• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The Dark Knight broke the all-time opening

great, not. The more money it makes, the bigger budget the next one will get, the more the emphasis will be on action/explosions, the less on story. There is a reason why sequels are usually not as good as the originals; unless the sequel was written before the original became big.

Great sci fi is about great writing first. Everything else is a distant second.
Actually, I thought the story this time around was almost as good - almost as good - as Batman Begins. There were some 'huh? what the?' bits in the middle and some parts right before the ending was a little let-downish... but on the whole, it was great.

My wife and I really, really, really enjoyed the movie. After forking over hard cash for such nonsense like "Wanted" and a so-so "Hancock", this movie blew us away.

Happily, I might add.

I am SO GLAD Nolan (and the writers and actors) rescued this franchise from the horrid direction Schumacher had taken.

cheers,

I am probably the only one in the world who prefered Two Face to the Joker. Don't get me wrong, the Joker was amazing, but the whole hype of the movie was about how great Heath was in the role and how amazing the Joker was. There was no way it could live up to what everyone was saying for me. Of course, like I said, it was amazing. From the magic trick, to him dressing like a nurse and blowing the hospital up (And then looking back puzzeled before blowing it up some more), it was perfect.

Chances are, Two Face was better for me becuase no one hyped Eckhart's performance. He was always expected to be second fiddle to the Joker, and hell, I didn't even expect to see Two Face outside of the final scene. Around the 90-minute mark, everything involving Dent became the best parts of the movie.

I really liked Eckhard in this movie as well and feel that his performance is going to be very under appreciated because of Ledger's death.

By the way,I have what I think to be a pretty good plot synopsis for the 3rd movie.If you want to read it,I'll IM it to you and you can tell me what you think.

now while i highly doubt that they would do it what you any of you make as considerations to fill the role of the joker moving forward. like i said, I highly doubt they would touch this character again thanks to ledger's amazing portrayal, but you all know how hollywood can be soooooooo who would be a replacement that could do it justice and not fuck it up and bastardize it?

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
It's not exactly a matter of "They shouldn't recast the Joker cause Heath was awesome and we need to respect him". The Joker lived through the movie, so chances are Nolan has a plan for a third movie that involves him. In that case, they need to recast the character. As cliche as it is, Heath would want the show to go on. Of course, if the Joker isn't needed for a sequel, they can leave him alone. But if he is, they need to recast him. It would only be for a minute, anyway.

And Zell, if you could PM that, that would work. The computer I am on currntly does not have IM.

Actually, I thought the story this time around was almost as good - almost as good - as Batman Begins. There were some 'huh? what the?' bits in the middle and some parts right before the ending was a little let-downish... but on the whole, it was great.

My wife and I really, really, really enjoyed the movie. After forking over hard cash for such nonsense like "Wanted" and a so-so "Hancock", this movie blew us away.
btw, I should have clarified that I meant that I didn't think it was great that the movie made an outrageous amount of money.
I haven't seen it yet. But I here it is as you said; very good, but a bit weird and not quite as good as 'Batman Begins'.
I am SO GLAD Nolan (and the writers and actors) rescued this franchise from the horrid direction Schumacher had taken.
Agreed 1000%.

i thought dark knight was fantastic. heath ledger as the joker definitely made this movie tho. it was masterful. i think if someone had played the joker, it would not have been NEARLY as good. it was strange at times, but no serious complaints. 9.5 out of 10

Best movie I've ever seen in theatres and one of the most amazing movies I've seen ever. Heath did the best job I've seen for a villain especailly the greatest villain of all time.......................THEJOKER! The Ledger family should be proud.

slowhand

Closed Account
I thought it might go over it looks like a great movie. :thumbsup:

Violator79

Take a Hit, Spunker!
The Hype for TDK was off the charts, but thankfully, and apparently, the film actually LIVED UP to the hype.

Unlike last year's Spidey 3.

Nolan + Bale + Ledger = Kicking ass at box office.

This was talked about on the Best Movies of 08 thread, but I wanted the bring up the discussion here.

