• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Boxing discussion thread

As the title states, this is the thread for all things boxing related. Here's what's happening this month, broadcasters listed are US unless otherwise noted

January 8
ESPN2: Friday Night Fights season premiere

January 9
ZDF (Germany): Robert Stieglitz vs. Ruben Acosta, for Stieglitz's WBO Super Middleweight title

January 11
Juan Carlos Salgado vs. Takashi Uchiyama, for Salgado's WBA Junior Lightweight title

Main Event (Australia): Anthony Mundine vs. Robert Medley, middleweights

January 15
ESPN2: Friday Night Fights

SKY (UK): Rob Norton vs. David Dolan, rematch, for Norton's British/Commonwealth Cruiserweight titles; Graeme Higgninson vs. Martin Gethin, for vacant English Super Welterweight title

January 16
FOX Sports Net/FOX Sports en Espanol: Vanes Martirosyan vs. Kassim Ouma, super welterweights

January 22
Solar PPV: Brian Viloria vs. Carlos Tamara, for Viloria's IBF Light Flyweight title; Donnie Nietes vs. Ivan Meneses, for Nietes' WBO Strawweight title

SKY: Ian Napa vs. Jamie McDonnell, 12 rounds, for Napa's British bantamweight title

January 23
HBO: Juan Manuel Lopez vs. Steven Luevano, for Luevano's WBO Featherweight title; Yuriorkis Gamboa vs. Rogers Mtagwa, featherweights

January 29
ESPN2: Friday Night Fights

Showtime: ShoBox: The New Generation

SKY: Lee McAlister vs. Sam Amoako, for McAlister's Commonwealth Lightweight title

January 30
HBO, SKY, Main Event: Shane Mosley vs. Andre Berto, WBA/WBC Welterweight unification; Glen Johnson vs. Yusaf Mack, light heavyweights

FOX Sports en Espanol: Jorge Arce vs. Angky Ankota, for vacant WBO Super Flyweight title

ARD (Germany): Sebastian Sylvester vs. Pablo Navascues, for Sylvester's IBF Middleweight title

jasonk282

Banned
Re: 2010 Boxing discussion thread

I like boxing, but IMO MMA is just as good.

I do like ESPN's friday night fight, I get to see boxing for free. I really don;t want to shell out all the money for PPV.

Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey March 13?

From Top Rank's official Facebook:
http://i49.tinypic.com/33b2vqo.png

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24556

According to Top Rank's official facebook page, WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao will defend his title against former IBF champion Joshua Clottey on March 13. The venue was not discussed or the location but Top Rank's Bob Arum wanted to stage Pacquiao's next fight*in Las Vegas in either the MGM Grand or the Thomas & Mack Center.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2010/1/7/1240139/top-rank-says-manny-pacquiao

Clottey (35-3, 20 KO) will get another chance to break into the very, very elite of the sport. He lost a tough decision to Antonio Margarito back in 2006, and lost a rough, back-and-forth battle with Miguel Cotto in June. His first loss was a 1999 disqualification against former welterweight champion Carlos Baldomir.

Pacquiao, concerned about height, turns down Foreman

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24551

Pacquiao's U.S. business manager Michael Koncz told The Los Angeles Times that Manny was concerned with Foreman's height and rejected the fight as a result. Foreman is 5'11 and Pacquiao is 5'6 1/2. Foreman has several inches in reach and would have likely weighed between 165-170-pounds on fight*night.

Berto/Mosley

WBC welterweight Champion Andre Berto speaks to BoxingScene.com about his upcoming mega unification fight with WBA champion Shane Mosley.* While he respects Mosley, Berto wasn't too impressed with the future hall of famer's victory over Antonio Margarito.* Even with the year lay off Berto doesn't expect Mosley to be rusty and knows he needs to bring his "A" game to leave the ring with the victory.* See what else the young superstar in the making has to say in this exclusive interview.

