• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

NHL 2008-2009 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avery is a piece of shit. that punk move on Thomas was pure bullshit. He should be kicked out of the league. you want to play like that, go to some league below the ECHL. Avery is perfect for the about to miss the playoffs again New York Rangers.

I've not been following close enough and it appears that Avery is still a little bitch. I thought he had changed but obviously I'm way off. His time will come and it won't be pretty

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
Avery gave lip service to get back in the league. he needs to be gone. The NHL needs to be the first league with the balls to tell a player, "you are scum and have no place in our league, now go fuck off"

Avery gave lip service to get back in the league. he needs to be gone. The NHL needs to be the first league with the balls to tell a player, "you are scum and have no place in our league, now go fuck off"

Agreed. No other league would've had the balls to suspend Avery indefinitely for his "sloppy seconds" remark as well. Good on them for that.

If the NHL needs guys like Sean Avery and shitty broadcasting on ESPN in order to attract American fans to the game then maybe the league doesn't need American fans in the first place.

And move Phoenix back to Winnipeg for fuck's sake. Seriously ridiculous.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
And move Phoenix back to Winnipeg for fuck's sake. Seriously ridiculous.

I'd like to see that, but chances are they would have to move a few years later. :dunno:

member979979

Closed Account
Wtf happened with Winnipeg? Was hockey's popularity dieing there?

Personally, I would love to see San Diego get a pro hockey team. There could defiantly be a market here with Anaheim's success. Come on New York Islanders, pack up your shit and move out here :)

i'm going to say this in general about the sharks...what the fuck happens. before the play offs the sharks do good during the play offs they fucking self-destruct...every time. &, perhaps more upsetting, if a bay area team makes it to the playoffs, in general, this problem goes for them too...

It's really simple people. The reason why Americans don't care about hockey is because they aren't very good at it. Look at the major American sports: baseball, basketball, and football; Americans clearly dominate those sports. Americans just don't care about a sport that they're never going to be the best at. It's the same reason why soccer has never become big in the US.

Also, I actually think Versus is doing a way better job than ESPN has ever done in covering hockey. Keith Jones and Brian Engblom are smart guys and good analysts. However, being from Canada, it's just not the same watching an American hockey telecast. The camera work is shotty at best, the announcers have no idea how to call a game, I want to vomit every time the play-by-play guy jizzes in his pants when a goal is scored and goes WAY overboard on screaming "HE SCORES!" with some girlish enthusiasm that just hurts my hockey-loving ears. CBC has got the art of broadcasting hockey perfected. The camera work is always perfect, they zoom in on the net at the perfect time, they cut to close-ups of bone-crushing hits just at the right moment, they cut to a fight as soon as the gloves are dropped, etc. American hockey broadcasts miss this stuff, or cut to it just a bit late. And NBC just absolutely sucks at broadcasting hockey, I'd almost rather not watch the game than watch it on NBC.

Also, fuck the Sean Averys of the hockey world. Hockey does not need villains, or should I say: hockey does not need piece of shit garbage human beings in their league. Enforcers, or even agitators, are fine as long as they aren't scumbags. Despite the "violence" of hockey, it is a game of gentlemen, and Sean Avery is anything but that.

The NFL is full of piece of shit garbage human beings who only care about their salaries and their bonuses. It's a league of individuals. You'd may as well not even call it a team sport anymore. Thank God hockey doesn't have "characters" like that.

Hockey is the best sport to watch. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience, when you live in a REAL hockey town, as I did in 2006 when the Oilers went all the way to Game Seven and lost :weeping: there is nothing else like it in the world of sports, save the World Cup of soccer (which obviously has crazy-ass fans). However, I think playoff baseball is incredibly good to watch because of the way you hang on each and every pitch. And a really close, back-and-forth style basketball game is also very fun to watch. All better to watch than an NFL game.

Couldn't agree more. Americans in general tend to prefer sports that as a nation they perform well in. It just so happens that hockey isn't one of them (although I think it's awesome).

Personally, I would love to see San Diego get a pro hockey team. There could defiantly be a market here with Anaheim's success. Come on New York Islanders, pack up your shit and move out here :)
Did you go to any Gulls games when they were there?

i'm going to say this in general about the sharks...what the fuck happens. before the play offs the sharks do good during the play offs they fucking self-destruct...every time. &, perhaps more upsetting, if a bay area team makes it to the playoffs, in general, this problem goes for them too...

