• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Should there just be a "Mass shooting in the US" sticky thread?

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
There is talk in Ohio about Second Amendment sanctuary, which I'm fine with. I have made my feelings about gun laws VERY clear over the years...no need to say it all again.

I find it very disturbing at the thought of law abiding citizens, paying a toll, because of the actions of others. I also find it unacceptable when officials drop the ball like they have with the last couple of shootings, that might have been avoided. As a staunch proponent of gun ownership, these acts of violence sicken me too. Much like everyone else that complains about being judged by the actions of others, in there "group".
Good post and thank you for contributing. You state the position well.

Law-abiding citizens are paying a toll because of the action of others. Ten (presumably) law-abiding people in a Boulder grocery store were killed by one of these 'others'. Who has the superior rights - gun owners or potential victims?

I don't judge gun owners as a group. As a Western PA native, I grew up around hunters. In Colorado I live among gun owners now. Last summer my neighbor was talking about taking out a couple raccoons. Fine with me.

Forget taming it, let's just even try to understand it.
As in, how do you even have that many more shootings during a pandemic?
Wait until this summer my friend. I hope to be wrong, but my feeling is this will be a very bad summer. The pent up frustration from COVID is set to be unleashed.

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
Personally, I think all these shootings are the result of 2 separate things.

1) Conspiracy. these shooters have some commonality, or contact with some U.S. government agency, and have been triggered to act. The more they push for gun control, the more this happens, and it seems to become concentrated during the efforts to enact laws, and restrict rights.

2) The American public is just plain and simply fucking done. Fed up, had enough, and completely unable to except the way OUR elected employees are doing there jobs. Most of us are fed up, and just don't think it's right that people like nancy pelosi is worth over 100 million dollars, but she just wants a little more from everybody, to help those that HAVE NEVER tried to put something back. They're tired of trump whining about being cheated, while he cheats. The small percentage of Americans that have busted their asses ALL OF THEIR LIVES, want to be able to live a decent life, they have EARNED, they don't want to work longer, or harder to support people that feel nothing but self entitlement. Perhaps a good solution would be for EVERY SINGLE ONE of our elected employees donates a years salary, to the cause. Donate a stinking 5% of your net worth to the cause, and then, DON'T declare it, so it's really charitable. Maybe show how you're not a fucking hypocrite, and you stand behind your principles. I realize not all of these tragic events occur because of my theories. You can NEVER account for that dumb fuck that can't stand his girl friend leaving him. He might fall under the other category....where the cops dropped the ball. Maybe it happened because of another reason I haven't posted. I wish it didn't. I enjoy the shooting sports. More importantly, I hate to see people hurt, that don't deserve to be hurt.

Ace Boobtoucher

Founder and Captain of the Douchepatrol
Liberals have been moving the goalposts on this topic for a generation. When those asshole Clintons got the Brady Bill passed they specifically redefined a mass shooting to be an incident involving six or more victims from three victims. They did this to make it seem like their bullshit agenda was working. There will never be a sound or rational solution to this problem, at least not legislatively, anyway. Criminals do not follow the law. The only people affected by changes in the law are people who care about the consequences of their actions.

Some estimates state that up to two million violent crimes are averted every year in the United States by armed citizens. I don't know how accurate that is because I've seen that number as low as a half million. But it seems to me that in a country of 350,000,000 people and there are more than 250,000.000 firearms owned privately and all those people were crazy our country would be constantly hovering around 100,000,000 people. I know that would make Will happier.

Attachments

• annual_death_rate_mass_shootingsjpg.jpg
    annual_death_rate_mass_shootingsjpg.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 145
  • frequency_of_mass_shootings_by_countryjpg.jpg
    frequency_of_mass_shootings_by_countryjpg.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 144
  • gun_homicidejpg (1).jpg
    gun_homicidejpg (1).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 136
  • gun_homicidejpg.jpg
    gun_homicidejpg.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 146

gmase

The only people affected by changes in the law are people who care about the consequences of their actions.
Isn't that true of any law? Using that argument we should just stop legislating anything. Personally, doing away with speed limits would have helped me immensely over time. Drunk-driving laws should be rolled back too. Let's go back to the 70s when cops would give you a ride home or let you call a friend. Plus, we've all seen the person with 8 or 9 DUIs still out there driving.

You are correct, there is no legislative answer.

NPR discusses the self-defense argument: https://www.npr.org/2018/04/13/602143823/how-often-do-people-use-guns-in-self-defense
(Yes, I know it skews toward the liberal side. Some interesting points are raised though.)

As for your charts, here's one through 2016. It's only gotten worse from there.

14823.jpeg

Theopolis Q. Hossenffer

Every Nation Needs a God-Emperor!
Liberals have been moving the goalposts on this topic for a generation. When those asshole Clintons got the Brady Bill passed they specifically redefined a mass shooting to be an incident involving six or more victims from three victims. They did this to make it seem like their bullshit agenda was working. There will never be a sound or rational solution to this problem, at least not legislatively, anyway. Criminals do not follow the law. The only people affected by changes in the law are people who care about the consequences of their actions.

