• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

dungeons and dragons (D&D) anyone?

Petra

Cult Mother and Simpering Cunt
It really depends on the system as to my rolling behind a screen (or my hand) or in the open. Vampire it's pretty hard to fudge because it's either successes or fails. D&D, SW, and whatnot you have AC/Toughness to go against and my players aren't privy to that info.

So yea, that answers your other question...no, I don't announce the stats. That's metagaming. It's up to the players to figure out what they're fighting...

For example, I managed to kill 3 characters off tonight. They actually were up against 3 juvenile werewolves. They didn't know it was regular wolves or werewolves until the aggravated damage started. Needless to say, their gamble didn't pay off.

Also, the game before, if I'd have announced what they were up against, it would have been waaay too easy of an encounter. They thought they were fighting a fey, but it was actually a really easy vampire...they made it hard on themselves because of their utter paranoia. :1orglaugh And, that's the way I like it. :cthulhu:

In a way, I kind of feel bad since hubby only played this character for 2 games. :rolleyes:

squallumz

knows petras secret: she farted.
So yea, that answers your other question...no, I don't announce the stats. That's metagaming. It's up to the players to figure out what they're fighting...

that's my philosophy. as a player, i want to figure it out myself. my players always wants to know. ill let her do some nature checks for small gints but no way do i wanna tell her its a level 4 lurker with 89 hp with an ac or 19 or whatever.

Petra

that's my philosophy. as a player, i want to figure it out myself. my players always wants to know. ill let her do some nature checks for small gints but no way do i wanna tell her its a level 4 lurker with 89 hp with an ac or 19 or whatever.

Not sure if it made it into 4ed, but in 3.5 there's a spell that pretty much gives you all the strengths and weaknesses of the monster.

squallumz

Not sure if it made it into 4ed, but in 3.5 there's a spell that pretty much gives you all the strengths and weaknesses of the monster.

oo, its like "scan" from final fantasy. i kinda like that actually. i havent seen it yet, but im gonna keep my eyes open for that.

Petra

I think it came out in one of the other books...it's not in the PHB. Then again, it could have been simply a magic item that we ended up paying too much gold to the Stranger for (remind me to tell you about the stranger sometime).

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
Originally Posted by squallumz

In hindsight, that's what bugged me so much. Gamemaster says, 'Okaym there is a *insert monster name here* facing you, and everybody goes to their manuals, checking for stats and weak spots.

Is this role-playing any more?

Petra

In hindsight, that's what bugged me so much. Gamemaster says, 'Okaym there is a *insert monster name here* facing you, and everybody goes to their manuals, checking for stats and weak spots.

I'd have to yell at my players if they did that. Like I said before, when you fight your umpteenth orc, gnoll, or kobold, you roughly know what to expect. And if you've been playing for awhile, you kind of know what to expect from other creatures.

BUT...its also up to the DM to describe things in such a way that the players aren't going to get it so easily AND to mix it up. Why not give the orc captain a few levels of fighter? Gonna suck when you come across a gnoll shaman. Or a kobold necromancer.

This is why my vampire players never know what they're fighting. Is it a fey, or is it just a relatively weak vampire? Is it just an unusually big wolf, or is it a werewolf (because I described their yellow eyes flashing in the rays of moonlight coming through the trees, they thought the wolves were supernatural :facepalm:).

Oh yea, and Vampire doesn't have monster manuals. ;)

Do you keep tabs on the lifetime number of PC of your husbands you have killed off Petra? :1orglaugh

I would never let my players do that. :surprise: I could just see the reactions of the DMs I know if players did that. :D

If they want information on a opponent they can make the appropriate knowledge checks, (since the first smart thing to do would be to try and make those checks) and I would put it the number they have to hit at something around 10 + the opponents HD or challenge ratting (whatever I thought was the most appropriate of the two) for the very basic information on it and then by every 5 they beat it by I might give them another important tidbit about the opponent.

I wouldn't even think about letting them actually read a monster entry or stat block without something crazy like hitting a number that's around +20 above the highest information level I already had for that opponent. They would pretty much need to be at epic levels at that point just to check on mid level monsters that way, unless they highly specialized on those knowledge checks.

