• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

horror movies

Harley Spencer

Official Checked Star Member
PA is my favorite horror series (After the Nightmare series), but the trailers so far suck. So I am hoping it's like PA3 and none of this is in the movie. I couldn't wait for part 2 and 3, same with this one, but not because it looks good. But I won't see it 'til January when it's on BLu-Ray because this is a movie to watch at home at 3 a.m. (where you really have to hear everything, can't at the theatre).

And for some reason Harley, I thought you would hate the PA movies lol. I am just as excited for Grave Encounters 2, but you didn't like the first :p

oh gosh, nah, I don't hate them! I love them. The very first one they made, I actually thought it was legitimately real, so I was extra freaked out by what was going on. I didn't find out until I googled it after I watched it that it wasn't real. Great movies, I love them. The last one was a little funny to me, I laughed at some of the parts that were supposed to be scary!

oh gosh, nah, I don't hate them! I love them. The very first one they made, I actually thought it was legitimately real, so I was extra freaked out by what was going on. I didn't find out until I googled it after I watched it that it wasn't real. Great movies, I love them. The last one was a little funny to me, I laughed at some of the parts that were supposed to be scary!

I thought I was so close to having your taste in horror figured out :) I guess you're like me, as in any genre or sub-genre has it's good and it's bad. Don't talk about the ending of PA4 until after I've seen it when it comes out lol :p

Harley Spencer

Official Checked Star Member
I thought I was so close to having your taste in horror figured out :) I guess you're like me, as in any genre or sub-genre has it's good and it's bad. Don't talk about the ending of PA4 until after I've seen it when it comes out lol :p

Yeah pretty much. There isn't really any whole genre that I don't like. If the movie is good, it's good, and if it's bad, it's bad. Though in general I don't like westerns or musicals, but of course there are exceptions.

Since I'm not the world's biggest horror movie fan I don't know what a real horror movie fan thinks about these zombie flicks, but I thought they were pretty awesome, especially the first one.

Since I'm not the world's biggest horror movie fan I don't know what a real horror movie fan thinks about these zombie flicks, but I thought they were pretty awesome, especially the first one.

If by first you mean Quarantine then yeah I think that was the coolest "hidden footage" horror flick made, in my opinion. I think there was about three or four similar movies made in different languages...I saw at least two of them not including the one you posted.

Generally, I'm not a big fan of the "Lost Footage" videos, something about them feels dishonest...especially the Quarantine ad campaign which was centered around the word "truth" which I felt was offensive and unncessary...especially since the movie came out in 2008 at a time in American history where the Bush regime was passing alot of Hegalian Dialectic legislation to be able to detain, imprison and kill American citizens without due process...so movies like Quarantine and DreamCatcher (not a lost-footage movie) came across as thinly vieiled scare-tactic propaganda, and thus although artistically cool in certain aspects, aren't movies which I consider classics or which I would even add to my collection.

I think the first Lost Footage horror flick I saw was Blair Witch Project, which had me, and alot of other people, fooled at the time because I think it was the first one...I remember swearing to my girlfriend at the time that it was real, only to feel like a total idiot when I found out it was fake...every since then I haven't put much stock in them.

But I won't be a killjoy against alot of folks that love movies like the Paranormal Activity, Grave Encounters franchises by over-analyzing thier creative merit. I'll just say that some of them can be interesting, but in general, I don't prefer this particular sub-genre of horror movies as much as the more traditional cinematic forms.

Quarantine

If by first you mean Quarantine then yeah I think that was the coolest "hidden footage" horror flick made, in my opinion. I think there was about three or four similar movies made in different languages...I saw at least two of them not including the one you posted.

Yep, that's the one I meant, but the Spanish version entitled [REC] is the original.

I love Jennifer Carpenter, not only as Debrah Morgan, but I couldn't bring myself to watch QUARANTINE. I don't mind having to read subtitles every once in a while and I thought the original version was well worth my time. And since [REC]² is only available in its original form, you might miss out on a great sequel where basically all is revealed.

[REC]Genesis, well, is a little bit different, and [REC]Apocalipsis, the grande finale, is in the making.

