• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Boxing discussion thread

Yuriorkis Gamboa is also on HBO tonight, facing off against Daniel Ponce de Leon

'Bout to turn on Martinez-Barker, thank you very much. I want a Martinez-Mayweather or Pac after he beats Barker. I think a Martinez-Mayweather match would be magic. :yesyes:

I don't really follow boxing all that much. Who's the heavyweight champ these days?

Faggot ass ref does the shortest 8-10 count I've ever seen to stop the Barker-Martinez fight. I never seen this Darren Barker but I am a fan after this effort. As always, Martinez puts on a great show. Great fight. Great undercard as well.

Bernard Hopkins (173.4) and Chad Dawson (174.2) made weight for their fight tomorrow.

Ok, what the hell happened with the Hopkins fight? TKO for Dawson? I heard the call was BS, anyone see what happened?

IBF orders cruiserweight rematch

Yoan Pablo Hernandez and Steve Cunningham will meet again for a cruiserweight title after the IBF ordered a rematch following Cunningham's protest over the controversial conclusion of their Oct. 1 bout.

Hernandez won a sixth-round technical decision against Cunningham in Neubrandenburg, Germany, after referee Mickey Vann stopped the fight on the advice of Dr. Walter Wegner, the ringside physician. Wegner called for the stoppage because of cuts Hernandez suffered due to accidental head butts.

Hernandez, 26, wound up winning a technical split decision, with two judges tabbing him as the winner (59-54 and 58-55), and the third judge going with Cunningham (57-56).

Although there was an outcry by some over the two scores in favor of Hernandez -- who had scored a hard first-round knockdown of Cunningham but appeared to lose rounds 3 and 6 -- the rematch was not ordered because of the scoring.

Instead, the rematch was ordered Friday because of what the IBF said was an incorrect stoppage based on the fact that cuts Hernandez suffered in the third and sixth rounds were not interfering with his ability to compete.

Bernard Hopkins says he won't retire

The 46-year-old Hopkins told The Associated Press on Monday he will not retire because of his injured left shoulder and the disputed call that cost him his WBC light heavyweight championship.

"I am going to fight again because I'm still the champion," he said. "I believe I will be the champion once the proper channels are being taken."

Rafael "Chocho" Guzman Shot and Killed in Mexico

According to several Mexican sources, Rafael "Chocho" Guzman (28-3-1, 20KOs) was shot and killed on Monday night in Colonia El Retiro, Guadalajara. Guzman, 26-years-old, is recognizable to some American boxing fans for his brave effort against rising star Mikey Garcia in an HBO televised bout on June 4th at Staples Center in Los Angeles. Guzman took the fight on late notice and he was stopped in the fourth round. He was scheduled to face former champion Malcolm Klassen on November 19th in South Africa.

According to a report from the police in Guadalajara, Guzman was ambushed by two armed men who were driving a white Nissan Tsuru. They fired at least eight shots. Guzman made an effort to run but collapsed at the scene. Police recovered six 9mm shells, as well as two 38 caliber shells.

Here is his fight with Garcia

Photos/Weights: Nonito Donaire 116, Omar Narvaez 117

Pongsaklek Wonjongkam Decisions Edgar Sosa To Retain

WBC flyweight champion Pongsaklek Wonjongkam won a twelve round unanimous decision over mandatory challenger Edgar Sosa at the 11th Infantry Regiment in Bangkok, Thailand. To prepare for this fight, Pongsaklek, 34, trained for 109 rounds. He considered Sosa to be the toughest fight of his career.

Scores after the first eight rounds were 79-73 (twice) and 80-72, all in favor of the champion. Sosa rallied late in the fight and took at least three rounds to make the scores a little less wider - 116-111 and 117-110 (twice). Referee was Massimo Barrovechio of Italy.

Pongsaklek, who raised his record to 82-4-1 (45KOs), controlled the action, outworked the veteran from Mexico, threw accurate punches and he never lost his focus. The 32-year-old Sosa, who vowed to win by knockout within nine, was frustrated by the late rounds and to his credit he changed his strategy and began to score points, but it was too late in the fight to make a considerable dent on the scorecards. Sosa falls to 43-7, 26KOs.

Mayweather Jr. Has Court Dates Set For Nov. 4, Dec. 21

Las Vegas, Nevada - WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. has a new date for an evidence hearing in a year-old felony Las Vegas domestic violence case. The 34-year-old boxer didn't appear Thursday while his attorneys met with a Las Vegas judge and prosecutors and rescheduled the hearing for December 21.

Both sides blamed scheduling conflicts for the postponement.

Mayweather is accused of hitting and threatening his ex-girlfriend, stealing her cell phone and threatening two of their children during an argument at her home in September 2010. He could face 34 years in prison if convicted.

His lawyers have denied wrongdoing on his behalf.

