• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Metal Evolution on Vh1

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick

bahodeme

Closed Account
Great Show. I also like the documentary he did.

Patrick_S

persona non grata
I have seen the first part. Like expected he didn´t mention Link Wray as one of the originators of heavy metal. What a gigantic fail, Link Wray has meant more for the heavy metal sound than all the people mentioned in the first show.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
I've been watching for the last few weeks. The grunge episode last night was hilarious. I like the way the grunge guys hated metal and then hated the post-grunge scene, too. Hate to break it to them but grunge wasn't that great.

Great series. The grunge episode was amazingly well done. Some great interviews, and i have to say it made some grunge guys less endearing than others. That said the Nickelback love was awful.

This show is great. I was even willing to endure the "Glam" episode because it's so well done. Sam's a great example of a metalhead for the public eye. A lot of ppl just assume we're all mentally disturbed outcasts that are liable to start shooting people. He's a great example of someone who just loves metal and wants to learn about it. Also, the thrash epi was amazing, even if it was mostly about Metallica.

xfire

I watched the grunge episode again. A lot of those guys have huge chips on their shoulders. Mark Arm was particularly snotty. I'm glad that Jerry Cantrell, once again, displayed how much class he has. Alice In Chains was always my favorite grunge band. I can't decide if the Creed hate or the Nickelback hate was more entertaining. lol I'm more a fan of Mark Tremonti than of Creed as a whole. I can do without the yarling. haha I think Sam Dunn should take grunge off the metal family tree. Those guys made it clear that they identify more with punk than with metal.

Mayhem

Banned
I've been watching for the last few weeks. The grunge episode last night was hilarious. I like the way the grunge guys hated metal and then hated the post-grunge scene, too. Hate to break it to them but grunge wasn't that great.

Not trying to start anything, but Grunge was the escape route that led us away from the suck-fest that was Metal. There was maybe a total of 10 bands, worldwide that deserved the title "Heavy Metal". The rest were posers.

I hate the name Grunge, and I don't think it applies, but I'll take the music over Metal any day.

xfire

Not trying to start anything, but Grunge was the escape route that led us away from the suck-fest that was Metal. There was maybe a total of 10 bands, worldwide that deserved the title "Heavy Metal". The rest were posers.

I hate the name Grunge, and I don't think it applies, but I'll take the music over Metal any day.

Name your ten true metal bands then name ten grunge bands and let's compare. The problem I have with grunge is the attitude you just displayed, i.e. that anything non-grunge "sucks".

Oasis (yes, alex) was better than most grunge bands. Not trying to sandbag grunge, I grew up with it, too, but it wasn't that great and it turned into an even bigger "suck-fest" than anything that came before it.

Mayhem

Banned
I never said anything non-grunge sucks. I listen to a wide array of music. I said that heavy metal was a suck-fest. And I was in my 20s back in the 1980s, so I remember it well. Crap song after crap song playing on the radio. It wasn't until this decades long projectile shit of so-called music came along that radio stations switched over to "classic" rock, because nobody was listening anymore.

Hell, the chapters in this VH1 show says it all. Glam and Thrash. Glam isn't metal, it's fairies with barely an understanding of the instruments they play, appealing to the lowest common denominator. And thrash is just garbage, done by idiots who couldn't build their musicianship up to the level of glam.

And as far as "metal" in general, I saw one of these VH1/MTV shows about the power ballad phase where it was admitted that said ballad was usually the only song, by a given band, that was any damn good (Cinderella being the epitome of this theory). So there ya go. Your rough-tough "metal" bands had to break out the acoustic guitars to get anybody to listen to them.

xfire

That's one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read. And I don't say that nonchalantly. I see you fail to take the ten metal bands vs ten grunge bands challenge. I don't blame you. There's hardly ten grunge bands to begin with. :1orglaugh

Mayhem

Banned
I honestly can't name 10 "metal" bands. I could probably name a few dozen that thought they were but weren't. But actual metal bands? Dio, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Ac/Dc, (See? I'm already running out of gas)...........yeah, that's about it. Bands like Judas Priest, Warrant, Skid Row, etc were all posers and wannabes. And don't even think about mentioning Poison and Motley Crue. Between the two of them, they are 90% of why metal sucks and why those who came after weren't metal.

As far as grunge, all I have to mention is Pearl Jam and Soungarden. These two put out more quality rock and roll than all the bands listed above, combined.

xfire

Grunge hated "mainstream" then became what they despised. Pearl Jam and Soundgarden are two great bands, no doubt, but if you think they alone "killed metal", you're insane! Anything played on the radio loses it's cool little label and forfeits itself to the masses. The "grunge" bands you like ceased being "grunge" and became "pop". Ow. That must sting. I don't know what "metal" bands you kept hearing on the radio but I can tell you this, if grunge killed any of them the fans didn't mind. I was never into glam/hair metal but I won't lie to myself and say those guys couldn't play.

Mayhem

Banned
Again, you are putting words in my mouth. I never said grunge killed metal. If I said anything, it's metal killed metal. And metal became pop too, so the "sting" has been dampened.

Did you know that Michael Bolton was in a "metal" band before he went solo?

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick
Oasis (yes, alex) was better than most grunge bands. Not trying to sandbag grunge, I grew up with it, too, but it wasn't that great and it turned into an even bigger "suck-fest" than anything that came before it.

Now ya finally said something there....:clap: