• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

English Humor??

Ripping Yarns with Micheal Palin was class
Extras with Ricky Gervais
Blackadder as previously mentioned.
we have a show here called QI essentially its a quiz but the humouir is quality:)

For surreal British humour, look at Green Wing, very random hospital based series. For stand up you cant beat Ross Noble. Not very "linear" though, seems to go off on tangents a lot

om3ga

It's good to be the king...
cabey said:
Ripping Yarns with Micheal Palin was class :)

Ripping Yarns...good call! All the episodes were gems, but my faves were:
'Tomkinson's Schooldays'
The Curse Of The Claw'
'Golden Gordon'

http://orangecow.org/pythonet/rippingyarns.html

:D

Has Spike Milligan's weird "Q" series got a mention, btw?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_(Spike_Milligan_series)

What Are We Going To Do Now?

Reactions: AFA
cabey said:
that goes without saying jdb67...btw i love Kath and Kim now thats a quality show.:thumbsup:

Two hot chicks, those!!!;)

Dads Army was a Pearler of a show!!!:thumbsup:

jdb67 said:
I got a good laugh out of "the Office"... It was shown on the ABC here. Of course some clown in the U.S. thought they would try and imitate the show using Yank actors... It is quite bad!!!

Noone can do British humour like the Poms!!!:thumbsup:

I Don't Believe it! A lot of endlessly running US shows are directly from Brit TV. Three's Company, Changing Spaces. I can't make a list right now, seems like most everything.

Brit comedies are very good, almost all. Red Dwarf, Chef, The Good Life, Father Ted, Waiting for God, One Foot in the Grave, and yes, Keeping up Appearances, Allo' Allo', can't be imitated. I like most all of them, except maybe May to December, As Time Goes By, and Are You Being Served, those three are just too slow for me.

On the question of whether or not Englishmen are funnier then American's, the Oxford Union Debates once asked this question debated between Jasper Carrot and Alan King. The English won. :thumbsup:

Sometimes, I like my humour like I like my gin - dry with a bit of twist.

Must be why I like English humour :)

By the by: I won't comment much on the "motion pictures" of English humour, but few in the written form can compare to the irrepresible P G Wodehouse

cheers,

Dro50 said:
I have vague recollection of watching a Beatles movie and laughing my ass off. The comedy was really great in it but I'm too lazy to go look for the titles right now.

maybe a hard days night or help ?

i like a hard days night the most out of the two

especially lennon who slips sly references in

like when he starts sniffing a coca cola bottle in reference to doing coke!

A fav of mine- Up Pompeii.

Frankie Howerd was just hilarious.

"Titter ye not, Missus"

Dro50 said:
I have vague recollection of watching a Beatles movie and laughing my ass off. The comedy was really great in it but I'm too lazy to go look for the titles right now.

The Magic Christian?