• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Does it bother anyone else that Americans call football by another name?

It bothers the hell out of me that football has a different name in the USA. The name Americans have for it just degrades the sport. I believe the name itself does actually affect its popularity. I refuse to acknowledge that goofy sounding name and I hope somehow that the US will eventually call it by its rightful name and change the name of that other sport to tackleball or something like that.

Incidentally, what is up with MLS calling the sport by its bogus name, yet naming some of its teams "football clubs" like FC Dallas or Toronto FC. They should make up their minds and rename their league to the AFA.

I have an easy solution, refer to American Football as soccer and call what the rest of the world call football........football.

Rattrap

Doesn't feed trolls and would appreciate it if you
I think it's silly (calling a sport 'Football' that has only one instance where the ball actually is ever kicked), but one of the more minor differences the US likes to make for itself.

The much larger, most annoying and in some cases potentially dangerous? Not using metric. Downright stupid, that.

tartanterrier

Is somewhere outhere.
The Yanks should call American Football - US Football and for World Football -Soccer.

MLS sounds good enough for me because with Philly,Seattle and possibly St Louis joining,it might be inevitable that it will become one giant league - just like the NHL,NFL,NBA and MLB.I think if that did end up like that,then it would certinly become one of the best Soccer leagues in the world ;)

I'm looking forward to see what they call Seattle.As for Toronto and Dallas having FC is a bit naff.I'd rather see the nicknames like KC Wizards and Chicago Fire.That's one of the great things about the US Teams :thefinger:

Of course in Scotland you have Glasgow Rangers ;)

what americans wants the rest of the world as to follow.

i know its stupid

member006

Closed Account
I think it's silly (calling a sport 'Football' that has only one instance where the ball actually is ever kicked), but one of the more minor differences the US likes to make for itself.

The much larger, most annoying and in some cases potentially dangerous? Not using metric. Downright stupid, that.

Likes to make for itself? Come on, we don't ask you to change your history. Its been around since this country was settled and many of the changes were made from the begining. More later on, but as it evolved it was still called 'Football'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football#First_Games

Not using metric is dangerous and stupid? Oh my, I'm so scared and apparently stupid too. :o

Can't we all just get along?

LL

FAH-Q

Banned

if you knew anything about football, you would know how silly your point is. :hatsoff:

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
It doesn't bother Americans that the rest of the world calls soccer "football" (I mean...scoring goals with your head??? How does that equate to "football"??), so why should it bother your that we Yanks call our favorite sport "football" and your "football" soccer?? Seems petty at best and downright snobbish at worst.

Truth is....soccer is just not as big of a deal in the US as it is in most of the rest of the world. Not dissing the sport....it's just the way it is. As for me, there's nothing more exciting than watching a nil-nil soccer game....:rolleyes:

Surely as much as the US is detested by the world at large you can think of something that pisses you off more than this!

I'd figured something like millions of children going hungry, or people dying from curable illnesses, or people being slaughtered by others would be more bothersome than the differing names of one sport between multiple countries. But then, I am just one of the dumb Yanks that calls it soccer. So what do I know, right?

dave_rhino

Closed Account
Stevie is right, no one should ever bother discussing anything except the horrible things he just listed.

Close all the threads!

BNF

Ex-SuperMod
Considering the regulation ball is +/- 12 inches....one foot long. It is an appropriate name.

Stevie is right, no one should ever bother discussing anything except the horrible things he just listed.

Close all the threads!

Well, when the discussion is a redundant one and the outcome is always the same, it gets old, boring, dull and pointless. Names won't change, neither side is right nor wrong. :2 cents:

Nope. It doesn't bother me at all. It does bother me when someone comes up with a completely nonsensical gripe about very menial crap like this though.

I like the word "Soccer" better then the vague and meaningless "Football" actually. We've actually talked all about this because we Americans can't just adopt "Football" for soccer...we'd have to adopt "fixture" "derby" "pitch" "brace" "physio" and any other Euro terms that are used within the sport and are not used in America.

I think "Kickball" is a more precise description of "Footie." Soccer is a cool word that basically has better marketing potential, imo.

"Footie" is growing in popularity in America. It will be the 4th Sport in 15 years. Hockey is on life support and there just aren't enough Americans or "Immigrants" coming to our country who play the sport. Hockey is a great sport. I have no problem with the sport. I just see a larger reality problem with the NHL.

Women's College Soccer is a fantastic collegiate sport for any soccer fan to watch. The quality of play is fantastic. It's not "kick, chase, foul" like the Men's College game generally is.

I do think "American Football" is not a great name. American Tackleball or "ChaosBall" make a little more sense. There is not a free-flowing aspect to the NFL game at all. It's a position game and a playcalling game. The outcome of the game can rely on matchup and playcalling...it's getting to be so micromanaged that the players are being "de-factored" and their becoming brainless elephants with "jobs and assignments" and not "players"...