• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Boxing discussion thread

Nick Charles Passes Away at Age 64 From Cancer

Nick Charles, the first sports anchor at CNN, died Saturday in Santa Fe, N.M., at 64. He had been diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2009. Charles had served as a sports anchor at Washington's WRC/Channel 4 and Baltimore's WJZ/Channel 13 before joining CNN when it launched in 1980. At CNN, he and Fred Hickman formed a popular team as anchors of "Sports Tonight."

Felix Sturm Shows His Worth, Split Win Over Macklin

Lanxess-Arena, Cologne, Germany - WBA middleweight champion Felix Sturm (36-2, 15KOs)*retained his title with*a twelve round split decision over a game Matthew Macklin (28-3, 19KOs) in a very exciting fight. Levi Martinez (USA) gave it to the challenger 115-113. He was outscored by Spaniard Jose Ignacio Martinez and Puerto Rican Roberto Ramirez who both awarded it to Sturm with identical scores of 116-112. The referee was Hall-of-Famer Stanley Christodolou of South Africa. Macklin came on very strong and took the fight to the champion in every round. Sturm was forced to suck it up and come back in the second half of the fight to save his title on the scorecards. BoxingScene had it 115-113 for Macklin.

HBO PPV lands Mayweather-Ortiz 'Star Power'

Floyd Mayweather Jr. and welterweight titleholder Victor Ortiz will fight under the banner of HBO PPV in their Sept. 17 showdown after Golden Boy promoter Richard Schaefer and network executives reached an agreement Wednesday.

"We have finalized our deal with HBO. We obviously had very intense negotiations," Schaefer told ESPN.com. "What we wanted to do is ensure that all the different Time Warner (HBO's parent company) assets will be in play one way or the other, including the Turner Broadcasting assets and the Time Inc. assets, which is their magazines."

One concrete example of how the fight will gain wider exposure than just on HBO: The reality series "24/7," which follows the buildup of major HBO PPV fights, will be replayed on one of the Turner networks, Schaefer said. The most likely would be TNT, TBS or truTV.

Guerrero moving up in weight to tackle Maidana

Robert Guerrero, the two-time featherweight titleholder and junior lightweight titlist, has defeated several notable opponents.

But his next fight, an Aug. 27 date with interim junior welterweight titlist Marcos Maidana, looks as though it will be the toughest of his career.

"I think it the biggest one so far and I think it's the most dangerous one so far, too," Guerrero told ESPN.com on Monday after finding out the fight was signed, sealed and delivered.

Orlando Salido-Mike Oliver is Set For July 23, Mexico

Ciudad Obregon, Sonora -*WBO featherweight*world champion Orlando "Siri" Salido, will*make the first defense of his crown in Ciudad Obregon, Sonora, in a promotion*put together by*Zanfer, Top Rank and Larsa Creative. Salido (35-11-1, 23 KOs) risks his title against American boxer*Mike "Machine" Oliver (24-2-0, 8 KOs) at the Multipurpose Center in Ciudad Obregon and the show will be transmitted by TV Azteca and Fox Sports. In the co-feature will pit*Alejandro "Alex" Valdez*against Enrique "Duende" Bernache.

David-Haye-Union-Jack-9629_2616808.jpg

"They are enemies. But their names will forever be linked. Two bickering champions who finally reached agreement. That the only challenge remaining, was to face each other. They have 21 world title victories between them. But history will judge them on just one night. In Hamburg Haye and Klitschko collide. The vanquished will fall and a unified king will finally be crowned, in a heavyweight battle for the ages."

Haye to win tonight in Hamburg, and bring them titles back to britain!!!

David-Haye-Union-Jack-9629_2616808.jpg

"They are enemies. But their names will forever be linked. Two bickering champions who finally reached agreement. That the only challenge remaining, was to face each other. They have 21 world title victories between them. But history will judge them on just one night. In Hamburg Haye and Klitschko collide. The vanquished will fall and a unified king will finally be crowned, in a heavyweight battle for the ages."

