• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Does it bother anyone else that Americans call football by another name?

I am also an American that wishes they would make metric the only system in use. Hmmm, which seems more logical, a system based on increments of 10, or a system based on nothing logical.

SHH. We don't want the rest of the world to find out that secret. we're supposed to pretend that everyone else just isn't smart enough to get it. Like, "oh, you don't understand how you can have one unit based on 12s, one on 4ths, and another on 38? you must not be very bright!"

Petra

Cult Mother and Simpering Cunt
What annoys me is the natives here are talking about Football, and just for MY clarification look straight at me and say Soccer. I may be American, I may not speak the native language too well but I do know what the proper name of the sport is. :1orglaugh

FAH-Q

Banned
SHH. We don't want the rest of the world to find out that secret. we're supposed to pretend that everyone else just isn't smart enough to get it. Like, "oh, you don't understand how you can have one unit based on 12s, one on 4ths, and another on 38? you must not be very bright!"

god bless the standard system. :glugglug:

What annoys me is the natives here are talking about Football, and just for MY clarification look straight at me and say Soccer. I may be American, I may not speak the native language too well but I do know what the proper name of the sport is. :1orglaugh
soccer IS the proper name for it. :rofl:

BNF

Ex-SuperMod
Blow me! If this thread hasn't turned into a cock up.

It's a good thing that words like knob, to nut, tidy, fit, gutted all only mean one thing, 'innit, mates? :D

FAH-Q

Banned
Blow me! If this thread hasn't turned into a cock up.

It's a good thing that words like knob, to nut, tidy, fit, gutted all only mean one thing, 'innit, mates? :D

i realize that the internet has many culturs, languages, and customs. but, would you run this by me one more time? :confused: :rofl:

om3ga

It's good to be the king...
To me Arsenal, Man U, Liverppol, etc play footy...
The NY Giants, Chicago Bears, etc play American Football...

As for Becks? He's classified under "soccer" in my book..........:D

But hey - people can call their game whatever they like.

Bye!

:wave2:

The much larger, most annoying and in some cases potentially dangerous? Not using metric. Downright stupid, that.

So you don't our version of football either then. As the pitch is measured in yards...

Six yard box
Eighteen yard box
He scored from 35 yards out
And so on.

[B][URL="https://www.freeones.com/friday said:
Friday[/URL][/B] on my mi, post: 2006058, member: 44516"]American football grew out of the game of Rugby football.Originally passing was not allowed.It has evolved to its present day form since then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football

As did our football too Friday.

Rugby football was around before football and was where it came from.

FU world. "American" football, regardless of its name, is way better. Americans, in general, hate soccer because a 3-0 score is not a blow out. It's freaking boring. The field is way to large. The amount of goals makes baseball seem exciting. It's just a cultural thing. Americans might like soccer if the rules were changed to favor higher scoring. We had to have a different name for it considering that we already had "football." We could change it back to football but instead of calling ours "American football" we could just call yours "Boring Football." Deal?

This is actually not correct at all. Most Americans simply don't care about Soccer period. If it's not "boring" then it's the Euro Hooligans who ruin everything...or some other regurgitated media-driven reason.

If you really cared to see "what the fuss was about" with REAL soccer (not MLS or MISL), you could understand why Soccer is much more exciting then NFL football and for sure..stinking Baseball.:sleep: There are real "problems" with soccer that will turn off the American fan, once he/she finally gives soccer a chance. The main reason are the "flops, dives and fake injuries" which would surely anger the American Fan...Another is the offside rule..that will annoy American Fan someday...

For your info--Hockey thought they could change the game to adapt for a "higher scoring product," and attract fans, and it hasn't attracted a single new fan. Although the scores are now routinely in the 5-4, 6-5, 6-2 range..

A fan must understand and appreciate the fundamentals first.

xxaru

Approved Content Owner
Approved Content Owner
I've never understood how they came up with "soccer" to begin with. IMO, soccer should be rightfully called football, and American football should be called American rugby... cause that's really what it is, an Americanized form of rugby.

I love the way these threads always breakdown into a slanging match between Europe and America. Doesn't matter which board it's on or what the starting question is. They always end up each side taking swipes at the others.

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
football = soccer in america, who gives a fuck? At least we recognize soccer...err...sorry, futbol as a sport:thefinger

Well why do the Brits call an elevator a "lift", cigarettes = fags, apartment = flat, french fries = chips, garbage can = dustbin, lawyer - barrister, etc.

Call it what you will, soccer is still boring. 90 minutes of watching 20 guys kicking a spotted ball back and forth from one side of the field (notice I didn't call it pitch) (pitch is something done in baseball) to the other side of the field bores the crap out of me. Unlike football, which has been bashed repeatedly on this thread for taking time to regroup and plan out the next play, soccer features no strategy whatsoever, unless you consider kicking the ball to a guy running on the opposite side of the field so he can kick it back to you a strategy. Football is kind of like a game of chess. You have to look at the board to figure out what pieces to move, and you have to devise strategies for doing so.

BNF

Ex-SuperMod
This thread always goes the same route. It has been posted nearly word for word nearly a dozen times in the 6+ years I've been here.

My gentle advice:

No matter what anyone calls it, the game is the same. "A rose by any other name..."

Americans speak a dialect of English and, as such, will often develop and use their own words and meanings that are still considered proper. This happens in every widely spoken language: High German, Austrian, Swiss German or Northern Italian and Sicilian, or Continental Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese.

The English are not the master race. Americans are not the master (mix) of races.

It is a game that appeals to some and is despised by others. The popularity or lack of it does not mean anything at all. (Michael Jackson has massive world appeal, so does Britney but appeal does not define value.)

Chips / french fries are terrible for your health.

Awesome / brilliant are words to express "great" or "very good"

Warm beer / ice cold beer both do the same job (giving you a gut)

One country at one time has been or is upset by the skewed balance of world power/influence of the other

Both countries cannot make light of each other without getting in a fist to cuffs

Both countries are equally mortified by Ruby Wax and Simon Cowell

Both countries are proud that Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Alba exist

Last edited:
This thread always goes the same route. It has been posted nearly word for word nearly a dozen times in the 6+ years I've been here.

My gentle advice:

No matter what anyone calls it, the game is the same. "A rose by any other name..."

Americans speak a dialect of English and, as such, will often develop and use their own words and meanings that are still considered proper. This happens in every widely spoken language: High German, Austrian, Swiss German or Northern Italian and Sicilian, or Continental Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese.

The English are not the master race. Americans are not the master (mix) of races.

It is a game that appeals to some and is despised by others. The popularity or lack of it does not mean anything at all. (Michael Jackson has massive world appeal, so does Britney but appeal does not define value.)

Chips / french fries are terrible for your health.

Awesome / brilliant are words to express "great" or "very good"

Warm beer / ice cold beer both do the same job (giving you a gut)

One country at one time has been or is upset by the skewed balance of world power/influence of the other

Both countries cannot make light of each other without getting in a fist to cuffs

Both countries are equally mortified by Ruby Way and Simon Cowell

Amen to that, brother!

Well why do the Brits call an elevator a "lift", cigarettes = fags, apartment = flat, french fries = chips, garbage can = dustbin, lawyer - barrister, etc.

Don't know the answers to all these.A flat is an apartment which is on one level , French fries aren't French,we have lawyers.A lawyer who does general law work is called a solicitor and a barrister is a lawyer who represents clients in court.
Why do you call rounders baseball?