• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

What are you listening to right now?

I love Zep, but they did a lotta adapting....

As someone who was initially not very welcoming of lifting and reworking ideas from other artists, insisting on maximum originality, I had reservations about the way rappers do things, taking samples from works by other artists, but then I remembered and had to remind myself since that moment that, yes, there were the Zeps, of which I was a bit of a fan in high school, ... and then there Renaissance, who lifted from more classical composers than God can count.

If you put your own spin on something, maybe something different will come out.

That being said, "Workinonit" sounds to me like J Dilla trying to do something of his own with 10cc's "Worst Band in the World" and coming up with mostly, well, freaking 10cc.

After Kashmir and Ten Years Gone …

I have always enjoyed …

Those were my highlights many years ago. "Custard Pie" is up there for me. One of the filthiest things they've ever written, with a dumb yet crunchy riff.

If you put your own spin on something, maybe something different will come out.
Renaissance was all about their lead singer. She did better with a solo career. They had one hit: Northern Lights. Aside from that, nobody even cared if they stole from God. It was prog after all. And prog gets all the accolades of a science fair winner. I'm all about using...with permission...the songs and styles of others. But, you know what? Why not try for originality? I've heard a lot of hip-hop and pop tunes that use old rock riffs. Okay. But what about creativity? It starts with nothing. That's why it's creativity.
Elvis stole from classical music. Nineteen fifties singers stole from the blues and jazz. That's why I respect the song writers who create, not reimagine. Look at all of the Eighties reboots in music and movies nowadays. It's Y generational, man. Yeah. It's always been done. But to this extent? No.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Speaking of good songwriters ...

Glenn Tilbrook and Chris Difford along with Jools Holland, John Bentley, and Gilson Lavis and an occasional Paul Carrack

As the lead singer

Glenn ..

Chris ..

Glenn ..

Paul ..

Heard this at the local Shell gas station / convenience store, and it sparked a memory of watching that episode of "Cheers" where Frasier recites the chorus. I wanted to get the song out of my head so I played it again on my phone so that I could focus on listening to stand-up comedy.

... Oh! ... Speaking of stand-up: Tom McCaffrey - "Making a List of Celebrities". Too bad a lot of his stuff is not on YouTube.

Massive Attack - "Unfinished Sympathy". Always puts me in a good mood ... with some booze, of course:

^ I like moments like that - when a thing sort of randomly plays something for you and you are intrigued or engrossed or blown away. Reminds me of high school and college years when I used to listen to Pandora, Last.fm, and Spotify.

As for me, ... Hölderlin - "Traum":

Stevie Wonder - "All in Love is Fair".

This is becoming my favorite Stevie Wonder album over Songs in the Key of Life.

_