• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in head

Limbaugh is a product of the FCC (under Reagan of course) doing away with the equal time requirement! If it were still in place, there could be no Limbaugh or his ilk! If they had to give an equal amount of time to opposing viewpoints, there could be no shows like that! The rest are nothing but copycats given Limbaugh's success! And AM radio finds itself being nothing more than a toxic cesspool to this day! I find it funny that nobody ever questions the words, statements, and actions of people who do so for pay, ratings, and are essentially nothing more than ENTERTAINERS......and certainly are not JOURNALISTS or NEWSMEN! When there is money involved......who knows how someone REALLY feels about ANYTHING!?!?! I guess it's just the cynic in me!

:nono:We all know Rush was forced into action as a direct reaction to all the baiting, spinning, extremist 'libs' flooding the television and radio airwaves before he came along.:rolleyes:

Quick, name 2.:o

BTW, didn't Rush have a tv show once and it bombed? Wait, that was surely just another 'lib' authored conspiracy too. Right?

Jon S.

Banned
Here is a bit of trivia and a complaint about America:

First the Trivia:

What was Rush Limbaugh's name when he was a top-40 dj (kinda telling that he is like the only one in his family without a law degree....but I digress) at Pittsburgh's KQV:

Jeff Christie

Now the complaint:

God damn it! Can't we Americans do anything right & be number one in the world anymore??? I just saw that the Mexicans have now surpassed us as being the fattest nation in the world! Never fear, we are still #2.......but damn.....now we can't even lead in the things that we seemingly take great pride in! When will the insanity end?

Some people on my team(The Left) need to quiet down. There was an immediate rush to judgment within minutes of Gabby Giffords being shot on Saturday. Almost immediately Twitter filled up with tweets by liberals who were blaming the act on Sarah Palin, the Tea Party and gun rights advocates. The public’s rush to judgment is typical of a crisis. The fact is that Loughner was fucking crazy and he would have gone and shot somebody regardless of the political rhetoric.

Palin would've gotten the support of NOW had she been a liberal.
Hahaha, she absolutely would not. Do you even know what you're even saying or is there a pull string in your back?

Jon S.

Banned
Some people on my team(The Left) need to quiet down. There was an immediate rush to judgment within minutes of Gabby Giffords being shot on Saturday. Almost immediately Twitter filled up with tweets by liberals who were blaming the act on Sarah Palin, the Tea Party and gun rights advocates. The public’s rush to judgment is typical of a crisis. The fact is that Loughner was fucking crazy and he would have gone and shot somebody regardless of the political rhetoric.

Somebody......probably! The target in question.....maybe/probably not!

emceeemcee

Banned
Stopped by the Secret Service.

Name them.

Hell, there have been threats to Bush from this board.

A bunch of disgruntled citizens on the internet telling Bush to suck a fuck when he went from one cock-up to another, compared to a bunch of retards who actually carry out politically motivated murders.

There is no equivalency, but as an apologist for right wing fuckwittery I understand why you are desperate to find one.

emceeemcee

Banned

Except he chose to shoot a politician who was singled out by the demagogues who espoused the political views he was partial to.

but that's just it, loughner chose to shoot her (fucked up tho his head may be), no one else...whether or not the rhetoric was out of hand, you can't blame the rhetoric...just like how marilyn manson and rammstein weren't to blame for columbine

Rattrap

Doesn't feed trolls and would appreciate it if you
Whew, what a thread. And to think, I've read all 22 pages of it. There's quite a bit of back and forth, but here are some things I just wanted to throw my two cents in...one is a favorite of 2nd Amendment supporters (which isn't, by the way, to say that I'm not):

According to Ron Paul:

“The Second Amendment is not about hunting deer or keeping a pistol in your nightstand,” the Texas Republican declared in 2006. “It is not about protecting oneself against common criminals. It is about preventing tyranny. The Founders knew that unarmed citizens would never be able to overthrow a tyrannical government as they did. ... The muskets they used against the British army were the assault rifles of that time.”
That's why I voted for him. An unarmed populace, are not citizens, they are subjects.
I like Ron Paul and this argument's a favorite: but I think it's total bologna. Back in the day when oppressive force was an actual threat, sure. Today that simply isn't the case. It isn't practical or effective for the US government to control through authoritarian means. Rather, they'll do it the way they do it anyway: quiet mis-education and subversion of rights. They've been doing it for decades. Has the armed populace even so much as slowed this down? Not a wink.

Does anybody really think that if the US army - assuming every if not most individual soldiers forgot their oath to defend against enemies aboard and at home - decided to physically 'take over', gun enthusiasts, hunters and other gun sportsmen would be able to stop them? Not a chance.

No, the argument doesn't hold water. It's easier and more effective for the government to control as it does now. It works and people still pay taxes. z9102 had it exactly right:
Guns don't preserve liberty. An ever vigilant public looking out for their civil liberties does.

And over the last 50 years or so they've been doing a rather poor job of it.

Moving on...
Trying to paint this as some kind of random attack is obviously rediculous. The politician in question was singled out, using violent symbolism, by anti-government politicians and media demagogues who constantly reference violent overthrow as a legitimate means and then along comes a nut who embraced those same views.

If that's all just a coincidence then it's a pretty big one.
but that's just it, loughner chose to shoot her (fucked up tho his head may be), no one else...whether or not the rhetoric was out of hand, you can't blame the rhetoric...just like how marilyn manson and rammstein weren't to blame for columbine
For the sake of argument, I'm going to make a difference between 'blame' and 'responsibility'. Blame is where the finger-pointing should go. Responsibility I'm using in the strictest definition of the word: the ability to respond. Only Loughner should be blamed. However, everyone - especially Palin, considering her presence in the public domain - is responsible for the crap they shovel out into the public domain. As emcee said, it would be foolish - irresponsible, in fact - to simply write this off as an isolated crazy person performing an isolated shooting. No doubt Loughner was crazy, but if we simply stop there and don't look at the context and culture around him, we're simply waiting for the next shooting.

That these things happen somewhat frequently should tell us that there's something quite wrong with our culture. How big a part things like Palin's targets and 'reload, don't retreat' (as well as the same sort of stuff from others in the public domain) play in encouraging incidents like these is debatable, but they most certainly play a part. I think it's completely fair to have a look at these things and ask questions, though the more politically motivated these questions are, the more bias and less use they're likely to have.

Or, we could just continue to treat this like a sibling rivalry with this 'oh, they started it', 'they did it worse first', 'they do it to!' BS. Just remember: defending your 'side' by comparing it to actions of the other doesn't excuse your side's actions or even really defend it (I say this because there's a ton of it in this thread). Two wrongs don't make a right, lesser of two evils, etc., etc.

Jon S.

Banned
This is really a rhetorical question, but why is it that conservatives and those on the right seem to favor a rigid, strict constructionist, interpretation of the Constitution........except for the Second Amendment.......in which case they favor a LIBERAL interpretation! This contradiction would be funny if it weren't so sad!

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
Does anybody really think that if the US army - assuming every if not most individual soldiers forgot their oath to defend against enemies aboard and at home - decided to physically 'take over', gun enthusiasts, hunters and other gun sportsmen would be able to stop them? Not a chance.

Then I die trying. Live free, or die....you wanna roll over and take it...that's your choice, but don't expect me, or several million others to give up so easily. To be realistic, I don't even think the armed forces of this great nation, or it's law enforcement officers would turn on the people. Maybe FEMA, certainly the UN...but I doubt any self respecting Marine, Airmen, would continue to move against America, once they realized the politicians were using them to destroy the Constitution, instead of upholding it.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member

It is not as easy as that. Do you have any experience working with officially stupid people? I have been working as a social worker handling people with IQs like, 64. It is hard to believe at first how their minds work, but it is absolutely easy to get them to do pretty much anything you want, if you play on their emotions. One specific guy, a young man from Poland, whose family moved over here to Germany was frequently used from a drug gang as a transporter tool etc, as they watched Ice-T videos with him and showed him cash and guns and he was instantly eager to do all the jobs they asked him to do. I am absolutely sure he would have shot anybody they told him to, just to be more gangsta.

Hell, he said once, in the youth center where I worked, after obviously a female neighbour nagged him again for playing hip hop at extreme volume, 'Damn, I want to shoot her down!'

Resumee:

If you are a person of power, be it politician, TV or Radio Broadcast - You have a responsibilty. Simple minded persons will follow on your words.

And really do not begin to lessen the impact of the hatespeech that the likes of Beck, O'Reilly and Palin. They did all but pull the trigger.

Jon S.

Banned
The fact of the matter is that "they" don't want to admit/acknowledge the FACT (at least not publicly) that simple minded people even EXIST in the United States! While the fact remains that the United States has no shortage of simple minded people who are easily influenced!

:facepalm::facepalm::sleep::sleep:

No one was wrong for blaming Palin and her heightening and mainstreaming of extremist rhetoric ...no matter who the shooter ended up being. She's not to blame for the shooter but she is to blame for her ridiculously inappropriate rhetoric in light of what's happened.

OMFG, I wish Palin, he supporters, and detractors would just go away.

It is not good commentary on the US that she is a political factor at all. The whole attraction is based out of fear (for some) and a wish for over simplifying issues.

If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.

On another note, Mega, you may need to save me. I was listening to Governor Chris Christie on the radio and I liked what I heard. He sounds direct, reasonable, and fair. If I was the Queen of the Republicans I would have him or Connie Rice run against Obama. (I'm thinking that may be a position I will never hold)

OMFG, I wish Palin, he supporters, and detractors would just go away.

It is not good commentary on the US that she is a political factor at all. The whole attraction is based out of fear (for some) and a wish for over simplifying issues.

If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.

On another note, Mega, you may need to save me. I was listening to Governor Chris Christie on the radio and I liked what I heard. He sounds direct, reasonable, and fair. If I was the Queen of the Republicans I would have him or Connie Rice run against Obama. (I'm thinking that may be a position I will never hold)

I haven't heard where Condi stands on the issues nor have I heard what Christie has had to say. Doubtful Condi could persuade me to vote for her considering some of the policies she's supported and promulgating while working under Bush. Based on some of the policies he engaged in she should have resigned if she didn't support nor believe in them. Barring that I have think she believed in them as well.