Patrick_S

persona non grata
I think the first Lost Footage horror flick I saw was Blair Witch Project, which had me, and alot of other people, fooled at the time because I think it was the first one...
The Blair Witch Project wasn´t the first horror movie that used "lost footage" to tell a story. Ruggero Deodato did the same thing with Cannibal Holocaust over 30 years ago.

Yep, that's the one I meant, but the Spanish version entitled [REC] is the original.

I love Jennifer Carpenter, not only as Debrah Morgan, but I couldn't bring myself to watch QUARANTINE. I don't mind having to read subtitles every once in a while and I thought the original version was well worth my time. And since [REC]² is only available in its original form, you might miss out on a great sequel where basically all is revealed.

[REC]Genesis, well, is a little bit different, and [REC]Apocalipsis, the grande finale, is in the making.

Yeah Quarantine was pretty wild..it really freaked me out, you should check it out ....Actually, I think I saw REC, with Eng. subtitles...I don't remember being as effected by it as I was by Quarantine...maybe because I saw Quarantine first...I don't know....check out Quarantine if you get a chance and tell me what you think about it as compared to REC....I'm definately going to check out the REC sequels as well...hopefully they are better than the sequel to Quarantine which wasn't so great IMO.

The Blair Witch Project wasn´t the first horror movie that used "lost footage" to tell a story. Ruggero Deodato did the same thing with Cannibal Holocaust over 30 years ago.

You are technically correct, although I don't really count Cannibal Holocaust because I always viewed it more as a grotesque oddity, rather than serious art...kind of like the Human Centipede ...just trying to garner attention by being a gross spectacle.

I view Blair Witch Project as the first lost footage movie that took itself seriously and went to great lengths to pass itself off as real...and had a lot of people fooled which I know for a fact because I grew up in MD/DC area and I know how people re-acted to it...I don't know anybody who took Cannibal Holocaust seriously or thought it was real.

Patrick_S

persona non grata
I don't know anybody who took Cannibal Holocaust serioulsy or thought it was real.
Well, the Italian justice system took it pretty serious, and thought it was real. Ruggero Deodato had to prove to a court that the actors were actually alive after the movie was premiered to avoid being procecuted for murder.

Well, the Italian justice system took it pretty serious, and thought it was real. Ruggero Deodato had to prove to a court that the actors were actually alive after the movie was premiered to avoid being procecuted for murder.

Yeah there were a few charges and accusations at the time that it was a snuff film, but the movie was, and still is, banned in many places primarily because it was uniformly deemed to be obscene and offensive.

But you are correct, the authorities at the time did take it seriously, although I don't think it capitivated the attention of the masses of people the way BWP did...I was around in 1980, but I never even heard of Cannibal Holocaust until many years later.

Well Rec was the first one and it was was amazing (along with it's sequel, which all take place in the same night). I like Jennifer Carpenter, but Rec has a good twist at the end (of both movies, I haven't seen the third yet), whereas Quarantine is a shot for shot remake, but with worse acting (Jennifer Carpenter aside) and no twist, just predictability.

Well Rec was the first one and it was was amazing (along with it's sequel, which all take place in the same night). I like Jennifer Carpenter, but Rec has a good twist at the end (of both movies, I haven't seen the third yet), whereas Quarantine is a shot for shot remake, but with worse acting (Jennifer Carpenter aside) and no twist, just predictability.

It doesn't really matter which one was first...that was my original point which was that they are basically the same movie ostensibly created for the same purpose...Quarantine had some cool creepy zombies which I liked, but it doesn't really matter as niether of them, nor their sequels, are, or will be, among my favorites for the reasons I already stated.

Hondarobot

Banned
I finally watched "Cabin The Woods", just now. I wasn't that impressed, which I was afraid of and why I put off watching it for so long. Once the premise is established (in the opening scene) it's all just kinda trucking along after that point.

It was like Joss Whedons turn to do Raimes Evil Dead 3. Cool idea, it just didn't work all that well. I'd actually say it's a fail, because while it could have been an interesting examination of the horror film formula, it just ended up being a wind up to a slightly amusing last exchange of dialog. I understand how it was trying to be clever, it just didn't pull it off fully.

