• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Rock Bands That Everyone Likes But You Don't Like

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
Smashmouth sucks. Did I say that already? Are they one word or two? They still suck.

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
It's strange that Jimi Hendrix is ​​so undervalued in his home country.

I think it's just me. I respect Hendrix as a huge innovator and influence who played some legendary live performances. I just can't get into his actual songs.

Assari, not sure if I mentioned to you all the great Black Metal Bands from Finland that I like (Archgoat, Satanic Warmaster, Azaghal, Beherit, Behexen, Goatmoon, Horna, Impaled Nazarene - early stuff, and Sargeist). You also got Sentenced (Death Metal) and Rotten Sound (Grindcore) which are both also great bands. You guys rock up there.

I think it's just me. I respect Hendrix as a huge innovator and influence who played some legendary live performances. I just can't get into his actual songs.

Assari, not sure if I mentioned to you all the great Black Metal Bands from Finland that I like (Archgoat, Satanic Warmaster, Azaghal, Beherit, Behexen, Goatmoon, Horna, Impaled Nazarene - early stuff, and Sargeist). You also got Sentenced (Death Metal) and Rotten Sound (Grindcore) which are both also great bands. You guys rock up there.

Maybe Jimi Hendrix's music was / is so poetic and so related to the black culture that we (white people) do not understand it!

It's great that you like Finnish heavy music even though it's not our music.

Heavy metal was born in English slums and it is said that the first real metal band was Black Sabbath.

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
Maybe Jimi Hendrix's music was / is so poetic and so related to the black culture that we (white people) do not understand it!

Heavy metal was born in English slums and it is said that the first real metal band was Black Sabbath.

Black Sabbath is like Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ wasn't a Christian but he was the inspiration for it. Black Sabbath isn't a Heavy Metal band but they were the Fathers of Metal.

The Nordic countries have made an incredible contribution to Heavy Metal. There is an amazing amount of talented musicians up there especially considering the population. I am a fan of many bands from Sweden, Norway, and Finland even though many times I can't understand the songs because they're not in English. Don't matter because they could read off their grocery list as long as they shriek it while some crazy guitar, bass, and drums play behind it.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member

That's the thing with metal rock - there are so many sub-genres now, and some bands have made it to the mainstream, like Black Sabbath, Metallica, while most others, especially those gory speed metal or those with those growlers as singers just have their niche sector with their specific fan base

That's the thing with metal rock - there are so many sub-genres now, and some bands have made it to the mainstream, like Black Sabbath, Metallica, while most others, especially those gory speed metal or those with those growlers as singers just have their niche sector with their specific fan base

Back to the topic:

Metallica is a band that almost everyone likes and that's one reason why I can't stand it.

Other reasons: sold out, too sissy, every song similar etc.

Black Sabbath is like Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ wasn't a Christian but he was the inspiration for it. Black Sabbath isn't a Heavy Metal band but they were the Fathers of Metal.

The Nordic countries have made an incredible contribution to Heavy Metal. There is an amazing amount of talented musicians up there especially considering the population. I am a fan of many bands from Sweden, Norway, and Finland even though many times I can't understand the songs because they're not in English. Don't matter because they could read off their grocery list as long as they shriek it while some crazy guitar, bass, and drums play behind it.

I would say that Black Sabbat is like Satan:

Seductive, genuine and raw

I’m shocked nobody has said the Eagles.Basically,everything in this thread that was said about Zeppelin is what I say about the Eagles.Hotel California is the most overrated rock song!
Aerosmith- I loved them when they were doing drugs and hated them when they stopped doing drugs!
The Strokes - There is no doubt in my mind that someone in this band was blowing someone important at Rolling Stone magazine.The magazine hyped this band up to no end.Like they were the Beatles or Stones.Thankfully,music fans did not fall for these rich kids pretending to be rebellious street rockers and Rolling Stone’s overhyped bullshit and they quickly went away!