Full Interview

BoxingScene.com:* Fighting Shane Mosley is obviously the biggest challenge of your career.* What made you and your team decide that you are ready for this fight at this time?
Andre Berto:* Well Mosley has always been of the fighters I have always looked up to while I was coming through the amateurs.* It is a good situation for me.* If I am going to jump in I would rather jump in the deep end of the pool because I believe he is one of the pound for pound best fighters out there. I am not going to half step it.* I want to fight the best.

BoxingScene.com:* How much of his win over Margarito do you think was Mosley and how much of it do you think was the fact that Margarito knew he didn't have the plaster in his wraps?*
Andre Berto:** (laughing)* I think it was a little bit of both.* I think Mosley having a new corner may have given him a little more confidence and he was going through a lot of personal things.* When it comes to Margarito it is just like a soldier that normally has an AK-47, [but now he*is]*walking out to battle with a butter knife instead.* He didn't have that same confidence and it definitely played a big part in the fight I believe.* Mosley did what he had to do and he made him pay for it and he took advantage of it.

Roach wants Khan to vacate

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24554

Trainer Freddie Roach has poured cold water over Amir Khan’s*mandatory WBA junior welterweight*title defence against the hard-hitting Argentine Marcos Maidana.* Roach today told The Sun that he believes that the Maidana fight is a high-risk, low-reward bout and that it should be avoided for the time being.
“It's a business and it's about the right fights at the right time. There are some good fights out there for Amir.* He can outbox Maidana but he's tough, a good puncher and you don't want to exchange with him too much,” revealed Roach.

Mosley vs. Williams?

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24532

"Sugar" Shane Mosley recently told BoxingScene.com he considers himself the best welterweight in the world and that he would like to fight any 147-pounder willing to step to the plate, including*Paul Williams. Dan Goossen, promoter for former welterweight champion Williams, said Williams would be glad to oblige Mosley, who Jan. 30 will take on Andre Berto at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.
"It's much safer to say it now when he has already got a fight lined up with Berto," Goossen said. "But we will certainly hold Shane to it. If he is successful in January, which is not a foregone conclusion, let's get a deal done for May."

mr google

Banned

I'm really looking forward to Shane Mosley vs. Andre Berto. :thumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to Shane Mosley vs. Andre Berto. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I think that fight's going to be great

Another story on Pacquiao/Clottey...

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4808708

With his fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. all but off, Manny Pacquiao has instead agreed to fight Joshua Clottey on March 13 at a site to be determined, Pacquiao trainer Freddie Roach told ESPN's Brian Kenny on Friday.
Clottey (35-3, 20 KOs) last fought in a split decision loss to welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto on June 13, a fight many believed Clottey won.
Clottey, who Friday was in his native Ghana, has not agreed to the fight, nor does he necessarily know about Pacquiao's inclination, Top Rank told ESPN.com.

There should be more info on the 6PM ET Sportscenter

Friday Night Fights is just starting now on ESPN2; Roman Karmazin vs. Dionisio Miranda will be the main event. Also, ESPN.com writer Dan Rafael will be in the studio with Brian Kenny. Rafael has already announced that Pacquiao/Clottey is official and will take place March 13 at Cowboys Stadium.

Damn, what a fight! Hell of a way to kick off the boxing year. Karmazin wins by 10th round KO. This fight was an eliminator for the IBF Middleweight title.

Other news from today:

http://espn.go.com/sports/boxing/no...l-weekend-notebook/david-haye-punch-back-talk

Toney vs. Tarver?
James Toney and Antonio Tarver, both 41-year-old former multitime champions who know how to talk up a fight, are discussing a potential spring bout, Toney promoter Dan Goossen told ESPN.com.
Toney, a former three-division champ, has been fighting at heavyweight since 2003. Tarver is a career light heavyweight. Goossen said the weight is being discussed. He said if the fight happens it could be anywhere from 200 to 210 pounds. Toney was 217 pounds for his last fight, a second-round knockout of Matt Greer in September. It was the lightest Toney (72-6-3, 44 KOs) has been since he was 217 for his 2003 knockout of Evander Holyfield.
Tarver (27-6, 19 KOs) hasn't fought since last May, when he lost his second consecutive light heavyweight title bout to Chad Dawson.