Good casting, though, except for the stoner guy, who was really annoying.

:dunno:

It doesn't really matter which one was first...that was my original point which was that they are basically the same movie ostensibly created for the same purpose...Quarantine had some cool creepy zombies which I liked, but it doesn't really matter as niether of them, nor their sequels, are, or will be, among my favorites for the reasons I already stated.

Haha I think you think I was trying to correct you. That wasn't my point. My point was I thought that Quarantine, even being a shot for shot remake, was not nearly as good as Rec. Mainly for the lack of a twist and the bad acting, like I said above :)

Haha I think you think I was trying to correct you. That wasn't my point. My point was I thought that Quarantine, even being a shot for shot remake, was not nearly as good as Rec. Mainly for the lack of a twist and the bad acting, like I said above :)

Ok well I saw REC with Subs so its kinda hard for me to judge or compare the acting under those circumstances. But honestly, Quarantine sacred the shit out of me...Notwithstanding the socio-political landscape in which it was created, I otherwise tend to rate horror movies by the details of the monster...The zombie monsters were cool to me in Quarantine...They stick out in my mind, which is saying something, because I watch ALOT of monster movies...

Also, to the extent that I consider what they do in "lost footage movies" acting in the first place, I actually liked the acting in Quarantine, I thought it was good in terms of looking natural, realistic and spontaneous which I assume is the overall goal in these types of movies. The film totally freaked me out, and I appreciate it for what it was.

It's kinda hard for me to compare it to REC, because 1) I saw Quarantine first, and 2) I saw REC with eng. subtitiles so it didn't have the same effect on me when you're reading instead of just re-acting. And honsetly, once I realized that REC was the same movie, I didn't even watch it up till the end to see the plot twist.

In your defense, I generally enjoy foreign films, and often consider them to be artistically superior to many American films, so I'm sure you are probably correct about your artistic critique and contrast of the movies, however in this case I just happen to have enjoyed Quarantine alot more :) .

But I think this type of discussion is good and there is no right or wrong answer regarding one's opinion, so hopefully other people (Harley :D ) will go explore both of these cinematic franchises, if they haven't already, and share their thoughts in this thread as well !

Ok well I saw REC with Subs so its kinda hard for me to judge or compare the acting under those circumstances. But honestly, Quarantine sacred the shit out of me...Notwithstanding the socio-political landscape in which it was created, I otherwise tend to rate horror movies by the details of the monster...The zombie monsters were cool to me in Quarantine...They stick out in my mind, which is saying something, because I watch ALOT of monster movies...

Also, to the extent that I consider what they do in "lost footage movies" acting in the first place, I actually liked the acting in Quarantine, I thought it was good in terms of looking natural, realistic and spontaneous which I assume is the overall goal in these types of movies. The film totally freaked me out, and I appreciate it for what it was.

It's kinda hard for me to compare it to REC, because 1) I saw Quarantine first, and 2) I saw REC with eng. subtitiles so it didn't have the same effect on me when you're reading instead of just re-acting. And honsetly, once I realized that REC was the same movie, I didn't even watch it up till the end to see the plot twist.

In your defense, I generally enjoy foreign films, and often consider them to be artistically superior to many American films, so I'm sure you are probably correct about your artistic critique and contrast of the movies, however in this case I just happen to have enjoyed Quarantine alot more :) .

But I think this type of discussion is good and there is no right or wrong answer regarding one's opinion, so hopefully other people (Harley :D ) will go explore both of these cinematic franchises, if they haven't already, and share their thoughts in this thread as well !

100% agree! I hate when people present their opinion as fact. I like Rec better and you enjoy Quarantine more. It's just a good thing that we both enjoyed the respective movies right :) I actually watched Rec with the dubbing (for the first one) and subtitles for the second one (still have to see the third). I do recommend you watch finish Rec. It ties in very nicely with the second one. I am gonna eventually watched the second Quarantine, but I haven't heard much good about it :(

Btw, Sinister looks really enjoyable to me. I loved Insidious and it looks to be along those lines.