• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The Dark Knight broke the all-time opening

I think it did open during the holiday season. Apparently it's timing was perfect, and everything else is history. Wanna know which movie finally knocked Titanic out of the #1 slot that following April?

Lost in Space.

I repeat ....

Lost in Space

Now I love the original tv series, as well as Mimi Roger's natural funbags, but that movie completely sucked ass. I'm sure there were other films much more deserving of knocking down Titanic thru the months of Jan-Mar than that piece of horseshit, but that's the way it goes.

Isnt it obvious why Titanic became the number 1 highest grossing film of all time, Women, going by themselves, then with family then with friends, thats why movie studios always try to make a movie that will have some interest to the female viewer, even when there shouldnt be (no offense). Female movie goers are much more powerful than male movie goers because if they love a film so much they will go and see it again and again and again.

I shall give you one example:

Dirty Dancing, probably the worst movie ever made but its one of the most popular movies ever because women love it.

Spleen

Banned?
i agree BB, my sister went to see it 10 times in the cinema, and so did all of her friends. then she got it on video and watched it until it barely played. and now whenever its on tv, she still fucking watches it.

does she think that maybe after the 500th time, the boat wont sink?

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/weekend.htm

Warner Bros. will see another terrific hold for its runaway smash The Dark Knight which could slip by just 35%. That would give the superhero film around $10.5M which would lift the overall domestic tally to $489M. The $500M barrier should be broken by Labor Day. The studio's animated title Star Wars: The Clone Wars will suffer a steep tumble since there is no real buzz to keep it going and hardcore fans have already made it out. Look for a 55% decline to about $6.5M pushing the ten-day tally to $26M.

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/weekend.htm

Hollywood's biggest superhero ever followed in fourth as The Dark Knight pulled in an estimated $10.3M in its sixth weekend. Sliding only 37%, the Warner Bros. megasmash pushed its record cume up to $489.2M and should surpass the $500M mark next weekend. The magic continued overseas with an estimated $34M from 62 markets this weekend sending the international total soaring to $381.2M. With the global tally now standing at a towering $870M, The Dark Knight should easily become only the fourth movie in history to top $1 billion at the worldwide box office following Titanic, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Petra has nicer tits than any of us.

edit: wtf, I posted this in ANOTHER TOPIC!

How'd it get here?

I hated the last batman movie. Bleh.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
It doesn't look like it will cross the billion dollar marker until the rerelease in December. Kind of surprised by that.

Were you expecting less?? It kinda was the movie talk of the summer.

The Dark Knight Score Disqualified
http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=3911#more-3911

Rejecting the Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard score for The Dark Knight is nothing new per the Academy’s usual protocol. Anyone with high hopes of bringing home Oscar gold often makes sure their ducks are lined up in a row. But if the film is a bit of a fluke and takes the world by storm it may go to Oscar and find itself not qualified for a few of their bizarro categories. That is why this is happening and that is why, for instance Waltz With Bashir isn’t going to the Docu race. Movies that just happen and aren’t planned to make an Oscar run leave many dangling, unresolved pieces behind - the right amount of screening time in advance, the right amount of producers on board, etc.

But what interests me more about all of this is how the Oscarwatching community is often divided on one big movie. You have people who doubt The Dark Knight will be nominated. I see that Kris Tapley, for instance, even though he’s a Batman obsessive and Nolan fan, doesn’t have Dark Knight in his top five at the Buzzmeter, which has currently launched (more on that in a later post). The Dark Knight is a risky prediction, to be sure. It could go either way. Funny, though, folks are writing about it as a tech-only nominee simply because the score was disqualified. By the way, the Buzzmeter has The Dark Knight at number five currently.

The Dark Knight is a oddball film that will require more than just its box office take to break the top five; voters are going to have to A) love it, B) not feel stupid voting for it. A friend of mine defines the Oscar voters as people who want to be well thought of when they fill out their ballots. That is, sophistication meets industry insider knowledge meets a bit of rebellion; no one wants to be thought of as easy lay sell.

I often get letters from people who accuse me of getting that wrong, that AMPAS voters really don’t care what people think and they vote with their hearts. But it really isn’t true because human nature dictates otherwise. We do care what the rest of the tribe thinks about our choices, otherwise why would we drive that car or use that cell phone? Our choices matter because they reflect who we are. Yes, they vote with their hearts too. They must really love a movie to give it multiple nominations. Will they love The Dark Knight, which continues to feel like, easily, one of the best five of the year?

On the one hand, there is an immediate reaction to it being a comic book movie, or a sequel. When The Departed was the big surprise hit of the year many people also thought it could never get nominated because it was a remake. These kinds of rules get broken all the time - it just matters whether the film is good enough. $500 million tells us people thought it was good enough. Are the Academy voters really going to say everyone else was wrong about the second highest grossing film since Titanic? It’s possible.

They won’t vote it in on the money alone. In Dave Karger Entertainment Weekly Oscar predictions article where he put Frost/Nixon, Doubt and Benjamin Button in the top three he also put Christopher Nolan in the Best Director category. If Nolan is a DGA nominee, Heath Ledger a SAG nominee, the costumes, art direction, cinematography, sound, sound editing are all strong contenders how far away can a Best Picture nod be? If it’s going to be one of those that nominates the director without a picture it would a Black Hawk Down scenario, which is also possible. But Black Hawk Down wasn’t the runaway phenomenon hit that The Dark Knight has been.

Also, in the past Best Picture nominees that weren’t period piece dramas often got there because of some technological advancement. What is the Dark Knight’s? IMAX. It might not be the first film to show on IMAX but it is most definitely the first film to move that technology forward in any significant way. The film has revived and excited the format, the industry and may do with the Oscars themselves. Are they really going to pull a John McCain and thumb their nose at technology like that?

Nothing against it.

I thought Ironman was better.