• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The Best/Smartest Show on Television - HBO's "The Wire"

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Tribute to the King! Indeed! :clap:

Indeed! :thumbsup:

Omar was easily one of the greatest TV characters to be written in years, if not ever. Several years ago, I read that they wrote him as a homosexual so that he wouldn't become a 'hood hero. I'm not sure about that. But I do know that you seldom see these types of characters written and portrayed with the incredible depth that we got to see on The Wire. I like shows where good & bad aren't written as black & white. Life is full of grey areas. And that (IMO) is one of the things that made The Wire such a brilliant show.

Big Poppa Pump

- My Name Is My Name -
Indeed! :thumbsup:

Omar was easily one of the greatest TV characters to be written in years, if not ever. Several years ago, I read that they wrote him as a homosexual so that he wouldn't become a 'hood hero. I'm not sure about that. But I do know that you seldom see these types of characters written and portrayed with the incredible depth that we got to see on The Wire. I like shows where good & bad aren't written as black & white. Life is full of grey areas. And that (IMO) is one of the things that made The Wire such a brilliant show.

Good points there. The homosexuality didn't really change Omar's hero status, same as the character Adebisi in OZ, (although prison was the reason he had sex with men) I was a little surprised by it when I first watched The Wire, but it helps to make him different. It's the character's and the actor who plays him charisma and lines that make him so unforgettable IMO. :cool:

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
yeah but it was a little far fetched.
I'd rather he wasn't gay.
I mean whats the odds of a guy like Omar being gay, you know in the real world?

I wish they actually focused a little more on his character in the series, although he got his share of exposure, i wish he had more.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Marlo is another outstanding character IMO. So young but so cold and focused.

"Oh, most definitely!" :D

Yeah, Marlo was another amazing character. I don't know who I could even compare him to. Michael Corleone in Godfather II, maybe? :dunno: Course, maybe that would go to Stringer Bell - another favorite character of mine. But Marlo was street smart, careful, calculating and completely ruthless. He definitely had a mix of Avon and Stringer in him - but even more so. He just didn't have Stringer's polish or desire to go "uptown". I loved the finale when he could have just taken his millions and kicked back, but he just couldn't do it. Kind of like Omar, he had to go back to the streets.

Hell, I liked SO many of the characters on this show. Other than Carcetti, there weren't really any characters that I didn't like. And the thing with Carcetti was more to do with the weak acting by Aida Gillen. Even the people who hadn't acted that much (like Snoop) were better actors than that guy. But the show was so incredibly well written! :bowdown: I remember I was going out with this girl when the episode with Wallace getting shot was on. She really let the water works fly when Bodie and the other kid gunned him down. And to be honest, it was all I could do not to get teary eyed myself. That was a really sad episode. And of course, I was hoping that D'Angelo would turn his life around too. But... :(

IMO, what made The Wire so different and so great is the way the writers took characters, that every other show would just write using the stereotypical Hollywood formula, and made them damn near real. I mean, there were times when I almost felt like I was watching a documentary instead of a TV show!

The only show that I would put in the same class as The Wire is Breaking Bad. That's another show that has amazing writing, and it will definitely screw with your head too.

DrSoles

Ph.D in Female Solesiology
One of my favorite scenes.

"Worrying about you be like wondering if the sun goin' come up, ain't about to wile out over it"

"Even if I miss, I can't miss"

^ Oh yeah. Hubba! Hubba!

I mean whats the odds of a guy like Omar being gay, you know in the real world?

That's a good question. :tongue:

ace_sgtom_wqdglz1q.gif

The answer will depend on how much you've been manipulated by false sterotypes and propoganda we are all fed by the government and media.

I would image the underworld may have about the same percentage of gay men as the military and operates under its own version of "Don't ask, don't tell".

In reality being gay is as random as being short sighted and wearing glasses, living with dyslexia (my pre spell check spelling was 'deslexia' lol) or being left handed. These are not life style choices.

If any man is ruthless and instils enough fear in others, he can become a gangtsa. His sexuality is almost irrelevant. Omar could have been based on Ronnie Kray.

Ronnie Kray (the older and more violent, dominant twin) was well known to be gay. If he wanted to fuck you and you refused, your body might be found in a hole the following morning. I'm being 'deadly' serious here. :eek: :eek:

Anyone can be a gangsta. :2 cents: Some have said President (w) Bush was a gangsta. :tongue:

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
And what would a next season look like?

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
One of my favorite scenes.

"Worrying about you be like wondering if the sun goin' come up, ain't about to wile out over it"

"Even if I miss, I can't miss"

Right before they take out Stringer, no?

"You need a Day of the Jackal type motherfucker basically to do some shit like that, not a rumble tumble ***** like Slim"

Love, love, love that line!

Fantastic writing.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
And it was the beginning of the end for the Barksdale crew.

I think Omar has his best lines in this scene where he robs Marlo. Marlo's "Wear it in health." was also pretty badass. Man I miss this show. :(

DrSoles

Ph.D in Female Solesiology
"You need a Day of the Jackal type motherfucker basically to do some shit like that, not a rumble tumble ***** like Slim"

Love, love, love that line!

Fantastic writing.

Slim is one smooth cat.
"Murder ain't no thing, but this here is some assassination shit"

PirateKing

█▀█▀█ █ &#9608
"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase. It's all in the game though, right"