• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Is Science Fiction Dead?

No.. science fiction isn't dead - it's just waiting for someone to come up with a fantastic idea that hasn't already been done/rebooted already.

I feel in essence it is dead. Everyone looking to doom and gloom we won't make it past this century bull. No more the triumph of humanity at it's finest. It's all dark fantasy with no interest in how technology and the(only time I will use this term positively) manifest destiny of humanity to go out into the stars.

Mayhem

Banned
When I think Sci-Fi, I think outer space. We finally had a show that wasn't interspersed with "Family-style" lameness and avoidance. We had a multi-faceted plot line, technical credibility, and the greatest actors playing terrific roles that they were into. Aaaand it got canceled after one season. Nothing since has even scratched the paint.

What show am I referring too?

Hondarobot

Banned
If Science Fiction was "dead", it would most likely somehow re-animate itself eventually, because that's Science Fiction.

Do you mean: Has the science fiction genre run out of new ideas?

I would say that would be impossible.

Honestly, I don't know what the the hell the OP is asking. I've heard rumors that after the new Alien film is wrapped, Ridley Scott is planning on a film version of "The Forever War" (which would be awesome).

Hope that helps. . .

Shit you say why? We are constrained by our humanity we can only think of societal systems and guess at possible Extraterrestrial motivation from the frame of reference of our humanity. Even the most surreal shit out there is based on ages old spiritual systems or actual economic and ideological systems of today.

And don't get me wrong I think technology won't fix our problems. But I doubt we are going to corporately rape the stars either as in the coming decades we are going to learn some shit. Sustainability and the harnessing of nano technology.

Holy shit what is the forever war. Sounds like star wars or warhammer where they are in a perpetual state of war which could not be sustained.:dunno:

Unless it is something insidious like a culture war.

Hondarobot

Banned
I think this may be Ray Kurzweil posting, who's possibly drunk right now and somehow attempting to explain the coming Singularity Event. . .

Naw man AI will never achieve sentience unless one of two things occur.

1. We transfer our consciousness into machines.
2. We achieve such a level of nanotechnology and hell I mean nano. that we can stimulate the conditions of evolution completely synthetically. And even then the creator's footprint will be evident....Fuck. Intelligent design!!!!!!!!!

When I think Sci-Fi, I think outer space. We finally had a show that wasn't interspersed with "Family-style" lameness and avoidance. We had a multi-faceted plot line, technical credibility, and the greatest actors playing terrific roles that they were into. Aaaand it got canceled after one season. Nothing since has even scratched the paint.

What show am I referring too?

Does it rhyme with firefry?

I feel in essence it is dead. Everyone looking to doom and gloom we won't make it past this century bull. No more the triumph of humanity at it's finest. It's all dark fantasy with no interest in how technology and the(only time I will use this term positively) manifest destiny of humanity to go out into the stars.

Science fiction is the closest thing we have to a modern mythology. As such, it is a direct reflection of our culture's zeitgeist. If science fiction has become "doom and gloom" without the "triumph of humanity" that you speak of, it's probably because our culture has become doom and gloom without much hope for the triumph of humanity.

Think about it. Turn on Fox News and what do you see? "We're headed for complete economic collapse! Buy gold! Buy survival kits! Prepare for the apocalypse!" Change the channel to MSNBC and what do you find? "The worldwide ecosystem is going to disintegrate in imminent climate change! Evil corporations control our lives! The Tea Party is trying to destroy America!" Our lives are ruled by fear, mistrust, and despair. Science fiction is merely our expression of that.