• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Metal Evolution on Vh1

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick
pssh... why? what metal bands don't an alternate tuning? I agree that some bands tune way down and it just sounds like sloppy shit, but that guy (matt pike) fucking destroys
You can thank producer Ross Robinson and Korn for the "Tuned Down-7th string" sound.
You can say what you want about Korn, but they DID pioneer a new way of playing guitar AND bass (Fieldy's 5 string squeezy thing-a-ma-jiggy)....if anything else.

I can't get enough of it, myself!

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
Better than G.L.A.M. (Gay L.A. Metal)

I never liked glam. Thrash and progressive metal are more my speed.

pssh... why? what metal bands don't an alternate tuning? I agree that some bands tune way down and it just sounds like sloppy shit, but that guy (matt pike) fucking destroys

If it's not over-done alt tuning is ok, but it's mostly abused by guys that can't play. One of the reasons St. Anger sucked so hard was because it was in Drop C. Drop D is just so cliche grunge that it's nauseating.

robot_r0ck

I plead the 5th...
Great docu-series. :banger:

Better than G.L.A.M. (Gay L.A. Metal)

By the way, to anyone who thought the Grunge guys were 'anti-metal', they weren't. Their hatred was strictly for the glam/hair rock subgenre scene that was so overblown and bloated in the mainstream. Grunge was the result of an opposite reaction to it, much like Punk rock came from the hatred for the arena rock era that got out of hand. It needed to happen.

Good post. I'm not really into grunge though.

...I really dislike G.L.A.M. (Gay L.A. Metal)! That's just my opinion of course. :2 cents:

I never liked glam. Thrash and progressive metal are more my speed.

If it's not over-done alt tuning is ok, but it's mostly abused by guys that can't play. One of the reasons St. Anger sucked so hard was because it was in Drop C. Drop D is just so cliche grunge that it's nauseating.
you listened to the song? and thought they couldn't play?

You can thank producer Ross Robinson and Korn for the "Tuned Down-7th string" sound.
You can say what you want about Korn, but they DID pioneer a new way of playing guitar AND bass (Fieldy's 5 string squeezy thing-a-ma-jiggy)....if anything else.

I can't get enough of it, myself!

That's like someone walking into an art museum with a 'new way' of scribbling in a coloring book.
Besides, other bands were doing it before Korn, but they were the first to break into the mainstream with it, thanks to their connections. Mind you, I did like them when they had one and then two albums out, but I got tired of them quickly because of their very limited abilities. I grew up, but they didn't, imo. Of course it's that one-track minded way of playing that made it easy for kids to listen to them. So kudos to them for finding their nitch as a pop group.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
you listened to the song? and thought they couldn't play?

You're talking about High on Fire, right? I think they're good. I just don't like their tuning. I was talking about bands in general that use drop tuning, the whole over-done thing.

Not that every band that's ever used an alternative tuning sucks, because most bands on at least one or a few songs have used an alternate tuning.

I'm talking about bands that use it as a crutch, the whole, "ohhh look at my emo angst grunge influences, I play muddy murky fuzzy thorny sounds through my over-effected amp and down-tuned thrift store Fender Mustang" ethos.

You're talking about High on Fire, right? I think they're good. I just don't like their tuning. I was talking about bands in general that use drop tuning, the whole over-done thing.

Not that every band that's ever used an alternative tuning sucks, because most bands on at least one or a few songs have used an alternate tuning.

I'm talking about bands that use it as a crutch, the whole, "ohhh look at my emo angst grunge influences, I play muddy murky fuzzy thorny sounds through my over-effected amp and down-tuned thrift store Fender Mustang" ethos.
alright, try this. not sure what tuning they use, but it doesn't sound like it's any lower than D sharp

Petra

Cult Mother and Simpering Cunt
One of the things I'm LOVING about moving to Europe is access to all the euro metal bands.

Just saw Epica again last Friday and have tickets for their album release party in March. Saw MaYaN the week before last. There's also Pain, Hypocrisy, Tarot, Battlelore, ReVamp (opened for Epica), Arch Enemy, Delain, Nightwish, and a slew of others. Go from symphonic metal to death metal and every single genre in between.

Shifty

O.G.
I honestly can't name 10 "metal" bands. I could probably name a few dozen that thought they were but weren't. But actual metal bands? Dio, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Ac/Dc, (See? I'm already running out of gas)...........yeah, that's about it. Bands like Judas Priest, Warrant, Skid Row, etc were all posers and wannabes. And don't even think about mentioning Poison and Motley Crue. Between the two of them, they are 90% of why metal sucks and why those who came after weren't metal.

As far as grunge, all I have to mention is Pearl Jam and Soungarden. These two put out more quality rock and roll than all the bands listed above, combined.

IMO, calling Judas Priest 'posers and wannabes' is not only very ignorant, it's stupid.

I don't need to explain why.

... and Pearl Jam? Overrated. Yeah, I said it.

I'll even post some examples of several different genres for you if you're legitimately interested in giving it a try. I can practically guarantee you won't like a lot of it, but I'm willing to bet, some of it will surprise you.

SpokenWheel, please go ahead and post some examples! I'd be interested in hearing some stuff I've not yet heard. :)

I found Kingdom of Sorrow on FreeOnes. :thumbsup:

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
I completely forgot about this series, I had to get rid of my current cable subscription for a better one.

I was in a Nu Metal band in high school, complete with 7-string guitar and a DJ. I was on 5-string bass, of course. It's pretty funny to think about now.

SpokenWheel, please go ahead and post some examples! I'd be interested in hearing some stuff I've not yet heard. :)
you asked for it:

Mastodon: Progressive Sludge

Amon Amarth: Swedish Melodic Death

Sleep: Stoner/Groove Metal

Kalas: Stoner/Doom

Municipal Waste: Party Thrash

King Diamond: *Original* black metal

Petra

Cult Mother and Simpering Cunt
This will satiate my gray matter for the time being.

Yes, it will do nicely.

If you like them, check out MaYaN:

Where Amon Amarth is a swedish death metal band, MaYaN is a dutch symphonic death metal band. They're rather entertaining on stage too. The second vid are two of my all time favorite songs off the album.

Funny name. :D
why? Anyways... the shock rock episode was pretty sweet. I can't stand Slipknot, and I never really cared for Manson, but the pieces on Venom and Rammstein were good, and they interviewed one of my "Metal Mount Rushmore" heroes, King Diamond. That guy is the fucking best.

why? Anyways... the shock rock episode was pretty sweet. I can't stand Slipknot, and I never really cared for Manson, but the pieces on Venom and Rammstein were good, and they interviewed one of my "Metal Mount Rushmore" heroes, King Diamond. That guy is the fucking best.
It's funny in swedish.