We were talking about possible villains/ actors/ plots for upcoming batman movies.

I think they definitely need to bring in a new love interest for batman, and that is the perfect chance to introduce the classic-storyline of the femme fatale. Catwoman of course is the logical fit, but since it's already been done, I think going into a different direction would be better.

They could have Talia, which would be a way to bring back Ras Al Goul. that's the thing about him, you can't kill the freakin guy.

Or even better for the next movie you could have the joker escape and have a bunch of schemes that batman thinks are being done by him, but it turns out that they are actually being done by a female clown, Joker-worshiping Harlequin, whose double identity as a psychologist could be profiling the joker and "helping" with the investigation.

And because of their similarities in schemes, mistaken for the Joker's work, the real mastermind behind it could be the Riddler.

I think if they do a third one, they should bring the Penguin back, Phillip Seymore Hoffman was brought up in the press to play him which sounds like a good idea to me.

I loved the movie.. I went to the mid night showing and it was fucking great!

There might be "Spoilerish" talk here--if you haven't seen the film yet--read at your own peril!

My thoughts today--
1. I don't want to see anyone "take over" the role of The Joker in the next film. I think if Nolan had "re-edited" the ending, he would've been "boo'd" out of town and he is clearly too intelligent to pander to a studio or do something that is just stupid. Heath Ledger did a fantastic job as The Joker. He created a villain which had a mythical, idol-like status among the criminal-minded and the lunatics in the film world. Especially later on, it seems The Joker is able to recruit zealots rather than typical "henchmen." It's a big step in the presentation of a truly powerful villain.

2. "Two-Face"--If he comes back--I would accept it because I agree with most people here---Aaron Eckhard did a hell of a job in that role and the character is as interesting and menacing as The Joker. I don't see it happening though.

3. I want "Bane" and "The Riddler"--as I said in the other thread--Give me Clive Owen as Riddler and The Rock as Bane--that would own huge.

4. I agree that we need a female character in the 3rd film--it will be hard to bring in Poison Ivy or Cat Woman though...I'm not sure how Nolan can bring these two in though. They are a little too much tied-into "fantasy."

5. The Riddler is a much easier "reality" character. He constructs elaborate thefts and schemes and plots and leaves Batman "the clues" for him, Alfred and Lucious to solve, basically. They can be violent kidnapping crimes or "bomb in a bank" type stuff..urban terrorism like which The Joker started doing...basically.

Last edited:
The Dark Knight movie exceeded all my expectations as a serious Batman fan .....I put this one at number one with the 1989 version at number two.

As far as "realistic" versions of villians to be utilized for the third installment there are many from Batmans Rogues Gallery that can make it better should be Hugo Strange , Hush and Catwoman. The storyline from the comic book translated to Nolans vision to the big screen can make for an exciting script.

Remember that Nolan has taken Ras Al' Ghul, Scarecrow , Two-Face and Joker into more believable characters that would exist in todays world if there were such a thing as Superheroes/Arch-Villians

I could see a Mr. Freeze (Daniel Craig) villain if he carries a military-grade weapon, and if he's an Arms Dealer. I don't think the cryogenic suit could be translated to Nolan's world. The character would have to be changed a lot. No doubt about that one.

Catwoman would be tough to make realistic. It would be worthwhile to try so we wouldn't have that pathetic Halle Berry campy/kitsch dominatrix catwoman image in our minds...

Titsrock said
Catwoman would be tough to make realistic. It would be worthwhile to try so we wouldn't have that pathetic Halle Berry campy/kitsch dominatrix catwoman image in our minds...[/QUOTE]

.....I disagree that Catwoman could made into a believable character and here is why......Selina Kyle is a cat burglar and they do exist in the real world....She can be taken to a higher plane of criminal/ ally for Batman based on what most cat burglars do....Nolan can use her in all sorts of high tech, security or bank crimes that would force Batman to confront her and perhaps reveal his identity. There are tons of stories that can play her strengths without making her campy.