• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Most Individual Health Insurance Isn't Good Enough for Obamacare

georges

Staff member
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-individual-health-insurance-isnt-101200230.html

Most Individual Health Insurance Isn't Good Enough for Obamacare

By Tami Luhby | CNNMoney.com – 17 hours ago
Email

Print

Associated Press -
FILE - In this March 23, 2010, file photo, President Barack Obama is applauded after signing the health care bill in the East Room of the White House in Washington. Health care was the …more
If you buy your own health insurance now, you'll be in for a big change when you sign up for coverage in 2014.
Just over half of the individual plans currently on the market do not meet the standards to be sold next year, when many key provisions of President Obama's Affordable Care Act kick in, according to a University of Chicago study. That's because the law sets new minimums for the basic coverage every individual health care plan must provide.
"They will offer a lot more financial protection," Jon Gabel, the report's lead author, said of the individual plans that will be available next year. His team drew its conclusions from 2010 data supplied by health insurers.
Some 15 million Americans, or about 6% of non-elderly adults, currently buy coverage on the individual market. Starting this fall, they'll be able to shop for and enroll in health insurance through state-based exchanges, with coverage taking effect in January. By 2016, some 24 million people will get insurance through the exchanges, while another 12 million will continue to get individual coverage outside of them, the Congressional Budget Office estimates.
Both groups will be affected by the new Obamacare rules. Starting next year, nearly all individual plans -- both in and out of the exchanges -- will be required to cover an array of "essential" services, including medication, maternity and mental health care. Many plans don't currently offer those benefits.
So what happens to the plans that don't meet the new minimum standards? They will likely disappear. A handful of existing plans will be grandfathered in, but the qualifying criteria for that is hard to meet: Members have to have been enrolled in the plan before the ACA passed in 2010, and the plan has to have maintained fairly steady co-pay, deductible and coverage rates until now.
The insurers in the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association are major players in the individual market. They are readying new product lineups for 2014, according to Kim Holland, the trade group's executive director of state affairs. She expects most existing Blue Cross individual plans to be discontinued.
"They are going by the wayside," she said. "Plans will have to conform to the higher level of benefits."
Consumers buying individual plans will be able to choose between four levels of coverage next year: platinum, gold, silver and bronze.
Platinum plans will carry the highest premiums but offer the lowest out-of-pocket expenses, with enrollees paying no more than 10%, on average. At the other end of the spectrum are bronze plans, which will have the lowest monthly premiums but higher deductibles and co-payments totaling up to 40% of out-of-pocket costs, on average. Starting in 2014, all Americans will be required to carry coverage or face fines. Those penalties start at $95 per adult or 1% of adjusted family income, whichever is greater, and escalate in later years.
People with annual income of up to 400% of the poverty line -- or roughly $45,000 for an individual and about $92,000 for a family of four -- will get federal subsidies to help defray the premium costs.
Most individual plans sold next year, even the lowest-level "bronze" plans, are likely to charge higher premiums than today's most bare-bones individual insurance. For many customers, though, those costs will be offset by lower out-of-pocket costs and more comprehensive coverage, said Karen Pollitz, a senior fellow at the Kaiser Family Foundation.
"Now, they buy a policy and when they get sick, they may go broke anyway because the policy leaves them with so much to pay," she said, noting that deductibles of $10,000 are not uncommon.
The insurance industry's trade group counters that some people may wind up with more coverage -- and higher monthly costs -- than they want. Some individuals may choose to simply pay the fine instead, said Robert Zirkelbach, a spokesman for America's Health Insurance Plans.
"Now, people can choose the plan that best meets their needs," Zirkelback said. Next year, "they may choose not to buy any coverage."

I saw this on yahoo too. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Check out georges (whore heys) trying to pick up the Worm's slack.

