• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Mosque’s opponents have taken opposite position in court

The opponents of the so-called Ground Zero Mosque tried to get New York City to use its landmark preservation powers to prevent the project from getting off the ground. But precisely the same groups — including the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) and the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ) — have a history of arguing in court that local governments can't use laws like that to prevent houses of worship from being built. The ADL still acknowledges that the builders of the facility have the right to construct — but ADL leaders are essentially endorsing the positions of the local officials they've fought in the past by questioning the Muslim group's choice of a venue close to the site of the September 11 terror attacks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100804/pl_yblog_upshot/mosques-opponents-have-taken-opposite-position-in-court-longshot
:confused: So now Conservatives and teabaggers are going to use the groups that helped right the RLUIPA, which BTW creates strong protections for churches and other houses of worship from local governments using zoning and other land-use laws to restrict them, essentially saying that if local municipalities interfere with religious institutions, they'd better have a very good reason for doing it, to defend their position that it should not be built there.

Do these people like to fail at everything?

They just hate Muslims...

Ace Boobtoucher

Founder and Captain of the Douchepatrol
I'm hoping Larry Flynt builds a Hustler boutique across the street. Or the National Organization of Women. That, and every street performer in NYC camps out on the sidewalk in front of the damn thing and shows them how much New York appreciates their gesture of tolerance. Maybe lease some space to Fred Phelps and his nutjobs and encourage him to show them the love. Thank God they have term limits for the mayor there. That Bloomberg must be the dumbest rich douche in the history of rich douches.

The mosque is a slap in the face of all the victim's families. The jihadists will use it's contruction as a propaganda victory. If they want to build this stupid mosque then do it in NJ.

The mosque is a slap in the face of all the victim's families. The jihadists will use it's contruction as a propaganda victory. If they want to build this stupid mosque then do it in NJ.

Does this "slap in the face" also include all of the families of Muslim 9/11 victims?

The jihadists will use it's contruction as a propaganda victory.

Why should we care what they think about it? If it's done for ourselves and not for them I don't care how jihadist present it. Nonsensical delusions of evil people don't dictate how I live my life and shouldn't dictate how our society lives either.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
I wonder if Al-Killedya would have flown that plane into the WTC if an Islam mosque had been there. My guess is that they wouldn't have given a damn.

Why should we care what they think about it? If it's done for ourselves and not for them I don't care how jihadist present it. Nonsensical delusions of evil people don't dictate how I live my life and shouldn't dictate how our society lives either.

It'll be used as such. We should care.

Yes it does.

Why is that?

I do not follow the logic that states that both 9/11 and the building of a Mosque can coincide with one another to cause outrage just because the individuals involved were proponents of the same faith. Have those involved in the construction of this Mosque ever come out publicly and said that they support what happened on that day? If they have I can't find it - maybe you have information I don't, please share it if you have.

One would hope that the victims families and you yourself would realise that the actions of a group of 19 radicalised men do not mirror the beliefs or actions of an entire group of people who by the last count number upwards of two billion and by painting everyone who just so happens to be a part of this group with the same brush and limiting the rights they're entitled to; that I'm sure you would be so happy to defend if they just so happened to be someone else you're doing nothing more than drenching yourself in hypocrisy.

Why is that?

I do not follow the logic that states that both 9/11 and the building of a Mosque can coincide with one another to cause outrage just because the individuals involved were proponents of the same faith. Have those involved in the construction of this Mosque ever come out publicly and said that they support what happened on that day? If they have I can't find it - maybe you have information I don't, please share it if you have.

One would hope that the victims families and you yourself would realise that the actions of a group of 19 radicalised men do not mirror the beliefs or actions of an entire group of people who by the last count number upwards of two billion and by painting everyone who just so happens to be a part of this group with the same brush and limiting the rights they're entitled to; that I'm sure you would be so happy to defend if they just so happened to be someone else you're doing nothing more than drenching yourself in hypocrisy.

Then have it built out of sight from the WTC. Why build it so close. Why is one religion more important than any other. Hindus, Christians, Muslim, Atheists all died because of 19 Muslim Takfiris. Now the insensitive idiots in NY want to build a mosque?
Why not build a center for all religious faiths who needlessly died that day. Why pick one, the one that claimed nearly 3,000 people. It's not right.

Then have it built out of sight from the WTC. Why build it so close. Why is one religion more important than any other. Hindus, Christians, Muslim, Atheists all died because of 19 Muslim Takfiris. Now the insensitive idiots in NY want to build a mosque?
Why not build a center for all religious faiths who needlessly died that day. Why pick one, the one that claimed nearly 3,000 people. It's not right.

It is their private property, they can build whatever they want there.

Also we have this little think called freedom of religion...maybe you have heard of it.

Funny...conservatives preach about how we must follow the Constitution, then when we do they get pissed off.

Seems like all they want to do is bitch and moan.

It is their private property, they can build whatever they want there.

Also we have this little think called freedom of religion...maybe you have heard of it.

Funny...conservatives preach about how we must follow the Constitution, then when we do they get pissed off.

Seems like all they want to do is bitch and moan.

First I'm not a conservative.

Second where are all the liberals when the rights of all the victims families aren't addressed. You put those aside for PC.

Address all victims equally or none at all. Which is it.

I understand fully that the land owners have every right to build whatever they please on the land that they own, but the idea that they would INSIST on building a mosque so close to the former WTC site is marks such insensitivity towards such a dramatic, and for many Americans traumatic, event.

As I said before, they certainly have the right to build a mosque there if they so choose, but this action is going to do nothing for the current PR stance that Islam is a "religion of peace," and will no doubt strike a sense of contempt, spite and sheer anger from many Americans, especially New Yorkers, simply because it is an overly insensitive act and a callous refusal to accpet the emotions and pain that many victims of 9/11 are still dealing with. If this mosque becomes a reality, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if some insensed "patriot" set it on fire, blew it up or ran in there "guns a blazin.'"

Long story short, while they may have the right to build a mosque on that site, this is really asking for a heap of trouble IMO (whether it is deserved or not is another issue), and just because they have the right to do so, doesn't mean they aren't insensitive dicks for doing so. And, apparently, muslims in America (or at least these muslims in specific) are not subject to the norms of "cultural awareness" and "cultural sensitivity" so many of us Americans must abide by.

First I'm not a conservative.

Second where are all the liberals when the rights of all the victims families aren't addressed. You put those aside for PC.

Address all victims equally or none at all. Which is it.

Did I say Trident is a Conservative? No...I said
Conservatives preach about the Constitution then when we do they get pissed
See...your name is not even mentioned.

What right's of the victims families are not being addressed? Do the victims families own the property? They can have an opinion about it...but they don;t have any rights.

While it might be insenstive and a dick move...it does not mean that they don't have a right to build it there.

it's one of those situations where technically nothing is wrong but people are going to be pissed off...it's not morally wrong, it's not against the law, it doesn't violate the constitution however it gut checks many people as wrong, the people planning this must know people are going to be pissed so perhaps they could choose another venue, however, to me it seems like a good place for a center explaining the difference between the average muslim and terrorists and murderers using islam to justify murder and mayhem

This is akin to someone owning a plot of land next to Chelmno, or Treblinka and erecting a monument to the SS.