• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

British rock band Oasis returns to glory with Dig Out Your Soul

Oasis returns to the music scene on October 6th with their newest album in 3 years. The album is titled Dig Out Your Soul, and so far it has been getting plenty of raves. I for one who've been hearing it nonstop over the past week since it leaked online can honestly say that it is their greatest work since 1995's What's The Story Morning Glory.

The album opens up with the aggressive rocker Bag It Up, Noel's ode to the days when he was getting high, which features Liam at his best singing in a long time. This is followed by the toned down low key rocker The Turning, also sung by Liam, one of the best songs Oasis have made in a while. Noel takes over singing duties next with Waiting for the Rapture, a song that borrows the guitar riff from The Doors' Five to One, and for what its worth, it is a great song. The first single, the fast paced, wildly aggressive rocker The Shock of the Lightning comes next, and it is quite simply Oasis's finest single in years. Hearing it the first time, it gave me flashbacks of hearing Definitely Maybe in 1994, particularly the songs Rock 'n Roll Star and Supersonic. Liam's beautiful ballad, and next single, I'm Outta Time follows, a song that Liam doesn't shy away from showing his affection towards his rock hero John Lennon, and expressing his vulnerability. The song even includes a Lennon soundbite from an interview he made with the BBC 2 days before his untimely death. In the song, Liam sings "If I'm to fall, would you be there to applaud? Or would you hide behind them all? Cos if I have to go, in my heart you'd grow. And that's where you belong."
Noel returns to the vocals in the next 2 songs, the first, the heavily psychedelic Get Off Your High Horse Lady, a song I've described as a cowboy ditty on acid. The second song is Noel's best, and one of the highlights on Dig Out Your Soul, the elusive Falling Down, where Noel questions his religious belief. Up next is the George Harrison influenced, Gem Archer penned To Be Where There's Life, a song that doesn't include any guitars, but relies mostly on bass, sitars, and Zak Starkey's drums. The song does feature the best singing by Liam on the entire album in my own humble opinion. Speaking of Liam, the next song is his second where he's credited as songwriter. The song is Ain't Got Nothin', and even though I despised the song when it first leaked online about 3 months ago, I've come to appreciate its straightforwardness. Andy Bell's The Nature of Reality is next, and it is one of my personal favorites on the album. A loud, heavily layered with cool guitar riffs influenced by The Beatles and to some extent Led Zeppelin, song, it succeeds thanks to Liam's snarling lines like "The nature of reality is pure subjective fantasy". It's also the closest sounding song to Definitely Maybe, particulary the song Columbia. The final song on the album is Soldier On, the third song written by Liam, which I also disliked at first before hearing it multiple times and appreciating its depth.

My final verdict on this album is that it is massive! Oasis are definitely back with a vengeance. For those who've had doubts about Oasis's legitamacy as one of the greatest rock bands of our time, this album will wash all that away!

Cheers!

Album rating: A-

Track picks:

Bag It Up
The Turning
The Shock of the Lightning
I'm Outta Time
Falling Down
To Be Where There's Life
The Nature of Reality
Soldier On

Spleen

Banned?
It's not like they ever left the spotlight to be honest, so it will not be a big surprise if this album is great. I'll definitely be checking it out.

I love Oasis! But my review of the new album is in no way biased.

Here's a summary of what I thought of all their albums:

1994's Definitely Maybe and 1995's What's The Story Morning Glory are two of the biggest rock classics in the history of music.

1997's Be Here Now was messy, way too overproduced, but had it's great moments (Don't Go Away, All Around The World, My Big Mouth, Fade In/Out).

2000's Standing On The Shoulder of Giants was bad, except for a few tracks (Who Feels Love, Gas Panic, Sunday Morning Call, Go Let It Out).

2002's Heathen Chemistry was good but flawed.

2005's Don't Believe The Truth was incredible but just a little sloppy in places.

2008's Dig Out Your Soul; a revelation!

My problem with Oasis, is that each new album is just too samey..

Most bands have a sound that evolves over time.. Oasis just seem to be stuck in a mid-nineties time warp.

and FWIW.. I'm not an 'Oasis-Hater' - I Loved 'Morning Glory', possibly a defining album of the 90's.

Most bands have a sound that evolves over time.. Oasis just seem to be stuck in a mid-nineties time warp.

and FWIW.. I'm not an 'Oasis-Hater' - I Loved 'Morning Glory', possibly a defining album of the 90's.

im sorry but if u listen to the sound of definately maybe and dig out your soul or dont believe the truth the 2 sounds are completely different.

