• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Rock Bands That Everyone Likes But You Don't Like

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
Don Henley is a heckuva songwriter.

Yeah I like most all their solo stuff, and I'm not saying The Eagles music was bad either. Its just for me so played out.
Some talk about Jimi H here. I think he was over rated as far as Guitar talent goes. I've seen him do some cool stuff with a guitar but never really heard him do a killer solo. I'm sure he was good but there were and have been many better guitarists in rock than Jimi.
The whole "Hendrix is the best guitarist ever" I think seems to be almost an urban legend.

Led Zep? I could see not liking them for Robert Plants voice maybe, but they were a talented band and their music covers a wide range. They had some pretty melodic and unique stuff. I have no complaints except for maybe in through the out door.

The Who? C'mon, how could anybody not like the Who?
Best cover.

One more secret I feel I have to share with you. I do not care for post Back In Black AC/DC. Fine music but I can't get in to it. It insists upon itself.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member

One more secret I feel I have to share with you. I do not care for post Back In Black AC/DC. Fine music but I can't get in to it. It insists upon itself.

Coming to think of it, it's like with Genisis - post the departure of the original singers, they turn into the best cover bands of themselves. Very high class, but still, never again the same standard.

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.

I also like For Those About To Rock and Flick Of The Switch albums but nothing after that. I do prefer Bon Scott to Brian Johnson with Highway To Hell being my favorite AC/DC album.

The Beach Boys, Fleetwood Mac (post Stevie - their earlier stuff was good), Kiss, ACDC, Guns and Roses, Pearl Jam, Bon Jovi, REM, Green Day, Depeche Mode, Alice in Chains, Def Lepperd,

Emerson,Lake and Palmer-Sounds like guys masturbating with their instruments for 10 to 20 minute long songs.They could play but I never got their music.
Bon Jovi-I thought they would be a one album hit wonder with Slippery When Wet and then disappear.Then Jon thought he was Springsteen and instead Bon Jovi ended up sounding like Springsteen’s backup band but not as talented for the past 30 years.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
For all of my fellow board buddies, I feel it is my duty and honour to present you this special visit of a Bon Jovi show in New Jersey:

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Actually I've heard conflicting accounts about what Dire Straits' real meaning was with that song with whom it was directed towards. The majority of what I've read indicated it wasn't directed at any bands on MTV. In any case no matter what it was didn't the real jab from Money for Nothing end up being a lot more towards people that complained about said hair/glam bands (in this case the appliance delivery man from the song and similar people), and not the bands themselves for the nonsensical thought they got money for nothing as if the musician just flopped out of bed one day and had fans pouring over him?

Actually, you're right. My bad. They were mocking the people who held harsh views toward hair/glam bands... people like me. :rofl:

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
From "thisdayinmusic":

16/08/1975 - Peter Gabriel
Peter Gabriel announced that he was leaving Genesis. The group auditioned more than 400 singers during the next 18 months before deciding that Phil Collins, who had been the drummer for Genesis since 1970, could front the band.

It's 44 years since Genesis lost Gabriel, and went with Collins. Not fatal, just ultimately the entrance into the domain of poprock

https://www.thisdayinmusic.com/

Supa, I have to disagree with you on Genesis without Peter Gabriel - poprock?? - You're actually telling me that Duke and Abacab are poprock? C'mon I don't believe that for one minute. And neither should anyone else. Those two albums are much better than Selling England by the Pound and Nursery Cryme when Gabriel was singing lead.

If you like artsy-fartsy then Gabriel is your man. Although, I sure do miss Steve Hackett. :(

Never ever managed to get into ZEPPELIN or HENDRIX and it is only in recent years that i could stand PINK FLOYD.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Emerson,Lake and Palmer-Sounds like guys masturbating with their instruments for 10 to 20 minute long songs.They could play but I never got their music.
Bon Jovi-I thought they would be a one album hit wonder with Slippery When Wet and then disappear.Then Jon thought he was Springsteen and instead Bon Jovi ended up sounding like Springsteen’s backup band but not as talented for the past 30 years.
Bruce Springsteen. On most of his songs with the exception of "Rosalita" he doesn't sing. He yells and screams.

Last edited:

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
Supa, I have to disagree with you on Genesis without Peter Gabriel - poprock?? - You're actually telling me that Duke and Abacab are poprock? C'mon I don't believe that for one minute. And neither should anyone else. Those two albums are much better than Selling England by the Pound and Nursery Cryme when Gabriel was singing lead.

If you like artsy-fartsy then Gabriel is your man. Although, I sure do miss Steve Hackett. :(
Ohh, I disagree with you on Selling England. I love Genesis, I've seen them 4 times, never with Gabriel, and a very exact cover band called "The Musical Box". I personally like just about all of their music, but after the self titled album that followed Abacab, I'm not to hip to, but Trespass through And Then There Were Three were great to really good, then the decline comes. For me, I could never really get into the grunge scene. I never got Nirvana, and I hate Pearl Jam. I don't dig any pop music, and I'm not a fan of country. Some old country, like Johnny Cash, and Hank Sr. are ok. I love Patsy Cline's voice, but that about covers country for me. I really love prog rock. The 20 minute ELP songs, love 'em. Huge fan of Yes and Pink Floyd. I never really got into most really heavy metal, like Slip Knot, or Gwar. And I hate all hip hop and rap.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Maybe I rushed to judgement with Peter Gabriel. "Firth of Fifth" off Selling England by the Pound was a great piece. Tony Banks playing the intro was solid. Phil Collins drumming was good as was Steve Hackett's playing.

Mr. Daystar

Maybe I rushed to judgement with Peter Gabriel. "Firth of Fifth" off Selling England by the Pound was a great piece. Tony Banks playing the intro was solid. Phil Collins drumming was good as was Steve Hackett's playing.
I think with Hackett leaving, started the decline that basically turned them into a back up band for Collins' sappy songs. A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering were great albums, even though Gabriel was gone. Rutherford, Banks, and Hackett wrote some great songs, but Hackett was sort of the outsider. Banks and Rutherford were long time school friends, and did a lot of writing together, sort of leaving Hackett out, and Collins was mostly arranging at that time. After Duke, it seems like there were less and less songs on the album that I liked.

EDIT:
I don't know how this slipped my mind, but jam bands. I don't know why I hate them, but they annoy me. I can take a couple of Grateful Dead songs, but bands like Dave Matthews, and Jimmy James, just annoy me. I can respect the musicians skill, but the music annoys me. I can also only listen to 2 songs per month by Bob Dylan, and it's the same 2 songs.

Last edited:

Mr. Daystar

Pantera or as I like to call them Panterrible
I never got the whole Dime Bag Daryl fascination. I mean he makes his living playing a guitar, so obviously he's a better then average player, but he's far from the top tier.