Options for Sergio Martinez
Lou DiBella, Martinez's promoter, said he's received an offer from the Williams camp about a rematch but has also talked with Top Rank's Bob Arum about a middleweight championship opportunity against Kelly Pavlik.

Adamek/Arreola possible in April
Cruiserweight champ Tomasz Adamek has big plans in the works if he can turn back Jason Estrada (16-2, 4 KOs) when they meet in a heavyweight fight Feb. 6. Adamek promoter Kathy Duva of Main Events and Goossen, who promotes Cristobal Arreola, are in talks to match Adamek and Arreola on HBO's "Boxing After Dark," potentially April 24. "Any deal we make would, of course, be contingent on Adamek winning his Feb. 6 fight," Duva told ESPN.com.

Marquez returns
Lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez will return May 1 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com. Marquez, who hasn't fought since being shut out by Floyd Mayweather in a September welterweight fight, is returning to 135 pounds to defend his title, Schaefer said.
Schaefer said with Hatton out of the immediate picture, the leading candidates to face Marquez are Juan Diaz and Michael Katsidis.

Wladimir Klitschko's next fight
Heavyweight champ Wladimir Klitschko (53-3, 47 KOs), who had surgery on his left shoulder to repair a tendon problem in July, returns to action on March 20, probably in Düsseldorf, Germany, to make a mandatory defense against American contender Eddie Chambers (35-1, 18 KOs), Bernd Boente, Klitschko's manager, told ESPN.com.
Boente said he is hoping to find an American television network to carry the bout, but that HBO isn't interested.

Vic Darchinyan
Junior bantamweight champ Vic Darchinyan (33-2-1, 27 KOs) will defend his belts March 6 on Showtime, promoter Gary Shaw told ESPN.com. Darchinyan, who will face an opponent to be determined, will open the card headlined by the Super Six tournament bout between super middleweight contenders Arthur Abraham and Andre Dirrell, which will likely take place in Rancho Mirage, Calif.

Sergei Dzindziruk wants out of Universum
Junior middleweight titlist Sergei Dzindziruk, unhappy with German promoter Universum, has been in litigation with the company in an effort to become a free agent. But, according to Universum, a German court upheld its contract. According to the court ruling made by the district court in Hamburg on Nov. 13, 2009, he is still bound by contract exclusively with Universum.

Mundine fight on 1/11 off

Anthony Mundine a dog for pulling out of Rob Medley fight

ANTHONY Mundine stands accused of "dogging'' his IBO world title bout against Rob Medley, which was sensationally cancelled yesterday after the controversial boxer abandoned ambitious plans to make light middleweight.

Light Heavyweight title fight 1/29 on FSN

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24573

In the 12-round main event, Spain's Gabriel Campillo will defend his WBA Light Heavyweight World Title against Las Vegas resident Beibut Shumenov, who will defend his IBA Light Heavyweight World Title, in a rematch of their heated 2009 title fight.* In that August bout, Campillo upset the odds in an exciting 12 rounder that saw both men hit the deck before the Spaniard took the razor-thin and highly controversial majority decision.
"Fight Night With De La Hoya and Hopkins: Campillo vs. Shumenov II" is presented by KZ Event Productions and Golden Boy Promotions, with Campillo vs. Shumenov presented in association with Sampson Boxing LLC.* The bout will be televised live on Fox Sports Net (FSN) and its regional sports network affiliates beginning at 11 pm ET / 8 pm PT (check local listings).
Also in action will be undefeated Cuban star Erislandy Lara, Uzbekistani standouts Gayrat Ahmedov and Ravshan Hudaynazarov, and hot California prospect Ronny Rios.

