• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Beautiful galaxy and space thread

Can't have a Space thread without "The Pillars of Creation".

that's not the actual image, right? I'm pretty sure some artistic license has been slapped onto that. And why is there the face of satan (space phallus on the left, at the bottom, right above the base) complete with sharp teeth and goatee?

#RealAstronomyIsBoring
#NeedAliensToFight

If I remember right they add the colours, enhance better and sometimes fill in blank whatever parts.

Rane1071

For the EMPEROR!!
that's not the actual image, right? I'm pretty sure some artistic license has been slapped onto that. And why is there the face of satan (space phallus on the left, at the bottom, right above the base) complete with sharp teeth and goatee?

If I remember right they add the colours, enhance better and sometimes fill in blank whatever parts.

Yep, what Whimsy said.

In celebration of the 25th anniversary since the launch of the Hubble Space Telescope, astronomers assembled a larger and higher-resolution photograph of the Pillars of Creation which was unveiled in January 2015 at the American Astronomical Society meeting in Seattle. The image was photographed by the Hubble Telescope's Wide Field Camera 3, installed in 2009, in visible light. An infrared image was also taken.

This is the Infra-Red image.

Damn so beautiful!

I was thinking the other day how awesome it would be to teleport any part of outer space. Because I was reading an article about Neptune's storm is shrinking. It was 3,100 miles now it is 2,400, or whatever, and I thought damn to be able to witness that!

Damn so beautiful!

I was thinking the other day how awesome it would be to teleport any part of outer space. Because I was reading an article about Neptune's storm is shrinking. It was 3,100 miles now it is 2,400, or whatever, and I thought damn to be able to witness that!

climate change.

Rane1071

For the EMPEROR!!
Damn so beautiful!

Hadn't seen that, but I was reading an article yesterday about the [NOBABE]Big Red Spot[/NOBABE] may disappear in the next couple of decades.

https://www.space.com/39764-jupiter-great-red-spot-could-disappear.html?

The storm's as big as ze Earf! Totally awesome!

climate change.

That's what you get for leaving the Paris Accords. ;)

Last edited:
Yes! That is insane! I'd love to see what that looks like too!

I remember reading years ago though that the eye was like 3 or 5 times the size of earth. And it's 500+ years old. How that is known, I'm not sure. But I definitely remembering could fit few earths in it.

An amateur astronomer caught a supernova on camera during the explosion’s earliest moments, giving physicists a glimpse of a long-sought phase of stellar death.

Víctor Buso spotted the supernova from his rooftop observatory in Rosario, Argentina, on September 20, 2016, when he aimed his telescope straight overhead at spiral galaxy NGC 613 to test a new camera. To avoid letting in too much light from the city sky — Rosario is a city of about 1.2 million people — he took a series of about 100 images that were each exposed for 20 seconds, spanning about an hour and a half.

Over the last half-hour of Buso’s observations, the supernova appeared and then doubled in brightness. In 2013, astronomers spotted a supernova within hours of its explosion (SN Online: 2/13/17), but this is one of the first to be spotted before it exploded.

*Bloop*

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/supernova-amateur-astronomer-camera

Rane1071

For the EMPEROR!!
Astronomers Watch Donut Rotate Around Supermassive Black Hole

observations of Messier 77 (M77, aka NGC 1068), a black hole 10 million times the mass of the Sun that’s partially hidden by its encircling torus. The Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA), high in the Atacama Desert in Chile, can image the torus itself, capturing the rotating, outflowing, and turbulent motions of its gas.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astr...donut-rotate-around-supermassive-black-hole/?

Rane1071

For the EMPEROR!!
On This Day 6 March 1994, the crew of Columbia photographed the glow created as the Space Shuttle interacted with atomic oxygen in orbit during day 3 of mission STS62