Haye to win tonight in Hamburg, and bring them titles back to britain!!!

Not gonna happen. Haye is overrated, IMO. :cool:

Klitschko by KO

Well, flip-flop-princess , if you wanna go piss with em bigdogs, u better be sure to be able to lift ur leg . :D:D
Were a little bit often falling around on his knees . ....lol :facepalm::rofl2::rofl2:

Otherwise, better fight as expectet. Congrats to both .
:D

sid-sexy

Banned
That fight was not particularly entertaining. The heavyweight division is just plain boring. Wlad is clearly good at the art of boxing, for what it's worth.

Haye said he had a broken toe at the end and couldn't move forward as he wanted.

He could have pulled out of the fight before it started.

Pfft...German's, always dodgy points decisions to their own or adopted own homeboys.;)

Boring ass fight fit perfectly into the most boring ass era of heavyweight boxing ever. Both Klits and Haye need to retire before they all cure the world of insomnia.

Haye said he had a broken toe at the end and couldn't move forward as he wanted.

He could have pulled out of the fight before it started.

Pfft...German's, always dodgy points decisions to their own or adopted own homeboys.;)

Sure, and tomorrow morning you will see Haye´s toe in all colours + in all kinda mags allaround the planet. That´s why Haye was a lil late in the ring, but at the end he decided : ....mmmhhh, c´mon, let this poor germans have their fight, I got a broken toe, ...but I´m a hero ( with my mouth ) and veeeryy generous. :D:angels:

Boring ass fight fit perfectly into the most boring ass era of heavyweight boxing ever. Both Klits and Haye need to retire before they all cure the world of insomnia.

Vlad v. Lennox Lewis was a good fight. Personally, I like some of the tallent. Beats watching Tyson knock every opponent out in 30 seconds. That shit right there was truly boring. :2 cents: But I have to concur that this bout was pretty trash. I wanted Wlad to knock Haye in to next week for all his antics.

Eh, at least we have the smaller weight classes to watch. Lots of good tallent there.

Sure, and tomorrow morning you will see Haye´s toe in all colours + in all kinda mags allaround the planet. That´s why Haye was a lil late in the ring, but at the end he decided : ....mmmhhh, c´mon, let this poor germans have their fight, I got a broken toe, ...but I´m a hero ( with my mouth ) and veeeryy generous. :D:angels:

Yeah even a very generous injured Haye went the distance and could have won away from home. Lucky he wasn't fully fit for Klitschko's sake.:tongue:

It was good that the fight was in Europe, so there was no 3am+ till the main event. Rematch to be fair...England, with a fully fit Haye.;)

This is klitschko next time-----> :lurk:

I was very disappointed in this fight, I bought into the Haye hype like everyone else. Oh well, shit happens.

That Khan/Judah fight that they were advertising should be fun though...

I was very disappointed in this fight, I bought into the Haye hype like everyone else. Oh well, shit happens.

That Khan/Judah fight that they were advertising should be fun though...

Khan is a beast and Judah still has some moves as well. That one and the Mayweather/Ortiz battle are the most intruiging. :2 cents:

No offense, but, what are you on? He just beat him handily. :2 cents:

Yes Klitschko got the nod, but Haye with broken toe could have still sprung a suprise. He wasn't beaten by far. Judges in germany of course would say otherwise.;)

Khan is overrated, did you see any of his earlier fights in the UK?. He's not even as good as Naseem hamed.

Yes Klitschko got the nod, but Haye with broken toe could have still sprung a suprise. He wasn't beaten by far. Judges in germany of course would say otherwise.;)

Khan is overrated, did you see any of his earlier fights in the UK?. He's not even as good as Naseem hamed.

Khan is not overrated. He has the best trainer in Freddy Roach. No, I didn't see his earlier fights, but I saw take some serious shots on his chin against Medina. It actually hurt me to see the blows he was taking and not even getting knocked down. Maybe you are right; we shall see.