Edit on my previous post: Pacquiao/Clottey is not yet official as Clottey has not agreed to the fight. Cowboys Stadium is also not official as the venue, Arum will visit the stadium this weekend and talk to Jerry Jones Sunday to work out the specifics.
Dan Rafael said tonight that if he gets his license reinstated, Antonio Margarito will fight as the co-feature.

Last thing: Any German posters care to post updates on the Robert Stieglitz fight Saturday? It's going to air on ZDF, so I won't be able to see the fight unless I can find an online stream.

SgtMarine

Banned

That was a very good fight, come from behind KO, nice way to start the year.

Contrary to what I posted before, the Mundine fight is not off, it will go ahead as scheduled.

Other news from this weekend:

Mayweather/Mosley May 1st?
While Manny Pacquiao has moved on and plans to defend his WBO welterweight title against Joshua Clottey on March 13 in Dallas, Texas, Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been left without a solid option for his next fight. Mayweather is still scheduled to return on March 13 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas but there appears to be a chance that Mayweather might push his return to May 1 and fight Shane Mosley for the WBC/WBA welterweight titles - if*Mosley gets past Andre Berto on January 30. May 1 is a date that Golden Boy Promotions has been targeting for the return of Juan Manuel Marquez at the MGM Grand.

Marquez wanted 50-50 split, blood tests for Pacquiao
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told Sports Illustrated that he was approached on Thursday by Top Rank for a trilogy bout between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez.*A shocking demand was made by*Marquez. He requested a 50-50 split on the money with Pacquiao. For a guy*chasing a Pacquiao trilogy since their 2008 rematch, Marquez*found an amazing way to say "no*thank you."
In a move we all expected,*Marquez, like Floyd Mayweather Jr., made a demand for random Olympic style drug tests.Boxingscene.com reported December 24that Marquez would demand random drug tests for a trilogy bout with Pacquaio.

Pacquiao/Clottey finalized
BoxingScene.com spoke with a very excited Bob Arum [CEO for Top Rank] on Sunday afternoon. Arum just closed a deal with Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to stage Manny Pacquiao's defense of the WBO welterweight title against Joshua Clottey at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas, Texas on March 13. Arum and Top Rank president Todd duBoef flew to Texas on Saturday to meet with Jones. They sat and watched the Cowboys' big win over the Eagles. They plan to scale the venue for a crowd of 50,000 fans.
There is still no word on HBO's involvement with the pay-per-view. Arum would like to get HBO on board, but he plans to move forward either way.
A two day press tour is already in play. Pacquiao-Clottey will have the kick-off press conference on January 18 in Dallas and the next stop on the tour will be in New York on the 19th. He plans to pack the undercard with Hispanic talent. Former welterweight champion Antonio Margarito is one of the fighters they*are planning to put*on the show. A three fight undercard is being put together for the pay-per-view.

Pacquiao/Clottey set for Cowboys Stadium
Jerry Jones got his fight.
The owner of the Dallas Cowboys, who made a strong pitch to host the now-aborted Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight at Cowboys Stadium by offering a record $25 million site fee, landed the next best thing.
The new $1.2 billion state-of-the-art facility in Arlington, Texas, will host Pacquiao's March 13 pay-per-view welterweight title defense against Joshua Clottey.
The timing of the formal news conference has not been determined because Pacquiao still needs to come to the United States from the Philippines and Clottey is headed to the U.S. from Ghana.
Jones said the stadium won't be set for the full 100,000 seating capacity as was planned for a Pacquiao-Mayweather bout. Instead, they'll start in the 40,000-seat range.
Besides being the home field for the Cowboys and now the host for Pacquiao-Clottey, Cowboys Stadium hosts the annual AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic and will host the NBA All-Star Game next month, the 2011 Super Bowl and the 2014 NCAA men's basketball Final Four.
One of the stadium's most significant fan-friendly elements is the world's largest (and most expensive at $40 million) HD video board, which is 72 feet high and 160 feet wide. Jones said every fan, regardless of where they are seated, would have a good view of the action because of it.