Got a smile from me on that. :)

In defense, it is a yahoo post that got a bit of attention. Low hanging fruit and all that.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
Oh, it's definitely worthy of post and comment, no criticism there, I was more amused by the thought that georges is missing our 2011 Asshat of the Year. Sadly, Will E Worm is refraining from posting until the ugly little comment he made about hoping to see mass murder and crime in Maryland blows over. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. lol

georges

Staff member
Check out georges (whore heys) trying to pick up the Worm's slack.

Oh reallly:wtf::picardfacepalm::facepalm::beatinghead::bang:I am not trying to pick up Will's slackand I don't miss anyone except the members that have gone and that I appreciated. I can defend myself by my own in political debates.

vodkazvictim

Why save the world, when you can rule it?
I think by jumping straight into partisan political argument we may be missing the bigger picture; that people of a 1st world nation are being denied healthcare.

Assuming that I've understood it; didn't read lol!

Rattrap

Doesn't feed trolls and would appreciate it if you
Last edited by a moderator:

vodkazvictim

Jezus

An Irish man with a crooked back walks into a coffee shop and sees Jesus sitting in the corner reading the paper. He tells the waitress, "Please send Jesus a cup of coffee, on me." So the waitress takes Jesus a cup of coffee.

Then an Arabic man with arthritis walks into the coffee shop and sees Jesus sitting in the corner. He says to the waitress "Send Jesus a muffin, on me." So the waitress sends Jesus a muffin.

Finally an American man in a wheelchair rolls into the coffee shop and sees Jesus in the corner. He says to the waitress, "Tell Jesus I'll cover his bill." So the waitress tells Jesus.

As Jesus was leaving the coffee house he says to the Irish man, "Thank you for the free coffee. Be healed!" Jesus touches the man's shoulder, and he was miraculously healed.

Then Jesus went over to the Arabic man and said, "Thank you for the free muffin. Be healed!" Jesus lightly tapped the man's shoulder, and he was healed.

Then jesus went over to the American man and said, "Thank you for covering my bill. Be healed!"

As Jesus leaned over to touch him, the man yelled, "Don't touch me man! I'm on workers comp!!"

vodkazvictim

If anything this seems indicative of just how incredibly poor the health care in this country is now.

How did this come to pass?
Isn't america the richest country in the world?
Isn't the american model of capitalist democracy healthy?
Isn't this the american dream?

How did this come to pass?
Isn't america the richest country in the world?
Isn't the american model of capitalist democracy healthy?
Isn't this the american dream?

Health care in the US to many is like a poor kid looking through the window of a bakery at the cup cakes.

There is no place in the world I would rather be in terms of health care. However, I have a butt-kicking insurance policy.

Feel free to rant and rave about capitalism, because this is a symptom.

Don't be sarcastic about the American Dream. We're the best and we don't have to prove it or even be right.

Jack Daniels or Jameson's is normal my cocktail of choice, but in honor of you, I'm thinking about having some vodka with a drop of vermouth and some olives this evening.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
If anything this seems indicative of just how incredibly poor the health care in this country is now.

IMO, the health care system (overall) is excellent in the U.S. - but only if you have good insurance (as Mike said). It's the insurance industry that's completely fucked up. And Obama's healthcare reforms haven't done much to improve that situation (putting it in the hands of Nancy Pelosi and the other yobs in the House was a completely stupid move on his part). What pisses me off is that hospitals rip off those of us who do/can pay our hospital bills to make up for those who don't/can't pay. Maybe this will help a little with that... maybe not. We'll see. But like a dog with a bone, I'll never let the whiney right wingers forget that it was their "god", Ronnie Reagan, who mandated that hospital ERs had to admit and treat each and every individual who rolled through the door... no exceptions. You could be an illegal alien, who just raped a nun and murdered a Girl Scout, without a cent to your name. They still have to treat you and stabilize you. And if you come back a month later, after not paying the first bill, they have to admit and treat you again. This is why people without insurance clog up hospital ERs and use them as primary care facilities. Doctors don't have to see you in private practice. The ones who work the ER do! Thanks, Ronnie. Way to impose your will on private enterprise with an unfunded federal mandate. :hatsoff: That did more damage to our health care system than anything Obama has even dreamed of.