• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Greatest Guitarist Of All Time

Pete Townsend is my fav, but can't dispute Jimmy. Kevin Shields, Johnny Marr and Bob Mould are my other favs

Robert fucking Fripp, you idiots!

Adrian Belew. Alex Skolnick, John Petrucci, Stanley Jordan, John McLaughlin, Ry Cooder, Elliot Randall, Tommy Tedesco, Robbin Ford, Reb Beach, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, John Sykes, Tony McAlpine, Jennifer Batton, Dick Wagner, Steve Hunter, Skunk Baxter, Gary Moore, Gary Howie, Paul MF Gilbert, these top 100 lists are absurd. There are too many talented guitarists out there that are all amazing talents. To say one is the best, or 100 are the best makes my head hurt. I would give anything to have half of the talent that the top 1000 guitarists you could name have.

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND
I expected to see Dave Mustaine, and not James Hetfield, or any of the Lead Guitarists of Megadeth.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
No Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, Steve Clark, Phil Collen, Vivian Campbell, or Steve Vai?

And what about the bassists? ... John Entwhistle, Roger Waters, Paul McCartney, Phil Lynott, Terry "Geezer" Butler, Lemmy Kilmister, Rick Savage, Jack Casady, Jack Bruce, John Paul Jones, Michael Anthony, John McVie, Ronnie Lane, Chas Chandler, Nick Lowe, Phil Lesh, Roy Estada, Bill Wyman, Steve Harris, Robert Trujillo, Dave Ellefson, Geddy Lee, Greg Lake, and Greg Riddley to name just a few.

This list is pitiful. :facepalm:

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND
Like the rest of them.

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
I'll add Ritchie Blackmore too even though I have been guilty of using his solos as an excuse for a bathroom break. They're usually long enough for number two.

Deep Purple earned it's fanfare but Rainbow was so underrated, even the Joe Lynn Turner era.

They got Clapton and Hendrix about where I would have them. I'd have SRV higher than 12. When I didn't see Steve Vai or Joe Satriani in the top 50 I decided not to waste my time on the second 50.

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
Best guitarist I ever saw in concert was Ricky Skaggs. If it has strings, he can play it.

Maybe they should call their lists "Most popular" guitarist. I mean how are guys like John Petrucci, vai, paul gilbert, satch etc not on the list. If it was really a list of 100 greatest?

Shifty

O.G.
Really, who are we to bitch? :dunno:

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
Well, #1 was correct. Everything after that is debatable.

RS doesn't have a lot of credibility when it comes to things like "ratings." I went through the top 40 and had enough. Was Eddie Cochran in there somewhere? Anyway, seeing Prince at 33 was shit. He is top 10 all time WITHOUT question.