Some estimates state that up to two million violent crimes are averted every year in the United States by armed citizens. I don't know how accurate that is because I've seen that number as low as a half million. But it seems to me that in a country of 350,000,000 people and there are more than 250,000.000 firearms owned privately and all those people were crazy our country would be constantly hovering around 100,000,000 people. I know that would make Will happier.
Two things. Not even pretending to call you incorrect Ace but it seems to me that most of the time, no always for sure, but most of the time a Good Guy with the gun in never where the shooter is. And two I have read that most of the guns in America are owned by about 33% of the populace.

Ace Boobtoucher

Two things. Not even pretending to call you incorrect Ace but it seems to me that most of the time, no always for sure, but most of the time a Good Guy with the gun in never where the shooter is. And two I have read that most of the guns in America are owned by about 33% of the populace.
Estimates show that between 500,000 and 2,000,000 crimes every year are thwarted by armed civilians. And the vast majority of those cases are resolved without shooting anyone. Take it for what it is.

I remember when a draw Mohammed day event in Texas was going to be the target of a pissed off Muslim and he didn't make it to the front door of the entrance because of an armed good guy. Or that church shooter in Texas where one of the ushers pulled his concealed pistol and landed a shot in the perpetrator's grape after he had shot a couple people, but the shooting ended there. Or that Crawford, Texas shooting that would have been way worse if an armed passerby hadn't intervened. Maybe the moral of the story is don't go to Texas.

There are incidents that I've dealt with here when I know if the victim hadn't been armed that they more than likely would be dead. Me included.

gmase

Estimates show that between 500,000 and 2,000,000 crimes every year are thwarted by armed civilians. And the vast majority of those cases are resolved without shooting anyone. Take it for what it is.

I remember when a draw Mohammed day event in Texas was going to be the target of a pissed off Muslim and he didn't make it to the front door of the entrance because of an armed good guy. Or that church shooter in Texas where one of the ushers pulled his concealed pistol and landed a shot in the perpetrator's grape after he had shot a couple people, but the shooting ended there. Or that Crawford, Texas shooting that would have been way worse if an armed passerby hadn't intervened. Maybe the moral of the story is don't go to Texas.

There are incidents that I've dealt with here when I know if the victim hadn't been armed that they more than likely would be dead. Me included.
You seem to enjoy the militant side of society. I prefer the less militant one I created for myself.

Your estimate of 500k-2m is someone pulling numbers numbers out of their ass.

NPR discusses the self-defense argument: https://www.npr.org/2018/04/13/602143823/how-often-do-people-use-guns-in-self-defense
(Yes, I know it skews toward the liberal side. Some interesting points are raised though.)

Ace Boobtoucher

You seem to enjoy the militant side of society. I prefer the less militant one I created for myself.

Your estimate of 500k-2m is someone pulling numbers numbers out of their ass.

You cited NPR. There's your problem. I prefer my news from reputable sources. You know, sources that aren't actively toeing the democrat party line.
https://www.police1.com/gun-legisla...st-solution-to-gun-violence-7uwWgZ75iwWz9vI9/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1916643001
https://www.nap.edu/read/10881/chapter/7

None of that is going to convince anyone dead set against firearms, that's a given. But the point is there. An armed populace does give violent criminals pause for thought and maybe that's enough.

Some will argue that there are people who get their own firearms used against them, to which I say, train harder, be aware of your surroundings and know when it's time to shoot or not. And some folks who don't know their ass from a hole in the wall probably shouldn't own firearms unless they've been through a safety and shooting class. But if they have a clean record and sound mental health, who am I to judge?

I've ripped guns out of the hands of unsafe shooters more than once and demanded they pay attention to basic safety rules. And after those interactions they usually do. I've seen range safety officers do the same. Maybe it's a lesson all gun owners should go through.

But illegal gun owners and other criminals don't train for defensive use or even safety. Those are the people who should be targeted for prosecution, not the people who follow the rules. When have you ever heard of Chicago or the feds prosecuting inner city criminals on gun charges in that city?

Theopolis Q. Hossenffer

Every Nation Needs a God-Emperor!
You would think if Ace's posts are correct the NRA(remember them) would use some of their immense defense fund to shout it to the heavens above instead of just buying Wayne LaPierre a new house or a boat or some such. They have been Crickets for quite a wile now.

gmase

You cited NPR. There's your problem. I prefer my news from reputable sources. You know, sources that aren't actively toeing the democrat party line.
Facts are facts regardless of who presents it - NPR, FOX, Newsmax, etc. Opinions about facts certainly vary.

More guns baby ❗ (Okay, it's NPR again so maybe they're making it up?)
https://www.npr.org/2021/04/26/9896...d-u-s-gun-sales-amid-string-of-mass-shootings

Some highlights:
  • January 2021 saw 4.0 million background checks, up from 2.7 million in January 2020;
  • March 2021 saw 4.7 million checks, up from 3.7 million last March;
  • The week of March 15th was the top week for FBI background checks since 1998 (1.2 million);
  • Jan - Apr 2020 - 40% of the customers were first time gun buyers;
  • The largest demographic increase is among non-white Americans,

1619447343830.png

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
That's fucked up. How in the fuck can you be so irresponsible, that you let a 6th grader get to your gun? If you have kids, you need a safe,