

In the UK it would mean that said woman has a bee stuck into the grille of her car (?) :confused:

:tongue:

A bonnet over here is two things...

A woman's hat (which that term is about and from the 1800's originally).
Or it is not the grill of a car, but the hood of the car as the US call it.

I can expand on this with a example of what different terms or names are used in different areas of the UK. Take a half smoked cigarette that someone has put out to save the rest for later. Where I am they call it a "flip", but further down south it's a "stub", further up north a "butt". Sandwiches are butties around me and so on.

Like I said accents are different in even your own country, without trying to work them out from country to country.

This is why I've never tried to workout why...football is soccer, trousers are pants, petrol is gas, etc.

A bonnet over here is two things...

A woman's hat (which that term is about and from the 1800's originally).
Or it is not the grill of a car, but the hood of the car as the US call it.

I can expand on this with a example of what different terms or names are used in different areas of the UK. Take a half smoked cigarette that someone has put out to save the rest for later. Where I am they call it a "flip", but further down south it's a "stub", further up north a "butt". Sandwiches are butties around me and so on.

Like I said accents are different in even your own country, without trying to work them out from country to country.

This is why I've never tried to workout why...football is soccer, trousers are pants, petrol is gas, etc.

There is a thing called the "moggie line" - in some parts of the UK "moggie" means a cat and in other places it's a mouse.

I couldn´t care less.
I prefer hockey.

Ditto.

Come on folks, I really think that there are much more important issues to be so concerned about. Football or soccer or what any other sport is called isn't very high on my list of issues. I love college football, baseball, & hockey. But, at the end of the day, they're all just games that we enjoy passing the time with. As for changing names, well, I wouldn't hold my breath. Just my opinion.

As for Becks? He's classified under "soccer" in my book..........:D

Hmm...I've got him down as an attention seeking whore

Nearly all the teams in The English premiership play 'Football', except Derby County...they play shite.

Hmm...I've got him down as an attention seeking whore

Nearly all the teams in The English premiership play 'Football', except Derby County...they play shite.

Hey, i'm a derby fan so watch it :mad: , we may not play the best football, and we may play shite, but........... what was the third thing you said???

Hey, i'm a derby fan so watch it :mad: , we may not play the best football, and we may play shite, but........... what was the third thing you said???

Thanks for agreeing :hatsoff: