• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Charity Scams

Luxman

#TRE45ON
Most charities are started primarily to make a profit for the organizers.
When rich people owe each other money, they sometimes give it to the other persons charity, because it's tax deductible and the receiving person will pocket a good portion of it as "administrative expenses", even though it's meant for the charity.
One of many obscure little loop holes in the law exploited by the greedy aholes who are the main cause of national debt.
Exploited by many politician who's job is supposed to be to stop these types of exploitations.

I never give to charities that ask me for money, I always choose who I give to.

http://www.tampabay.com/topics/specials/worst-charities.page?src=longreads

Petra

Cult Mother and Simpering Cunt
Always do your homework before giving to a Charity.

For US based charities you can check http://www.bbb.org/us/Charity-Reviews/. You can also ask for the Charity's form 990. If they don't want you to see it, chances are they're bogus.

An awesome Charity (thanks to whomever mentioned them during our 2012 Christmas Charity Drive) is http://www.kiva.org/home. It's not actually a Charity, but it has the whole "teach a man to fish" concept going on. Once you get paid back (there is a risk you won't), you can re-loan that amount to someone else. Pretty awesome.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
Charities are such a great "good old boys" network. All sitting on each other's boards hosting events for each other. They can charge and get reimbursed for anything.

It just isn't the board member's perks The turn me off to to some of them. I've heard about The Red Cross sending bills to recipients of their aid. Charging them for blankets, food baskets, and other stuff.

I worked for a company that had a yearly United Way fund drive. The idea was to have employees make a weekly charitable donation or any lump sum during the drive. There was presentation by the operations manager of the store with a rep from United Way. We were all presented cards to fill out with our choice of the lump sum or weekly deduction. Even if we did want to donate, we were to fill out the card with our names to show that we were given the information. Come to find out that there was a lot of corporate pressure put upon these operation managers for this drive. It was a part of their yearly review. Corporate tracked the cards for employees informed about the program. The participation percentages and money gathered was all to be sent upstairs is a report. This success or failure of the program at store level became a part of the operations manager's yearly salary review. I will ever give a dime to The United Way because of this and tell everyone that story when they say their name because I'm sure that wasn't happening to just my company.

I'm picky who I'll give to. Any shelter gets my money. Horse rescue is naturally another for me. Volunteer firemen or rescue squad too. Cheerleaders and sports? No way. If you want your kid to play a sport then buy them the ball, glove, and skates and take them to a field where other kids are doing the same thing. If you want them in an organized league with jerseys and hats and coaches then shell out for that too Mom and Dad. I ain't kicking in for John and Jane's shit that they will give up next year.

vodkazvictim

Why save the world, when you can rule it?
Charities are such a great "good old boys" network. All sitting on each other's boards hosting events for each other. They can charge and get reimbursed for anything.

It just isn't the board member's perks The turn me off to to some of them. I've heard about The Red Cross sending bills to recipients of their aid. Charging them for blankets, food baskets, and other stuff.

I worked for a company that had a yearly United Way fund drive. The idea was to have employees make a weekly charitable donation or any lump sum during the drive. There was presentation by the operations manager of the store with a rep from United Way. We were all presented cards to fill out with our choice of the lump sum or weekly deduction. Even if we did want to donate, we were to fill out the card with our names to show that we were given the information. Come to find out that there was a lot of corporate pressure put upon these operation managers for this drive. It was a part of their yearly review. Corporate tracked the cards for employees informed about the program. The participation percentages and money gathered was all to be sent upstairs is a report. This success or failure of the program at store level became a part of the operations manager's yearly salary review. I will ever give a dime to The United Way because of this and tell everyone that story when they say their name because I'm sure that wasn't happening to just my company.

I'm picky who I'll give to. Any shelter gets my money. Horse rescue is naturally another for me. Volunteer firemen or rescue squad too. Cheerleaders and sports? No way. If you want your kid to play a sport then buy them the ball, glove, and skates and take them to a field where other kids are doing the same thing. If you want them in an organized league with jerseys and hats and coaches then shell out for that too Mom and Dad. I ain't kicking in for John and Jane's shit that they will give up next year.
You and I are in danger of agreeing again...
Must do something...
Eviscerate the bourgeousie!

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
It's the same with any "non-profit" organization as well. I am involved in one whose board members make 6-figure incomes. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. :D

Yea. Seems like the only advertising I hear on the radio today is a charity or a political group.

Nobody wants to sell a good or service. I guess Amazon and Wal-Mart have that cornered.

I only give to well known charities such as the Red Cross, UNICEF, Amnesty International, etc...

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
I do honorary work in a community center with older people and I am working with refugees. No passing of money involved. Instead, we all learn from each other.

Ace Boobtoucher

Founder and Captain of the Douchepatrol
Usually I only deal with charities that do direct good for the people they intend to help. For instance, Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada and their diaper drive. One of my friends is heading this project and I have collected and/or bought eight huge boxes of huggies and three big boxes of wipes. I did an Alheimer's walk recently but I'm still a little unsure of their bona fides.

Luxman

#TRE45ON

Petra

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1093

Since it's the holiday season and this got bumped... here's a site that scores US based charities and shows their transparency.

And, because it's become my (non)charity, here's my personal kiva link. This is where you can give micro loans for as low as $25 for all sorts of things to 3rd world countries. I tend to contribute to youth education loans. But, I believe if you sign up and give by using my link, Kiva will give me money, or match what I loan, to use on other loans. https://www.kiva.org/invitedby/petra7162

Petra

I'm quite cynical about the major charities, especially the Cancer ones, instead I donate to hospices

That's a worthy donation.

Locally I also have started donating to this one http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34297590 the article is a bit old, but they're still doing the same thing but have more ambulances and volunteers so they can give out more last wishes.

Luxman

#TRE45ON
NOT a scam - World Vision. I sponsor a child in Zambia, and have been for around a decade. I also sponsored one in Ecuador - but with my assistance, her family became self-supporting and she / they no longer needed my help. THAT is pretty awesome!

Luxman

#TRE45ON
NOT a scam - World Vision. I sponsor a child in Zambia, and have been for around a decade. I also sponsored one in Ecuador - but with my assistance, her family became self-supporting and she / they no longer needed my help. THAT is pretty awesome!

How do you verify that the child and family actually got the money you sent???

I receive letters / status reports during the year. And, pictures. And lately - links to videos taken.