• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

100 Greatest Guitarists

interesting list...i'd love to see how they compiled and ranked it...seems like they didn't rate according to skill or virtuousity but more on the popularity of the music...i also notice the list is made up of almost completely rock & blues guitarists, guess jazz guitarists are hacks...

Rolling Stone magazine does this every now and then- creating a list of the "100 best..." this or that- it's always crap. They have their favorites, and while giving a grudging nod to some others, they wouldn't dare not give tribute to their sweethearts (they have a fixation with Nirvana).

AFI is the same way with their "100 greatest" lists. Most of them suck. Their 100 greatest comedies had some sort of dedication to men dressing like women, but somehow "Ghostbusters" didn't get on the list. :dunno: Ghostbusters just might be a tad funnier than Tootsie (which I think was their #1 comedy of all time).

Eh?

:2 cents:

JW

om3ga

It's good to be the king...
I was pleasantly suprised to see the late Jimi Hendrix at number one (considering how "greatest lists" these days usually showcase the flavour-of-the-month).
Also nice to see Carlos Santana in there......

PS: Tootsie #1 comedy of all time? Someone at the AFI needs medication......

I also tend to hate these 'best of' lists. The WORST list I ever saw was something VH1 did about 'Top Pop Icons'...and OPRAH was number 1...beating out Elvis and Superman. Made me want to hurl...

Anyway...
* Eddie Van Halen #70??? No Freakin' way!!! Top 10!
* No Neil Shoen from Journey? He consistantly won Rolling Stones' own 'best guitarist' annual award back in the 80's
* No Andy Summers from the Police? He was extremely innovative!
* I'm also surprized that Phil Keaggy isn't on the list. While the old story about Jimi Hendrix calling Phil the greatest guitarist of all time is an urban myth...he IS an amazing talent.

om3ga

wlfman812 said:
I also tend to hate these 'best of' lists. The WORST list I ever saw was something VH1 did about 'Top Pop Icons'...and OPRAH was number 1...beating out Elvis and Superman. Made me want to hurl..

Oprah ahead of Supes? Say it ain't so!!!!

:eek:

"Rolling Stone" Link is'nt working for me. Just a question, was Rory Gallagher included?
If not why not?. If you have never heard of him, I suggest you check him out! He passed away a few years ago aged 47.

om3ga

wlfman812 said:

20. Britney Spears
19. The Brady Bunch
18. Bill Clinton
17. Mickey Mouse
16. Muhammad Ali
15. Jennifer Lopez
14. Steven Spielberg
13. Jerry Seinfeld
12. The Beatles
11. Friends Cast
10. Michael Jackson
9. Princess Diana
8. Michael Jordan
7. Madonna
6. Marilyn Monroe
5. Tom Cruise
4. Lucille Ball
3. Elvis Presley
2. Superman
1. Oprah Winfrey

This list sucks!!! I bet if there was another vote today, Bill Clinton & J-Lo wouldn't make the top 20....

PS: No Hank Marvin on the guitarist list? Only kidding.... :1orglaugh

Last edited:
Where are Joe Satriani an Steve Vaï ???
Without them into it, this chart is just bullshit !

Joe Sartriani and Yngwie Malmsteen are missing!

Me and the rest 99.
My rig: Ibanez RG-> Effector 13 Truly beautiful Disaster (Effector 13 Krackle Fuzz on the feedback loop)-> Digitech Digiverb-> ART Tube MP studio V3 preamp-> Hardware multitrack recorder or computer.

THis list is ABSOLUTELY rediculous.

Since when do record sales and "band du jour" = good guitar playing??
Keith Richards--joke
Jack White over EVH--MAJOR JOKE
Kurt Cobain--NOISE

If you're looking for creativity, note holding, speed, accuracy, HERE are some of your best (some of the name spelling may be off):

Rudolph Shenker
George Lynch (one of the most underrated guitar players of all-time)
Warren DiMartini
Steve Vai
Kurt Hammet
Slash

mirdrin said:
lets be honest with each other! Dimebag should have been #1! The top ten should include Kirk Hammet,Slash,Jimi,SRV,Rory Gallagher... cats like those!

:confused: Actually to each there own, I here good things about him. :glugglug:

Last edited:
Seems a little too classic rock for me, but you cant deny the obvious like Jimi or Pete Townshend. I liked the mention of Greg Ginn of Black Flag, Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine, D. Boon of the Minutemen and Tom Verlaine of Television but I would add Bob Mould of Husker Du, Will Sargent of Echo and the Bunnymen and Johnny Marr of The Smiths to round things out a bit. These guys have 20 years on there back of orginal music...

I am also very displeased with Eddie VanHalen being ranked so low, along with Neil Young. Eddie should have been top 10 and Neil top 20. I was happy with John Frusciante ranked as high as he was though. Frusciante is a musical genius who keeps getting better with time.

Peter Gazinya said:
I got to the part where Stevie Ray Vaughn was lower than Eric Clapton, and then I stopped reading. Actually I got to the part where SRV wasn't number 1 and started to lose interest immediately. Eddie Van Halen 70th COME ON! Mark Knopfler (as previously stated) should be in the top 20. Carlos Santana behind Keith Richards and Kurt Cobain (who shouldn't even be on the top 1000 list). Steve Morse wasn't even there. John McGlaughin should be in the top 20. Oh, never mind.

Toally with you on SRV #1, partner. and we lost Stevie just as he was getting confident enough to write and record his own tunes. Tragically, also as he had gotten off of booze and drugs.

What I liked about him almost as much as his playing was his humility. I saw a documentary on him and getting him to talk about himself and his own skill was like pulling teeth. He was always talking about how he had learned so much from others. Always propping up his arguably hack brother Jimmie. A genius AND a class act. Humanity in general lost value the day he died.

My favorite quote of his: When asked to describe his style, he said,"I play like I'm busting out of jail".

If you get the chance to check out the DVD of Live at the Mocambo (sp?) from early in his career, you see a guy whose body is totally posessed by the music as he plays.

RIP SRV

haha Rolling Stone greatest guitar list? :1orglaugh people been debating that list for a while. I want to know the team that compiled that list. Kurt Kobain at 12? Roy Buchanan at 57? hahaha. But greatest guitarist is totally subjective so you can debate this till the end of time, but Kurt Kobain does suck at guitar. My guitar heros are Eric Clapton, Albert King, Al Di Meola (Both not in top 100??? :crash: ) and John Frusciante.