Verbal battle: Celestino Caballero/Juan Manuel Lopez

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24580
IBF/WBA super bantamweight champion Celestino Caballero is not the happiest guy in the sport. He*returned some verbal*fire*after hearing about*the comments that were made on BoxingScene.com by Juan Manuel Lopez. For a better part of 2009, Caballero was chasing Juanma for a unification showdown at 122-pounds. After Caballero launched numerous attacks through the media,*Lopez was eventually baited into a verbal battle. There were*minor negotiations for*Lopez-Caballero*but*a deal was never reached.
"Celestino Caballero talked a lot and said he wanted the fight and that it didn't matter how much money he was going to make and that we just had to agree to the fight and he would take it. He even said he would fight for free to fight me. He said all that but he didn't back up his words. It was all lies," Lopez said.
"First off he thought he was worth more than he is worth and there wasn't enough money for the fight. He had his chance so now he has to wait in line.* He went back on his word from his original statement and now I left that division. We agreed to fight him and then he thought he was worth more than he is so he is the one who killed the fight."
Caballero disputes all of the above. He still claims to have the desire to fight Lopez for "free"*- and he would be willing to accept a clause where the "winner takes all" of the money. Due to Lopez's*recent comments, Caballero plans to lay the smack down, really.
"Not only has he proved himself to be a maricón, but he is also a coward and a liar. After he announced that he was going to fight [Steven] Luevano, I planned to leave him alone. Now I will never stop chasing*this maricón*for the rest of my career. I will go to Puerto Rico and confront him and smack him in the face like a cheap whore," Caballero said.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24600
Juan Manuel Lopez*reached out to BoxingScene.com to say that he is standing by his words. "Ryan, Caballero had his chance to fight me and priced himself out of the fight. I'm now fighting at featherweight and I want to beat the champions in this division.* I am not going to be engaged in a war of words. I'm focused on Luevano now and I am leaving it at that.* If our paths cross down the line so be it."

Stieglitz forces stoppage to retain title
WBO super middleweight champ Robert Stieglitz retained the title with a fifth round*stoppage of Argenentinian Ruben Eduardo Acosta. Acosta, a late sub for Edison Miranda, came out fast and seemed to surprise the champion with some wild hooks. Stieglitz, the much better boxer, grabbed command in the second and floored the challenger in the third with a left hook. Acosta was outboxed and knocked down* again early in the fifth by a right hook to the body. Stieglitz followed up well* and forced a stoppage at 1.48 of the round. It was scored 39-36 Stieglitz on all cards after four.

Amir Khan wants Hatton
WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan is good friends with Ricky Hatton but it won't stop the two of them from fighting. Khan knows Hatton is very close to retirement and he wants to fight the Manchester star very soon. Khan doesn't think his career will*be complete without a showdown with Hatton on his record.*He*doesn't buy the talk that Hatton is finished. Hatton is rumored to be in the process of planning a ring return for the middle of the year. Khan doesn't want to miss his shot at Hatton before the year is out.
“I would hate to get to the end of my career and look back at it and not have had the chance to fight Ricky Hatton. I still think Ricky has a bit left in him and I think he also has something he wants to prove to himself after the defeat by Pacquiao," Khan told Herald Scotland.
“I think I would beat Ricky and I also believe that maybe his style is good for me and the way I box. But Ricky is a proud fighter and he would maybe see a fight with me as a great way to go out on a high. We are at different stages in our careers and maybe the timing would be better for me than it would be for him but that is the way it sometimes goes in boxing. Fighters cross each other at different stages in their careers but I think it would make for a great fight."

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick

Joshua Clottey is NO joke! :nono:

Do you guys think the Pac/Mayweather fight will ever happen (while both are still in their prime)?

Do you guys think the Pac/Mayweather fight will ever happen (while both are still in their prime)?

Given the events of the last couple of weeks, I doubt Top Rank and Golden Boy work with each other for awhile. Based on that Marquez article, I don't think Manny fights anyone not with Top Rank

If what Atlas is saying is true, why would anyone want to fight Pac other than for a payday??