The Sharks are the Ottawa Senators of the West.

We always have a great regular season (except this year, and the second half of last year) then lose in the playoffs. We finally made it to the finals in 2007 and lost to the Ducks, but we were due for a Stanley Cup for about 5-6 years.

I mean we had Chara, Redden (in his prime), Heatley/Hossa, Alfredsson, Spezza, Havlat and we still couldn't win a god damn cup. Goaltending has always been our downfall. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqvY6J820KE

The thing is that the Sharks have the goaltending. I remember how clutch Nabakov was againt the Stars in overtime. Jumbo Joe has to step it up, he's been known to disappear in the playoffs. And I really want Roenick to get a cup before he retires.

While I think Versus has improved their coverage quality a ton since the start the games need to be broadcast in HD on ESPN. ESPN HD is available to far more homes and as much as I can't stand the over the top sound clip nature of ESPN it is what people in the US think of concerning sports. High Definition probably benifits hockey more than any other sport.

I'd like to see at least one more team in Canada. More teams in the core market especially with the salary cap is a good thing.

The NHL needs to advertise its stars better in the US. I can't stand it when I see a commercial "Lebron and the Cavs against......" when it comes to a team sport, but it gets the players name out there and this is how many people become familar with a sport or team. The NHL has to get somebody with some real marketing skill because there are two problems they have in this area. First the current face of the game is Sidney Crosby. He by everything I've seen a very well mannered super talented young man, but Ovechkin is a real showman. Ovechkin isn't afraid to act ridiculous on or off the ice. Its not a fault of Sidney, in fact its a quailty I like in most NHL players. They for the most part are good working class team first quiet guys. Which leads into the second problem. Many of the superstars don't speak English very well and are sheltered by their teams. Pavel Datsyuk is probably one of the funniest and most exciting players in the league and the Red Wings basically kept him hidden from the public until this season.

Quit with the idea of trying to remove fighting from the game. Just let the players sort it out themselves. This doesn't mean I want bench clearing brawls, but two tough guys going at it to throw a spark into their teams is good for the game. Linesmen if you see a couple of guys who want to fight for Gods sake LET THEM. Hardly anyone touched Gretzky or Lemieux in their days because there would have been hell to pay. Without the fighting and the spector of getting your ass punched out superstars in the game today are targets of other teams and more susceptible to injury.

The league has done a few things to improve the game. Removing the red line is awesome. It opens up the ice. Calling the clutching and grabbing has improved the flow of the game. Moving the faceoff to the offensive zone on penalties is another well done rule change. The shootout is a fan favorite in the regular season. Don't ever let it become part if the playoffs though.

Popularity never died in Winnipeg. They were losing money, so they had to move. They weren't losing money because of a lack of fan support though. The main factor was that the Canadian economy was REALLY bad back then and the Canadian dollar was only about 60 cents to the American dollar, yet Winnipeg had to compete against a league which was primarily made up of American teams. The Jets still had to pay their players in American dollars, but all of their ticket sales and merchandise sales were bringing in Canadian dollars. They just had no way to compete and make money with the economy the way it was back then. The same thing happened in Quebec City and it almost happened in Edmonton and Calgary, but the fans stepped up and raised over a million dollars in funds from their own pockets to save their teams. Talk about true fans.

What's with all these guys with visors getting in fights lately? They should give out 2 mins to whoever's fighting with a visor on. And if both guys have them on they should go to 4 on 4.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
We always have a great regular season (except this year, and the second half of last year) then lose in the playoffs. We finally made it to the finals in 2007 and lost to the Ducks, but we were due for a Stanley Cup for about 5-6 years.

Outside of my favourites, I hope that the Sharks will win a cup. They have been consistently good for years now, and I think it's great that they are getting recognition this season as one of the best teams in the league. Even if the Sharks go to the finals, I'll be happy. The Sharks are a great team with many great players who haven't won the cup, so it would be great if they could do it this year.

member979979

Closed Account
the NHL and NBA do have something in common.

In hockey, whenever we see a black guy playing we think "oh neat a black guy is the team."
In basketball, whenever we see a white guy we think "oh neat a white guy is on the team."

nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.