Even then if it was a unique person of that type of being or different than normal, I probably still wouldn’t let them do it.

Not that other players might not know what those things are anyway, especially if more than one person DMs, but I always played with people that were good at purposely not metagaming if they knew about something their character didn't.

Petra

Do you keep tabs on the lifetime number of PC of your husbands you have killed off Petra? :1orglaugh

Of course...in the last 2 years alone he's gone through about 24 characters in all the games we either play in together or I DM. Out of those 24, I'd say over half are do to me personally. :angels:

To be completely fair though...when you figure out wolves are bloody werewolves, you run like the little bitch you are. You don't stand your ground and fight unless you're super vampire, which he was not.

Never go toe to toe with something that gives aggrivated damage...idiot. :1orglaugh

squallumz

Of course...in the last 2 years alone he's gone through about 24 characters in all the games we either play in together or I DM. Out of those 24, I'd say over half are do to me personally. :angels:

To be completely fair though...when you figure out wolves are bloody werewolves, you run like the little bitch you are. You don't stand your ground and fight unless you're super vampire, which he was not.

Never go toe to toe with something that gives aggrivated damage...idiot. :1orglaugh

24?! dude. ive been holding onto my first and original and only for dear life. :D

Are your games normally meat-grinders or do your players just like winging it and not thinking to the point where they constantly get themselves in trouble over their heads and get killed?

Petra

Are your games normally meat-grinders or do your players just like winging it and not thinking to the point where they constantly get themselves in trouble over their heads and get killed?

I'd say 75% of the deaths in my games could have been completely avoided. The rest were player induced.

As far as being the cause of his death in the games we're both players, I kind of antagonized the sitution with some characters (like when the rogue tells the troll to run AWAY from the artificers...she didn't mean for the troll to run after HER). In vampire, I was the direct cause of at least 3 deaths because I was playing an assasin type that kept getting contracted to kill off group members for doing stupid things.

I don't hold anything against fruits or vegetables either, and have never shopped at the Gap (and almost certainly never will) or have ever wanted spiky hair.

Now as far as liking RPGs, comics, and sci-fi...okay you got me here. :1orglaugh

(Now I often don't like popular people but that's often because I just don't like a lot of people in general. :tongue:)

squallumz

so.

this past weekend, i had my first d&d game meetup. it went amazingly well.

i was relieved to see they played and DMd just like i did. i cant wait to finish the module. its funny that we were only able to get through 3 encounters before time was up.

i also got to play descent: journeys in the dark which ive been infatuated with since i first heard about it. amazing game.

im hooked. cant wait for the next meetup!

so.

this past weekend, i had my first d&d game meetup. it went amazingly well.

i was relieved to see they played and DMd just like i did. i cant wait to finish the module. its funny that we were only able to get through 3 encounters before time was up.

i also got to play descent: journeys in the dark which ive been infatuated with since i first heard about it. amazing game.

im hooked. cant wait for the next meetup!

I haven't played this since 1989. I wonder how my old druid is doing.

Very cool game

You should count yourself lucky. I'm almost getting to the point (I'd like to say I'm not desperate yet.) I'm thinking about joining some places just to play some Play-by-Post RPGing because I don't have people to play with anymore. The only problem is that moves at a near glacial pace. (Although it does have some benefits in a narrative sense of the immersion and details a person can get for their character that is hard to replicate at the table top.)

squallumz

You should count yourself lucky. I'm almost getting to the point (I'd like to say I'm not desperate yet.) I'm thinking about joining some places just to play some Play-by-Post RPGing because I don't have people to play with anymore. The only problem is that moves at a near glacial pace. (Although it does have some benefits in a narrative sense of the immersion and details a person can get for their character that is hard to replicate at the table top.)

play by post intrigues me. i dont know how you would do it though.

i really like that fantasy grounds stuff although ive never had the chance to use it with anyone.

but yeah, now im hooked with that group. i never thought id be able to get along with strangers just like that. especially since im so not the social type.

usually, i just play (as a DM and player) with my girl and my sisters which is just fine with me.