Attachments

• A5262856-F26A-4A61-9D91-963300F8DF9F.jpeg
    A5262856-F26A-4A61-9D91-963300F8DF9F.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 148

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
My pun on the Clint Eastwood film, of the same name. :)

One thing I can say about the Beatles, the Who, and Led Zeppelin

The Good ...

Bass players you can hear:

The Beatles had Paul McCartney.
The Who had John Entwistle.
Led Zeppelin had John Paul Jones.

The Ugly ... (in a good sense ;) )

Cream had Jack Bruce.
Motorhead had Lemmy.
Rush had Geddy Lee.
Black Sabbath had Geezer Butler.
Fleetwood Mac had John McVie.
The Police had Sting.

The Bad ...

A bass player you can't ever hear ...

The Rolling Stones had Bill Wyman. What a waste! Double "L" for loser.

... That's only because Charlie Watts is a terrific drummer.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
First band that comes to mind:

Metallica - They do have up to a handful of songs I find okay, but I don't like their performance of those songs. "The Unforgiven", "Enter Sandman", two good compositions, but the mediocre vocals of Hetfield, and the wanker-solos of the songs ruin them.

KISS - Where do I start? The stupid face paintings, the ridiculous clothes, the childish lyrics, there is almost nothing I find worth listening to. Their success is still a marvel, to me.

This is a good start for me too. ^^^ Yeah, there's always a song or two by a suck band that I might think is cool. But overall, I hate those bands and/or their images. I'd also throw in most any hair/glam band from the late 70s through the 80s. The Dire Straits song, Money for Nothing, that has lyrics that can no longer be played on the radio (because of political correctness), is a jab at worthless, no talent hair/glam bands, not homosexuals. Good grief! :facepalm:

I also hate that death metal/speed metal noise that some people call music. That retarded grunting, growling and nonsensical yelling is beyond stupid, IMO. Sounds like Scooby Doo on meth.

It's strange that Jimi Hendrix is ​​so undervalued in his home country.

Hendrix undervalued in the U.S.A?
No. Not at all.
Legendary icon status, and fully deserved.

REY C wrote: I'd also throw in most any hair/glam band from the late 70s through the 80s.
I also hate that death metal/speed metal noise that some people call music. That retarded grunting, growling and nonsensical yelling is beyond stupid, IMO. Sounds like Scooby Doo on meth.

Totally agree on both counts.

This is a good start for me too. ^^^ Yeah, there's always a song or two by a suck band that I might think is cool. But overall, I hate those bands and/or their images. I'd also throw in most any hair/glam band from the late 70s through the 80s. The Dire Straits song, Money for Nothing, that has lyrics that can no longer be played on the radio (because of political correctness), is a jab at worthless, no talent hair/glam bands, not homosexuals. Good grief! :facepalm:

Actually I've heard conflicting accounts about what Dire Straits' real meaning was with that song with whom it was directed towards. The majority of what I've read indicated it wasn't directed at any bands on MTV. In any case no matter what it was didn't the real jab from Money for Nothing end up being a lot more towards people that complained about said hair/glam bands (in this case the appliance delivery man from the song and similar people), and not the bands themselves for the nonsensical thought they got money for nothing as if the musician just flopped out of bed one day and had fans pouring over him? If it was that easy to get success that way everybody would have done it, and few that tried did. Almost everybody struggled at some point. Something Dire Straits probably would have known better than most people being in the music industry. It's even more ridiculous when it's considered that stardom was a lot less manufactured back then than it is now in the music industry now. For example take Motley Crue whom the song is claimed to be about. Sure the members of the band were kind of drugged out douches and assholes in their personal lives. I wouldn't even be surprised if the members of the band today would admit it about their past selves, and they had that typical 80/90s hair band theatrics, but it had to be hard as hell for a group of people to compose, play, and sing their songs as well as they did. Even the bands I listed earlier I though were overrated none of them mostly lucked into their success.

