• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

2008 MLB Thread

I'm just glad the Rays lost. Now I don't have to listen to their fair-weather, jackass fans talk shit anymore. PHEW, thank God that's over with.

I am still going to talk "shit". Why is it so hard to believe that they may actually have some die-hard fans? Fans aren't made overnight either.

I don't understand why you hate the Rays so much. There is not much to dislike about this team and organization.

Oh yeah, I remember why you hate them so much now. They knocked your White Sox out of the playoffs.

ChefChiTown

The secret ingredient? MY BALLS
I am still going to talk "shit". Why is it so hard to believe that they may actually have some die-hard fans? Fans aren't made overnight either.

I don't understand why you hate the Rays so much. There is not much to dislike about this team and organization.

Oh yeah, I remember why you hate them so much now. They knocked your White Sox out of the playoffs.

It's not that I necessarily hate the Rays as a team, I just hate their fans. Yes, they quite possibly might have some die-hard fans, but their attendance record shows that most of their fans are fair-weather all the way...

Entire Season's Attendance Record

Tampa Bay Fans' lackluster attendance record

With all this in their favor, it would be easy to believe that the Rays would have some of the highest attendance figures in the League. And while there has been a 20% increase in attendance, this only brings the Rays average crowd size to 21,301 per game. The Rays have yet to have a full sellout crowd in Tropicana Field this season. They have drawn crowds of up to 37,000 when the Red Sox have come down to play, but the capacity for Tropicana Field is 45,000 people.

http://major-league-baseball.suite101.com/article.cfm/tampa_bay_rays_attendance_blues

Before this season, they were never able to sell out a game until this year's ALDS. This means that Rays fans are now starting to believe.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/66778-tampa-bay-rays-miracle-season

Tampa Bay couldn't draw a sell out crowd until the playoffs. That screeeeeams "fair weather" and I hate fair weather fans. They are a disgrace to sports.

Oh, and those White Sox that you beat in the ALDS won the World Series a few years ago. Something your Rays couldn't do. :tongue:

It's not that I necessarily hate the Rays as a team, I just hate their fans. Yes, they quite possibly might have some die-hard fans, but their attendance record shows that most of their fans are fair-weather all the way...

Entire Season's Attendance Record

http://major-league-baseball.suite101.com/article.cfm/tampa_bay_rays_attendance_blues

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/66778-tampa-bay-rays-miracle-season

Tampa Bay couldn't draw a sell out crowd until the playoffs. That screeeeeams "fair weather" and I hate fair weather fans. They are a disgrace to sports.

Oh, and those White Sox that you beat in the ALDS won the World Series a few years ago. Something your Rays couldn't do. :tongue:

I mentioned this exact same reason why I wanted the Rays to lose a while back.Their piss poor fans don't deserve bragging rights for their team winning a world championship,so I'm glad that they lost,not that I dislike the actual players because they played very well this season and deserved all the success that they achieved.

Thanks for providing the hard numbers to back up why most of their fans suck.

That Iwamura guy from the Rays cannot hold on to the ball. Asian butterfingers.

He was playing shallow on that pop-up and had to catch it awkwardly over his shoulder. He probably should've held on to it, but there are a lot of guys who would've botched that play. In case you stopped watching after that and missed it, Iwamura made an incredible diving play on a well-hit grounder by Feliz, robbing him of a single up the middle later in the game. Iwamura is also a six-time Japanese league gold glover, so I'd say he probably knows how to hold onto the ball just fine.

He was playing shallow on that pop-up and had to catch it awkwardly over his shoulder. He probably should've held on to it, but there are a lot of guys who would've botched that play. In case you stopped watching after that and missed it, Iwamura made an incredible diving play on a well-hit grounder by Feliz, robbing him of a single up the middle later in the game. Iwamura is also a six-time Japanese league gold glover, so I'd say he probably knows how to hold onto the ball just fine.

I would have liked to see Utley come even remoting close to that playing where Iwamura was.

All you Oakland fans should be happy.

Looks like they are on the verge of getting Holliday and they may end up signing Furcal aswell.

Love Lidge's reaction. Instead of getting a seizure like Papelbon or K-Rod do, he jumps up in the air and is clearly yelling "We did it!" Unfortunately its not shown in the video above. That was a moment that will be in the annals of of baseball history.:hatsoff:

As for the A's getting Holliday, seems they will give up Huston Street (former ROY), Carlos Gonzales (possible star) and Greg Smith (serviceable lefty, with a killer pick-off move) Who got the better end of the deal? Methinks the Rockies did. Bah another team thats getting better, while my Gigantes sit and sign guys who arent very good. Josh Phelps? Justin Miller?

Tomorrow is the announcement for the NL Cy Young and if Lincecum dont win the voters should be pushed off their "wins are everything" stools. How can arguably the most dominating pitcher in baseball not win the damn award. Yeah so what if Im biased. NLCY=Lincecum:bowdown:

Love Lidge's reaction. Instead of getting a seizure like Papelbon or K-Rod do, he jumps up in the air and is clearly yelling "We did it!" Unfortunately its not shown in the video above. That was a moment that will be in the annals of of baseball history.:hatsoff:

As for the A's getting Holliday, seems they will give up Huston Street (former ROY), Carlos Gonzales (possible star) and Greg Smith (serviceable lefty, with a killer pick-off move) Who got the better end of the deal? Methinks the Rockies did. Bah another team thats getting better, while my Gigantes sit and sign guys who arent very good. Josh Phelps? Justin Miller?

