• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Word lessons or what misuse of a word drives you crazy?

I can tolerate misuse of ACTUAL words, what really gripes me is making up words. The media and advertisers are good for that. For example: Febuany (Subway)
YOLO is another. Or misuse of a real word as slang like "ratchet." I want to round house kick people hard in the face Chuck Norris style everytime I hear someone say that shit!

I guess I didn't really realize it,but that shit kind of pisses me off too!

It's like they just make up words to sound hip and cool to a younger generation or something,but what it's really doing is perpetuating stupidity and making us Americans look more and more stupid.

It's one thing to make up a word like that while joking around with friends in conversation,it's another thing to completely base a multimillion dollar marketing campaign on it.

VeronicaVice

Official Checked Star Member
When people type "could of" or "should of" when they mean "could have" and "should have."

Oh, and an entire nation seems to think "I could care less" means something doesn't matter. Well, if you could care less, that implies you do care. The phrase you are looking for is "I couldn't care less."

Omg this. Please take note, everyone.

'Interstitial non-stoichiometric'. Too many people think this term only relates to transition metal compounds, when in fact it doesn't.

[B][URL="https://www.freeones.com/maggie-green said:
Maggie Green[/URL][/B], post: 7555373, member: 346743"]When people say irregardless.
and co-conspirator too....no fucktard you are a conspirator!

I hate people that write "alot"

It's "a" "lot" it's two words, not one word.

I also hate people that text me with urban, street, hip-hop shit: they as in dey, them as in dem, man as in mayne, main, or mang.... really? You know what I mean.

I hate people that write "alot"

It's "a" "lot" it's two words, not one word.

I also hate people that text me with urban, street, hip-hop shit: they as in dey, them as in dem, man as in mayne, main, or mang.... really? You know what I mean.

Dey do dat alot to me too.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Fixing Too Do

Obvious what will depending on the situation.

The correct universal usage is "Fixin' to". It fits with everything here in the south. "I'm fixin' to.... (fill in appropriate predicate here)". I use it all the time. Everybody does. Also, "I reckon" is a very common reference that simply means "I figure" or "I guess". I use that all the time as well. It's just part of the colloquial language in this region. It shouldn't bother anyone from another region any more than local colloquialisms from there should bother a southerner.

Ace Boobtoucher

Founder and Captain of the Douchepatrol
"Assault weapon." No such thing. It was a phrase made up by politicians in 1994 to make blanket statements about every type of firearm and to broaden gun control.

(After further research, it was 1988.)

Last edited:

Harpsman

Light one for Me
People saying "pacific" instead of "specific". A common one here. Drives me nuts.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
"Assault weapon." No such thing. It was a phrase made up by politicians in 1994 to make blanket statements about every type of firearm and to broaden gun control.

(After further research, it was 1988.)

I've always seen the Sturmgewehr ("storm rifle") 44 as the original assault weapon. I don't have a problem with the term, when it's properly applied. What I have a problem with are the dopey, ignorant, lazy journalists and politicians who apply the term to any and all semi-auto rifles that (just) look like select fire (necessary to be an assault weapon) true assault weapons. According to them, it was possible to buy "machine guns" at Walmart. Wonder where I was when that was going on??? But yeah, that misuse gets on my nerves too. I have a car that looks like a rally/race car... but it's not a rally/race car. And they'll get my car when they pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands. ;) :D

This one will only mean something to the gearheads here, but one that gets on my nerves is the description of a GT (grand touring/2+2) car as a sports car. Even worse is when they describe a 4 door sedan or "shooting brake" wagon as a sports car. I'm guessing Red XXX is the only person here who will nod in agreement on that one. Oh well...

Harpsman

Light one for Me
Office speak e.g. Close of play, cascading info etc. Let me run that by you.
The mix up between there, their and they're. People saying II seen or I done. The usual shite.

Literally.

Use it right, people, or I will kill you. Literally.

I've seen people try and justify using literally in place of figuratively by suggesting that it's an act of hyperbole. After a lengthy debate with someone where I was initially against the idea, I found myself unsure at the end.