• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Does it bother anyone else that Americans call football by another name?

Doesn't bother me at all...

dave_rhino

Closed Account
What exactly was the reasoning when American Football was called Football? 95% of the time the ball is no where near anyones feet...

FU world. "American" football, regardless of its name, is way better. Americans, in general, hate soccer because a 3-0 score is not a blow out. It's freaking boring. The field is way to large. The amount of goals makes baseball seem exciting. It's just a cultural thing. Americans might like soccer if the rules were changed to favor higher scoring. We had to have a different name for it considering that we already had "football." We could change it back to football but instead of calling ours "American football" we could just call yours "Boring Football." Deal?

In Australia we call soccer soccer, and football applies to rugby league, rugby union, or Australian rules football, 3 very different games. It kinda frustrates me that when Yanks hear me say football they think I'm talking about soccer, which I have no love for (although it's much less boring than stop-start-take a break American football). Have I upset everyone?

tartanterrier

Is somewhere outhere.
In Australia we call soccer soccer, and football applies to rugby league, rugby union, or Australian rules football, 3 very different games. It kinda frustrates me that when Yanks hear me say football they think I'm talking about soccer, which I have no love for (although it's much less boring than stop-start-take a break American football). Have I upset everyone?

Could be worse mate.You could be talking away and some yank mistakes you for being a cockney :D

I'd figured something like millions of children going hungry, or people dying from curable illnesses, or people being slaughtered by others would be more bothersome than the differing names of one sport between multiple countries. But then, I am just one of the dumb Yanks that calls it soccer. So what do I know, right?

we should get david beckham to kick some wafers off of angelina jolies head into the mouths of starving african kids.

And I think that america does it precisely just to piss off the rest of the world. What can I say? we are lazy and ignorant and we like stupid things.

It really doesn't phaze me. As a world football/soccer fan, I don't care to acknowledge the MLS. So far they haven't done anything that I deem worth watching. and we have team USA that we are only a little bit ashamed of. So that's good enough for me. Let em have "football."

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
I think it's silly (calling a sport 'Football' that has only one instance where the ball actually is ever kicked), but one of the more minor differences the US likes to make for itself.

The much larger, most annoying and in some cases potentially dangerous? Not using metric. Downright stupid, that.

I agree, I'm not sure what else American "football" should be called?

Why do American football players wear so much padding and Rugby players don't?

Also, they sit out with minor injuries and still get paid so much. The American worker still works with worse ailments or they don't get paid.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
because rugby players arent all there upstairs. :1orglaugh

So, all the American football players are?

I've seen a few Rugby games and they look faster and well built. One player was on the field with blood all over his leg. In America they would have that player on the sidelines. Probably drinking from a juice box. :D

Rugby players must not whine as much. :dunno:

Rugby players also have to be a lot more mobile than American football players. It's not just a bunch of guys creating a human wall so one can make a break and another throws him the ball, the whole team is expected to be able to run, pass, kick, catch, and tackle. This is to me the key difference in the games. In American football, each guy does just one thing, so it's no surprise that that's what he does when he gets the ball, in rugby, league or union, any player can do anything, so there's a lot more improvising and thinking on your feet, and definitely a lot less frustrating time-outs.

Considering the regulation ball is +/- 12 inches....one foot long. It is an appropriate name.

American football grew out of the game of Rugby football.Originally passing was not allowed.It has evolved to its present day form since then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football

I thought these two comments would have put the contraversy to rest. I also learned something tonight.

But if you insist on getting heated up over an Americanism, how about us calling the best teams of the season World Champions when we play nobody other than ourselves (and maybe one or two teams in Canada).

People can call it whatever they want. The issue was never important enough for me to care, let along get upset, about. :dunno:

FAH-Q

Banned
So, all the American football players are?

I've seen a few Rugby games and they look faster and well built. One player was on the field with blood all over his leg. In America they would have that player on the sidelines. Probably drinking from a juice box. :D

Rugby players must not whine as much. :dunno:

it might have to do with money as well. longer the career, more money. but i have no clue as to what rugby pays. :dunno:

I am an American that would rather watch soccer than American Football. It is just a more exciting game. I love when Americans claim that football is so exciting and soccer, baseball and hockey are so boring. At least in those sports there is not a minute break between every 20 second play, and 10,000 commercials per match. But the name will never change, and for some reason football in America just keeps growing in popularity. I am also an American that wishes they would make metric the only system in use. Hmmm, which seems more logical, a system based on increments of 10, or a system based on nothing logical.

What exactly was the reasoning when American Football was called Football? 95% of the time the ball is no where near anyones feet...

Considering that all the players on the field have at least one foot (and in most cases they have two feet) I don't see why you are puzzled.