Tomorrow is the announcement for the NL Cy Young and if Lincecum dont win the voters should be pushed off their "wins are everything" stools. How can arguably the most dominating pitcher in baseball not win the damn award. Yeah so what if Im biased. NLCY=Lincecum:bowdown:

Johan deserves is just as much as Lincecum, in my opinion. The only thing that is going to stop Johan from getting it is his wins.

Lincecum wins, now Ive been seeing alot of folks saying it should have been Johan. I will respectfully disagree, I do think Santana should have been in second over Webb (again the goddamn wins), Santana was was untouchable the second half, but Lincecum was doing all that all season long. ERA and IP as well as pennant race pressure for Johan. Lincecum got most everything else except wins. 265 K's in 227 IP in his second year? Filthy.

ChefChiTown

Lincecum wins, now Ive been seeing alot of folks saying it should have been Johan. I will respectfully disagree, I do think Santana should have been in second over Webb (again the goddamn wins), Santana was was untouchable the second half, but Lincecum was doing all that all season long. ERA and IP as well as pennant race pressure for Johan. Lincecum got most everything else except wins. 265 K's in 227 IP in his second year? Filthy.

Tim Lincecum winning the NL Cy Young just made a complete mockery of the award itself. The ONLY reason Lincecum won is because of his 265 strikeouts. That's it. No other reason. Yes, 18-5 is a good record, but he shouldn't have won the Cy Young at all. Who should have?...

Brandon Webb

The voting should have went as follows...

1. Brandon Webb
2. Brad Lidge
3. Tim Lincecum
4. Ryan Dempster
5. Edinson Volquez

(I would put C.C. Sabathia on that list, but he only pitched a half of a year in the NL and I discount his eligibility because of that.)

Brandon Webb got screwed and I believe it had everything to do with his ERA. Webb finished the season with 22 wins. TWENTY-TWO WINS!!! 22 wins is pretty much unheard of now-a-days and that alone should've given him enough of an edge in the voting. But, he also did other amazing things...

- Out of his 34 starts, he got the decision in 29 of them. That is also pretty much unheard of.
- He finished the season with a record of 22-7 which was the best in the major leagues.
- He walked only 65 batters all year, which was fewer than Lincecum. Also, 5 of those walks were intentional.
- He racked up 183 strikeouts, which is good, especially considering that he's not a "strikeout pitcher".

Once again, the only reason that he got screwed was because of his ERA. And, 3.30 isn't BAD either. It's not great, but it's still pretty decent.

Also, to anyone who honestly thinks that Johan Santana should have won, you are dead wrong. He shouldn't have even been considered for the NL Cy Young.

^^^ Ha ha good one, you ha-ha-larious. Enough of that tomfoolery. Webb just made people hit the ball into a defenders glove, he didnt do nothing on his own. Lincecum had to strike everybody out and he did all of it on his own (with help from Bengie Molina.) Everything else he did on his own, except when the bullpen or defense douched and gave up the lead. Webb? Pfffft. Lincecum? Yes.:thumbsup:

ChefChiTown

^^^ Ha ha good one, you ha-ha-larious. Enough of that tomfoolery. Webb just made people hit the ball into a defenders glove, he didnt do nothing on his own. Lincecum had to strike everybody out and he did all of it on his own (with help from Bengie Molina.) Everything else he did on his own, except when the bullpen or defense douched and gave up the lead. Webb? Pfffft. Lincecum? Yes.:thumbsup:

Do you know anything about pitching or the game of baseball in general? What you accuse Webb of doing is exactly what a pitcher is supposed to do. Get people out.

Punchouts work just as well in getting outs, yes pitching to contact is much more efficient as far as pitch counts go. But I would much rather prefer a strikeout with a runner on 3rd with less than two outs. Fly ball or groundout, very likely that run will score. Besides in my opinion K's are much more exciting than "routine" outs. But I think you're right I should stop talking about baseball, I got no fucking clue what Im talking about.

ChefChiTown

Punchouts work just as well in getting outs, yes pitching to contact is much more efficient as far as pitch counts go. But I would much rather prefer a strikeout with a runner on 3rd with less than two outs. Fly ball or groundout, very likely that run will score. Besides in my opinion K's are much more exciting than "routine" outs. But I think you're right I should stop talking about baseball, I got no fucking clue what Im talking about.

It takes at least 3 pitches to strikeout a batter. In the long run, not only during one single game, but throughout the course of an entire season, strikeouts will tire a pitcher out and worsen his performance.

Ground ball pitchers can get a batter out in 1 pitch. One good pitch, forcing a ground ball to be hit...easy out. Ground ball pitchers are more effective, can pitch longer into their starts and be more reliable during the latter half of the season, as they won't be tired. That's why Brandon Webb earned a decision in 29 of his 34 starts...he wasn't tired. Lincecum, on the other hand, only earned 23 decisions.

Strikeouts are nice, they add a very short boost of momentum and they look good in the stat book, but...they can also damage a pitcher more than they can help them.

:2 cents:

I think Lincecum deserved.

But I would have had Johan right behind him.

How is the voting fone anyways? Do they take into consideration of what happened thoughout the season. For exmple. How well the player pitched against division rivals.?

Or is it just soley based on numbers?

Statistical studies have shown that once the ball is in play a pitcher has almost no control over what happens to the ball (besides knuckleballers who for whatever reason seem to have a marginally amount of control over it). If the person is put out after that it has more to do with the teams overall defense and luck. That's why somebody that gets people out by striking them out is more valuable than somebody that does the same thing with his defense all other things being equal.