• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

100 Greatest Guitarists

Civickiller80 said:
My Fave has always been Brian May from Queen...

There is someone who knows about Guitars

EVH being the best ?

My 14 yr old has his stuff down dead nuts and still cant do most of Brian Mays riffs and make them sound right.

missing alot of talent out there
and talent is where it all lies

Brian Setzer...try and play half his licks youll quit playing guitar before you get it

Jimmy Page ....Obvious

Randy Rhodes.....what a waste but talent ...wow

Billy Gibbons......obvious

That is my short list and not my favorites either

Slash

Clapton

are my faves but not the best

ME:thumbsup:

Jack White is an amazing guitarist and I totally think he deserves to be top 20. He is the best guitarist that we have seen from any recently becoming famous band. Most people don't realize that he is 30 years old and has grown into quite the blues player. He's amazing....everyone should check out his new band The Raconteurs that he formed with Brendan Benson and Jack Lawrence, Patrick Keeler of The Greenhornes (another awesome band).

1: Jimi Hendrix
2: Stevie Ray Vaughan
3: Duane Allman
4: Tony Iommi
5: Eric Clapton

I personally think Stevie Ray Vaughan is probably the best guitarist in history. I know many people consider Hendrix to be the top man but as a guitar player SRV i feel that SRV is better. He may not have the same songlist that Hendrix has but his guitar playing is far more precise and flowing than Hendrix. On top of that his improvisations are more fluent and structured than Hendrix because Hendrix often seems to really go nowhere in particular with the improvs. I personally blame Hendrixs drug problem for some of his poorer live performances. At woodstock the sloppiness of his playing is ridiculous and it's quite clear he was goosed up on something. I have another recording from a Hendrix performance and it's obvious that he is not intoxicated with anything and as a result his guitar playing is more precise and coherent. However, having said that if it wasn't for the drugs he may never have come up with songs such as Voodoo Child, Foxy Lady, Red House and all the other great songs. However, I still feel SRV is a better guitarist overall.

Another notable guitarist who was missing from the list was Jeff Buckley, the guy has a really interesting sound about him.

Yeah, Dimebag not in the top 100 is just fucking retarded! He's the reason I picked up a guitar and imo the greatest metal guitarist to walk the planet.

Steve Stevens is way under rated

eddie van halen at #70?! a living color guy? hammett at #11?! at least randy was there. but, oh my fucking god!! the white stripe dude is at #17!!!:mad:

who the hell votes for this garbage? i didnt get a ballot. did any of you?

dave_rhino

Closed Account
Face it, countdowns like this are always bullshit coz it's usually just a couple of peoples opinions. If there was a worldwide poll, then the results might be very different...

MRPIMPN4EVA

Banned
They fucked up. Eddie Van Halen should be top 20 at least.

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
I Had to stop reading it because I was crying so hard from laughter.
These "lists" are really fashionable.
I'm waiting for the top 100 lists of lists to come out.......
Anyhoo, many of you probably have not heard much Frank Zappa because the only songs radio stations ever played by him were Strictly Commercial.
But he has a huge library of music, many many live cd's have been released after his death.
If you heard him play you would know he is definatly in the top 5. A super talent.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
There is someone who knows about Guitars

EVH being the best ?

My 14 yr old has his stuff down dead nuts and still cant do most of Brian Mays riffs and make them sound right.

missing alot of talent out there
and talent is where it all lies

Brian Setzer...try and play half his licks youll quit playing guitar before you get it

Jimmy Page ....Obvious

Randy Rhodes.....what a waste but talent ...wow

Billy Gibbons......obvious

That is my short list and not my favorites either

Slash

Clapton

are my faves but not the best

ME:thumbsup:

Oh yeah.. forgot about those guys.

::heads over to ***:: :)

bigbadbrody

Banned
I think Slash needed to be on the list

Got no problems with the top two, but Eddie Van Halen #70?
add me to the wtf files on that one.

Just a question, was Rory Gallagher included?

Sadly, no.

If not why not?.

Good question.
The guy could play circles around the majority on that list.
Maybe in part he was never commercial enough?
Also, after heading up Taste then recording a series of 4 (or 5?) superb solo albums, he made a change of personnel to a more formulaic band that didn't highlight his talents the way his early stuff did --- unless you saw him live.

12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana - no comment because everything about this "I've got a guitar around my neck so I can hold me tight on it when I'm on stage" guy is already said.

24 The Edge of U2 - :scream:

60 Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien of Radiohead - :rofl:

I'm very sure, the guys who made up this list never plugged a guitar into an amp. Otherwise I will eat my Les Paul!

These lists always make me laugh .. what agenda are we using today?
How on earth can the greatest guitarist list not include a classical or flamenco player for example??
Have these people no sense of heritage?
No Andres Segovia
No Julian Bream
No Tonino Balliardo
No Paco De Lucia

No Django Reinhardt .. endlessly inventive gypsy jazz soloist
No Chet Atkins .. Mr Country Guitar
No Jimmy Nolen .. the godfather of funk guitar
No Leo Kottke or Martin Carthy .. from the folk world
No Jeff Healey ..

great to see Richard Thompson there .. totally justified

Joan Jett .. why?
Dave Davies .. why?

Much as I love Robert Randolph .. if you're going to choose a pedal steel player why not choose Speedy West ..

I absolutely agree with bodie about Rory Gallagher

Was Buddy Guy on the list or Sonny Landreth ..