Mayweather is due for trial November 4th in a separate misdemeanor battery case in a confrontation with a homeowner association security guard last November outside Mayweather's home.

He has pleaded not guilty.

Saul Alvarez Attacks Archie Solis? Criminal Charges Loom

Several strong Mexican sources have advised BoxingScene.com that a physical altercation took place between WBC 154-pound champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, and Archie Solis, the IBF champion at 108-pounds. The physical confrontation took place on ther street in Guadalajara, Mexico. Several sources indicate that Solis was confronted by Alvarez on the street, and some words were exchanged. According to Solis' version of the story, Alvarez started attacking him.

Solis suffered a broken jaw and a broken tooth and he was taken to a local hospital, where the boxer is scheduled undergo surgery later tonight.

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=45336#ixzz1br3ybGfs
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

BoxingScene.com spoke to Solis' promoter, Fernando Beltran of Zanfer Promotions, who confirmed the story. Beltran advised BoxingScene that criminal charges are going to be pursued against Alvarez - and a civil lawsuit will be pursued for damages. Solis was scheduled to fight in December, but his injuries will delay his return until 2012 at the earliest.

"Yes, it's true and there will be criminal charges. It's sad because Canelo is denying everything. Finally he fought a good fighter, except it took place in the street. I think Canelo went over to Archie because of something he said about him. The version we have is the version of Archie Solis. He said that Canelo came to him and said 'I was looking for you **** and you ****.' Then he pushed him. And then he started attacking him with punches. He broke his jaw and broke a tooth. He's going to have surgery later tonight," Beltran told BoxingScene.com.

"It's sad because this sport has a lot of issues, and Canelo is a good prospect and a lot of people talk about him, and we don't need this with a guy like him attacking a good little champion at 108. And by the way, it was a technical knockout because [Canelo] couldn't drop [Solis]. Canelo is denying everything. I have the version of Archie Solis. Everyone, the Mexican press, is at the hospital with Archie."

"We are going to put out the pictures of his jaw and there were four witnesses there. He's going to proceed with a lawsuit because it's not fair. He had a fight scheduled for December and now his year is over. Maybe it's the end of his career? Who knows if he can fight again? It's sad that a champion at 154-pounds would do this to another champion at 108."

Alvarez has already denied the allegations to several third-party sources.

Archie Solis: Saul Alvarez Attacked Me Over a Woman

As previously reported, Alvarez confronted Solis, who says the altercation took place at a local running ground where both of them were training - and not in the street as reported earlier. He says Alvarez accused him of messing around with his girlfriend, and then attacked him with multiple punches.

Solis suffered a broken jaw and a broken tooth. He will undergo surgery later tonight and a planned defense in December is obviously going to be canceled.

"I ran into Alvarez when I finished training. Suddenly he began to claim a lot of things. He asked, 'why are you with my woman?'. I told him that I didn't know what he was talking about and then without warning he hit me with a left and right cross. I went back and then he threw a couple of more punches, one hit me in the temple and one to my chest. I wanted it to stop," Solis said.

Canelo: It Was My Brother; Photos of Solis' Injuries

WBC 154-pound champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez confirms that he was present when Archie Solis, the IBF's 108-pound champion, was battered and suffered multiple injuries, but he wasn't the individual who attacked him. Alvarez told Mexican reporter Sal Rodriguez that one of his brothers attacked Solis. Rodriguez snapped some shots of Solis' injuries.

"It's not true at all. [The fight] wasn't with me. It was with one of my brothers, but not with me. I was there. I just want to clarify that it's not true," Alvarez said.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. eyes May 5 fight

Floyd Mayweather Jr. does not plan on taking another 16-month vacation from the boxing ring, like he did after easily outpointing Shane Mosley in May 2010.

Instead, Mayweather, who knocked out Victor Ortiz on Sept. 17, will make a relatively hasty return: May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, adviser Leonard Ellerbe told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

Weights: James Toney 199, Denis Lebedev 197.5

Main Events lands Versus/NBC deal

Main Events has landed a television deal with Versus of the Comcast Network to promote a weekly series of fights that will begin on Jan. 21, RingTV.com has learned.

The promotional company, run by president Kathy Duva, will work with other promoters to televise the bouts during prime time, in conjuction with NBC, according to a source familiar with the terms of the contract. The fights will be on Versus as well as NBC on weekends.

Under Duva, former light heavyweight and cruiserweight beltholder Tomasz Adamek (44-2, 28 KOs) won 13 staight fights, including six of them in a row as a heavyweight before being stopped in the 10th round by Vitali Klitschko's (43-2, 40 KOs) in September.

Also, Zab Judah (41-7, 28 KOs) earned the IBF junior welterweight belt by seventh-round knockout over Kaizer Mabuza in March before being dethroned by fifth-round stoppage by Amir Khan in July.