Now everybody taste in music differs, but what I find personally when I look back at that era is when one takes away all the theatrics and things that were associated with bands back then but had nothing to do with the music, like girly clothing, long hair, the groupies, the goth look, faux Satanism or death imagery stuff, the oversexualization and objectification of women when it wasn't part of the songs, glorifying drugs, cool looking cars, and so forth is that most of them could actually create good music when looked at for the music's own sake. Yes, a lot of that added stuff was dumb. It probably wasn't healthy for the members of the bands that did it. It was done to draw in people dumb enough to go for only that, but I don't think it takes away from the actual talent from rock bands of that era.

One thing I have liked about rock bands though history is that unlike a lot of other top genres of music is that for the most part the bands actually had the ability to write and compose their own music and play their own instruments. They aren't like most Pop or R&B singers that just show up every so often and have other people do that for them. Even for them if it was easy to make it at the top more people would do so instead of failing hard when they try.

Prod3

Expect Nothing and Appreciate Everything
One thing I have liked about rock bands though history is that unlike a lot of other top genres of music is that for the most part the bands actually had the ability to write and compose their own music and play their own instruments. They aren't like most Pop or R&B singers that just show up every so often and have other people do that for them. Even for them if it was easy to make it at the top more people would do so instead of failing hard when they try.

Definitely agree with you on that one, thats what is great about rock music...they actually play their own instruments and mostly write their own music.

Too many pop bands/girl bands/boy bands/rap artists of todays era dont write their own music...they either have someone do it for them or sample/take someone elses tune and make something else of it rather than coming up with something original!

Heres an example from Nicki Minaj...who can tell me where this is originally from? :rolleyes: ...and yes its a rock artist!

ArthurTurner

God Bless Christian Louboutin
I usually tune out the bands or genres I don't care for, just adjust the dial. And like a lot of people, they produced a few songs that stuck with me, even if the bands themselves were favorites. A short list would include:

Grateful Dead: That tie-dyed shirt, stoner vibe was a turnoff.
Led Zeppelin: Hard to be the ground-breaking power trio when Cream and the Jimi Hendrix Experience broke the ground first.
Fleetwood Mac (1975-): I was a big fan of the original Fleetwood Mac, with Peter Green.
Genesis (fronted by Phil Collins): Although I respect Phil Collins a lot as a drummer and performer, and the band had a lot of success with him as front man, Peter Gabriel gave the band its edge.
KISS: Those guys are master marketers, I'll admit.

I have no use whatsoever for heavy metal. The LA scene in the `80s was simply depressing, a bunch of stupid guys singing inane songs and wearing garish makeup. Ugh!

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
Genesis (fronted by Phil Collins): Although I respect Phil Collins a lot as a drummer and performer, and the band had a lot of success with him as front man, Peter Gabriel gave the band its edge.
...!

From "thisdayinmusic":

16/08/1975 - Peter Gabriel
Peter Gabriel announced that he was leaving Genesis. The group auditioned more than 400 singers during the next 18 months before deciding that Phil Collins, who had been the drummer for Genesis since 1970, could front the band.

It's 44 years since Genisis lost Gabriel, and went with Collins. Not fatal, just ultimately the entrance into the domain of poprock

https://www.thisdayinmusic.com/

ArthurTurner

God Bless Christian Louboutin
From "thisdayinmusic":

16/08/1975 - Peter Gabriel
Peter Gabriel announced that he was leaving Genesis. The group auditioned more than 400 singers during the next 18 months before deciding that Phil Collins, who had been the drummer for Genesis since 1970, could front the band.

It's 44 years since Genisis lost Gabriel, and went with Collins. Not fatal, just ultimately the entrance into the domain of poprock

https://www.thisdayinmusic.com/

I'm very aware. As I said, that had a lot of success after Gabriel left, but pop rock is not my thing.