ChefChiTown

The secret ingredient? MY BALLS
1994's Definitely Maybe and 1995's What's The Story Morning Glory are two of the biggest rock classics in the history of music.

Are you married to one of the band members or something? "Two of the biggest rock classics IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC"?!?!?!?!?! Surely, you have to be fucking joking. How much money are they paying you to promote their "comeback", seriously?

I would, in all honesty, put an album like Slaughter - Stick It To Ya, ahead of anything that Oasis has made, solely based on Up All Night. Yes, I'm dead serious. I would put a mildly catchy, cheesy as hell, hair band bonanza in front of anything that Oasis has created. That is how crappy Oasis is.

Other than Champagne Supernova and maybe Wonderwall, Oasis has never made a song that was tolerable to listen to.

Biggest...rock classics...in the history of music. :1orglaugh I have to show this to my dead grandmother. It might make her laugh so hard that it will bring her back to life.

I'll see you guys later, I'll be back in a bit.

"Hey mom, where is grandma buried again?"

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
Oasis was shit back in their "prime" they are even worse now!

Are you married to one of the band members or something? "Two of the biggest rock classics IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC"?!?!?!?!?! Surely, you have to be fucking joking. How much money are they paying you to promote their "comeback", seriously?

I would, in all honesty, put an album like Slaughter - Stick It To Ya, ahead of anything that Oasis has made, solely based on Up All Night. Yes, I'm dead serious. I would put a mildly catchy, cheesy as hell, hair band bonanza in front of anything that Oasis has created. That is how crappy Oasis is.

Other than Champagne Supernova and maybe Wonderwall, Oasis has never made a song that was tolerable to listen to.

Biggest...rock classics...in the history of music. :1orglaugh I have to show this to my dead grandmother. It might make her laugh so hard that it will bring her back to life.

I'll see you guys later, I'll be back in a bit.

"Hey mom, where is grandma buried again?"

My only response to you is, if you don't like Oasis, then why the fuck are you reading this post and you took the time to write a lengthy response to it. You must be a fucking idiot. Grandma's boy!

:p

They play straight out rock 'n roll music! Leave the evolution to other bands. You want rock 'n roll that will lift your spirit and make you feel good, Oasis is your band!

ChefChiTown

My only response to you is, if you don't like Oasis, then why the fuck are you reading this post and you took the time to write a lengthy response to it. You must be a fucking idiot. Grandma's boy!

:p

Because I'm a grown ass man and I can look at whatever threads I want to. Oh, and how about you be mature from now on and not insult my dead grandmother, mmmkay?

Oasis fucking sucks...deal with it.

I'm really looking forward to the album.

I was at the Toronto show recently where the tool attacked Noel. Was a great show up to that point, shame it ended how it did. It was great that they came back and played a few more tunes but it was clear they were no longer interested in the gig (I don't blame them for that, I probably would have stopped the show and said to hell with it). The 3 new tunes they played were awesome, especially The Shock of the Lightening.

I downloaded "Fallen Down" from iTunes a couple of weeks ago. I really like that song.

Chef: I liked the rock'em sock'em 'tude to your post...but then you mentioned Slaughter as your band of choice and I reached for my hankey....

Dude. Slaughter. Sucks. End of story. Maybe you should've said Toad the Wet Sprocket instead....harharhar

ChefChiTown

Chef: I liked the rock'em sock'em 'tude to your post...but then you mentioned Slaughter as your band of choice and I reached for my hankey....

Dude. Slaughter. Sucks. End of story.

That was my point. Even a crap band like SLAUGHTER is better than Oasis, IMO.

Who names their band after their last name anyway? SLAUGHTER does.

I'm really looking forward to the album.

I was at the Toronto show recently where the tool attacked Noel. Was a great show up to that point, shame it ended how it did. It was great that they came back and played a few more tunes but it was clear they were no longer interested in the gig (I don't blame them for that, I probably would have stopped the show and said to hell with it). The 3 new tunes they played were awesome, especially The Shock of the Lightening.

You were there?

Did Liam kick that fucker's ass? From what I saw on youtube, it looked like Liam gave him a punch while security were dragging him away.

I hope Noel regains his strength and comes back to touring soon.

I can't wait until they arrive here in Detroit.